Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
First of all, that phone wasn't "bumped" to get bent like that, especially if the battery burst in the process. Second, Lithium Ion batteries can explode/burn if the internals are exposed to oxygen - that's a big reason the airlines have set guidelines on how those can be transported in the air.

----------

it doesn't seem apple will do anything about this.

Why would they need to?

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I think the point is that batteries are known to set on fire if put under stress in lots of devices. If the casing flexes but the internal components don't then stress is put on them. No one is saying all bent phones should have burst into flames but certainly pressure on the battery could cause that.

Not sure a nasty chemical fire like this is going to be extinguished by cutting off oxygen in someones pocket, but fair play trying to find a reason why you can dismiss this as fake.

You seem to overlook the key to this situation - the impact that bent the phone in the first place was NOT an everyday bump. The weight of the phone's owner, plus the two people to his right were all pressed up against the steel rail of the ride. So you're literally talking about at least 400 lbs of pressure against a rail that's no more than 1 inch in diameter.

The bottom line is that this report is meaningless in the big picture because it was such an extraordinary set of circumstances in the first place. Li-ion batteries can burst into flame under the right circumstances, and Apple already includes that disclosure in their legally mandated safety disclosures that are part of the agreement you claim to have read and agreed to when setting up your phone for the first time. It's a non-story, and attempting to claim otherwise is disingenuous at best, and in the journalism world would be considered reckless reporting.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Thought it was worth sharing this one here. An extremely worrying case from Phillip Lechter regarding his iPhone 6. During a rickshaw ride his phone bumped** against the side of the rickshaw in his pocket and bent quite badly. The resulting bend appears to have damaged the battery and caused it to catch fire resulting in quite severe burns. Apple have not yet responded to the case.

http://philliplechter.wordpress.com/2014/10/14/my-apple-iphone-6-bent-and-caught-on-fire-in-my-front-pocket/

Hopefully most of the smaller bends we are seeing aren't enough to damage the battery, but with a phone that is structurally weak this kind of thing could be a concern in the case of a minor accident.

**seems some people don't like the word 'bumped'. I don't mean to mischaracterize this as a minor knock. By the account in the blog it was quite a hard knock against the side of the rickshaw. Bumped is a word I would use for banging into something, sorry for any confusion**

**Here is the exact quote as to how the collision/hanging over/bending occurred. It's not really clear if it was bent due to collision with the side or due to some sort of hanging over the edge and the phone compressing over a bar as Surf Monkey suggests: Fortunately, the rickshaw didn’t tip all the way over, and we were not thrown out. I was half on, half off the rickshaw as I was sitting on the left side of the seat. I immediately checked my wife and son to make sure they were ok. While I was looking at them, I felt a burning sensation on my leg and then saw and smelled smoke from my pants. I surveyed the rickshaw quickly and could not find anything that could have set me on fire. Then it hit me, my phone was in my pocket. Somehow in the process of the tipping of the rickshaw my new APPLE iPhone 6 had bent in my front pocket and caught on fire.**

Dude, I would just stop wasting my time if I was you.
Whatever your agenda is, its not getting you anywhere.

kalebnate

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
You seem to overlook the key to this situation - the impact that bent the phone in the first place was NOT an everyday bump. The weight of the phone's owner, plus the two people to his right were all pressed up against the steel rail of the ride. So you're literally talking about at least 400 lbs of pressure against a rail that's no more than 1 inch in diameter.

The bottom line is that this report is meaningless in the big picture because it was such an extraordinary set of circumstances in the first place. Li-ion batteries can burst into flame under the right circumstances, and Apple already includes that disclosure in their legally mandated safety disclosures that are part of the agreement you claim to have read and agreed to when setting up your phone for the first time. It's a non-story, and attempting to claim otherwise is disingenuous at best, and in the journalism world would be considered reckless reporting.

I didn't really read the comments but I thought everyone would assume that as well ?? Obviously it's an incident that doesn't occur regularly ... It's like when you fall and twist your ankle but recover a few days later, opposed to falling the same fall but breaking your ankle ... Doesn't happen in every incident but CAN DO in some instants. Kind of common logic.

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014

I agree completely this was an extreme case. My concern is that all the other bent phones we are seeing must be putting stress on the battery, there is no where else for the pressure to go except the internal components. So is a phone with a several milimetre bend in it at risk of the battery being damaged? I'd say that any bend to a LiPo battery is a risk.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I agree completely this was an extreme case. My concern is that all the other bent phones we are seeing must be putting stress on the battery, there is no where else for the pressure to go except the internal components. So is a phone with a several milimetre bend in it at risk of the battery being damaged? I'd say that any bend to a LiPo battery is a risk.

Again, you're taking an edge case with an EXTREME amount of pressure applied and trying to imply that even slight bends would have the same effect. However, NONE of the people reporting bending from "normal" activity have reported any issues with the battery. That alone proves your theory wrong.

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Again, you're taking an edge case with an EXTREME amount of pressure applied and trying to imply that even slight bends would have the same effect. However, NONE of the people reporting bending from "normal" activity have reported any issues with the battery. That alone proves your theory wrong.

