Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you still buy the 6 Plus?

• Yes

Votes: 182 75.5%
  • No

Votes: 59 24.5%

• Total voters

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
Yeah I know, another bend thread. But where all other threads are concerned about how to bend or how to prevent the phone from bending, I'm trying to gauge how many people are actually considering not buying the Plus anymore because of this.

I have to be honest, I was dead set on getting a Plus. Already sold my iPad and thought the Plus was going to be my tablet and phone in one, but now I'm not sure anymore.

Shan S.

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
Actually I bought one the first day it was available in the store. I am going to keep it and not exchange it or anything . I am really surprised that people are bending them.

For example I can feel it get tight in the pocket sometimes and then immediately take it out..
For someone to bend it they really have to put a lot of force on it... It would not be an accident. I really think the people bending them are putting way to much force on it or really sitting with it in their back pocket...

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
I had the 6 on order already, thing the Plus is too large for me. If you want at Plus I don't think you should revert to the 6 because of this ... the design is very similar and while it might be a bit less pronounced, if the Plus has an issue the 6 will also have it.

Personally I'll wait a few more days to say how many more reports show up. I think there is an unfortunate design compromise and a bit disappointed Apple hasn't learnt from similar issues with the 5 and made it even worse, but I still want the phone and will probably keep it with AppleCare+.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Waiting on it. Kind of have to anyway though since the stock is so scarce, but if this turns out to be a legitimate issue I don't think I want it. I'm going to keep my phone in my pocket obviously lol there's just no way around that.

I'll see how many of these bends are reported and stuff and just hold out a bit.

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Not too worried, but I will be more careful in how I handle it, that's for sure.

I've been using a Note 2 for almost two years. Most of the time, I carry it in the pocket of my jacket. When carrying it in the front pocket of my pants, I generally take it out before sitting down. There have been times where I couldn't easily do that (no safe place to put it), forcing it to remain in the pocket while sitting, sometimes for many hours. It's still straight as an arrow though, but the Note 2 is a pretty fat boy compared to the iPhone 6 and I've always had it in a strong case.

I think I'll look around and see if I can find a decent looking holster of some sort. If not, I'll just make my own. I've crafted leather boots and bags for medieval reenactment in the past. Making a holster for an iPhone should be a fairly trivial matter compared to making your own boots! Until I get that squared away, I do have a miniature messenger bag that I sometimes use for my iPad mini.

karlwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah I know, another bend thread. But where all other threads are concerned about how to bend or how to prevent the phone from bending, I'm trying to gauge how many people are actually considering not buying the Plus anymore because of this.

I have to be honest, I was dead set on getting a Plus. Already sold my iPad and thought the Plus was going to be my tablet and phone in one, but now I'm not sure anymore.

I'm far from decided, but yes, it is a concern that keeps me from running out and buying the plus (or even the ip6) just yet. The user reports are pretty alarming, though there's still few of them. Until we know more I'm defenitely on the fence.

I need my smartphone to withstand normal use as I usually keep it in my front pocket.

Now my two year old iphone 5 is perfectly straight, but it's thicker and much shorter.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
First I need to test it at the store. After being sure it's the right choice I'll buy it. As Apple has always backed up replacing defective products when needed. Is Apple service still good? I haven't replaced anything is the last 2 years...

Beyond the 'bend gate' issue, I have always put them in a case and with the protruding camera and rounded edges, having a case seems like a must have, and it have to be a case with a stand and rigid to prevent the potential bending.
Apple Care for the iPhone is too expensive for something you know may happen.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
No way. After seeing the size and thickness my first impression was this can bend easily. The guy at Apple Store predicted that lots will want to exchange theirs for a 6.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I hate people. I really do.

I don't see how people's expectations of a phablet would include putting it in tight pockets. I spent £699 on my iPhone 6 Plus and as such I actually take care of it by NOT subjecting it to significant force, or dropping it. Same with all my property in general. That's probably why all my stuff stays in good condition and gives me years of reliable service.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
It's a nonissue honestly. I've had my 6+ for a few days now and haven't worried about it bending one time.

