Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zBoost

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
Samsung wouldn't miss the opportunity...
10600574_781403795251039_2756272886488821982_n.jpg

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
So I'm thinking about buying the leather apple case. Will that provide enough support in the pocket or is there a better brand/model recommended? I don't want an otter box because it defeats the purpose in having a pocketable phone.

virtuosity

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
Ok let's be honest here. I don't want to sound like a snubby snotty apple fan boy, but my experience with 'beautiful' products, in most cases, are that they require more maintenance, care, and consideration than the more practical and inexpensive counterparts. That being said, if you have a 950 dollar minicomputer that markets itself as elegant, beautiful, personal etc, (not indestructible, unnameable, or rugged) and you can't adapt in order to see to it it doesn't become harmed beyond what you feel is acceptable, you shouldnt buy such products; further, you don't appreciate them to begin with.

There is a reason that people who own luxury vehicles such as ferraris do not daily drive them. There are reasons that art collectors do not put their fine arts on their kitchen tables. There are reasons why people who own expensive jewelry don't wear it jogging- and that is not to say that Apple products are delicate, because they aren't really delicate- they do quite well for people who understand what they are- so you're going to say 'you can't compare a luxury car to a piece of technology you use everyday' and I'm going to say I sure as hell can. This is the problem with consumerism today. People believe that just because they can afford it they deserve it. The majority of people that buy beyond their means end up losing whatever it is they bought whether it be a car, house, or some other more than average investment because they did not take into consideration the responsibility and trade off that comes with having nice things. I don't know how many broken down bmw's I've seen in driveways of people that couldn't afford the maintenance. BMW markets itself as the ultimate driving machine, not the best bang for your buck, not the cheapest car to maintain etc. Theyre incredibly expensive to repair, minor cosmetic blemishes cost much more to restore, and they typically don't drive as long as cars that are economy based at half the price. But how many people who have the money to repair them, and or appreciate them, let them get to a crippling point of run down? Few.

There are cheaper phones that do more. There are more rugged thicker phones that won't bend. But none of those brands focus their rhetoric on 'design and elegance' the way apple does. Apple is like the Mont Blanc of hand held electronics. They don't claim to be more durable than it's competitors, they claim feats of engineering in an incredibly stylish package with class. You aren't listening. And it isn't your fault you didn't know your phone might bend- but to me it was common sense right away to take a little extra care of a thousand dollar gadget I use constantly throughout the day. If I didn't want to care about it, If I wanted something I could throw around, I wouldn't have bought apple.

Nice watches aren't any different, but somehow people believe that because it's electronics that it is different from the rest of class driven products such as jewelry. It's not. The problem is cell companies have deflated the understanding of how much a device costs by introducing their upgrade policies. If everyone had to pay full retail to buy this device they would think three times as hard as to what it is, why they want it, If they can afford it, or need it, or if a more economical less elegant and more practical device might meet their needs.

If mine bends, it's ok. I have the money to 'maintain' my investment. But I'm not to worried. I live on planet earth and I take into consideration what I'm actually buying before spending my money. That's why I am able to afford the maintenance of my car, house, and now my silly cell phone. I live within my means. So do I need a 950 dollar cell phone? Absolutely not. Do I appreciate what it is trying to achieve? You bet. A Rolex keeps the time just like a Casio. Casios can sometimes do what rolex's can't, Gshock is a good example of that. But a Casio is not a Rolex, and everyone knows exactly why. One is made of cheap parts and plastic, the other is a classy timeless feat of engineering that looks better on your wrist.

It's not about what 'you' think the device is, or who you think its for. IF you have been listening to apple over the past 13 years they've told you who it's for. People who appreciate design. Not people who believe they are entitled to it.

Well said Sir. <<tips hat in general direction>>

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
You obviously exerted some extreme pressure, somewhere along the way; in flimsy suit pants, a phone just does not bend like this. People like you are opportunists, and/or are just shirking their responsibility to take care of an expensive item in a reasonable manner.

skanska

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
So I'm thinking about buying the leather apple case. Will that provide enough support in the pocket or is there a better brand/model recommended? I don't want an otter box because it defeats the purpose in having a pocketable phone.

Lol it's not pocketable there is no case available that will guarantee it

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
The bend test video we all know was unfair they need to use a new iphone 6+ without any bend.

If you see the video of the test the iphone 6 + was already damaged, and as you know a bend aluminum is a lot easier to bend. If the iphone 6 + of the video was 100% ok I am sure that it will not bend or it will be too difficult to bend.

Why nobody is speaking about this? Maybe the iphone 6 + was placed in the back pocket and that caused to bend, then after already having a bend issue it is easier to bend it with your hands.

It would be great that some one try to bend a new iphone without any bend to see how hard it is. Maybe it will be as hard as the iphone 6

Also I am sure that the iphone 6 + bends more easily because of heat, all metals bend easier when you heat them. If your are in a heat place or your iphone is too hot it will bend easier.

