Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you still buy the 6 Plus?

• Yes

Votes: 182 75.5%
  • No

Votes: 59 24.5%

• Total voters

ray737

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Absolutely!!! My iPhone plus is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Hopefully in the morning. Always take good care of my phones. Fortunately I don't wear skinny jeans. Plus fits perfectly in my jeans. Tried it out at the Apple Store.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Of course

Of course!

The first guy who went to the wedding and spent hours dancing as well as sitting and driving - that's one thing.

The other guy was "his friend" bent his phone - we don't know how that one happened.

The third guy was a video where the guy did it as obvious click bait where his hands were shaking he was applying so much force to bend it in half.

3 cases do not an epidemic make, it's all anecdotal.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Already own one and have no complaints. Haven't bent it either and i've been using it caseless.

zetti

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2012
If it bends through no fault of mine, Apple will have to replace it. If i bend it then I'm an idiot so yes I will be getting 6 plus.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I still plan on it, if and when they ever become available. And anyone notice that every other smartphone bends but only Apple gets the ridicule for it? And every video I've seen is people INTENTIONALLY bending it just to stir up the **** pot. Those are the people I hate just as much as Android fanboys.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I originally ordered the 6 Plus 64GB. But my carrier after promising me it would be delivered on the 19th of September (launch day) it never came and they rescheduled my delivery to between the 4th and 10th of October.

So I cancelled it and I decided to buy it directly from Apple instead, saving a lot of money in the process for essentially the same delivery date.

Meanwhile all this bad information has come out about the 6 Plus. Games that run at the native 1080p resolution have half the graphical performance as the non-Plus with its 720p display. This is to be expected of course but many of us thought that due to the 6 Plus being larger its graphics cores would run at a faster clock speed to compensate for the larger display. That is not the case.

Another thing that kinda annoyed me is the scaling situation, instead of running apps at 1920x1080 it runs them at 2208 x 1242 and then downsamples it to 1920x1080 so it's not pixel perfect but more importantly its even further burdening the graphics hardware making it render things at an even higher resolution and then compounding that with scaling. I've experienced how ****** this is on the Retina MacBook Pro when set to the higher than optimal retina setting and it's not a great experience.

Then finally we have this bending problem. And for me it's not any one of these issues that has turned me away from the 6 Plus, it's all three of them combined. I want the specs, I want OIS, I want a native 1080p panel. But for me and I'm just talking about my needs, it's too much sacrifice to get them.

So I re-ordered yesterday and I've gone with the iPhone 6, 64GB instead of the iPhone 6 Plus. Now I'm not saying the Plus is rubbish or anything like that, it's no doubt a fantastic phone but for me personally the display scaling, graphics performance and bending are too much for me.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I'm so torn.

The 6 is just not enough of an upgrade from my 5S for me.

It's the 6 Plus or nothing.

I'll just be watching it like a hawk for any changes, everyday.

Glene

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Ft Lauderdale
5 days into owning the 6+ and no bending issues - when I got it, I noticed that it was thin. (Duh) and therefore, unless walking straight ahead with the phone in my front pocket ,with no skinny jean crap, but normal pants, I took it out of my pocket when sitting. Seemed logical, AS IT IS A BIG ITEM (2nd Duh).

No problems and I don't anticipate any...

shady25

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Although I have the 6 I'm not worried about bending as much as dropping and smashing it. My case arrives in a few more days and I'm being extra careful pulling it out of my pocket. My iPhone 5 fit nicely in my bra but the 6 doesnt.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
I'm thinking this needs to be renamed from #bendgate to reflect the positive side of this...

#skinnyjeanpocalypse
-or-
#skinnyjeanmageddon

The end of skinny jeans will be as welcome as flannel shirts going out of style...

