Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gibsona

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
I got my 6+ mainly because of the battery size. It arrived yesterday, and I charged it to full at 8am this morning. It's now 11:30am and it's on 46%!!!! The screen has mostly been off, but it has been downloading tracks from iTunes Match. I really hope this is either just a calibration issue on first charge, or because of the wifi background download. Otherwise if this is normal it's going back. I'll be lucky to make it to lunch at this rate.

So so far, no, I'm not happy with it.:(

OK this is insane, I just unlocked the phone to look again (it's 11:55am now) and the phone is at 37%.

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
Screen size and battery were main drivers towards me getting the +...

At first the screen size was a bit of a "shock" since its so much bigger than previous models, but after I got used to it, like others have said, I couldn't imagine going smaller.

I imagine most of the iPhone 6+ naysayers would have felt the same way had they kept the phone, or used it for an appreciable amount of time.

Cavmclaren

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2014
Atlanta
I know a lot of people love the big phones and i LOVE my plus but if the 6 had the same screen resolution battery life and landscape modes it would be a hands down better phone to me.

i havent ran with the plus yet but the last time i ran with my 5s i dropped it and cracked the top corner of the screen it snapped off my beats pro headphone jack hit the ground flew out of the leather apple case onto my local park's concrete path so i could only imagine the damage that would have been done with the plus.

I find the plus does work for me in most real life situations it fits fine in my slim work pants and fitted jeans though you definately notice its there it causes you to be consious of bumping into things or making sudden movements. I also am a car user and i have little to no difficulty one handing depending on what app im using but i could definately see the size of the plus being a henderance for some in certain scenarios.

Cavmclaren

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2014
Atlanta
I had the 6 longer than I had the plus my wife has the 6 and loves it but after having switching to the plus I could not see going back to the 6 not neccesarily bc of the size bc I have an ipad air if i want size but because of the features, it emphasizes the feeling of upgrade coming from the 5s more so than the 6. My wife thinks the plus is too big for her but does admit that she is jealous at times bc shes a huge instagram/selfie person and comparing side by side photos look noticeably better on the plus.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
so it makes getting heftier devices out of pocket much more difficult, It was embarrassing to me and I had missed the opportune picture.
it made me feel a little silly
and the lightness of the 6 is much-preferred by me

I'm glad you figured out which device was better for you but from all the things you said..... it seems like maturity is the thing you lack most. why would you get "embarrassed" because it takes you 2 seconds longer to get a phone out of your pocket? Do you really think people are looking at you all the time? You felt silly because it's harder to take it out of your pocket while seated? And you keep referring to the phone's heft and how the 6 is so much lighter.......43 grams difference...... 43.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So, why did you get an iPhone 6+ and are you happy with it now, almost one month later?

I got it because I wanted a larger phone.

I'm still happy with it, though I only got it last week.

As for running I ordered an armpocket Ultra I-35. When it arrives, I'll see if it works out. There's also the flipbelt for running but I read that the iPhone 6 plus fits really snuggly - too snug.

sjs314

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
I bought the 6 plus cause I wanted a bigger phone/screen, for the longer battery life and better camera.

I've had my phone since 9/29 and love it more each day! I can not imagine ever going back to a smaller phone again.

Subjugator

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
Like most everyone else, I got the 6+ For the screen size and better battery. I run with my 6+ almost daily. I just did 12mi yesterday. I use a FlipBelt, works perfect.

pete480

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Long Island, NY
Very happy with my 6+ It took a little getting used to, but after maybe 2 weeks, I got used to it.

I also don't wear tight pants and it fits fine in jeans and dress pants pockets with room to move around.

----------

I also got it for the screen size. Oh, and the battery is WAY better than I ever expected it to be.

dilutedq

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I got the IPhone 6+ for it's large awesome display, and most importantly a battery I don't have to think about.

I don't run, my knee's are horrible. I bike though, every day at least 5-10 miles. Being fall I wear track pants or a wind breaker jacket that have zip up pockets and my phone fits in those zip up pockets (on the pants as well) without me ever noticing the phone while riding my bike.

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
I weighed the pros and cons... it has all the right stuff in one package. Great screen, UI and especially the camera; music, productivity, ease and balance. Went from 5 to a 6 Plus... no regrets. It's the Papa of the Three Bears!

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
With the way we use our phones today, it makes sense to have the biggest phone you can comfortably carry and use. I'm a big guy with big hands. The plus made sense. I don't take many pictures, so ois wasn't even a factor.

