Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
We have the ability to ignore users. How about the ability to ignore certain threads? Comments, suggestions, a show of hands?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Nope. Just like you can't prevent a user you've ignored from posting in a thread you started. Sometimes personal restraint prevails over technology enhancements. Just ignore the thread in your mind.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Can we get an "ignore thread" option?

I have seen this on other forums and find it useful. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I could see how it could be useful to certain members, however I don't think I would use it.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Freedom to ignore works best for me.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
We have the ability to ignore users. How about the ability to ignore certain threads? Comments, suggestions, a show of hands?

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but I thought in this case it was better to bring up an already made suggestion than make a new thread for it.

I have been wondering about this possibility for a long time and I find that I more and more often wish that this was possible.

Of course we are all free to ignore things in our mind, but I think in many cases it would greatly help the user to be able to quickly klick "ignore" and just be done with it. We then don't have to make the effort over and over, which can be quite frustrating.

You can look at it also from a pure forum design standpoint. Being able to ignore threads would clean up the content list of any given forum and thus make it more usable. It then becomes easier to follow the discussions of your choosing, and less likely that valuable threads get overlooked. This would have particular value for the mobile site, where you could then get more valuable content in one screen.

Additionally, I think this way you would save the moderator team a lot of work. Sometimes one enters discussion in a thread that is alright from the start but which ends up in a mess. In this case anyone serious about their forum participation could simply click "ignore thread" and forget about it, and when those serious about the discussion leave the conversation it usually peters out by itself. As opposed to them staying in there and making tons of reports which you have to deal with, or trying to steer the thread into a civil discussion. Or indeed becoming frustrated to the point where they simply leave the forum alltogether.

The number of registered users seems to be increasing greatly these days and it then follows that so does the number of trolls. Lately, especially in the "Alternatives" subforum there is a huge number of threads created mostly for the purpose of irritating or angering others. However the OPs don't use outright insults in their language and thus don't get moderated. So the threads sit there and take up space, and continue to frustrate the user. Being able to click "ignore thread" to clean up the content and save yourself the constant frustration of "just forgetting about it" would greatly improve the user experience of the site, IMO.

Maybe the technical implementation of this would take so much work that you don't consider the advantages worth it, of course I would then respect that. But I really think that everyone would stand to gain quite a lot from this, so I thought I'd venture bringing up the question again. :)

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010

That, plus the ability to ignore subthreads, and many other things, would make a web forum approach the goodness of Usenet readers 20 years ago. Will never happen.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I would like an option to remove certain forums from the search page, much like how it works with the forum spy.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would like an option to remove certain forums from the search page, much like how it works with the forum spy.

You can control click what forums you wish to search in the advanced search screen. I know its not exactly what you're asking but it is a work around to selectively search certain forums

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.