Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Okay. I know many of you will crucify me for being so petty and uptight. But that's why I'm posting this, so you guys can meet the fact in my head that I shouldn't be upset about this.

Anyways. I was wiping my brand new phone down before putting it in a case when I realized there is a scratch on the lightening port adapter. I know. A normal person wouldn't be able to see it but now that I do know it's there. It's definitely bothersome.

What do you guys think? Is this a negligible issue that I need to get over? Would you guys just live with it on a brand new phone? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412563380.270410.jpg

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I have a scratch near my headphone jack and a "round" scratch/dent around the speaker holes.

I am debating if I want to exchange/return it.

I have a perfect blue screen and everything else seems flawless.

Also, there seems to be no stock, and I prefer not to settle for a white box replacement in fear I will be getting a worse "reject" phone.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I think you should chill for a few days (as long as you don't pass the return period) and decide if it is worth exchanging knowing you might get a phone with a WORSE screen, other scratches, issues, or is bent out of the box I kid

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Apple should buy it for you because of the travesty.

Maybe even throw in for pain and suffering?

Of course, when they point out you did it by putting the cable in sloppy, I dunno how that case would turn out...

Take it back. Don't swap it. Just take it back.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
After plugging in the lighting cable a few times there will be many scratches. Relax..... :cool:

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I guess I should be honest on the other reason why I want to return it.

I unfortunately got a phone with the uneven screen. Where 20 percent of the keyboard on the left side is yellower than the right. I remember I went through 5 iPads regarding this issue. I also do remember how stressed I was about this. I don't know. I'm thinking about just keeping it with the scratch and yellow screen. I just don't want to go through all that stress again.

Makes me envious of all the people who are oblivious to the yellow screen or just don't care. Damn macrumors. :(

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006

I unfortunately got a phone with the uneven screen. Where 20 percent of the keyboard on the left side is yellower than the right. I remember I went through 5 iPads regarding this issue. I also do remember how stressed I was about this. I don't know. I'm thinking about just keeping it with the scratch and yellow screen. I just don't want to go through all that stress again.

Makes me envious of all the people who are oblivious to the yellow screen or just don't care. Damn macrumors. :(

Return it. Tell them about the screen first, and if they seem like they don't want to take it, bring up the scratch.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
What do you guys think? Is this a negligible issue that I need to get over? Would you guys just live with it on a brand new phone? View attachment 501284

You get what you pay for.

If you feel uncomfortable after reading that statement... get it replaced. Otherwise, its negligible and you should keep it.

Last edited:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I'd say try to use it for 13 days and if it really bothers you then go return/exchange it on the 14th day.

For me I would not accept something that has some imperfection on the device, when I especially paid a premium for it.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Phone Came Scratched

If you are the type of person anal enough to return 5 iPads I doubt you can live with it.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
After a few days of use how do you prove you are not the one who scratched it? Having said that I'm the same kind of person but I realized it's unsettling to treat gadgets that way and wasted my time and energy.

Just return it and move on.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
*sigh* keep it. Plug in your cable a few times and you'll have more marks.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I understand the idea that these are premium devices, but man. Exchanging 5 iPads to get one that lives up to your unrealistic expectations and wanting to exchange a phone for a microscopic scratch just seems, well, crazy. Not to mention wasteful. Nothing is going to be perfect, and even if you do get something perfect it won't stay that way if you actually use it as intended. Sure, you should exchange something for a major defect, but get a little perspective.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
You have to to think about it, is it worth exchanging it?

What if the next one is even worse, such as having dead pixels.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

So you started this thread with a lie?

I predict you will never be happy.

abta1

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Paris, France
If anything, it's the yellow screen that would be the primary reason for wanting to return the phone. That's going to be in your face whereas that barely noticeable "scratch" around the charging port you shouldn't notice at all.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
I feel like there's always one piece of vital information that the OP doesn't tell us in every single thread like this.

Return it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its barely noticeable and after using the the lightening connector a couple of times you'll have more scratches. Don't worry about it and enjoy your phone :)

saab9573

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2009

I think your problem is a bit wider than a scratch on your iPhone....

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
So you started this thread with a lie?

I predict you will never be happy.

I feel like there's always one piece of vital information that the OP doesn't tell us in every single thread like this.

Return it.

I wasn't aware I made another thread where I left out info..?

The reason why I didn't want to disclose the yellow screen would be because I know many of you would have said to return it. And as inane as it sounds, I wanted to read more posts saying to keep it then to return it.

With that being said. I'm going to keep the phone. It was too stressful going through all those iPads.

----------

If anything, it's the yellow screen that would be the primary reason for wanting to return the phone. That's going to be in your face whereas that barely noticeable "scratch" around the charging port you shouldn't notice at all.

Also in my past experience I've realized that if you try to do a warranty swap because of the yellow screen it will largely depend on the genius you get.

Some geniuses will understand and even sympathize with you while other geniuses say the lack of screen uniformity is a feature and that all phones have it. Then having the worst luck, they would then pull out their phone and then they would even have a worse screen that they never noticed (and still don't see) haha.

But yeah. Most likely I'll be keeping this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.