Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rvancil

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Changed both my wife and I's 6+ for the regular 6 and we are much happier. I think apple would have been better off had they just done a 5.0 or 5.2 size instead, but the 6 is by far easier to use than the plus. Typing is what got us, even after a few days of really giving it a shot, neither of us were typing as fast or as comfortably as before. And at some point, the big one would have definitely gotten at least one of us in a car accident...lol

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
They're both great phones. If you're not happy with what you have, try the other one. :D

For me, I love the Plus. The benefits far outweigh the small portability different.

:apple:

jsmakr

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2008
Wait at least week and keep using it before you exchange!! 6 days in now and zero thoughts now of downsizing when I was constantly flip flopping the first 4 days.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I was pretty set on the plus untill I realized its not as easy to travel with it seems like you have to carry it in your hand everywhere

Roger this.

After the first couple months of ownership of my Note 3, I started noticing that almost every single picture someone took of me had me carrying the Note 3 in my hand. I looked like a tool (well, more so than usual). It really stuck with me that my phablet was pretty much an accessory now, and one that I was hand-carrying all the time because it was just too difficult to constantly stow it away in something where I'd have to dig it out to use it.

Given how many "Return it/Buy one for a few days and return it" posts I'm seeing, Apple should be relatively flush with refurb stock this go-round.

Last edited:

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
My Plus is always in my pocket because if I held it all the time, I know I'll drop it.

I am tempted to downsize to the regular 6 but I love the big screen :D

infoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
My Plus is always in my pocket because if I held it all the time, I know I'll drop it.

I am tempted to downsize to the regular 6 but I love the big screen :D

this is how it started for me. Barely using the phone because I don't want to walk and hold it or take it out for fear of dropping it. NO WAY TO LIVE I TELL YOU! :eek:

#Firstworldproblems for real lol :p

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
this is not a bad option but how does it work? i need to buy an unlocked one? if i return my 6+ that is subsidized can they then return the 6 and get me in an at&t subsidized one? seems a bit of extra steps which I do not mind but just not sure how it would work.

The subsidy will probably create a problem. Going back and forth with buying and returning may be more trouble than it's worth.

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Honestly kind of regret it. After using the 6+ the 6 doesn't feel like much of an upgrade to me

golfdude

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2005
After almost a week on the 6 it seems very natural, the first couple of days it felt big. I couldn't go back to the 5s now. I imagine if you had the 6+ you would get used to it. I have one on order, adding a line, if I like it I will keep it, if I don't my wife may get it.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Honestly kind of regret it. After using the 6+ the 6 doesn't feel like much of an upgrade to me

I'm feeling the same way. I have a 6+ now and ordered a 6 to see if it's enough for me to switch. I love the larger screen, but hate that it's now a two handed device. Part of me says we won't see its potential till iOS 9. Sure developers will update their apps, but the OS won't get functionality with a 8.x update. Right now it feels like a large iphone with a few neat tricks. But not sure if it's worth it.

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
this is how it started for me. Barely using the phone because I don't want to walk and hold it or take it out for fear of dropping it. NO WAY TO LIVE I TELL YOU! :eek:

#Firstworldproblems for real lol :p

Not really, because I hardly use it as a phone and when I use it I use it when I'm still. If I had the 6 I would do the same. I have always done that with every single phone I own. I don't want to bump into anyone.

According to your first post it seems like you made your choice. Hope you enjoy it.

carrerascott

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2009
Ordered both and think I'm sticking with the 6. Love Love Love the screen and size of the Plus when I'm sitting around or lying in bed... but not when I'm walking around or out and about. The 6 is just more portable. To each their own, not saying what anyone else should do! But, I'm going with the 6.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
OP checking back in here...so far great, respectful comments lets keep it that way. I wonder if they will change the 7 to a 5" screen maybe there will be no need to. we all know eventually something will change. I sure would love to be able to keep that screen size in something more wield-y.

I held the lg g3 for a day and it felt great...for some reason this is different.

I do think that the 7 will be some combination of larger screens and smaller form factors, owed to shrinkage of the top and bottom bezels. Not sure how they'll do it, but that's my guess.

In general, I would wait until the last possible moment before deciding. IOW, use the 6+ as much as for as long as possible to see if you get used to it. If not, make the exchange.

BTW I tip my hat to you for the tone of your OP and this thread in general. Too bad so many of the other threads devolved so quickly and so badly.

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
Went to the Apple Store and held and played with the 6 and 6+. I knew right away the 6+ was way too large. IMHO, a 4.5-5" phone is the perfect sweet spot for screen size and still being super portable.

Loving my 6. Had to use my 5S briefly yesterday during the whole 8.01 fiasco and the 5S felt tiny, almost like a toy phone lol.

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Ordered both and think I'm sticking with the 6. Love Love Love the screen and size of the Plus when I'm sitting around or lying in bed... but not when I'm walking around or out and about. The 6 is just more portable. To each their own, not saying what anyone else should do! But, I'm going with the 6.

So tempted to open my boxed 6 now :eek:

dvdvd

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2009
I'm in the same boat as you. I absolutely loved the 6+. The screen, the camera, and the battery has all been magnificent. The only flaw I first noticed was how the phone would occasionally lag and wouldn't recognize touch inputs.

But after a while, I realized I couldn't reach about 50% of the screen with just one hand. I began reading reviews for the iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6+ and found that there's little difference between the two save for the larger screen and battery. I thought I'd love the OIS in the 6+, but it no longer justified the larger form factor.

I tried out the 4.7 inch and found that it was still perfect to use in one hand. I'm probably going to change phones out within the week.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I haven't lived with either yet but I did mess with them at the Apple Store for about 30min.

