Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xpusostomos

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2014
It's called an iPhone PLUS for a reason. If a plus-sized person tries to fit into a pair of skinny jeans would it be alright for them to get a refund from Levi? I think not. Every reviewer has put the plus into the phablet category.

Sorry that this is news to you.

It is news to me because Apple has never admitted there is such a thing as a phablet. If apple says it is a phone, I believe them and expect to be able to do all the things I can do with other phones and previous iPhones

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IROcoJeVfSI

For anyone saying "well if you bend any phone it will do that" heres proof that's not the case. Also the 6 is far better than the 6+. I wanted bigger battery and screen but now if I go with an iphone will prolly get the 6.

Another video I found with not a lot of views, they apply 100 pounds exact force to the middle of a note 3 and an iphone 6+:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-lEnPwzAw

Second video is nice. I wish he did a closeup shot of the 6+ so I could see how much bend stayed in the phone after the pressure was removed. Honestly after 100 lbs of force, it didn't look like it was bent that much after the force was removed, but I am judging from the split second they show a halfway decent angle.

srichterss

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Well I don't mean any offence but the original complainant on Geek.com is not exactly svelte like, in fact quite the opposite so that might have some bearing on this!! And I speak as a fellow fat person too!!!

True that may be one cause. Mass is a key factor in Force which is required to bend things, add in the increased leverage of the phone's enormous length and this was bound to happen.

One "victim" said that he has bucket seats in his car and those seats push your legs up closer to your body than any other chair, creating a large bend in your pants right in the middle of the pocket. Try it right now, lift your knees up higher. When a smaller phone can slide in your pocket away from that, a phablet cannot move away from stress zones in the pocket like this. I'm convinced this is what happened to him.

And I don't believe the video of the guy bending the iPlus. First it was already bent before he started the video, I do not care what you have to say about it, that is bad science to not use a fresh control subject. Second he pushed with his thumbs right at the volume button, the weakest point. That is not how he performed the tests in the second video with the four phones, and he refused to test the iPlus in his second video. I wonder if its because he knew the results would have been different.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Second video is nice. I wish he did a closeup shot of the 6+ so I could see how much bend stayed in the phone after the pressure was removed. Honestly after 100 lbs of force, it didn't look like it was bent that much after the force was removed, but I am judging from the split second they show a halfway decent angle.

I think it would have bent a lot more if it was done towards the volume keys slightly. That seems to be where it's really weak.

tengtengvn

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2013
aYpgpZw_700b.jpg

Nsite

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Ok let's be honest here. I don't want to sound like a snubby snotty apple fan boy, but my experience with 'beautiful' products, in most cases, are that they require more maintenance, care, and consideration than the more practical and inexpensive counterparts. That being said, if you have a 950 dollar minicomputer that markets itself as elegant, beautiful, personal etc, (not indestructible, unnameable, or rugged) and you can't adapt in order to see to it it doesn't become harmed beyond what you feel is acceptable, you shouldnt buy such products; further, you don't appreciate them to begin with.

There is a reason that people who own luxury vehicles such as ferraris do not daily drive them. There are reasons that art collectors do not put their fine arts on their kitchen tables. There are reasons why people who own expensive jewelry don't wear it jogging- and that is not to say that Apple products are delicate, because they aren't really delicate- they do quite well for people who understand what they are- so you're going to say 'you can't compare a luxury car to a piece of technology you use everyday' and I'm going to say I sure as hell can. This is the problem with consumerism today. People believe that just because they can afford it they deserve it. The majority of people that buy beyond their means end up losing whatever it is they bought whether it be a car, house, or some other more than average investment because they did not take into consideration the responsibility and trade off that comes with having nice things. I don't know how many broken down bmw's I've seen in driveways of people that couldn't afford the maintenance. BMW markets itself as the ultimate driving machine, not the best bang for your buck, not the cheapest car to maintain etc. Theyre incredibly expensive to repair, minor cosmetic blemishes cost much more to restore, and they typically don't drive as long as cars that are economy based at half the price. But how many people who have the money to repair them, and or appreciate them, let them get to a crippling point of run down? Few.