I hope so.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Did the person who got burned have no feeling in their leg? WTF!

No way you should have let your leg get burnt that bad.

Any phone would do this if damaged this bad.

Last edited:

tg81

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
I don't mean to mischaracterize this as a minor knock. By the account in the blog it was quite a hard knock against the side of the rickshaw. Bumped is a word I would use for banging into something,
You can't blame people for being sceptical about that when on your website you are still characterizing it as bend that occurred after he simply "bumped it against the side in his pocket"

As well as that the two photo's of the phone you chose to use here and on your website are at an angle that appear to show relatively minor bending occurred before the fire, as if to suggest that any phone that has a bend might be at risk of igniting.
Whereas this photo:
phone-in-street-e1413317087312.jpg
http://philliplechter.wordpress.com/2014/10/14/my-apple-iphone-6-bent-and-caught-on-fire-in-my-front-pocket/
which is right above the two that you chose to use, shows the damage to the phone to the phone to be major and catastrophic.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
OP, if that's a "bump" I'd hate to see what you consider a full on smash up. I think at that point, the phone would have to fold in on itself in a singularity.
I think you are doing a real disservice to yourself and people that visit your site by trying to push the agenda that you have of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus being "bendable". Not that it would ever happen, but I'd like to see any modern phone go through what this iPhone went through and survive without the same damage. I think, even the great and powerful Galaxy Note 3 and 4 would probably be in pieces at that point.
All from a little "bump".

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
You can't blame people for being sceptical about that when on your website you are still characterizing it as bend that occurred after he simply "bumped it against the side in his pocket"

I picked close up images due to making a 3 image collage, no conspiracy.

Actually the original blog post characterises it as a bend that occurred and caused a fire. MY APPLE IPHONE 6 BENT AND CAUGHT ON FIRE IN MY FRONT POCKET! I didn't include the 'in my front pocket' emphasis as I realised a few here would get upset as those who claim they have iphones bend in front pockets are liars.

----------

OP, if that's a "bump" I'd hate to see what you consider a full on smash up. I think at that point, the phone would have to fold in on itself in a singularity.
I think you are doing a real disservice to yourself and people that visit your site by trying to push the agenda that you have of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus being "bendable". Not that it would ever happen, but I'd like to see any modern phone go through what this iPhone went through and survive without the same damage. I think, even the great and powerful Galaxy Note 3 and 4 would probably be in pieces at that point.
All from a little "bump".

I am well aware any phone would take significant damage in a collision of this nature. The point was to ask whether an easily bending case which will of course cause bending batteries is a risk.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
I picked close up images due to making a 3 image collage, no conspiracy.
[/COLOR]

I am well aware any phone would take significant damage in a collision of this nature. The point was to ask whether an easily bending case which will of course cause bending batteries is a risk.

No. Your point, as it has been pointed out many times before, is to try to hype up the entire "bendgate" scenario.
And here you are again, trying to do the exact same thing by using words that no one in their right mind would use with this story. I can forgive the actual person this happened to, because it is their story and they can sell it however they want. You, on the other hand, are clearly pushing an agenda, with your website and constant posting about the issue.
That said, it's quite disingenuous of you to try and portray this as a simple bump and all of a sudden the iPhone caught on fire. Any phone in the same situation would have pretty much done the exact same thing, since the force needed to bend a phone and the battery inside, would bend and break any phone on the market.
No way to actually test that without someone going through the EXACT same scenario though, so I guess you can continue to push this through as if the person simply bumped his iPhone against the side of the rickshaw (would you consider this "normal usage"?).

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
No. Your point, as it has been pointed out many times before, is to try to hype up the entire "bendgate" scenario.
And here you are again, trying to do the exact same thing by using words that no one in their right mind would use with this story. I can forgive the actual person this happened to, because it is their story and they can sell it however they want. You, on the other hand, are clearly pushing an agenda, with your website and constant posting about the issue.
That said, it's quite disingenuous of you to try and portray this as a simple bump and all of a sudden the iPhone caught on fire. Any phone in the same situation would have pretty much done the exact same thing, since the force needed to bend a phone and the battery inside, would bend and break any phone on the market.
No way to actually test that without someone going through the EXACT same scenario though, so I guess you can continue to push this through as if the person simply bumped his iPhone against the side of the rickshaw (would you consider this "normal usage"?).

If by agenda you mean my belief that the iPhone 6 and 6+ have been built to a level of thinness that they are not structurally fit for purpose, then sure. If by agenda you mean trying to get Apple to take care of loyal customers that have done nothing outside of what they do with every other phone they owned, then sure. If by agenda you mean discussing the issue here with quite a wide knowledge now of what is occurring to iPhones and the way people are being labelled liars by Apple, then sure.

If however by agenda you mean that I have some sort of anti-Apple bias or are on the payroll of a competitor, then I'm afraid you are mistaken. I am almost exclusively an Apple customer when it comes to tech and have been for 20 years.

