Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Hilarious, that really made me laugh! :D

Okay, I guess where I'm stuck is with a bunch of events with different titles and meanings.

With some of the given advice, I was trying to narrow down events to; people, places/travel, time/event and object/things. I was going to make albums for the subs like family, friends, cities, weddings, ect.

I don't think this is right either and I am trying to understand the keywords concept mixed in with events. Care to elaborate? Thanks!

For me, the key concept is "search engine." Keywords are simply ways to make it easier to search, and to speed those searches. Often, web searches don't return exactly what you're looking for, because your choice of terms may be uncommon usage. Adding keywords to your images helps you find them later, based on how you think.

The entire point of a database (which is what iPhoto and the other DAMs are) is to store information in a structured manner, so that its contents can be retrieved in many different, useful ways. They all come with a handful of pre-packaged ways of cataloging the info, but in the end, it's your info, so you have to think about all the various ways (not one single system) you might need/want that info in the future.

An art director might want to be able to find photos with a predominant color, and include colors as keywords. You, however, may never need to find "red."

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Store you master/originals in referenced folders in the file system, not inside the Aperture library. Naturally you keyword the photos you import. Then in Aperture you use define Albums or Smart Albums (using keywords) for all the categories you want to sort.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I don't really have to worry about where I put my photos, as long as I keyword them. I use collections as what they really are, saved searches. And they are often temporary. So I have one called "girlfriend" which contains the critera of keyword=ScarJo, and bingo, I've got all the photos of her. When that changes, I just change the criteria to keyword=JLo and it still works. I never know what I might need to search for, so I don't worry about creating albums or collections with any particular criteria, since I know I can always set one up once I am trying to find something.

Yeah, what Rob said. I see a lot of people who try to create albums with all the photos that are already in Events. They don't like Events, so they create Albums, and then put Albums in Folders.

Don't get me wrong, both Albums and Folders are useful tools in iPhoto, but manage your basic organization with Events. An Event doesn't have to be something that occurs just on one day. I have two types of Events: Big Events (Wedding, Holiday, Birthday, etc.), and Season Events (like Spring 2014; these events have all the onsie-twosie photos that aren't part of a big event). I would be completely overwhelmed if I didn't group Events.

Keywords, Ratings, and Places are also really important.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Yes, consider an iPhoto "event" as what it really is, a sort of smart search by date. When you combine them you create a date range search. In reality, if your photos are stored in the iPhoto Library, they are store in folders by date. And some other info and previews and edits elsewhere.

If you reference your photos, YOU create the folder structure. But iPhoto (or Aperture or LR) could look just the same, depending on what events/collections/albums/folders or whatever you're looking at.

Ironically, perhaps, non-Apple LR is only one that allows you to manipulate that Finder folder structure from within its application.

I'd suggest as well that if you reference photos, when you create the folder structure set up a system that makes sense in the FINDER. Some folks do it by years, and that way they can move older stuff off without even having to look at the contents.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
I have actually never paid attention to that. :eek: I usually just upload, name, and then organize and don't edit. I like doing the editing elsewhere.

I didn't go for premium. The limitation keeps me from just dumping everything on my camera s and keeping to my best stuff.

Adobe said this regarding the revel service " In a few weeks, free Revel accounts will come with 2GB of cloud storage instead of the current limit of 50 photos/videos a month. This is big news because it means you'll be able to store and share around 1000 photos with your loved ones without worrying about a monthly limit.

Otherwise, Revel will be the same service you know and love. If you have any questions about this change, click the link below to learn more. You can also post a question in our customer support forums and a team member will help you out."

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Adobe said this regarding the revel service " In a few weeks, free Revel accounts will come with 2GB of cloud storage instead of the current limit of 50 photos/videos a month. This is big news because it means you'll be able to store and share around 1000 photos with your loved ones without worrying about a monthly limit.

Otherwise, Revel will be the same service you know and love. If you have any questions about this change, click the link below to learn more. You can also post a question in our customer support forums and a team member will help you out."

WOW, that IS great news!

NickVanHoeve

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2014
iPhoto Alternatives?

Hello everyone,

So it's looks like that iOS 8 are not going to support iPhoto and migrated to the Photos apps. It's a totally stupid moves. # it's not a problem if they transferred all the tool from iPhoto. What makes the iPhoto apps so worthy to me is the "brush" features. Is there any apps that has "almost" the same features as the iPhoto offered?

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
If brushes are to advanced for Photos for iOS I have little hope for Photos for Mac.
Aperture and iPhoto users rejoice... *eyeroll*

@Topic: I'm afraid I can't really help, sorry. :(

Glassed Silver:ios

Last edited:

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
You could have a look at Lightroom, they've just released an iPad version and I think it might have the brush feature. Not sure how well it works if you're not using LR on mac, though. Personally, I do all my photo management with LR and I'm very happy with it.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
If brushes are what you are after, look at apps like Leonardo, Laminar Pro, Photogene, Filterstorm etc. there are plenty out there. If you list exactly what features you need then we can maybe better advise.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I've complained about this to Apple as I bought the app and I'm no longer allowed to use it which is just unreasonable. The loss of photo books, journals, majority of useful editing tools, photo organisation and comparison tools is just hopeless.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I agree with your comments. the new photos in ios 8 is a major step backwards. I sorely miss being able to use the brush/blur tool to soften/blur the background in portraits, for example. Apple seems to be moving away from innovation that once was its mainstay.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I agree with your comments. the new photos in ios 8 is a major step backwards. I sorely miss being able to use the brush/blur tool to soften/blur the background in portraits, for example. Apple seems to be moving away from innovation that once was its mainstay.

