Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
So some people here are saying a person can exchange/return an iPhone purchased from Apple.com / the Apple store app in the physical Apple store and some are saying you cannot. I tried calling mine but the phone rings forever (I'm sure they're crazy busy). Does anyone have a definite answer on this?

When you call and the automated voice comes on and asks how it can help you, say manager and it will connect you through to a person in the store. I called an Apple store by me today and asked about returning a phone bought on apple.com and she said they will let you return in the store. I think it depends on the managers discretion.. Maybe they are letting people do that because they had to order online due to no inventory at the stores.

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
Just to confirm as a few others have said, I returned my Apple.com iPhone 6 order to my closest Apple Store with absolutely no issues. I even purchased using AT&T Next and Apple store was able to cancel the contract and sell me a new 6 Plus on a new 2 year contract. Only hiccup was having to call AT&T to have them push through the contract reversal and that took 5 minutes.

Cstevens0713

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
For what it's worth: my wife and I both pre-ordered 6 Plus phones on Apple.com for our AT&T accounts, using AT&T Next ( as opposed to buying outright or upgrading w/ 2 yr contract ). We received the phones on launch day. My wife decided last night the Plus was too big and wants a 6. Like you, the closest Apple store is over 2 hours away.

At lunch today I went into my local AT&T store and they took care of it. They didn't have any stock, but essentially placed an order for a 6 and will call when it arrives - roughly 2-3 weeks. My wife will continue using the Plus until the 6 comes in and then I will take it to the store for exchange. I was in and out in 15 minutes.

Did you have to pay for the 6 when the store ordered it or when it arrived and you went in for the exchange? My AT&T store is saying I have to pay for the phone upfront when it's ordered by the store and they'll reimburse it to me when it comes in and they process the exchange. So basically I'm having to come up with several hundred more dollars, even if it is temporarily, which I can't afford.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Originally bought a 6 on Apple.com as an upgrade...picked it up in the Apple Store. 2 days later, exchanged it for a 6+ in the Apple Store and paid the difference. No issues at all, upgrade eligibility was reversed upon return and the whole process took about 5 min in total.

elmoblatch

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
I am having an issue getting my upgrade eligibility back.
I returned my 6+ to the Apple Store last Friday (9/26). I was all set to purchase a 6, but they could not process the transaction. I was told it can take as long as 72 hours. The return has already been processed by Apple, but my AT&T upgrade eligibility still has not been reset.

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
I am having an issue getting my upgrade eligibility back.
I returned my 6+ to the Apple Store last Friday (9/26). I was all set to purchase a 6, but they could not process the transaction. I was told it can take as long as 72 hours. The return has already been processed by Apple, but my AT&T upgrade eligibility still has not been reset.

Did you call AT&T? I called AT&T from Apple store and they manually reset. Took 5 minutes.

kl323

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2010
I asked in another thread but this probably better.

I have a newly created UDP on verizon. Would love to exchange for the larger 6+. What's the best way to do it without losing the UDP?

Thanks!

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
:( It is really far to my Apple store.

Oh well, make smarter purchases, suck it up and make the 2 hour drive.

----------

So, nobody has a decisive answer if I try to exchange it at a local ATT store. Has anyone tried?

When you buy anything why would you expect a store that didn't sell it to you to accept a return? Does that make any sense to you? If so please explain how it does so we can all be let in in your special way of thinking.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
Oh well, make smarter purchases, suck it up and make the 2 hour drive.

Please elaborate how I should be making "Smarter" purchases?
----------

When you buy anything why would you expect a store that didn't sell it to you to accept a return? Does that make any sense to you? If so please explain how it does so we can all be let in in your special way of thinking.

Typically no, but I've read a couple posts stating otherwise. I was seeking additional input, but it doesn't matter now, I am keeping my 6 Plus. Thanks for coming into my thread and adding valuable input, I appreciate it. People like you really help to add value to forums like this.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Typically no, but I've read a couple posts stating otherwise. I was seeking additional input, but it doesn't matter now, I am keeping my 6 Plus. Thanks for coming into my thread and adding valuable input, I appreciate it. People like you really help to add value to forums like this.

Lol too bad the same can't be said for all ;).

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
According to the manager of the store I was at, every store will. Which store wouldn't accept your return?

Leeds Trinity, UK

Also, if you read around the Web, other people have had the same issue too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.