Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Next year they will probably make both phones more rigid to fix the bending problem. By the time the iphone 7's come out I bet the 4.7 will be a 5.0" 1080p device -- which is the perfect size IMO. Would Apple decrease the size of the plus to say 5.3" or something and narrow the bezels. Who knows. Least they will narrow the bezels and make it lighter.

This year's 4.7 shoulda been a 5.0 1080p device. Apple always takes their time.

I love how we are looking forward to the next years phone...hah we are addicts! I do agree though a 5" screen where the dimensions or screens are more towards the edges to keep 4.7 form factor and 1080p

now that is sick right there. :)

purello

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2013
Exactly 5.0 or 5.1" 1080p phone would be perfect. I wouldn't even think which one to get. It would be automatic

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
Next year's phone will be the same as this years, aside from maybe internal changes.

When was the last time Apple didn't go two years with the same design?

purello

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2013
Yep ur right. Next year's will fix the bending problem along with newer internals. Maybe they might make the 4.7 1080p and the 5.5 higher than 1080p or whatever the real native res is on the plus before downscaling

DanUC6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
You can add me to the list. I still think the screen on the plus is the best. So great to view that much stuff on one screen. Two things that just kept getting to me was shuffling my hands constantly to get a decent grip and the phone being massive in my pocket. I move around a lot and need the phone close to me at all times. I had no issue using the iPhone 6 Plus two handed. Really going to miss the screen real estate but in the end I just couldn't compromise. I like the 6 alot. I have pretty large hands and I am able to reach everything on the 6. In the end I wish they just came out with one phone....I've been so stressed with the decision this week...lol.

DelMac

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
So many people I agreed with and wanted to quote in this post. I too preordered my 6 Plus basing my decision on videos, cutouts, and the mentality that if I was upgrading it was going to be to the largest phone Apple made. I even preordered the Apple leather case since I was certain I was going to love it. I got the case two days before the phone and proceeded to do pocket tests with it, no problem there and the case felt fine in my hand. It wasn't until I finally got my phone last friday that I knew I had made a mistake. The first bad sign was the box. It was huge. Once I opened it and put the phone in the case, I immediately realized how tall it was (please cut down the bezels in the next iteration Apple). No big deal, I figured I'd get used to it.

Now is when things really went south for me. First, the width of the phone made it hard for me to hold it comfortably. It's like the muscle memory in my hand wasn't used to having me extend my fingers that much to hold a phone. Second, my thumb only reached a little higher than half way above the screen and the corners were hard to reach. I had to let the phone slide down or pull it back up depending which corner I was trying to reach. At this point, I tried two handed operation. It made things easier but not much more comfortable at all. I kept trying to see if it felt better in portrait or in landscape mode. Texting was bad in landscape (they should have included a split keyboard like on the iPads). Portrait felt better but it looked worse. Using Safari and looking at videos and websites was nice but all my apps looked horrible since none were optimized for the screen and many still aren't (talk about bad timing for Apple, app makers, and consumers wanting to see the benefits of a large screen immediately). That was a problem since I only had 14 days to exchange the phone and with the shortage of new iPhones, I didn't want to wait weeks for an iPhone 6. And to add to all that, iOS 8 on the 6 Plus seems to be buggier than on the 6. Landscape and portrait mode would get stuck, a couple random resets. It just felt like the Plus was being maxed out even though I only had Safari and the music app open. And the music app might have been the biggest issue for me. I listen to music on my phone almost as much as I surf the web on it. I'm used to one handed operation to quickly scan up and down all my albums which was not possible with the Plus. I knew this would be a problem all day long for me at work, at the gym, and everywhere else. I listen to music more than watch videos so the 6 made sense for me.

By Saturday morning I had made my decision. I went to my local Apple store where a hundred people were lined up for a new phone. An hour later I saw the 6 for the first time in person and immediately knew it was the right size for me. In the end the only thing I miss from the 6 Plus is the battery life. I've never had second thoughts regarding a single Apple product that I've bought, from iMacs to MB Airs to iPads and iPods until then and that totally sealed the deal for me that the iPhone 6 Plus was not right for me BUT I am eagerly anticipating what Apple's next version will look like. We'll see..

