Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I'm going to be picking up a 6 or Plus next week - can't wait.

But I and probably many others like many others are still struggling with what version to go for.

For what I use my phone for as it stands (social media, youtube, web browsing and the occasional game here and there), the Plus definitely ticks all the boxes.

I've had a S3, N4 and N5 before coming back to my current 5S so I'm familiar with the 6 in terms of size.

I've held both devices a few times now but I don't have the largest hands in the world so while I can totally hold the Plus and do stuff with it, I found myself having to shuffle down the phone to reach the home button if using one handed. Does anyone have to do the same?

With the 6, looking at it, I don't really see it as a true upgrade given I've had phones that size before - "been there done that" type situation.....

I always envisioned that I'd go with the 6 for the ease of use but I'm really tempted to give the Plus a go but's its taking that leap I guess into Phablet territory as a daily driver....

Really stumped so any thoughts from both sides of the fence would be appreciated.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
ITs been asked numerous times, and I think it all boils down to what model fits your needs and wants.

There is no right or wrong answer. What model best fits your needs. The plus has certain advantages as does the iPhone 6.

Personally I prefer the iPhone 6 plus but that's me. You may have different needs.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
ITs been asked numerous times, and I think it all boils down to what model fits your needs and wants.

There is no right or wrong answer. What model best fits your needs. The plus has certain advantages as does the iPhone 6.

Personally I prefer the iPhone 6 plus but that's me. You may have different needs.

Both models fit my needs I guess! As confusing as that sounds.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Try to decide what you are willing to carry day in and day out. As much as I liked the 6+ it was a bit bigger than I want to deal with on a daily basis for my business phone. Each has to decide on their own.

Get the 6+ and return it within the grace period if you do not like. If you have the money, GET BOTH!

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I never went into the 6Plus with the idea that it needs to be a "1 handed device". I love the size of the 6 Plus, just make the whole experience of using the phone that much better.

IMHO just go into it with a "it's a two handed device" attitude and the times when you can do a few things with one hand will just be a bonus.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Do you think you'll have problems carrying the 6 plus around? I think the IP6+ offers more in terms of battery, camera and display so focus on that, and if that's just too big then you can opt for the smaller version.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
Try to decide what you are willing to carry day in and day out. As much as I liked the 6+ it was a bit bigger than I want to deal with on a daily basis for my business phone. Each has to decide on their own.

Get the 6+ and return it within the grace period if you do not like. If you have the money, GET BOTH!

I'm willing to carry the Plus on a daily basis as I'll be at work and can just put it in my coat/suit pocket or leave it on the table. It's the social situations where having a Plus presents issues I guess.

I like the idea of having a Plus - especially on my commute and at home when my Air is upstairs, but it's getting over that hurdle of having a large phone that's giving me the headaches....

----------

Do you think you'll have problems carrying the 6 plus around? I think the IP6+ offers more in terms of battery, camera and display so focus on that, and if that's just too big then you can opt for the smaller version.

From my times with the device - I can totally hold it in my hand, but as I said, I would have to wiggle the phone down to reach the home button, but am I worrying about something for nothing and would just have to adapt my current style to that of someone with a Phablet?

I am a heavy user in terms of online content and social media so having the larger screen would be good to have.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I'm willing to carry the Plus on a daily basis as I'll be at work and can just put it in my coat/suit pocket or leave it on the table. It's the social situations where having a Plus presents issues I guess.

I like the idea of having a Plus - especially on my commute and at home when my Air is upstairs, but it's getting over that hurdle of having a large phone that's giving me the headaches....

----------

From my times with the device - I can totally hold it in my hand, but as I said, I would have to wiggle the phone down to reach the home button, but am I worrying about something for nothing and would just have to adapt my current style to that of someone with a Phablet?

I am a heavy user in terms of online content and social media so having the larger screen would be good to have.

What social situations are you referring to (can not think of any where the size of my phone comes into play)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I won't lie to you, I do miss the ease of one handed operation that that I could do with my iPhone 5c. With that said, there is no comparison when browsing online, using social apps and what not. The iPhone 6 plus is awesome. I have zero buyers remorse over this.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
What social situations are you referring to (can not think of any where the size of my phone comes into play)

Like in the Summer for example. Or on a night out/at a Party and not having a suit jacket pocket to put the phone in.

I wear skinny jeans so the size of the plus is an issue on that front. You're not wanting to be holding the Plus while having drinks all night.

As I said, I totally like the idea of owning the Plus. But I don't want issues like the above to be the reason I don't get one, pick up a 6 and think I've made the wrong choice.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I won't lie to you, I do miss the ease of one handed operation that that I could do with my iPhone 5c. With that said, there is no comparison when browsing online, using social apps and what not. The iPhone 6 plus is awesome. I have zero buyers remorse over this.

I feel the same way.

I was a little overwhelmed when it first arrived, but after a few weeks using it I couldn't go back to a smaller phone.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Both are excellent phones and both have pro's and con's. The Plus has a few additional features and if you don't mind the size and the increase in price, I would get that.

For me however the size of the 6 Plus undid any advantage it has over the 6 because I don't want a huge phone. So for me the 6 was the better phone and it suits my needs best. It is entirely up to you.

If you sit on a hard chair with the 6 Plus in your back pocket, there is a chance it will bend though. ;)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Like in the Summer for example. Or on a night out/at a Party and not having a suit jacket pocket to put the phone in.

I wear skinny jeans so the size of the plus is an issue on that front. You're not wanting to be holding the Plus while having drinks all night.