I don't regret it for an instant. It isn't noticably larger or more awkward than my galaxy was. For about a day it was, "wow, this thing is big." Then after that, it just goes on to being the new normal.

Also, I didn't intend on it replacing my iPad, but it has. Not really because it should. More so because iOS8 has pretty much made my iPad 2 unusable. If I had a functioning iPad, I'd still use it regularly, but since I dont, the plus has been a great substitute.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
No complaints at all

I got the iPhone 6 plus by accident.

In the pre-order frenzy when every site was down or slow I finally got the phone added to my cart without any errors when I reviewed the order I relized that I had mistakenly chose the plus model. I decided that in order to get the new iPhone 6 on launch day, my best play was to order the plus right then and there.

In hind sight that was the best mistake I have ever made and I can't imagine going back to the smaller phone and the 5s look ridiculously small to me now.

The battery life and the screen are awesome and I haven't changed any of my phone habits from before.

----------

OK this is insane, I just unlocked the phone to look again (it's 11:55am now) and the phone is at 37%.

That is unusual. If this continues I would take the phone to Apple to see what the issue is.

----------

hNicolas

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Got my 6 Plus on launch day, at first it did seem too big but after a week it felt great I used the Apple leather case for a week too, then got my BSE skin and have been using it without the case since then. Feels great, battery can go for 2 days, takes great pictures, and the screen is awesome. I rarely use my iPad now. I have also gotten over the stupid fear of bending, I babied it for a couple of weeks, but now I use it just like any other phone I've used before and it's still perfectly straight!! :eek: Hahahaha.

Loving it, and no regrets at all! :)

Rockbird86

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
London
Got the 6+ a fortnight ago. Had wanted a bigger iPhone since I got my 5 and this is everything I wanted. I've loved all my phones (and I've had all except the 5S) but aside from the excitement of the first ever iPhone, I haven't been this in love with one since 2007. I do find the battery runs down fairly quickly but I'm on it constantly and in all honesty it took me 48 hours to be able to properly use it one handed. My husband's 4 is laughably tiny now.

Dave Felix

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2011
Scranton, Pennsylvania
1. Greater battery life. iPhone 6 would only bring some much more battery life than the iPhone 5S.

2. Size - I love to read on it while sitting on the couch, watch videos, etc.

I got it Friday, 10/10 and love it more and more each day. I was using the LG G3 and I just Apple's OS much smoother.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Coming from a 4S I already knew during the keynote that the 6 Plus was for me. While waiting for my pre-order shipment I saw a few YouTube videos of people saying "WOW THIS IS A BIG PHONE". That made me even happier. I needed a phone like this for work and to supplement my iPad Air. I had given up surfing the web on my 4S, given up reading long emails on my 4S and certain games just weren't playable on such a small screen as my 4S.
My 6 Plus is a breath of fresh air. I've had it almost a month and I'm very happy with it. Didn't hurt that I switched from Sprint to Verizon and got a plan $30 less than what I was giving Sprint.

I love the new features. OIS, upgraded landscape modes, 1080p screen and the battery life is amazing! :)

phonehead6720

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
1. Greater battery life. iPhone 6 would only bring some much more battery life than the iPhone 5S.

2. Size - I love to read on it while sitting on the couch, watch videos, etc.

I got it Friday, 10/10 and love it more and more each day. I was using the LG G3 and I just Apple's OS much smoother.

Hi Dave, I have a G3 and I've been considering the switch as well. I love the G3 but the battery can never last me through the day, it's a 6 hour battery at best unless you shut off all location services, etc to compromise. How have you found the 6 plus (I'm curious since you came from the G3)? I'm a former iPhone guy (up to the 4s) but went to android for the bigger screens. So I have nothing against iOS however I do think android is a bit more robust right now. The G3 is an awesome phone but the battery just doesn't cut it, as cool as all the bells and whistles are. Conflicted...

Jonobigblind

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
I plumped for the plus for the battery life and the fact that most things I do with my iPhone don't actually involve making a call. The bigger screen is so much better than the older versions.

I've just changed my work phone from a BB Curve to an iPhone 5c and it feels ridiculously small in comparison to my plus. It's like going from a grown up phone to a child's toy (size wise).

Steel28

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
I picked up my 6+ the first day it appeared in the apple store and have not regretted it all..

