Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
Like the 6? I saw no evidence of that. Only that some bent as well. Someone would have to test it. We did see a 6+ bend with moderate force and a Note 3 not bend with a lot of force.

I love how you call nearly equal force one as moderate and one as a lot just to reinforce your perception

orangesauce

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
I bet I have my 6+ for years and it won't be bent, even though I carry it in my pants pocket every day.

The only thing that probably will be true is I will still be without a girlfriend. Phablets are not attractive fashion accessories.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
Bad news folks. He did a galaxy note 3 bend test and it doesn't bend at all. This issue is real.

http://youtu.be/FwM4ypi3at0

OMGF! I've got to go try this RIGHT NOW on my 2 y/o 5th gen Touch, which is even thinner than the 6's at 6.1mm vs 6.9 and 7.1. It's still perfectly flat and has survived many outings in my pocket because I never allowed it to experience any bending pressure because (1) common sense suggests it would not be good for it, and (2) it was uncomfortable for ME, but if I can forcefully bend it with my hands, what a POS it's been all along! Apple is doomed! Doomed!

braintumor

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
And would you say and 5 and 5s were also weak as they would bend easily like 6

Jeez folks, why bring up iphone 5(s) all the time? This is a different phone and this problem is going mainstream already after just 3 days!! Open your eyes...

If its true that the iphone 5(s) was already weak (but I doubt it was this weak), then this would only be worst for apple!

pish6969

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Will likely be a recall on 6+. At least that's what a friend of mine told me. The good news is everyone that has the early 6+ models will be able to get a newer stronger model

LandoVol

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
I really don't want to read through this giant thread to find out what happened. Did the op get a new phone for free? If someone could link me to the post I would appreciate it.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
Jeez folks, why bring up iphone 5(s) all the time? This is a different phone and this problem is going mainstream already after just 3 days!! Open your eyes...

If its true that the iphone 5(s) was already weak (but I doubt it was this weak), then this would only be worst for apple!

Because it had similar bending issues at launch and no one mentioned it 2 months ago as it was ultimately a non issue?

CMan0928

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2014
Boston
The race to get thinner and more streamlined has come with some drawbacks it would appear. If my iPhone 6 was bent on Day 5 because I put it in my front pants pocket for a few hours I'd be livid.

Ask the Genius who will inevitably give you a raft of sh-t about it being "user error" to show you where in the manual that came with the phone it says you can't keep the phone in your pocket because it will bend. It's a design flaw, not user error.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
OMGF! I've got to go try this RIGHT NOW on my 2 y/o 5th gen Touch, which is even thinner than the 6's at 6.1mm vs 6.9 and 7.1. It's still perfectly flat and has survived many outings in my pocket because I never allowed it to experience any bending pressure because (1) common sense suggests it would not be good for it, and (2) it was uncomfortable for ME, but if I can forcefully bend it with my hands, what a POS it's been all along! Apple is doomed! Doomed!

Dammit, I just tried it, and I bent it. I don't know who to blame more, the maker of that stupid video for putting the idea in my head or Apple for making such a delicate POS. On the one hand, my girlfriend seemed to be impressed by my feat of strength, but on the other, now I have to go buy a new 64 GB Touch, and I don't even know if there's going to be a new model this year. Thanks Obama.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
The race to get thinner and more streamlined has come with some drawbacks it would appear. If my iPhone 6 was bent on Day 5 because I put it in my front pants pocket for a few hours I'd be livid.

Ask the Genius who will inevitably give you a raft of sh-t about it being "user error" to show you where in the manual that came with the phone it says you can't keep the phone in your pocket because it will bend. It's a design flaw, not user error.

6 people after all the media attention today is still not a design flaw

Derpert

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
Will likely be a recall on 6+. At least that's what a friend of mine told me. The good news is everyone that has the early 6+ models will be able to get a newer stronger model
Potentially 5m+ iPhones at average of $1k each?

Holy sh#t

CMan0928

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2014
Boston
6 people after all the media attention today is still not a design flaw

Says you. If the problem persists it's a flaw. And I suspect more and more people will come forward with a similar issue. Are some phones made with a better quality aluminum than others? I doubt it. Therefore it's a flaw. The phone needs to maintain it's functionality and form.

toekneeg

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Orlando, FL
I bet I have my 6+ for years and it won't be bent, even though I carry it in my pants pocket every day.