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
Haha the box shocked me too when UPS came...I cut open the outer box and then saw the Apple box inside and thought HOLY CRAP this thing is going to be HUGE. And it was. :(

wesker

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
I ordered the 6+ and I was fine with its large size. I've used Galaxy Notes with no issues.

However, what has me really really concerned is the bending issue. I'm not one to put my iPhone in my back pocket and sit on it. Most of my pants have large pockets. And I treat my smartphones like the delicate technology they are.

But I believe the iPhone 6+ design does have structural issues and I'm worried how my iPhone will be like after 2 years of use. So I am strongly considering going to the iPhone 6 instead. Just waiting to see what new information will come out over the next few weeks (not getting my 6+ till mid October).

bwapod

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
Had both delivered last Friday. LOVED the screen and battery on the plus, and used it as my daily driver for almost a week... but just found it too difficult to handle.

Sent it back last night, which was tough to do but the 6 is perfect, size/weight-wise.

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
I just came from the apple store. Exchanged my 6 plus for a 6. The plus is beautiful, but after 1 week of use, it just didn't "feel" right. It only felt right, when I was at home sitting on the couch watching movies, youtube, browsing web and email. Outside it felt "forced".

Makes me think about the 17" powerbook/macbook pro. Its a bigger, more beautiful screen than the 15", but in the end its just too big.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
This forum while you have to wade through the bs and children posting opinion as fact has a lot of great posts and users.

Let's start off by saying I love the 6+ screen and screen size, man is it a great phone. I am a lucky one too my phone has no dead pixels, straight line on the back no bending :) this baby is in pristine working order. I own an ipad mini retina and when that and the ipad air first came out i went with the mini retina as it felt more comfortable to me.

I always said that if the mini retina was a phone as well I'd rock that puppy straight to the face for a phone call (in jest) so I thought the 6+ would be the right screen size. It really is.

The problem comes in the form factor I think for me, FOR ME FOR ME (I emphasize that as I welcome opinions) but I am not trying to impose my thought on the 6 being better or 6+ being better let's just know or assume they are the same phone with different screen sizes.

the 6+ with it's thin form factor it is basically too wide for me, I feel it difficult to hold for long period of times for both phone calls and general use.

I said when the rumors came out of the two sizes I'm going with the bigger because I could never own a 4.7 knowing that a bigger screen was available in the 5.5 (consider me excessive)

I guess my adult conscience is finally winning and leaning me toward the 6. out of all the posts I saw, I think I only saw one person saying they went from 6+ to 6 and regret it and want to go back to the 6+

Those that have exchanged was it easy to exchange at your store? did they give you a phone even if it did not necessarily say they have stock?

are you happy with the exchange and staying at 4.7 or thinking of going back?

*edit* not sure if it matters but I'm 6"1 180lbs am very sports active (normal to avg size hands Id say)

So at the moment if you want to swap your phone I think all you need to do is reserve the model you want online, then during the process just mention you want to do the return. It can be done this way.

Also I'm worried I'll feel the same way. I've got a 6+ reserved for pick-up tomorrow but I'm in two minds. On the one hand it is perfect on paper seeing as I mostly use my phone for browsing, reading and watching movies.

I think the screen resolution is a must. I'll notice the pixel density (and the drop the regular 6 will be over my current Android). Also a bigger battery would be great seeing as I have absolutely long-ass days at Uni/Work. Also OIS is just damn appealing, I'll be using the camera on it A LOT.

That being said it might be awkward to live with day-to-day.

Will it be uncomfortable in jeans pockets (with a case ;)) when I'm walking around?

Is it going to be awkward to pull out on a busy train carriage to change track?

Is it easy to handle for when I want to quickly reply to a message on the go?

I've got about 10 hours to decide :p

aplcore

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
I still want to get the 6+ which is the part I find most strange. This is the most I have ever been on the fence about any Apple product. It is not as fun to view stuff on the 6.

I think the ergonomic misstep is how thin it is. My friend has the Note 3 I think and with the textured sides and thicker form factor, I can hold that thing without any real problems. I feel like I am holding a small folder with the 6+. Seeing all of the android devices with 5.5 inch screens that are smaller with higher pixel density makes me wonder why they didn't just knock this thing out of the park.