Very much agreed. I can't find a single app that has the functionality to iPhoto. :'( I miss having brushes, metadata, being able to compare two photos side by side, my photo journals...

micke1967

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
Hi after the update to IOS8.0 iPhoto dissapeared and was replased with "Photos"
On my iPad Air that application is totally useless...
Theres no functions at all really and I cant even view the photo albums..
And even worse when I synched with my iMac the other day 90% of all photos where gone in some failed attempt to synch from iPhoto...

So I hate that app and will delete it now and reimport all photos..

However I need a good app for viewing photos in a good way that allows me to browse albums in a good way.
Best is if it would allow albums named as per the folders I have the photos in from beginning..

So please all whats your best tip on a good photo app for my iPad Air on IOS 8???

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Hi after the update to IOS8.0 iPhoto dissapeared and was replased with "Photos"
On my iPad Air that application is totally useless...
Theres no functions at all really and I cant even view the photo albums..
And even worse when I synched with my iMac the other day 90% of all photos where gone in some failed attempt to synch from iPhoto...

So I hate that app and will delete it now and reimport all photos..

However I need a good app for viewing photos in a good way that allows me to browse albums in a good way.
Best is if it would allow albums named as per the folders I have the photos in from beginning..

So please all whats your best tip on a good photo app for my iPad Air on IOS 8???

I've been trying to use Lightroom, but its not as good as iPhoto IMHO.

Can I strongly urge you and all others who loved the iPhoto for iOS 8 to complain to Apple? Send an email to Tim Cook... May not do anything but its worth a try. After all a lot of us paid for the App, now Apple have it made incompatible for NO reason which is just unfair. Would have been fine if Photos included all iPhoto functionality but it doesn't come close. There is no reason whatsoever that iPhoto shouldn't be allowed to run in iOS 8?

micke1967

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
Hi
I actually gave feedback to Apple on the 2 links below telling them I want iPhoto back..Now!!
I spent almost 20 us dollars and a whiole afternoon downloading and trying to find a good replacement...I even tried the Apple support I have on my iPad still and even if they are proffesional and good as always - they could not help me on this and they understtod and agreed that theres no good replacement for iPhoto..and espacially not "Photos" that have no functions at all basically..
It was actually Apple support that told me to give feedback on the pages below since the developers at Apple look there so..please all..give them feedback..
best regards micael

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphoto_ios.html
https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

micke1967

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
I also started a similar thread...
unfortunately it doesnt seem to be a good alternative tio iPhoto...
I simply dont understand why Apple didnt just upgrade it and develop it further since it was a good base??
The alternative Apple suggested on iPad "Photos" in my mind is utterly useless since it has no functions at all...so how where they thinking??
Or does Apple want others to take over all the photo interested users?
best regards micael

'https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19962992#post19962992

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I've asked for a refund for the iOS iPhoto that I purchased and now, no longer have access to! Needless to say I am still awaiting a reply a week later...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's Capture One which does a great job with a camera's RAW images (if you shoot raw), though its DAM capabilities is rather limited compared to others.

There's Lightroom (as mentioned) and is probably the most popular

There's Aperture but its getting discontinued. I guess you can use that for now.

There will be apple's new photo's app, which can import images from iPhoto and Aperture.

I'd recommend using Aperture or iPhoto until apple releases the new app

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
My intention is to stick with Aperture & Pixelmator combination and evaluate Photos app as it matures. There is a lot to like in Aperture and I can understand Apple wanting to merge both Aperture & iPhoto into a single application provided they can keep the majority of the functionality. This is the bit that concerns me though as I suspect it will be too crippled to use for anything other than the basics. Aperture's printing and exporting tools alone are enough for me to keep it knowing I have Pixelmator for pixel level editing. Plug in support is another things that concerns me with the new app.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My intention is to stick with Aperture & Pixelmator combination and evaluate Photos app as it matures. .
I'm on Aperture and PS 5.5. Photoshop 5.5 still works for me, so I can't complain but I've largely moved on to LightRoom 4 (I had an old copy). My debate was more along the lines of using adobe products on a subsciption model vs. buying the product outright - with Lightroom 6 presumably being purchase only.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I'm on Aperture and PS 5.5. Photoshop 5.5 still works for me, so I can't complain but I've largely moved on to LightRoom 4 (I had an old copy). My debate was more along the lines of using adobe products on a subsciption model vs. buying the product outright - with Lightroom 6 presumably being purchase only.

Yup, I've tried out Lightroom before but never really took to it and prefer working in Aperture. Depending on what the future holds, I may have to switch at some point but I am a hobbyist photographer so not too demanding in my requirements.
I'll personally never use subscription software although may have a different view on that if I was a pro or needed the features that only a subscription app provided.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Some of the posts here seem to be conflating iOS 8 iPhotos and Mac OS iPhotos; this is a Mac OS forum; you might get better results in the iOS forums.

And BTW it's inaccurate to say iOS 8 Photos has no functions. I'm not sure what you're missing from iOS iPhoto, but the photo editing features of Photos is pretty amazing IMHO, and I use Snapseed, Photogene4, and lots of others. The sliders are a brilliant new way to apply groups of changes, as in doing B&W. Can't wait for more developers to mimic this. You can now add external editors, like Camera+ or Afterlight (although the latter keeps hanging on me).

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Picasa is the best

Picasa doesnt require Google+ integration. My version dont anyways. Its a version from 2011 and works like magic. Search for an old version if the current one doenst suit you.

The only google softeware I have installed is Picasa and Google Earth. For both, I stoped updates when first intalled. So I dont need to deal with things like integration or requirements when they are secretly created

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.