It took about 1 weeks use before it stopped feeling too large. Just remember to give it some time for your hand to adjust to the larger size... Once you do you will not look back.. I got it as I had a 5s and wanted to try a large screen phone. Saw the other phones with the large screen and just wanted one as I recently felt the 4 inch screens were finally too small..

Since then never regretted it.. The large screen, the much better camera and of course better battery are all winners in my book! The large screen and fonts are so much nicer to use in a daily basis.. It funny I have a full size 3rd generation iPad.. I actually use it much less as this has become a great all in one device.

Again it will feel large for a short while but once you get used to it it is hard to look at the smaller screen of the 6 or even something like the galaxy s5

Regarding size.. I wear regular fitting and relaxed fitting jeans (Levis 505 and 559). There is absolutely no issues with it fitting in the pocket or it feeling tight...

Running... It may feel a bit heavy or large. You may want to make sure it is secured to the body rather than bouncing around..

I tried my ip5 and it's hard to go back. Really enjoining my 6 Plus.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
iPhone Leather Case: 49$
iPod Shuffle: 49$

Please just buy a shuffle and clip it to your headphones like a necklace.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
TL/DR so I posted the most important parts in bold print.

Honestly, if the regular 6 had come with the same resolution and landscape capabilities and battery life, that form factor would have been preferable to me as it marries the decent screen size with portability in a more optimal way than the Plus does, at least for me. I won't lie, the Plus is big enough that its size is a compromising factor.

Everything else about the 6Plus is great, though and when paired with this case http://www.incipio.com/cases/iphone...land-ultra-thin-folio-case-iphone-6-plus.html it's a dream team.

Without that case I don't think I could even keep this phone because I'd otherwise have to baby it more than my activities and lifestyle and habits can accommodate. But that case leaves the phone thin enough that I can carry it in most of my pants pockets...to my surprise that even includes some tight kneelength workout pants that I didn't think had big enough pockets. I can also easily pull it out of pockets, even more easily than I could my IPhone 5s, because the 5s used to be in a thicker leather wallet case that would catch on my pockets.

Since its a wallet style case sort of similar to an iPad case, it has a cover that protects the screen. By now I've dropped the phone a couple of times and the phone emerged unscathed. The case is a rigid strong plastic, so Bendgate has not been a concern. The only threat of bending comes when I try to remove the phone from the case. It's possible but not easy and requires some care and attention.

I went with the Plus over the 6, and reaffirmed that decision after revisiting the 6 one more time before the return period was up because the screen on the Plus is sharper and renders more detail especially in certain map views. 6 Plus offers a better screen for reading and web browsing and for sharing photos with family members. That last one is important as I spend a lot of time with elder family members, keeping them connected and in the loop about what the younger ones are doing.

I'm currently on a trip and the incredible battery life is greatly appreciated since I'm sharing a limited number of free outlets with 4 other adults and their devices. I don't get a chance to charge my phone as often as I'd like but it's not been a problem. I can get by with charging every other day and still have enough power left to snap photos, check in on FB several times a day (as long as I remember to close out of that app) and look up a few things on the Internet.

Now if the S version of the 6 ends up with a sharp high Res screen and the same battery life offered by the Plus now, I'd be tempted to downsize a little. It depends...the longer I'm with the Plus, the more seamlessly it's integrating itself into my day.

dannynjoni

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2010
Usability

I've had my 6 Plus for two weeks today. Last day to take it back if I wanted to but I'm keeping it.

It comes down to usability - or the experience of it. I loved my 5s and it's portability, but this 6 Plus is just a joy to use! It is darn close to a very small iPad in it's functionality and I love that. The keyboard is more natural to type on for me than my 5s or iPad Air ever have been and thats a very important factor.

It has been a tough decision due to the size though. It really takes some getting used to! But it's the right device for me (for now).

It's a trade off for sure. But last night while out in the yard after mowing the lawn I started thinking about my dad who we lost recently so I sat down in our Arbor and wrote down my thoughts, and it really turned into a beautiful poem that I shared with my wife. His birthday comes next week and I'll probably share it with the rest of the family then. My point is that it was just as natural as could be to transition from listing to music while I worked and then producing something as if I had had my iPad on me. I think they got it just right.

Battery life, camera, and the biggest/best screen this side of the Galaxy Note 4 (great for GPS and games) are also some really nice things to have. Did I mention battery life??!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.