Ideal size would have been 5" and 32/64/128 memory. That is the sweet spot. Giving people two sizes that go towards opposite ends of the spectrum wasn't the best foot forward for Apple. I miss Steve. Don't see how he would have let the 6+ go to market as is.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
The 6 was always going to be the big seller here.

Many want the best Apple phone available however what we have is a very slim iphone 6. 6 plus is a niche like the Galaxy note so many will be let down. Surprised so many in the forun initially ordered a plus.

You can get a 6 64gb for the price of a 16gb plus so if that's your budget perhaps larger capacity is better? Not missing much with one extra camera feature and a few software tweaks. I'm sure the 4"7 might get landscape in the future maybe with ios9?

----------

Yep ur right. Next year's will fix the bending problem along with newer internals. Maybe they might make the 4.7 1080p and the 5.5 higher than 1080p or whatever the real native res is on the plus before downscaling

Just like the finger print works better this year.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Lots of interesting comments on this thread. Still on the fence, but leaning towards the 6. I tend to make a few trips to the Apple store before I buy.

For me, it comes down to this:
6: Feels great in hand, can do everything with one hand like with my 5S. Looks great. But is it enough of a change from the 5S?

6 Plus: Great, but need to two-hand more than I am used to. My guess is that this would get frustrating for me. Might be able to get used to this, might not. Super for iBooks. Fits better in a front pocket than I ever would have thought.

tribestros

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011

"problem"

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
I exchanged my 6 plus for a 6 and happy I did it. Like you, I too think the plus is amazing and great but I also agree that it's way too big for my everyday use. I absolutely love the 6. Nice bit screen bit I'm still able to use it one handed....while the camera is great I really wish it was equal to the 6 plus. Can't wait do the next go around. Maybe in the 6s?

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
6 is a big difference from the 5S in how it feels in your hand and the green is a significant increase in quality and size.

rhylin

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
Nowhere, USA
6 is the way to go for portability, it's not even up for debate.. The ones who say otherwise are only kidding themselves, sold plus and picked up 6.... Awesomesauce

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I exchanged my 6 plus for a 6 and happy I did it. Like you, I too think the plus is amazing and great but I also agree that it's way too big for my everyday use. I absolutely love the 6. Nice bit screen bit I'm still able to use it one handed....while the camera is great I really wish it was equal to the 6 plus. Can't wait do the next go around. Maybe in the 6s?

I have to say I'm not noticing the benefits of OIS that much even in low light. Both take awesome pictures in the dark with only minute differences in background detail.

carrerascott

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2009
Returning our pluses and getting 6s tomorrow. The plus would be a great micro ipad. But for me it's too big for a phone... Everything is slower because I either have to use two hands or really reach or go landscape. Think the 6 will be much more efficient.

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
I swapped my 64GB Plus with a 64GB 6 & $100 to a guy on Craigslist today, and I definitely feel that I made the right decision. The 6 is the perfect size for me. I loved the plus, but I just use my phone one handed so much, and I couldn't do that with plus without it getting very uncomfortable. I'll miss the battery life, but honesty I can't even notice the extra PPI of the plus compared to the 6.

infoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
So at the moment if you want to swap your phone I think all you need to do is reserve the model you want online, then during the process just mention you want to do the return. It can be done this way.

Also I'm worried I'll feel the same way. I've got a 6+ reserved for pick-up tomorrow but I'm in two minds. On the one hand it is perfect on paper seeing as I mostly use my phone for browsing, reading and watching movies.

I think the screen resolution is a must. I'll notice the pixel density (and the drop the regular 6 will be over my current Android). Also a bigger battery would be great seeing as I have absolutely long-ass days at Uni/Work. Also OIS is just damn appealing, I'll be using the camera on it A LOT.

That being said it might be awkward to live with day-to-day.

Will it be uncomfortable in jeans pockets (with a case ;)) when I'm walking around?

Is it going to be awkward to pull out on a busy train carriage to change track?

Is it easy to handle for when I want to quickly reply to a message on the go?

I've got about 10 hours to decide :p

Where do you go for reservation?

When you all did the exchange did you just stroll in to the store and get it done? I tried today but it was out of stock.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.