The only thing that probably will be true is I will still be without a girlfriend. Phablets are not attractive fashion accessories.

I'd take that bet against you. I had three days of normal pocket use and the display isn't true anymore.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
Says you. If the problem persists it's a flaw. And I suspect more and more people will come forward with a similar issue. Are some phones made with a better quality aluminum than others? I doubt it. Therefore it's a flaw. The phone needs to maintain it's functionality and form.

If it gets to more than 10 tonight it's a flaw with all the media attention

ShaunaFish

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
I received my iPhone 6 Plus 64GB spacegray at about 3pm on Friday and set it up, but haven't worn it out that day, so it wasn't in my pocket.

Yesterday, I left at 10am with the iPhone in my left FRONT pocket of my suit pants. I drove 4 hours to a wedding, which also involved a lot of sitting during dinner etc but also 2-3 hours of dancing. I left at 2am and went to bed, driving home 4 hours back.

So in total, the 6 Plus was about 18 hours in my pocket while sitting mostly.

As I lay it on the coffee table and sat down on the couch to relax from the drive (yes, sitting again :rolleyes:), I saw the reflection of the window in the iPhones slightly distorted. Now I lay it flat with the display side on the table, take a look.

Maybe at 5.5" it is too thin?
Not only am I not surprised, I bet that true egg headed suckers of the Apple fasted will go as far as defending the bending design, and compare it to Samsung's new curved TVs.

kds786

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Tennessee
Those talking about the Note 3 not bending...the iPhone is made of metal/aluminum, correct? I didn't think the Note 3 was made of that. The metal/aluminum is going to bend. I'm not saying it SHOULD bend but if that metal is too thin it's going to. If the Note 3 is made of some other material on the back it may not be as pliable.

CMan0928

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2014
Boston
If it gets to more than 10 tonight it's a flaw with all the media attention

I'm not gonna argue this with you, Chief. Let's let the dust settle and see what happens. If you produce a phone that's so long and thin it bends, it's a flaw. And I'm not talking about some extraordinary circumstance that caused the bend, either. I'm talking about day to day normal use. Anything happening on Day 5 isn't "normal wear and tear." Despite Phil Schiller's insistence that the folks that received scuffs on their launch day and beyond iPhone 5's were just experiencing "normal wear and tear."

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
I'm not gonna argue this with you, Chief. Let's let the dust settle and see what happens. If you produce a phone that's so long and thin it bends, it's a flaw. And I'm not talking about some extraordinary circumstance that caused the bend, either. I'm talking about day to day normal use. Anything happening on Day 5 isn't "normal wear and tear." Despite Phil Schiller's insistence that the folks that received scuffs on their launch day and beyond iPhone 5's were just experiencing "normal wear and tear."

Yes let's wait a month

scrtagntman

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Those talking about the Note 3 not bending...the iPhone is made of metal/aluminum, correct? I didn't think the Note 3 was made of that. The metal/aluminum is going to bend. I'm not saying it SHOULD bend but if that metal is too thin it's going to. If the Note 3 is made of some other material on the back it may not be as pliable.

It's made of mostly plastic.

Let me ask this generally. Is it better to have a phone made of aluminum and have to cover it in plastic to make it durable or to just have a plastic phone?

I loved my 4s, but if the 6/6+ turn out to be too delicate I'd MUCH rather have a nice PLASTIC iPhone that is durable. Not that apple couldn't make them a little thicker or use something stronger like titanium. That would be the best alternative in my opinion.

toxicity033

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
well this is actually receiving a lot of attention, I just heard it on my radio station driving home and it's all over my facebook:confused:

WATTS1

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
Expect the iPhone 6S to have this issue ironed out (pardon the pun) and anything else that crops up. Those wanting an iPhone may be better served waiting for the refined S model.

Me? Well i'm rocking with my iPhone 6 and if truth be told i'm always extra super careful when using / holding / placing my iPhone day to day over any other make of phone.

It's this discipline that should hopefully see me with a perfectly level iPhone over the next 2 years.

Last edited:

msegina613

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Apple already has the fix for this.

AntennaGate = Free Bumper Case
BentGate = Free IRigid Bumper Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.