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I cancelled my ATT preorder last night.
Having the 6 made the decision a lot easier

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
i have the iphone 6 plus and no issues. I love it more everyday and when i look at the ip5, i was how did we manage without the bigger phone. Just browsing on cases.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Yeah I know, another bend thread. But where all other threads are concerned about how to bend or how to prevent the phone from bending, I'm trying to gauge how many people are actually considering not buying the Plus anymore because of this.

I have to be honest, I was dead set on getting a Plus. Already sold my iPad and thought the Plus was going to be my tablet and phone in one, but now I'm not sure anymore.

There's no bend gate. Someone close this thread.

tjlazer

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
Tacoma, WA USA
Bend gate starter in 2012 with the IPhone 5. I had it since day one. Never a issue with it bending. You all will be fine. Just don't store it in your hipster Jean pockets lol

ibis99

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
Yeah I know, another bend thread. But where all other threads are concerned about how to bend or how to prevent the phone from bending, I'm trying to gauge how many people are actually considering not buying the Plus anymore because of this.

I have to be honest, I was dead set on getting a Plus. Already sold my iPad and thought the Plus was going to be my tablet and phone in one, but now I'm not sure anymore.

Yes I'm going to buy one. Because I am NOT a moron.

purello

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2013
Way too many problems with the plus. Too heavy, too bendy, too slow in graphics because of the screen, too big. The screen is amazing. But the problems are many. The 6 takes the crown this year. Apple can fix all the problems next year. Make it rigid, stronger, faster than the small phone in graphics, add more ram. Etc

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Way too many problems with the plus. Too heavy, too bendy, too slow in graphics because of the screen, too big. The screen is amazing. But the problems are many. The 6 takes the crown this year. Apple can fix all the problems next year. Make it rigid, stronger, faster than the small phone in graphics, add more ram. Etc

Yeah, that explains why the OP poll shows most users wouldn't still buy the 6+.

Oh, wait...

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
As I've posted before on one or more of these bendy threads, my husband somehow ended up with his retina IPad mini getting a decent bend in it. He simply bent it back to straight and it still works great. So it's not just the iPhone 6Plus that can bend.

And it won't be most 6Pluses that bend, especially not ones that are housed in good solid cases. My 5s looks fabulous despite a lot of hard living in my pocket when I'm doing landscape/gardening work or playing with kids and dogs at the park because it's kept in a nice leather wallet case that protects it front and back.

I do think the anticipated S iteration will be better. I acknowledge there are some rough edges to the current release. But I'm looking forward to getting mine tomorrow. If I do trade it in for the smaller 6, it will be for reasons that have nothing to do with the fear of it bending.

ageller

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
I'm finally getting my iPhone 6 on Friday. I plan on keeping it in my pocket when I'm walking around, but when I'm sitting (mostly in class) I'll just take it out and put it in a small pocket of the bag I carry my rMBP in. My preordered a leather pouch and when that comes I'll probably do the same. For times when I'm going out, say to a restaurant, I'll just take it out and put it on the table with my pouch. (I have this weird thing when I can't place my naked iPhone on any surface.

When I'm at home all my iPhone sit on a leather box that I have which hasn't scratched any phone I've used.

I don't wear skinny jeans or baggy jeans, but I'm still kind of worried since I sit down for long periods of time.

BBD90

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Like I mentioned in the other thread, I am returning the iPhone 6 Plus because of the bending issue. I don't have time nor the patience to baby sit my phone.

My iPhone 3G, 4, 4S, and 5 were disregarded and treated like crap and help up like champs. Not bending, not squeaking, not even scratching much but the iPhone 6 Plus... I simply can't be bothered with it.

The bad news is I love the Plus and everything it has to offer but the good news is Apple also makes the iPhone 6 which is much more durable and better than the iPhone 5 in every way. Next year when they solve this problem I will buy the 6S Plus.

EDIT: The biggest slap in the face is that LG and Samsung have been doing Phablets for a while now and they clearly didn't have the same problem. It was a really stupid decision to have a 7.1 mm thick 5.5 inch Phablet now that I think about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.