There are cheaper phones that do more. There are more rugged thicker phones that won't bend. But none of those brands focus their rhetoric on 'design and elegance' the way apple does. Apple is like the Mont Blanc of hand held electronics. They don't claim to be more durable than it's competitors, they claim feats of engineering in an incredibly stylish package with class. You aren't listening. And it isn't your fault you didn't know your phone might bend- but to me it was common sense right away to take a little extra care of a thousand dollar gadget I use constantly throughout the day. If I didn't want to care about it, If I wanted something I could throw around, I wouldn't have bought apple.

Nice watches aren't any different, but somehow people believe that because it's electronics that it is different from the rest of class driven products such as jewelry. It's not. The problem is cell companies have deflated the understanding of how much a device costs by introducing their upgrade policies. If everyone had to pay full retail to buy this device they would think three times as hard as to what it is, why they want it, If they can afford it, or need it, or if a more economical less elegant and more practical device might meet their needs.

If mine bends, it's ok. I have the money to 'maintain' my investment. But I'm not to worried. I live on planet earth and I take into consideration what I'm actually buying before spending my money. That's why I am able to afford the maintenance of my car, house, and now my silly cell phone. I live within my means. So do I need a 950 dollar cell phone? Absolutely not. Do I appreciate what it is trying to achieve? You bet. A Rolex keeps the time just like a Casio. Casios can sometimes do what rolex's can't, Gshock is a good example of that. But a Casio is not a Rolex, and everyone knows exactly why. One is made of cheap parts and plastic, the other is a classy timeless feat of engineering that looks better on your wrist.

It's not about what 'you' think the device is, or who you think its for. IF you have been listening to apple over the past 13 years they've told you who it's for. People who appreciate design. Not people who believe they are entitled to it.

anthorumor

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2009
Sydney, Australia
The volume buttons is where the iPhone is at its weakest - those slimmer, yet longer cut outs for the volume buttons compromised the frame's structural integrity.
I bet the iPhone 5C with it's unapologetically plastic design makes it tougher.

Nsite

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014

I have had the 6 plus since release. I wear pretty nice slim fit jeans. I sat on it once in my back pocket getting into my car and thought right away this device is too big to make mistakes like that, so I started being more mindful.

My phone is not bent.

I know it's hard to admit when we are wrong, but I am willing to bet the majority of people who bent their phones did more than just 'put it in their front pocket and magically bent it'. I'm willing to bet accidents happen and the adjustment from their previous 22% stronger and smaller device wasnt as flawless as we would like to admit.

We all adjust to new technology, and we're creatures of habit. So you sat on your super new fancy phone. Just admit it and move on.

Last edited:

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Second video is great, perfect.

Please stop spreading that sensationalist first video, with no actual test data or methodology. You know better than that.

I mean its not a perfect test but the first one is still worth watching. Especially for people who were asking if the 6 had the same problems.

srichterss

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
The volume buttons is where the iPhone is at its weakest - those slimmer, yet longer cut outs for the volume buttons compromised the frame's structural integrity.
I bet the iPhone 5C with it's unapologetically plastic design makes it tougher.

You're are absolutely right. I bet Apple's next release will be a plastic version of the iPhone 6 Plus.

finepiks

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2012
I have had the 6 plus since release. I wear pretty nice slim fit jeans. I sat on it once in my back pocket getting into my car and thought right away this device is too big to make mistakes like that, so I started being more mindful.

My phone is not bent.

I know it's hard to admit when we are wrong, but I am willing to bet the majority of people who bent their phones did more than just 'put it in their front pocket and magically bent it'. I'm willing to bet accidents happen and the adjustment from their previous 22% stronger and smaller device wasnt as flawless as we would like to admit.

We all adjust to new technology, and we're creatures of habit. So you sat on your super new fancy phone. Just admit it and move on.

