Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insane08

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
In terms of body design I absolutely love the iPhone 6/6 plus. However in terms of color I would have to say the 4/5 series where we had real dark colors. With the 5s and 6 now the colors all seem the same to me. They are too similar and faded. I have the space grey iPhone 6 and just picked up the silver 6 plus. Loving the Plus!

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
4/4S, easily. No ugly lines like the 6/6Plus, or even uglier two tone like the 5/5S. Obviously the 3G/3GS don't even come close, neither does the original.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I'm pretty partial to the iPhone 5/5s. I would have been fine if the iPhone 6 was the same general design and thickness, especially if it would have improved durability. I know there were isolated reports of the 5 bending, but mine has been solid as a rock.

The iPhone 4/4s was a good looking device, but I find it hard to take it seriously now with its smaller screen.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Ranked in order of preference

1: iPhone 6/6+
2: iPhone 4/4S
3: iPhone 5C
4: iPhone 5/5S
5: iPhone 1
6: iPhone 3G/3GS

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
Does anyone like the 3G/3Gs best? I liked mine okay at the time, but in hindsight it just seems plasticky and not very nice.

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2010
I've only had the 4 (black), 5 (slate), and 6 (gold). I think I probably liked them in that order in terms of design.

I'm not a big fan of the antenna bands, like everyone else, but I put it in a Spigen Ultra Air clear case, and the way the case curves at the sides basically hides all but the 2 horizontal bands further in, which reduces the overall distraction of the bands.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I have had every iPhone since the 3GS and I would rank them in this order:

1. 5/5S
2. 4/4S
3. 6/6 Plus
4. 3G/3GS
5. 2G

I really liked my iPhone 4 and I think it was one of the best designs (especially the white) but I think the 5/5S beats it out because of how much thinner and lighter the 5/5S are. They feel great in your hand the chamfered edges make it look like very classy. I had the 6 for a week and I returned it to just keep my 5S for another year. For what I use my phone for the most, I would rather have 4" with better one-handed usability. The antenna lines on the back of the 6/6 Plus look silly and the phones are just too big in my opinion. The way the screen rounds off into the case is really nice though.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
+1

I wish they could have done the 6/6 Plus like the 4/4S with the light weight of the 5/5S.

iPhone-6-CW.jpg

tekkt0r

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
iPhone 5/5S. It's the sexiest, strongest, best engineered phone Apple has ever made.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I now like the iPhone 6 the best, but I think that the iPhone 4 was the most radical and impressive release. It was a beautiful device and represented a stark departure from other phones at the time.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Since design isn't only about aesthetics I'm gonna say the best designed iPhone so far is the iPhone 6.

iPhone 4/4S purely for aesthetics.

iPhone 6 because it's the second most beautiful iPhone and it feels amazing in my hand.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
My personal ranking of iPhone designs:

1. 4/4S - I don't think any other iPhone has caused such an uproar upon its announcement since the original 4. Steve Jobs compared it to an "old school Leica", and in many ways, the 4 lived up to that description. There was nothing else like it on the market, and it's still the most solid feeling iPhone that I would have no problem sitting on (not that I'd ever put any phone in my back pocket).

2. 6 - after my initial disgust at the protruding camera and massive antenna bars, this is quickly becoming one of my favourite iPhone designs of all time. It takes the iPad mini and iPad Air design philosophy and removes the dreadful chrome bezel that gets scratched really easily and replaces it with curved glass.

3. 2G - great design for its time that blew consumers away. It was sleek, simple, understated, but with a premium feel.

4. 3G/3GS - the 3GS was actually my first iPhone, because it was the one on the market at that time. But I've never been a fan of Apple's plastic-wrapped products. But it did look really good in the OtterBox Commuter case.

5. 5/5S - definitely my least favourite iPhone design. Not only was it very similar to the 4/4S in shape, but it was a step backwards in many ways. The metal case scratched easily, and it was too light for its size. This was the first time I skipped an entire generation of iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.