Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
Bowers & Wilkins P5 series 2, and iPhone 6

attachment.php

They were made for each other.

Attachments

• IMG_3351.JPG
    IMG_3351.JPG
    625.4 KB · Views: 2,039

MecPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
London
Looks like the Beats Studio 2.0 are going to be my next purchase.

I need Bluetooth, intergration with Siri and a good microphone. Unfortunately no other wireless headphones I have looked into are packing all three.

I have a budget of say, £400 and I am OK going that high. I just need these three things!

Oh, and portable too so I can travel on the London tubes with them on

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just bought these a few hours ago, Shure SE846:

Normally $999, got them on sale for 15% off.

Very good choice. How do you find them? Are they a significant improvement over the earlier models?

Ah. My headphones by preference are the B&W range (P5s, which are my day-to-day headphones, and the P7s which are also excellent), but I tried these out in an airport a few months ago, and must say that they are very good. If I didn't already have the B&W (which are excellent) I might have been tempted.

How do you find them?

Cosmo M3

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Ah. My headphones by preference are the B&W range (P5s, which are my day-to-day headphones, and the P7s which are also excellent), but I tried these out in an airport a few months ago, and must say that they are very good. If I didn't already have the B&W (which are excellent) I might have been tempted.

How do you find them?

Always wanted to try out either the B&W P7s or the B&O H6s but I like the "cleaner" sound of the Beoplays. Picked them up at the Apple store and love them so far. Super comfortable.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Very good choice. How do you find them? Are they a significant improvement over the earlier models?

Actually I haven't received them yet, they're due to arrive on Thursday.

My current IEM collection consists of:

Shure SE535
Shure E500PTH
Shure E4c
Westone 4R (my current favorite)
Westone 3

So I've got quite a few models to compare it to.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

Shure SE535
Shure E500PTH
Shure E4c
Westone 3

Is there any practical reason for owning so many IEMs? If so, what/how do you use each one? Sorry if I sound blunt or rude, I was just curious.

dbugger

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Springfield, MO
Uncomfortable as hell(?), although that was the 60s that I tried, looking at getting some 80s because the grado sound is pretty darn good.

I've had the 80i for a couple years now and they are great. The open design is best for private listening, but the sound quality is amazing.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Bowers & Wilkins P5 series 2, and iPhone 6

They were made for each other.

Well, my P5s are permanently joined to my iPod classic, so I know exactly where you are coming from. (And, as I have posted earlier, the B&W P5s are superb, a masterpiece of clean, elegant, classy design, comfortable, portable, beautifully made, and providing an excellent audio experience). My favourite - ever - headphones.

Always wanted to try out either the B&W P7s or the B&O H6s but I like the "cleaner" sound of the Beoplays. Picked them up at the Apple store and love them so far. Super comfortable.

The P7s are excellent, but - unlike the P5s, which were comfortable from the very beginning, and can be worn comfortably for hours - the P7s need a while to break in. The, they sound superb.

Shure SE535
Shure E500PTH
Shure E4c
Westone 3

I look forward to reading how you find them, and hope you enjoy them.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Is there any practical reason for owning so many IEMs? If so, what/how do you use each one? Sorry if I sound blunt or rude, I was just curious.

No practical reason at all. Audiophile personal audio is just a hobby of mine, and I can afford them. I usually listen to ALAC or hi-res FLAC files pumped through a separate DAC. Even for portable applications like when listening to music on my iPhone or iPod Touch, I rarely if ever directly connect headphones through the headphone jack - I use a Beyerdynamic A200p standalone DAC/amp that makes even lossy MP3 and AAC tracks sound good.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Bowers and Wilkins C5's. I'm amazed at how well they fit. Great sound too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 89

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

No practical reason at all. Audiophile personal audio is just a hobby of mine, and I can afford them. I usually listen to ALAC or hi-res FLAC files pumped through a separate DAC. Even for portable applications like when listening to music on my iPhone or iPod Touch, I rarely if ever directly connect headphones through the headphone jack - I use a Beyerdynamic A200p standalone DAC/amp that makes even lossy MP3 and AAC tracks sound good.

I own a few OEMs, as a drummer it's nice to have some different options for fold back/monitors, and for personal listening also (some used for exercise, some used for rambling around on the train, some used for indoor listening) etc.. I think that makes sense, right?

Edit: Normally, I will stay far away from compressed music, mp3s, etc, I find a lot is lost in the music, especially from the drums.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I own a few OEMs, as a drummer it's nice to have some different options for fold back/monitors, and for personal listening also (some used for exercise, some used for rambling around on the train, some used for indoor listening) etc.. I think that makes sense, right?

Edit: Normally, I will stay far away from compressed music, mp3s, etc, I find a lot is lost in the music, especially from the drums.

I kind of gave up on high quality digital formats. I'm just started a vinyl collection and just putting up with iTunes Radio/Match.

I do agree compressed music is awful.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I kind of gave up on high quality digital formats. I'm just started a vinyl collection and just putting up with iTunes Radio/Match.

I do agree compressed music is awful.

Well, I had hoped that BD-audio would have become a thing, but apparently that's smaller than my.... HDDVD collection.

I feel the same about my video collections, only BD rips for me now.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
That's what I was trying to say. It hasn't taken off. The convenience of digital media as opposed to 500MB song tracks is much more popular, so there has been no demand. Last time I checked there were barely a few hundred artist released BD-A's

Damn. Ah well. Vinyl won't be going away anytime soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.