In this particular case I was sent it by someone this morning and thought it may be of interest to people here. It was very much characterised as a bend issue when sent to me and in the original blog. It was the first thread I have created here and of course fully expected backlash from some. In no way am I suggesting other phones wouldn't have been significantly damaged but would they have bent to the point the battery ruptured or is that a side effect of a weak casing? who knows.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
If by agenda you mean my belief that the iPhone 6 and 6+ have been built to a level of thinness that they are not structurally fit for purpose, then sure. If by agenda you mean trying to get Apple to take care of loyal customers that have done nothing outside of what they do with every other phone they owned, then sure. If by agenda you mean discussing the issue here with quite a wide knowledge now of what is occurring to iPhones and the way people are being labelled liars by Apple, then sure.

If however by agenda you mean that I have some sort of anti-Apple bias or are on the payroll of a competitor, then I'm afraid you are mistaken. I am almost exclusively an Apple customer when it comes to tech and have been for 20 years.

In this particular case I was sent it by someone this morning and thought it may be of interest to people here. It was very much characterised as a bend issue when sent to me and in the original blog. It was the first thread I have created here and of course fully expected backlash from some. In no way am I suggesting other phones wouldn't have been significantly damaged but would they have bent to the point the battery ruptured or is that a side effect of a weak casing? who knows.
As I stated, you aren't going to know what would happen to other phones unless you put them in the exact same situation. However, portraying this as just another issue of the iPhone 6 bending is wrong, and you know it. However, it fits your agenda. You don't care to get it fixed. You just like the attention you are getting. If it actually got fixed, you'd have nothing to spend your spare time on.
Nothing I say or do is going to change how you handle yourself and this situation. Hopefully others will read this and know that you aren't looking out for anyone's best interests but your own.

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
As I stated, you aren't going to know what would happen to other phones unless you put them in the exact same situation. However, portraying this as just another issue of the iPhone 6 bending is wrong, and you know it. However, it fits your agenda. You don't care to get it fixed. You just like the attention you are getting. If it actually got fixed, you'd have nothing to spend your spare time on.
Nothing I say or do is going to change how you handle yourself and this situation. Hopefully others will read this and know that you aren't looking out for anyone's best interests but your own.

If Apple admitted the problem and promised to replace bent iPhones then I would shut the site down immediately. As it is they are doing the exact opposite in denying the problem and refusing to replace.

You mistake drawing attention to the issue for personal attention seeking. What am I possibly gaining for myself?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
You mistake drawing attention to the issue for personal attention seeking. What am I possibly gaining for myself?

Hits on your website.

Put it this way - I knew who started this topic just looking at the title.

The phone in question here isn't "bent" from normal use. If you snap a battery in half of course it will vent. What do you expect it to do?

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Who knows.

If you weren't here to drive traffic to your site you'd have a different username and signature.

Raising awareness of an issue and trying to make sure it is addressed in a way that is right for customers?

tg81

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
I picked close up images due to making a 3 image collage, no conspiracy

Oh. I see.
So the reason you rejected this picture:

in favour of these two:

phone-in-case.jpg
phone-back.jpg

was because the second two were close ups - not because by themselves they make it appear that relatively minor bending which probably shouldn't have hurt the battery had caused an iPhone to catch fire, as opposed to the first image which shows the damage to actually be so catastrophic that it would almost certainly have resulted in a smashed battery making leakage and ignition just about inevitable on any phone.
Sorry my mistake.

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Oh. I see.
So the reason you rejected this picture:

in favour of these two:

ImageImage

was because the second two were close ups - not because by themselves they make it appear that relatively minor bending which probably shouldn't have hurt the battery had caused an iPhone to catch fire, as opposed to the first image which shows the damage to actually be so catastrophic that it would almost certainly have resulted in a smashed battery making leakage and ignition just about inevitable on any phone.
Sorry my mistake.

Haha, no. But i wish had given it that much thought and i might have used a word other than 'bumped'. I love the conspiracy theories that can be attached to anything and everything by some people.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Haha, no. But i wish had given it that much thought and i might have used a word other than 'bumped'. I love the conspiracy theories that can be attached to anything and everything by some people.

Coming from the person trying to make something out of nothing. You're flogging a dead horse - nobody here is interested in your site. I'm not really sure why the mods allow you to promote your site in such a way tbh.

tg81

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
Raising awareness of an issue and trying to make sure it is addressed in a way that is right for customers?

Unless the customers aren't customers of Apple of course. Like the 15 pages worth of Sony's customers in this Sony forum thread with bent phones.
https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z1-Z1s/Just-realized-my-month-old-z1-is-bent/td-p/440181

Remember in the other bent thread when you were accused of having an agenda against Apple you said that if you were shown evidence of large numbers of bent phones from another company that you would set up a site for them. When you were shown that evidence you decided you were too busy, but eventually said you would set up a link so that they could post their pics. Even that doesn't appear to have happened.

----------

Haha, no. But i wish had given it that much thought and i might have used a word other than 'bumped'.

Fair enough. I guess its just that most people on the planet wouldn't have to think too long to see that it was more than a "bump" that caused this damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.