As I said, I totally like the idea of owning the Plus. But I don't want issues like the above to be the reason I don't get one, pick up a 6 and think I've made the wrong choice.

There is no way I would give up being able to holster or pocket my phone and having to hold it for long periods of time, while not using it. I get large amounts of calls, texts and emails when out of the office, heck the ability to deal with these allows me to leave the office. I need a way of getting to my phone and then being able to park it somewhere to continue what I was doing in the field with both hands free.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you sit on a hard chair with the 6 Plus in your back pocket, there is a chance it will bend though. ;)
Being so big, you need to change some of your habits. For instance, I opted for a holster type case that clips to my belt. I found that keeps the pockets free and removes any risk of putting the iPhone in harms way.

It fits with some wiggle room in my front pocket but I wanted to be safe so I opted for the Waterfield Spinn
Spinn.png

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
Being so big, you need to change some of your habits. For instance, I opted for a holster type case that clips to my belt. I found that keeps the pockets free and removes any risk of putting the iPhone in harms way.

It fits with some wiggle room in my front pocket but I wanted to be safe so I opted for the Waterfield Spinn

I think this is the issue - the change in habits. Can I get used to two handed use for pretty much everything. I mean I use two hands for texting with the 5S and did so with the Android phones so shouldn't be different with a Plus no?

I just kind of think having to buy extra stuff bar a case just to have a phone defeats the object of having a phone.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I think this is the issue - the change in habits. Can I get used to two handed use for pretty much everything. I mean I use two hands for texting with the 5S and did so with the Android phones so shouldn't be different with a Plus no?

I just kind of think having to buy extra stuff bar a case just to have a phone defeats the object of having a phone.

Well if you are not willing/ready to change some things then the 6Plus is not for you.

Me, i never wear a shirt without a pocket

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
Well if you are not willing/ready to change some things then the 6Plus is not for you.

Me, i never wear a shirt without a pocket

I never said I wasn't willing to change things/habits, but it's still a reasonable argument to suggest that you shouldn't need to buy a pocket that you put on your belt in order to have a 6 Plus.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Get the 6. I don't think you're completely ready to go into the world of massive phones unless you're completely sure of that. I'm convinced that anybody that "needs convincing" should just go to the 6 unless they've used 5"+ phones before. Had Apple never even presented the Plus, many would probably still be mocking people for using 5.5 inch phones...

That and the 6 Plus is extremely flawed in its build quality (many bent phones, it's an issue, albeit probably overstated), so I would rather wait to see if it gets addressed in the next refresh next year.

All of these people that say "no way I don't regret the Plus" might end up regretting it if Apple does fix the flaws in the next model, or a massive problem with the manufacturing leaves most of the Plus models mangled after many months of regular use.

It's a great phone but there's clearly a lot of issues with it, far more than the 6.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
Get the 6. I don't think you're completely ready to go into the world of massive phones unless you're completely sure of that. I'm convinced that anybody that "needs convincing" should just go to the 6 unless they've used 5"+ phones before. Had Apple never even presented the Plus, many would probably still be mocking people for using 5.5 inch phones...

That and the 6 Plus is extremely flawed in its build quality (many bent phones, it's an issue, albeit probably overstated), so I would rather wait to see if it gets addressed in the next refresh next year.

All of these people that say "no way I don't regret the Plus" might end up regretting it if Apple does fix the flaws in the next model, or a massive problem with the manufacturing leaves most of the Plus models mangled after many months of regular use.

It's a great phone but there's clearly a lot of issues with it, far more than the 6.

But when would I ever be ready unless I just make the jump?

Lots of people here have gone from a 4S/5/5S into a 6 Plus and I myself have had experience using the 4.7/5" phones so would the 6 be a true "upgrade"?

Scott1012

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
New York City
In my opinion, only the 6 plus feels like a true upgrade. I think the size thing in the pocket is way overblown unless you where skinny jeans. Also, the screen real esate for streaming videos or document reading is a huge leap. I could never see myself going ack to my 5s. However, it really is a persoanl choice.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
But when would I ever be ready unless I just make the jump?

Lots of people here have gone from a 4S/5/5S into a 6 Plus and I myself have had experience using the 4.7/5" phones so would the 6 be a true "upgrade"?

4" to 4.7" is much easier to swallow than the jump to 5.5".

I was a very happy Plus owner until I got into some real-world situations where I was trying to use my phone like I did my 5s, sending quick texts, getting my music ready for my car, and taking pictures, and well... it was pretty difficult to manage. It all became a much bigger deal to do any of this stuff that I consider phone essentials. I returned it for a 6 and I just enjoy it a lot more. The screen size bump is nice and the usability is pretty much the same as the last generation.

I mean, the Plus is an awesome device and all, and the screen and battery are unparalleled, but I have to tell you, the size becomes a burden if you're happy with using your phone how you are now.

If you went into the 6 announcement without a big emphasis on the size argument then I see no logical reason to why you'd want to jump into a 5.5" phone, which is a little ridiculous unless you know that's it exactly what you want.

The real issue isn't the screen size but the height of the device. They have to trim the bezels down for this to become a practical device.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Very salient point. I saw someone with a Note 3 in an armband holder at a 10K a few weeks ago. Seemed really awkward.

5.5 inch phones might be the size of the future, but I don't think Apple completely nailed the design on the Plus and even the 6. It's just absolutely surreal that some 5 inch Android phones are smaller in form than the iPhone 6. It's just time that they rework how the front panel looks and trim the top and bottom as far as they can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.