I walked in thinking I'd for sure go with the 6.

But after messing with them, the 6+ grew on me immediately.

I'd like to have the Plus replace both my phone and Mini.

slester

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
I returned mine on Monday. I highly recommend that you "exchange" if at all possible. I have lost my upgrade eligibility and currently cannot purchase another phone until Apple syncs their system with AT&T's.

infoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I haven't lived with either yet but I did mess with them at the Apple Store for about 30min.

I have the 6 plus and the mini. I don't see for me personally the 6 plus replacing the mini. Remember each person has their own usage. the mini is a family device now that the baby uses to watch disney stuff on while he's eating or mom is entertaining him. I still pickup the mini to browse over the 6+ because of how the 6+ feels in the hand. It's great screen size, I just seem to miss the portability of a smaller form factor form.

I definitely wish I did not have this urge or thought to go to the smaller phone. I am going to give it some more time to see if I can't live without it :)

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014

That's the problem with the 6+...using it as a demo or for a short period of time, it *seems* like a great idea. I made a cardboard mockup of it before ordering and though it was fine, so I ordered it. It's when you actually use everyday, doing things that you were instinctively used to that you start seeing the problems. People said at first that you get used to it, to give it a few days. I found it to be the opposite...it was better in the first day but as days go by and you try to do more with it, you actually start to see the problems with it.

NeilSpoon

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
I haven't bought any yet, but my mind was 100% set on the 6+. I have reviewed the experiences shared on here and of course kept a close eye on this bending issue.

I now will order the normal 6. I just think the 6+ will be too big to carry around without having to constantly worry about it, as I am not convinced about the structural design.

A second consideration is that I don't think there is enough added functionality. The only thing is the landscape mode really. It is just an oversized phone. I would expect to be able to properly split the screen between 2 apps for instance. Or have proper widgets on the home and/or lock screen.

I probably will be annoyed with the battery life of the 6, but that alone would not be enough reason to go for the 6+ taking into account the portability issues. I also don't think the OIS will add that much value (although I am annoyed it was not included on both phones).

I will take the 6 on a 1 year contract and see what they do with the 6S/6S plus.

infoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
That's the problem with the 6+...using it as a demo or for a short period of time, it *seems* like a great idea. I made a cardboard mockup of it before ordering and though it was fine, so I ordered it. It's when you actually use everyday, doing things that you were instinctively used to that you start seeing the problems. People said at first that you get used to it, to give it a few days. I found it to be the opposite...it was better in the first day but as days go by and you try to do more with it, you actually start to see the problems with it.

damn you and your logic. This is the correct answer for me. I want the 6+ to be the more comfortable phone it's been less comfortable the more I use it.

----------

I haven't bought any yet, but my mind was 100% set on the 6+. I have reviewed the experiences shared on here and of course kept a close eye on this bending issue.

I now will order the normal 6. I just think the 6+ will be too big to carry around without having to constantly worry about it, as I am not convinced about the structural design.

A second consideration is that I don't think there is enough added functionality. The only thing is the landscape mode really. It is just an oversized phone. I would expect to be able to properly split the screen between 2 apps for instance. Or have proper widgets on the home and/or lock screen.

I will take the 6 on a 1 year contract and see what they do with the 6S/6S plus.

smart...I am definitely over thinking it for a phone I will own for a year. One thing I will say is this though...if past performance is an indicator of apple's future response I don't anticipate a form factor change for either of the phones for next year. I would figure some internal changes maybe even sapphire glass?

I would not expect a change of course until the 7 for it's form factor..that is just my thought though.

pete480

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Long Island, NY
I've had the 6+ for a week now and I don't think I'd be able to deal with a 4.7in screen. I can see Apple, in the future, abandoning the 5.5 and going with a 5-5.2in screen though...especially if enough people exchange it.

I think a 5in would be perfect, but I also don't have an issue with the 5.5.

Diana Prince

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
I took my 6+ back. It was an awesome phone w/ an amazing screen. I think the phone alone is just...beautiful. Using the phone was easy (I don't care about one handed use) and fun. I loved the screen real estate. However, like someone mentioned above, my phone was always in my hand when I traveled anywhere. I'm a woman, and I wear suits to work and I just couldn't risk putting the phone in my pocket and having it fall out. On two occasions, I looked like I was playing hot potato trying to catch it when it fell from my pocket after sitting and then standing. Luckily I caught the phone both times but it made me paranoid.

While in the Apple store doing the exchange, I saw a woman holding a Note to her head talking...I was horrified that I would look like that when holding the phone to my ear. (No disrespect is meant to 6+ owners.) I'm less paranoid w/ my 6 and very pleased, but every time I see a 6+ I'll secretly miss using one. :(

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
It was a very tough decision for me. What I realized is that I want both a phone and an iPad (can't afford both) but having 1 device that falls in the middle wasn't the answer (for me anyway). If I had an ipad the 6 would be a no brainer. It's much more portable and quick/easy to use with 1 hand while on the move. Using the plus always seemed like big to do, and using it 1 handed was a complete balancing act for me (fwiw female 5'4). I do miss the plus when I'm sitting around at home though. The screen was AMAZING and the battery life was insane. I feel like I can sit and watch the battery percentage drop on the 6. Playing with the phones in the store while trying to decide if I should return the plus was a bit misleading for me. The six plus seemed a lot more manageable in short spurts and without a case. I'm happy with the 6. Definitely not wowed or blown away like I was with the 6 plus, but for my needs the 6 is the right fit and I don't second guess taking it out and using it. Feels much more natural for me. Guess I'll be starting an iPad fund...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.