Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
The iPhone 4/4s was great, although the glass made the device very heavy. I love the aluminum on the iPhone 6, and the way the screen almost wraps around the device in a seamless way. The antenna lines look a little funky, although I'd rather have that than the giant black block that was on the original iPhone, as well as on many iPads with cell service.

The iPhone 5 was a very classy and elegant looking device, and it was much lighter than the 4 because of the thinness as well as the aluminum back, although I personally prefer the rounded edges on the iPhone 6.

The iPhone 6 is definitely a more understated and minimalist design than the iPhone 5, and this is apparent with the departure from the shiny bevels, the shiny circle at the home button, as well as the reflective glass panels on the back.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
5s. I really liked the contrast with the back, and it looked amazing in gold.

I like the front of the 6 and 6+ a bunch, but I think the whole design on the 5s looks a lot better than any prior iPhone.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Place the iPhone 6 on the table face up and I'd say it's the best looking design so far, but flip it over to reveal the distracting antenna bands and it becomes the worse design to date. Can't win but we'll live.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I don't think the antenna bands on the iPhone 6 are ugly. I like them better than the White 5/Any of the 5S's because they're subtle in comparison to how stark the difference was on the White 5/Any Color 5S. In fact, I'd rank the White 5 and the other color 5S models BELOW the 6/6+ just because of that contrast. The Slate Black 5 was the only one that really made that design work so well. They all looked nice but the other 5/5S colors just didn't work so well, especially the Space Gray (I hated that 5S model).

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Place the iPhone 6 on the table face up and I'd say it's the best looking design so far, but flip it over to reveal the distracting antenna bands and it becomes the worse design to date. Can't win but we'll live.

I just can't wrap my mind around that viewpoint, but to each his/her own. To my eye they mirror the front divisions of the phone design. They looked weird in the leak images of backs with no front attached but make perfect sense in the context of a complete iPhone.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I just can't wrap my mind around that viewpoint, but to each his/her own. To my eye they mirror the front divisions of the phone design. They looked weird in the leak images of backs with no front attached but make perfect sense in the context of a complete iPhone.

I'm not quite seeing the mirror. On Space Gray iPhone 6, the entire front is black when the screen is off. What part of the front division are the antenna bands mirroring? Even on the white 6/6+, the antenna bands sit a bit off to mirror the screen top and bottom, really no different from the 5/5s?

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I'm not quite seeing the mirror. On Space Gray iPhone 6, the entire front is black when the screen is off. What part of the front division are the antenna bands mirroring? Even on the white 6/6+, the antenna bands sit a bit off to mirror the screen top and bottom, really no different from the 5/5s?

Doesn't have to be an exact match to evoke the front design.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Doesn't have to be an exact match to evoke the front design.

Fair enough, so I'd say the mirror is same for the 5/5s and 6/6+ in term of the glass inserts and bisecting antenna bands, and this is only when the screen is on (unless on the white models). The "U" antenna bands at the top and bottom on the 6/6+ still seem out of place.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
4/4s. Every other iPhone has some sort of design compromise.

2G has the black plastic.
3g has a plastic back.
5 is a weird compromise of trying to look like the 4 even though it shouldn't. It's unibody, but it tries to retain the bands from the 4. And the glass back panels are awkward.
6 has the antenna bands, but I don't think there as bad as what the 5 had. This is my second favorite.

Daniel3102

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2014
If only I could get a 5.5 inch iPhone 5s. The shape and design of the 5s, but a 5.5 inch display :D

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
The iPhone 4 seems a little dated now. But when it first came out, it had big time wow factor. Just a beautiful design. The 5 was nice as well, especially the white one.

I'm indifferent to the 6 or 6 Plus designs. Certainly better than anything else on the market though.

jdamiano

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2014
NJ
I finally got to hold my cousins Iphone 6 last night and I can say it is the most beautiful IPhone design to date. I do love the design of my 5s and the 5, but 6 is much more sleek and modern. All designs were the best in there time.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
You know, I've sort of loved every one of them at the time.

I really loved the 3G. Felt so good in the hand with the rounded back, and the plastic meant I didn't need a case, so I never used one.

When the 4 came out, I wasn't too sure about the glass back, but it was an amazing design. I ended up using a case, but loved the lightness and the flat back.

I loved the larger screen of the 5 when I switched, and even though I really liked the black slate, the fact that it was so prone to scratching was a bummer, and the battery issue was disappointing.

I can honestly say, though, that the 6 is my favorite design. The rounded edges of the screen are so nice, and we finally have the rounded edges of the phone that remind me of the 3G, but also the flat back of the 4 and 5. Some don't like the antenna bands, but I think the back of the phone is beautiful, which is why I'm using a super-thin, transparent case so I don't cover up the design this time around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.