Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Hi guys,

Just wondering whether anyone else has already got scratches on the Apple logo on the rear of the iPhone 6 / Plus? I've noticed a few hairline scratches about 2-3 days after owning my 6 Plus. It's only properly noticeable when you position the logo in sunlight at certain angles.

Bear in mind that I've had no case on my phone, but have been extremely careful when handling and placing down on the table.

Although you can't really notice it, I would have thought it would have been more durable/scratch resistant than what it is. :|

Thanks ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: What material is the current logo made of? I remember a previous MacRumors article on the logo being highly-scratch resistant. Not sure if the rumour was correct :|

Edit: Here's the articles: Article 1 | Article 2

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well…I don't have a 6 or 6+, but I just replaced my iPhone 5 in late August/early September. I already have one scratch there that you have to hold to the light a certain way to see.

Had one on the old iPhone 5 too.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you don't get a case for the phone it will get scratched.

I get a front/back ghost armor on my phones as well.

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Hi guys,

Just wondering whether anyone else has already got scratches on the Apple logo on the rear of the iPhone 6 / Plus? I've noticed a few hairline scratches about 2-3 days after owning my 6 Plus. It's only properly noticeable when you position the logo in sunlight at certain angles.

Bear in mind that I've had no case on my phone, but have been extremely careful when handling and placing down on the table.

Although you can't really notice it, I would have thought it would have been more durable/scratch resistant than what it is. :|

Thanks ;)

Yes :(

I got my phone on a Thursday, and my case came Saturday while I was away for the weekend...

Somewhere between Thursday and Sunday night, I got a couple light scratches across the back of my device - including on the logo.

I thought I was being super careful with it!

It's in a case now, though!

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
If you don't get a case for the phone it will get scratched.

Yes :(

I got my phone on a Thursday, and my case came Saturday while I was away for the weekend...

Somewhere between Thursday and Sunday night, I got a couple light scratches across the back of my device - including on the logo.

I thought I was being super careful with it!

Yep, it will scratch without a case.

Seems like the 6 and 6 Plus is more scratch-prone than the previous iPhones.

I had my iPhone 5S for an entire year without a case and it has zero scratches on it (although other parts of the phone did have hairline scratches). So why is the 6 / 6 Plus more easier to scratch?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

I had my iPhone 5S for an entire year without a case and it has zero scratches on it (although other parts of the phone did have hairline scratches). So why is the 6 / 6 Plus more easier to scratch?
Compare your new iPhone to the iPhone 5 (not the 5s). I guarantee you it will make you feel better about how much harder your phone is to scratch.

xnview

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013
I also had some scratches after 2-3 days. It is made by stainless steel on the new iPhones

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The only models that didn't have the Apple logo scratched were the 4/4S, as it sat behind the glass (unless you're unlucky enough to get a deep scratch on the glass itself smack dab in the middle of the logo).

They need to make the exposed Apple logo liquidmetal so it can be scratch-resistant.

gottafly

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2008
I too have a scratch on the logo, which is strange because with the raised camera you would think that it would not allow the logo to touch when lying on a flat surface.

So much for liquid metal!!

(not sure if that's even what it's made of....as was speculated before release)

It does have some pretty impressive/clear reflective qualities, though...

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
BooHoo

I put a leather cover over my logos, I'm not getting paid to advertise for them.

The logo is dorky looking anyway, imo.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013

The 6 logo is recessed slightly, no scratches yet on my 6+

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Hi guys,

Thanks ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: What material is the current logo made of? I remember a previous MacRumors article on the logo being highly-scratch resistant. Not sure if the rumour was correct :|

Edit: Here's the articles: Article 1 | Article 2

No because I use a case. It will not get scratched that way. If scratches are an issue for you, I suggest that you get a case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.