+1 get the Plus and enjoy it like it meant to be. Stop listening to all the Oscar the Grouch characters on their soap box...well their trash can about XYZ who haven't even owned the phone for one day. Try it for yourself and you will know what's best.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I have a hard time believing that this is anything more than yet another hyped up issue like we've seen so many times in the past. Take some anecdotal information and mix it with insecurity and buyer's remorse and you've got an iPhone drama. I'm not saying that someone's phone didn't get bent, and maybe it really was just from sitting down in tight pants, but the skeptic in me is hesitant to accept that at face value.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Being a really large thin aluminum iphone...people are just going to have to adjust. It won't fit in pockets the way a smaller phone will. And expecting it to is silly. If you jam an iphone 6 plus into tight pants and then sit for most of the day...um...what do you expect?

Perhaps when the iphone 6 is made from liquidmetal you won't have to worry...but for now...aluminum will bend if force is applied consistently. Just take care, and you'll be fine. Or put a case on it. Which I think you should anyway. I've held the 6 plus at the apple store, and with its thinness and curved edges, the darn thing slipped out of my hand numerous times. Plus a case will help keep it from bending like it would without one.

Anyway...just my two cents. Beautiful phone tho.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
Comeee oon! It's a freakin' feature! Why doesn't anyone get it?

1922524_10152739726158523_7170897975583956904_n.png

cmanbrazil

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
I hate people. I really do.

I don't see how people's expectations of a phablet would include putting it in tight pockets. I spent £699 on my iPhone 6 Plus and as such I actually take care of it by NOT subjecting it to significant force, or dropping it. Same with all my property in general. That's probably why all my stuff stays in good condition and gives me years of reliable service.

Well, your on a forum with a lot of people who feel differently. Most men I know who have large phones carry them in their front pockets.

I'm torn but most likely I will keep my 6 plus on back order. It will be in a case from day one and if it goes back it will be because I prefer the 6. I won't consider an android phone because I am too invested in apple's OS X and iOS to go with android. I am really excited about the handoff capabilities and I like iOS apps in general better than androids - I need to look at the productive apps again in the google store.

If android phones were a close second I would wait to see if this is truly an issue and then if it was I would switch to the android phone I like best. I am still holding out hope that these were defective phones or something.

I really hope these were defective phones. I do pay a premium for macs but they are built well and backed by apple when they have a problem.

Jukoer3426

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
Yes, doesn't phase me one bit. IT happens with any thin aluminum frame along with many other smartphones out there. I've had the EVO, galaxy, and 4 and 5/s NEVER had issues with iPhone bending. All had no case on them either. AND I wear tight jeans, yeah typical californian thing. :p People just need to get over it. I mean what do you expect from a thin aluminum frame?

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Well, your on a forum with a lot of people who feel differently. Most men I know who have large phones carry them in their front pockets.

I'm torn but most likely I will keep my 6 plus on back order. It will be in a case from day one and if it goes back it will be because I prefer the 6. I won't consider an android phone because I am too invested in apple's OS X and iOS to go with android. I am really excited about the handoff capabilities and I like iOS apps in general better than androids - I need to look at the productive apps again in the google store.

If android phones were a close second I would wait to see if this is truly an issue and then if it was I would switch to the android phone I like best. I am still holding out hope that these were defective phones or something.

I really hope these were defective phones. I do pay a premium for macs but they are built well and backed by apple when they have a problem.

I completely understand that, but one of the things I implicitly knew the minute Apple announced the iPhone 6 Plus was that it was going to be a large, and less practical device compared to it's smaller brother. As such I knew that having it in my front pockets wasn't going to be a practical thing to do with it.

Instead I put it in my back pocket when I'm walking around and take it out of my pockets when I'm sitting.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Yes. If it bends without me doing anything on purpose to it, I fully expect Apple to replace it.
This is my attitude towards the situation. I'm always careful with my tech, so like cambookpro, if it bends I will expect apple to replace it/exchange it for a 6 comparable in price (i.e. the 128 GB iPhone 6)

As for carrying my iPhone 6 Plus, it'll either be in my hoodie pocket or in my coat pocket (now that it's getting cold outside). As for the warmer months - cargo shorts xD

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I never considered the Plus due to its size. The 6 is exactly what I have been waiting on. The 5S was such a disappointment when they just made the screen taller. The iPhone 6 is what I wished the 5 was.

Anyway everyone has a choice to do as they wish. I would love the Plus but not to carry as my daily phone.;)

fmcarv

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
still getting one.

antennagate didnt put me off the 4 or 4s.
bendgate didnt put me off the 5 or the 5s.

bendgate 2 is not gonna put me off the 6+

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.