Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skud51

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
The iPhone 6 is my first iOS device. I just came from the Galaxy S3 and I definitely miss the LED notifications. I keep looking over at my iPhone expecting to see different colors representing the notification I missed.

On my S3 I had:

Red - missed phone call
Green - What's App
Turquoise - Company 1 Email
Pink - Company 2 Email
White - Gmail

The iPhone screen notifications are nice, but unless you're always around the phone and ready to look at the screen on a moment's notice they're not that useful.

Riley

MushroomJesus

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
LED notification lights...
are tacky and chessy as hell.

Reminds me of these
hqdefault.jpg

Sekelani

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
Doesn't iOS have a feature to repeat notifications? That way, if you miss one, it will repeat, and alert you that you have a message. You could do that until Apple designs an LED notification

There is a repeat feature with messages, you can set this up in settings.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This way, haters can't say "because I don't want something like that" or "it would be ugly" since they wouldn't have to see or deal with it at all and it's only there for the people who want to turn on LED notifications...
Why paint dissenters as haters. I see no need for such component on the iPhone. I have used phones with them, and yes it was a nice feature, but it wasn't a killer feature.

Given that we're looking at the iPhone 6 and no LED notification and to be honest, not that much call for one. I doubt it will ever come. I'm ok with that.

If you're not, then perhaps an android phone is a better fit. Get the phone that best fits your needs, and if the LED notification is high on that list, find a phone that has one.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Why paint dissenters as haters. I see no need for such component on the iPhone. I have used phones with them, and yes it was a nice feature, but it wasn't a killer feature.

Given that we're looking at the iPhone 6 and no LED notification and to be honest, not that much call for one. I doubt it will ever come. I'm ok with that.

If you're not, then perhaps an android phone is a better fit. Get the phone that best fits your needs, and if the LED notification is high on that list, find a phone that has one.

Well before I answer, lets look at just some of the argument baiting responses from earlier for context:
OP, why are you so damn stubborn to ask for something that is so 90's? living under the rock for the last decade?

better yet, how about some disco lights around the edge of the iphone? flashing blue, red, yellow whenever there is notification?

Steve Jobs, "No"
Go buy an Android.
Because it's ugly.
I would hate an LED flashing. Sweet mercy. What for???
LED notifications??

are we all of the sudden back in 2005?

When I made the comment I was mostly trying to help stop the arguing since the thread became somewhat of a hot topic earlier in the day when you had the members that like the LED notification idea on one side... and the "haters" (not to mention the ones that got removed by mods earlier for calling everyone children over and over) that were coming in the thread and trying to start arguments.

I mean, I have no problem if someone simply said something like "well, I personally have no need for it" but the sharp, sarcastic tones of those people earlier with no real reasoning behind it made me think of the word haters, especially since the LED notification light would be hidden and turned off by default so it wouldn't even affect them in the scenario I was proposing.

But I digress, you are probably right about "haters" being the wrong word, just that it was the only one that came to mind at the time.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
LED notification lights...
are tacky and chessy as hell.

Reminds me of these

And you would post the worst implementation of LED ever.....the way it's done is very nice and definitely not tacky present day...good job defending your iPhone with this obnoxious post :rolleyes: And to answer this threads actual question, Apple is so stubborn because they will never give you guys what you actually want, they only give you guys what they feel you need... This is like the communist of phones. You want 2 gb ram you get 1 gb ram, you want a non bendable phone you get a flexible one, you want a 16 mp camera you get 8 mp, you want 32 gb instead of the 16 gb base version you get 16 gb.........

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I came from Blackberry which had the best notification system I have ever used on any phone.:eek:

I gave up any hopes of Apple giving us a dedicated LED long ago!

----------

Let's see extra battery life or damn light. Hmm. Battery life please. The light would mean nothing to me anyway. I could care less for it.

The LED would use MUCH LESS power than you having to activate your homescreen to see if you have any mail or messages.:p

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
On my white note3 and now my black note4 I can't see any semblance of the LED on the casing when it is off. It is hidden so well that it is not there.

Put to bed those saying it is ugly.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
On my white note3 and now my black note4 I can't see any semblance of the LED on the casing when it is off. It is hidden so well that it is not there.

Well said, maybe they should keep mentioning the obvious iphone 6 protruding camera and those antenna lines...that's what I call ugly

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Well said, maybe they should keep mentioning the obvious iphone 6 protruding camera and those antenna lines...that's what I call ugly

Plenty of phones have been forced to have the protruding camera. The iPhone 6/plus camera doesn't protrude with even a minimal case on it. The lines are necessary with a metal phone and are covered by a case, also.

LED is just another part that could break and the phone has visual, tactile, AND audio alerts already.

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014

What people seem to forget is that IF Apple DID indeed implement a system to alert the user of notifications without having to turn the screen on every time, it would PROBABLY come in a way we don't expect it.

Why do we have to limit this to an LED light flashing somewhere near the top of the phone?

I understand they have the watch... and if indeed technology goes that way, it will be very useful. Quite frankly, I'm not interested in another gadget I have to replace every 1-2 years. So, if I ever get a smart watch, I anticipate that it will be a gift, or come at a time when the technological advances for them has slowed down to the point that it will last more than 2 years. So, having something on the phone to alert me of a notification for when I miss it the first time (NOTE: I am NOT saying we shouldn't still have the screen flash - also another assumption people seem to make regarding having some sort of LED flash) without having to turn on the entire display again would be useful.

cdaq

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2014
Go buy an Android.

I think you're right. I'm jumping to a new carrier (fu verizon) and was seriously considering going back to the Iphone (went from the 5s to the M8). Despite IOS's dull, boring, cartoonish UI I always did appreciate the stability. [aside: check out the 'post your home screen here thread' - pure comedy to someone used to android]
The iphone camera / software are top notch also. But this thread convinced me that apple doesn't really have to compete because the ios user base will defend their apple overlords no matter what. I mean, many people argued against a feature was demonstrated to be useful, at least to a large segment of users, would be cheap and trivial to implement, and would be 100% transparent to those that didn't want it. Corporate apple must be licking their chops, scheming the next way to separate their customers from their money (want notification without turning on your screen? - get an iWatch). Meh, Andriod it is for me...

Last edited:

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
It's always a horrible idea, Android-like, no taste in design, so-90's.... until Apple does it.

Hello protruding camera... hello phablet.. hello gold phone!

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
I think you're right. I'm jumping to a new carrier (fu verizon) and was seriously considering going back to the Iphone (went from the 5s to the M8). Despite IOS's dull, boring, cartoonish UI I always did appreciate the stability. [aside: check out the 'post your home screen here thread' - pure comedy to someone used to android]
The iphone camera / software are top notch also. But this thread convinced me that apple doesn't really have to compete because the ios user base will defend their apple overlords no matter what. I mean, many people argued against a feature was demonstrated to be useful, at least to a large segment of users, would be cheap and trivial to implement, and would be 100% transparent to those that didn't want it. Corporate apple must be licking their chops, scheming the next way to separate their customers from their money (want notification without turning on your screen? - get an iWatch). Meh, Andriod it is for me...
Have fun. You seem like the typical Android a44hole though. Can never simply say "iOS isn't for me". Always have to find some kind of insult to throw out there as they are leaving.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
:eek: did you just say the "b" word?!

Yep. If the downvote still existed I'd get an all time low for what I'm about to say...

My BlackBerry Q10 is without a doubt the best phone I've ever owned. And yes, I have previously owned an iPhone. The BlackBerry is still better in my eyes, by a long stretch.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.