Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
From day one Apple will have replacements for warranty purposes ready. Probably at this point they're still new from the factory oppose to refurbished unit.

They always have this in stock. Don't worry about it.

Why I know is this because I dropped my iPhone on release day and they replaced it with a white-boxed one.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Nothing to worry about your iPhone is dead. You will get a new one without a problem (if it's not water damage). If you go to an Applestore. The only problem might be the stock availability.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The only problem might be the stock availability.
Apple stores typically have a small number of iPhones set aside for DOA replacements. The odds are pretty good that he'll probably get one.

They're also not at a point where they have sufficient refurbs in the queue. Maybe next month, or even December but right now I think its too soon

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Apple has spare phones in store for that reason. When they are "sold out" they still have some phones to help people with problem phones.

This is true. They always have extras in the back even when they say they're sold out. Had to replace my 5 on launch day. The manager pulled out a replacement even after they told me they had no more in stock.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Good god, his posts stressed me out! A rarity for sure.

Brand new iPhone is dead? Take it to the store when it opens. This just seems so simple. I hate to see how real life issues are dealt with.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
Feel bad for the OP. Even if the phone is outside of the return policy date, Apple should still replace it. That's what we do at best buy. If a customer buys a product (cell phone) and it just randomly dies or randomly starts to act crazy, we can actually replace the product even if it's past the return date. Now it is totally up to a manager and we do examine the phone to make sure that the customer didn't cause the issue by dropping it or if it's water damage. I've done it before for a few customers.
If you come in the store without yelling and making a scene and threatening everybody, I don't mind doing everything I can to help you out. I'm hoping the OP gets the same treatment when he goes to the Apple Store. Good luck bro!

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Feel bad for the OP. Even if the phone is outside of the return policy date, Apple should still replace it.

Apple does replace it even if it's after the return policy date. You just can't do a return/exchange process on the device.

You just have to set up a Genius Bar appointment, the genius at the Apple store will determine the fault and if found faulty, they will replace you a unit on the spot.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
Apple does replace it even if it's after the return policy date. You just can't do a return/exchange process on the device.

You just have to set up a Genius Bar appointment, the genius at the Apple store will determine the fault and if found faulty, they will replace you a unit on the spot.

Cool

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
just updated OP

****update 10/16, @ 8:55PM EST - my brand new iPhone 6+ had a kernel panic, the iPhone was toast, i waited forever even with an appointment in the packed apple store - he gave me an iPhone 6+ that had been in a plain white box and I paid for blue apple silicone case - the manager acted like a used car salesman saying white iPhone boxed ones are better than a brand new iPhones as they goes though stricter tests?!? he said I had 14 days to return and was past that date and I should be lucky I even had an iPhone 6+ as most people can't even buy one?!?*******

called amex and they said they would help me if i wanted a brand new iPhone, not sure if it really matters or not?!?

i have a bunch a pics and a videos of it, will post if anyone cares to see, too tired at this moment....how could that have happened? i set up as new, used about 30GB out of 64GB and out of no where it just died....

when i find factory/week i will post......

Altimax98

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lakeland Fl
I feel for you OP. I believe that under different circumstances (them actually having supplies) you would have gotten an brand new one. You are a little fortunate to get one because they could have been out entirely.

He is right though that they go through rigorous testing. Chances are someone bought it and returned it since it was too big so it's practically brand new. Not quite a 1 to 1 replacement but it's better then nothing thats for sure

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
I feel for you OP. I believe that under different circumstances (them actually having supplies) you would have gotten an brand new one. You are a little fortunate to get one because they could have been out entirely.

