Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
As I'm just about as heavily invested in the Amazon universe as the Apple one, this is the only alternative to an iPhone that would make sense for me.

I've used one for a few minutes in the O2 shop, but has anyone got one they live with day to day? And if so, how is it?

I quite like the idea of the button that identifies stuff, and the 24 hr helpline people. But are they just gimmicks to get you to buy a below-par phone? I'll be coming from a 64gb iPhone 5S, if that makes a difference.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
From what I've read, the phone landed with a thud - its not selling too well.

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
From what I've read, the phone landed with a thud - its not selling too well.

Yes, it certainly doesn't have the aspirational value of an iPhone that makes people run out and buy it, but I was wondering if it will turn out to be a decent performer. Personally, I'd prefer a phone that drew a little less attention than my gold iPhone!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Even the CEO of T-mobile said they only sold 10 units total (probably a joke)

I bet they sold 0 being an ATT exclusive :p

He was very bitter over the exclusive. Nonetheless, the phone did terrible hence it is .99 with a contract and by the end of the year will probably be $199 without one.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Amazon needs to admit defeat and incorporate the Google Play Store along with it's own ecosystem. That would be an enticing combination. Currently Amazon is now offering the Amazon Phone for 99c in the US.

The other problem the phone has going for it is the carrier. My thoughts all along and something I had expected from Amazon was to sell the phone for $199-299 and offer it's own carrier no contract service like Walmart does with Straight Talk.

Amazon is too late in the game and there are much better hardware/software/carrier options out there. I currently use a Nexus 4 with Straight Talk.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Amazon needs to admit defeat and incorporate the Google Play Store along with it's own ecosystem. That would be an enticing combination. Currently Amazon is now offering the Amazon Phone for 99c in the US.

The other problem the phone has going for it is the carrier. My thoughts all along and something I had expected from Amazon was to sell the phone for $199-299 and offer it's own carrier no contract service like Walmart does with Straight Talk.

Amazon is too late in the game and there are much better hardware/software/carrier options out there. I currently use a Nexus 4 with Straight Talk.

Excellent points; also going with one carrier was a mistake for its effect on units sold no doubt.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I wouldn't use this phone and ecosystem if you paid me $200. It's either Android or Apple.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I spent a few minutes playing around with a Fire Phone a month or so ago. I didn't feel there was any added benefit of the Fire Phone (including features) compared to any other Android flagship. I've also never been too impressed with the Amazon UI on all of their devices.

I did see a guy at McDonalds a couple days after the phone first launched with one. Only one I've ever seen in the wild.

AppleP59

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2014
  • Price
  • Lack of apps
  • Exclusivity to AT&T (Is it coming to the rest of the world?)
  • Gimmicky 3D
  • First Generation Problems

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
  • Price
  • Lack of apps
  • Gimmicky 3D

Ha ha. That's almost the same thing critics said about the first generation iphone 2007 (besides the 3D stuff).

Even Apple recognized 8GB/$599 2007 for first generation product was steep and slashed it to $399/8g model within 2 plus months as well in Sept 2007.

But Apple was introducing a brand new touch sceeen tech (pinch to zoom etc). Well not brand new. But first mass marketed screen. Previous screens were resistive touch.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Last numbers I've seen are 36k sold. That's pretty shabby.

Reminds me of the facebook phone, same thing, it failed miserably. Amazon though may stick with it longer then FB did.

----------

• Price
  • Lack of apps
  • Gimmicky 3D

You also need to consider what does it offer an S5, or an HTC phone. To be honest, is expensive outright, and I think you get a better product from them over Amazon.

AppleP59

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2014
Ha ha. That's almost the same thing critics said about the first generation iphone 2007 (besides the 3D stuff).

Even Apple recognized 8GB/$599 2007 for first generation product was steep and slashed it to $399/8g model within 2 plus months as well in Sept 2007.

But Apple was introducing a brand new touch sceeen tech (pinch to zoom etc). Well not brand new. But first mass marketed screen. Previous screens were resistive touch.

Exactly.
So why would anyone buy a phone with teething problems from 2007 in 2014..?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Buy any Android phone, download the Amazon Appstore app, Amazon store app, Amazon Instant Video app, and Amazon Kindle app.

And you will have a better experience than getting suckered into the Fire Phone.

In two years time when people try and sell those things, they will be at the $50 resale value. And pretty much all of them are going to be on the market.

Of course T-Mobile is going to be very mad about exclusives. It's very hard going from being the carrier with the Sidekick to the carrier that doesn't carry the majority of phones. They don't want to be "uncarrier" and offer their services for cheap, but it keeps them in business.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
Of course T-Mobile is going to be very mad about exclusives. It's very hard going from being the carrier with the Sidekick to the carrier that doesn't carry the majority of phones. They don't want to be "uncarrier" and offer their services for cheap, but it keeps them in business.
T-Mobile offers most of the popular phones, including iPhone. A recent survey calculated that over 20% of iPhone 6 pre-order sales were from T-Mobile customers. If anything, they are growing rapidly and have changed the carrier industry a lot.

Reactions: iMi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.