Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
I ordered my iPhone 6 Plus on Apple.com and want to exchange it for an iPhone 6. My Apple store is 2 hours away so I was wondering if I would be able to exchange it at my local AT&T store or if I absolutely have to do it at an Apple store?

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
You can mail it back to them

That's what I'll likely do but would really like to exchange at my local ATT to get it done instead of waiting, couldn't find the answer on the forums.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Do orders at an AT&T store have to be returned to AT&T or can I exchange at at Apple store? AT&T doesn't have as much stock.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Do orders at an AT&T store have to be returned to AT&T or can I exchange at at Apple store? AT&T doesn't have as much stock.

Exchanging is not the same as returning so it depends what you want to do. If you want to return your phone you'll have to do so at ATT.

If you want to exchange because of a warranty issue then you can do so at apple. You cannot exchange for any other reason at apple.

----------

:( It is really far to my Apple store.

Pay for a 6 outright and get it mailed to you, and return yours via mail as well. Thats your best bet

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
Exchanging is not the same as returning so it depends what you want to do. If you want to return your phone you'll have to do so at ATT.

If you want to exchange because of a warranty issue then you can do so at apple. You cannot exchange for any other reason at apple.

----------

Pay for a 6 outright and get it mailed to you, and return yours via mail as well. Thats your best bet

Well I bought it on an upgrade so buying outright is a delta $600+ that i'm not willing to do.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
I ordered my iPhone 6 Plus on Apple.com and want to exchange it for an iPhone 6. My Apple store is 2 hours away so I was wondering if I would be able to exchange it at my local AT&T store or if I absolutely have to do it at an Apple store?

I thought orders done through apple online couldn't be returned or exchanged at an apple store.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I thought orders done through apple online couldn't be returned or exchanged at an apple store.

No, orders done through the Apple online store can be returned or exchanged at an Apple Store. I can confirm this because I did it yesterday.

It wouldn't surprise me that AT&T won't take an exchange for an Apple online purchase, but I would bet that vice versa would be possible.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Well I bought it on an upgrade so buying outright is a delta $600+ that i'm not willing to do.

Your only option would be to go to the apple store. The only other option is to sell your current phone in the marketplace and get a 6 off the boards, or sell/buy anywhere for that matter.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

----------

Maybe if you initiate a return, that will cancel your upgrade and reestablish it to be used on the new phine. You may have to get someone on the phone, though.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
So, nobody has a decisive answer if I try to exchange it at a local ATT store. Has anyone tried?

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Maybe if you initiate a return, that will cancel your upgrade and reestablish it to be used on the new phine. You may have to get someone on the phone, though.

They can certainly do that, but i do think it'll take a few days iirc.

----------

So, nobody has a decisive answer if I try to exchange it at a local ATT store. Has anyone tried?

Sir, you can not...

plastus

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
I'd like to piggy-back on this question. Does anyone know if I can go into an Apple store to exchange my 6+ for a 6 of the same capacity without issue? Do I need to first return it and then wait until upgrade eligibility is restored on my AT&T account?

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
I'd like to piggy-back on this question. Does anyone know if I can go into an Apple store to exchange my 6+ for a 6 of the same capacity without issue? Do I need to first return it and then wait until upgrade eligibility is restored on my AT&T account?

If purchased from apple you should be able to do so without a problem.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
If purchased from apple you should be able to do so without a problem.

Cool that's precisely what I want to do. Now...I see that they have stock at my closest store of the device I want but fear they would run out by the time I get there. Do they have a separate stock for exchanges like this or do they use their "standard" stock for exchanges?

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal

The upgrade is no issue. They will exchange it right there.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

Why don't you call the AT&T store, rather than asking people on here? Might be a little quicker and you'll get the "decisive" answer you're seeking.

----------

Be prepared to wait in line. The scalpers will be clogging the lines for weeks, until the phone is released in China.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
Why don't you call the AT&T store, rather than asking people on here? Might be a little quicker and you'll get the "decisive" answer you're seeking.

Because they are not open yet. That's why.

iVegas

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
iPhones purchased from Apples online store must be mailed back to Apple.

"Note: An iPhone purchased on the Apple Online Store is ineligible for return to an Apple Retail Store."

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

I really doubt you can do an exchange at Att. It would be like buying a tv at Best Buy and trying to exchange it Walmart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.