He is right though that they go through rigorous testing. Chances are someone bought it and returned it since it was too big so it's practically brand new. Not quite a 1 to 1 replacement but it's better then nothing thats for sure

thank you so much! yes def lucky to get the 6+ especially!

all just not cool when i've paid 1K for an iPhone and cases and it had a kernel panic, must have been a bad chip, so weird as i mentioned it on my old mac book, when i wrote the thread - i think peeps from UK were posting thinking i could just pop over to a store, time difference, plus i was not sure if could store could even help b/c of stock issues.....

what are the odds of 2 KP's esp one on an iPhone! when the apple dude said the 14 day speech, i said whatever fine!! i will call apple CS, they are super nice, in fact i should have just dealt with them as going to the apple store is not for me, stay away from that place!! spent almost 3 hours there, had to listen to an iPad 2 user demanding a new iPad b/c the Facebook app was not responsive + someone else complain about a microscopic dot on his iPhone was painful but i guess it's all relative - the people working in the store seemed spent + exhausted...

on a happy note, amex said they would have a brand new iPhone sent to me asap if i wanted their help, love amex!!

have some funny pics (well funny now i guess!) must post them soon, the video looks like the iPhone was going to blow like a firecracker!

have a great weekend!

dopeman

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
oh god, anyone have the link to that iPhone checker?? and it's a plus - i know ATT has been wiped clean for the past few days near me in store

i wonder if there is no availability ...wouldnt they ship another from china to you again but 1st class?

----------

just updated OP

****update 10/16, @ 8:55PM EST - my brand new iPhone 6+ had a kernel panic, the iPhone was toast, i waited forever even with an appointment in the packed apple store - he gave me an iPhone 6+ that had been in a plain white box and I paid for blue apple silicone case - the manager acted like a used car salesman saying white iPhone boxed ones are better than a brand new iPhones as they goes though stricter tests?!? he said I had 14 days to return and was past that date and I should be lucky I even had an iPhone 6+ as most people can't even buy one?!?*******

called amex and they said they would help me if i wanted a brand new iPhone, not sure if it really matters or not?!?

i have a bunch a pics and a videos of it, will post if anyone cares to see, too tired at this moment....how could that have happened? i set up as new, used about 30GB out of 64GB and out of no where it just died....

when i find factory/week i will post......

could you post some pics so i can see what it looks like?

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
It's probably a new one just in a white box I doubt they have refurbished units already

thanks, sure hope so - better check it's not from the same factory/week as the last one! would have been nice to have another cord in a new box, but i'll live unless of course this one decides to actually blow up, although it would be way cooler then bendgate :eek:

----------

i wonder if there is no availability ...wouldnt they ship another from china to you again but 1st class?

----------

could you post some pics so i can see what it looks like?

mine only fly private not commercial...ha!

will totally post this w/e - have a bunch of pics, i can laugh at them now....i also have a few videos..should i use vimeo or can you just put videos in a post? thx!

dopeman

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
thanks, sure hope so - better check it's not from the same factory/week as the last one! would have been nice to have another cord in a new box, but i'll live unless of course this one decides to actually blow up, although it would be way cooler then bendgate :eek:

----------

mine only fly private not commercial...ha!

will totally post this w/e - have a bunch of pics, i can laugh at them now....i also have a few videos..should i use vimeo or can you just put videos in a post? thx!

either video would be good....first time me seeing this.

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
some pics of the iPhone 6+ having a massive panic

Attachments

• IMG_5650_zps6f1bd341.jpg
    IMG_5650_zps6f1bd341.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5646_zpsc77e03c1.jpg
    IMG_5646_zpsc77e03c1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5620_zps169115d4.jpg
    IMG_5620_zps169115d4.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5604_zpsab95d6eb.jpg
    IMG_5604_zpsab95d6eb.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5582_zpsb07caf86.jpg
    IMG_5582_zpsb07caf86.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 60

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
some more

Attachments

• IMG_5549_zpsad54d955.jpg
    IMG_5549_zpsad54d955.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5547_zpse70ba759.jpg
    IMG_5547_zpse70ba759.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5532_zps5ea4af08.jpg
    IMG_5532_zps5ea4af08.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5524_zps90db7ea4.jpg
    IMG_5524_zps90db7ea4.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5624_zpsa7b614b4.jpg
    IMG_5624_zpsa7b614b4.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 50

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
19 Sept 2014 - 16 Oct 2014 RIP

Group1: iPhone
Group2: 6 plus
Screen size: 5.5 inch
Screen resolution: 1920x108 pixels
Colour: Gold
Production year: 2014
Production week: 35 (September)
Model introduced: 2014
Capacity: 64GB
Factory: F2 (China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn)

Attachments

• IMG_5621_zpsef809d51.jpg
    IMG_5621_zpsef809d51.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 54
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.