That sums it up nicely.

srichterss

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/09/24/is-the-iphone-6-plus-any-flimsier-than-other-phones/

"To keep something so thin from bending, he said, you'd have to use a material such as titanium, which is impractically expensive and carries environmental concerns. Designers may be better off focusing on more durable phone designs, Wiens said, rather than on the current obsession with thinner, lighter devices. And if people want a phone that slim, he said, they should think about how to safely store it...Regardless of what Apple may or may not do on the issue, this underscores what iPhone 6 Plus reviewers have been saying all along: Get a case for this phone."

cperchard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Antenna gate......scuff gate.....now bend gate.......how bout.....ENJOY YOUR EFFING PHONE GATE!!

Never had a problem with any iPhone I've ever owned, treat it properly like the expensive device that it is, and enjoy it ffs.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Antenna gate......scuff gate.....now bend gate.......how bout.....ENJOY YOUR EFFING PHONE GATE!!

Never had a problem with any iPhone I've ever owned, treat it properly like the expensive device that it is, and enjoy it ffs.

Translation:

I've never personally had a problem and that means everything is okay!

fmcarv

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014

Same here

No problem whatsoever and I've had every single iPhone since the iPhone 3G.

can't take out of my head this is corporate war by Samsung after seeing the 10M sale just in the first few countries it was launched.

srichterss

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
This was all bound to happen

This was all bound to happen. Everyone pushed Apple to make a larger phone even though it did not like the idea. So when they finally had to, they did it the Apple way, for optimal user experience; Thin and light in the hand to prevent fatigue and curved edges to prevent pressure points. But of course not everyone could be happy with it, it's incredible to read the comments of those who think they're so entitled to have a phone they can just shove in in their pocket and not worry about it breaking, and it cannot be any other way or who blame Apple for making a faulty product. Some people perform daily tasks with less grace than others; phones break and they always will. That is why they make cases for them and that is why there are other options.

Last edited:

fmcarv

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
This was all bound to happen. Everyone pushed Apple to make a larger phone even though it did not like the idea. So when they finally had to, they did it the Apple way, for optimal user experience; Thin and light in the hand to prevent fatigue and curved edges to prevent pressure points. But of course not everyone could be happy with it, it's incredible to read the comments of those who think they're so entitled to have a phone they can just shove in in their pocket and not worry about it breaking, and it cannot be any other way or who blame Apple for making a faulty product. Some people perform daily tasks with less grace than others; phones break and they always will. That is why they make cases for them and that is why there are other options.

#boring !!

Lictor

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
To keep something so thin from bending, he said, you'd have to use a material such as titanium, which is impractically expensive and carries environmental concerns

Errr... What happened to good old high quality steel ? To good old high quality polycarbonate ? True, they both are a little bit more expensive than aluminium, but not enough to put a dent in Apple profits. Or just to use structure to improve characteristics - for instance, Ikea makes reliable chairs out of cardboard just by being cleaver on structure (using honeycombs)?

Moreover, you don't need to replace the whole aluminium casing by another things. You can keep the aesthetics and just reinforce the invisible interior of the casing with steel or titanium or polycarbonates. From the videos, it seems the casing actually has a single point of failure, just under the SIM card tray and volume button. Just a tiny bit of steel or vertical metal support in that area might have been enough to avoid this whole mess...

fmcarv

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
True. Corporate war is much more exciting! Why else would I hear about this on the news when I am eating breakfast.

You doubt companies like Samsung wouldn't use dirty tactics to try and slow down the sale of probably the most sold iPhone there will ever be??

Don't you think it's odd only 2 or 3 cases appeared l??

With all the news sites reporting on this where is the jornalist interviewing the average Joe outside the Apple Store with a bent iPhone??

srichterss

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
You doubt companies like Samsung wouldn't use dirty tactics to try and slow down the sale of probably the most sold iPhone there will ever be??

Don't you think it's odd only 2 or 3 cases appeared l??

With all the news sites reporting on this where is the jornalist interviewing the average Joe outside the Apple Store with a bent iPhone??

No, I don't doubt it. I believe that someone paid journalists to pick up this story, any other alternative is too pathetic. I am just more annoyed by the hate comments that follow the news stories from people.

cperchard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Translation:

I've never personally had a problem and that means everything is okay!

I don't have problems cos i don't treat expensive objects like crap.......news flash, aluminium bends if you put enough pressure on it......dear god. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.