Someone needs to make more tests about the bend issue with more heat, cold, and more.

With 20 million visits the bend iphone 6 + video is too popular but I think it was done incorrectly and that video is an unfair test.

fmcarv

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah, people in here are ridiculous in the way they defend Apple from this bendgate issue. It is apparent there is a design flaw with the iPhone 6+. I am still waiting for mine and I haven't decided if I will keep it or not but I certainly wouldn't bury my head in the sand and act like there is nothing wrong.

There's no design flaw from Apple

The only flaw that exists is on people's brains!!!!

rhylin

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
Nowhere, USA
I've been saying all along these 2 or 3 cases of bent iPhones have been nothing but planted stories by Samsung to create havoc on the successful sale of the iPhone 6 and 6 plus.

Perhaps you aren't real, and are only here to distract me from replying or getting out of bed and having waffles.. I'll do both

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
I've been saying all along these 2 or 3 cases of bent iPhones have been nothing but planted stories by Samsung to create havoc on the successful sale of the iPhone 6 and 6 plus.

You think that is more logical than people putting a long thin phone in their pocket and having it bend when they sit?

fmcarv

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Perhaps you aren't real, and are only here to distract me from replying or getting out of bed and having waffles.. I'll do both

Strange there haven't been any more reports of bent iPhones.

Funny I get called sheep when it's people like you that actually follow without thinking....

Enjoy the waffle!

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
The bend test video we all know was unfair they need to use a new iphone 6+ without any bend.

If you see the video of the test the iphone 6 + was already damaged, and as you know a bend aluminum is a lot easier to bend. If the iphone 6 + of the video was 100% ok I am sure that it will not bend or it will be too difficult to bend.

Why nobody is speaking about this? Maybe the iphone 6 + was placed in the back pocket and that caused to bend, then after already having a bend issue it is easier to bend it with your hands.

It would be great that some one try to bend a new iphone without any bend to see how hard it is. Maybe it will be as hard as the iphone 6

Also I am sure that the iphone 6 + bends more easily because of heat, all metals bend easier when you heat them. If your are in a heat place or your iphone is too hot it will bend easier.

Someone needs to make more tests about the bend issue with more heat, cold, and more.

With 20 million visits the bend iphone 6 + video is too popular but I think it was done incorrectly and that video is an unfair test.

They weren't thinking of a "fair test" when they made that video. They were thinking "How much ad revenue can we get from this?". Pretty much the same that every other news site (MacRumors probably included) thinks when they milk a controversial topic.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
You think that is more logical than people putting a long thin phone in their pocket and having it bend when they sit?

How many further reports of people's phone genuinely bending have we seen?

None. The couple of bent phones we've seen since are so extremely bent it's obvious they've been done on purpose.

But hey, gotta get those ad revenues, and nothing brings in $$$ like a controversial news item which causes arguments (arguments = lots of page views).

fmcarv

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah

2 cases are reported in here by people that hadn't been users at Macrumours since the actual day they posted.

Story of these 2 people actually make it two main stream news sites and specific tech sites.

The 2 people affected quickly disappear

No other cases are heard of.

No one appears at Apple stores around the world with bent iPhones. (Surely this would be picked up by newspapers straight away)

Coincidence....

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
Can you imagine..

nearly 25 public cases here and twitter and facebook (search if you like) out of probably 8 million iPhones delivered all throughout the world.

You would think there would be at least 100 people publicly talking about it to be even 0.1 percent of a problem

and this is after every news outlet on tv, internet and radio has talked about it..its not like any iphone users are not aware. by now every iPhone user is aware, yet sitll just about 25.

fmcarv

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Can you imagine..

nearly 25 public cases here and twitter and facebook (search if you like) out of probably 8 million iPhones delivered all throughout the world.

You would think there would be at least 100 people publicly talking about it to be even 0.1 percent of a problem

and this is after every news outlet on tv, internet and radio has talked about it..its not like any iphone users are not aware. by now every iPhone user is aware, yet sitll just about 25.

25??

I've seen 2 plus the guy at Unboxing Therapy

Symtex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2005
because every single people who bought an iphone 6+ are macrumors users and they have reported the problem here.../end sarcasm

Seriously, maybe a bad batch on iphone 6+ got manufactured but if you look at the design from a structural point of view, it has higher weak point than the Note 2/3 per example. For a company that takes pride in quality, its a big no no.

I am owner of a Note 2. I switch to Android because Iphone didn't make bigger screen. I have my phone in my pocket at all time. I never have to worry if I was going to bend it or not. I know there is some something people out there that are probably responsible for their misadventure but Apple has to design a phone that is rugged enough to survive the suburban jungle of everyday life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.