Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jenni122701

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
(Western) North Carolina, USA
I know it's just something that is personal opinion, but it irks me when people refer to a phone a model, or even 2 models past as "old". I guess I just don't think something is old just because it's not the newest. I see a lot of people talking about having "old" iPhones 5, 5s or 5c. Those are great phones, doesn't seem old fits them to me. Like I said it's just a matter of opinion I guess. I have a 5c, it's actually new, so I guess I have a new, old phone, eh? I will have to get used to it because I won't be upgrading for probably a year and a half. Lol!

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
I bought the last Mac Mini when it came out... Apple didn't update it for something like two years (updated last week). I have to admit, it was strange to have a two-year old computer that was still "the latest" model.

A nice kind of strange! ;)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I know it's just something that is personal opinion, but it irks me when people refer to a phone a model, or even 2 models past as "old". I guess I just don't think something is old just because it's not the newest. I see a lot of people talking about having "old" iPhones 5, 5s or 5c. Those are great phones, doesn't seem old fits them to me. Like I said it's just a matter of opinion I guess. I have a 5c, it's actually new, so I guess I have a new, old phone, eh? I will have to get used to it because I won't be upgrading for probably a year and a half. Lol!
The people using "old" that way are the kind of people that pursue the iPhone as a status symbol and not because it's a phone that serves their needs.

It's superficial and so are those people.

I choose to look at it this way…call it old if you want, but it's old in the same way a classic muscle car is. Yet, no one is looking down on the kinds of classic muscle cars that people choose to drive. Those cars go for thousands and sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars.

My own personal iPhone is the iPhone 5. Call it what you want, but I love the look and feel of this phone and it's my choice.

----------

I bought the last Mac Mini when it came out... Apple didn't update it for something like two years (updated last week). I have to admit, it was strange to have a two-year old computer that was still "the latest" model.

A nice kind of strange! ;)
Hmmm…I have the latest PowerBook G4 17" (2006).

It's eight years old, but it's the latest PowerBook G4 that Apple made. Somehow, I don't think Apple is ever going to update it. ;):rolleyes:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I suppose obsolescence is a part of life :)

There are two ways of looking at obsolescence:

1. When the vendor who made the product stops supporting it with new updates or repairs,

2. When it no longer effectively does what it was designed to do.

In neither case is last year's model obsolete, or even the one before that. You can still run the current OS on them, you'll even be able to use the Apple Watch with them when it comes out and gain more features. And they still definitely do their jobs.

And the official definition: "No longer produced or used, out of date." Apple still makes the 5s and 5c. And people still buy and use them.

jenni122701

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
(Western) North Carolina, USA
Yeah, I almost never have the newest version of anything. Most of the time my stuff is at least a model if not two past. I still use an iPad 2. Lol! Though I DO really want an iPad Air. Eventually I'll get one hopefully. For a while yet though it's gonna be my iPhone 5c and iPad 2.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Old is relative, a 2 year old car is not old. A 2 year old human is not old. A 2 year old phone is old.

The pace of updates with the phone, means that it ages quite quickly.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Yeah, I almost never have the newest version of anything. Most of the time my stuff is at least a model if not two past. I still use an iPad 2. Lol! Though I DO really want an iPad Air. Eventually I'll get one hopefully. For a while yet though it's gonna be my iPhone 5c and iPad 2.

If they work for you and perform to your satisifaction, then I wouldn't worry about it. There are certain aspects of the iPhone 4s and 5s that I prefer over the newer models, but I am a geek and I like to have cutting edge hardware. Strangely though, I'm running a desktop PC with a CPU, motherboard and RAM from 2010. But it does everything I need, so I spend my money elsewhere.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Dont let it frustrate you.
Just use whatever works best for your, your lifestyle and your budget.
Making wise financial decisions in life is more important than always having the newest and best tech out there.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
My 4s must fall into the ancient category then. I am thinking about updating however I only do voice, text, and FaceTime my son occasionally. I don't really need a new phone for the little I use mine I guess. I've seen people call it old and that it's 4 yrs. old already but it was released in Oct. 2011... By my calculations that's just 3 yrs, not 4. Anyway, they can call it whatever they want..but it still works. :D

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
So? It's the older model. Just fact. Nothing wrong with that. I recently purchased a 5s 64GB and planning on grabbing another 5c because they're still pretty darned good phones. No noticeable slow down with iPhone 5/5c on iOS 8 despite the 2 year old CPU, either. As maflynn has stated, 2 years is old for a phone (or really, any electronics) given how quickly technology moves. Heck, with other manufacturers, even 6 months is old.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008

Agree completely.
Probably best to avoid this forum though.
So many in here will just constantly insist that it's "essential" to have literally whatever new Apple product they've come out with.

The frothing over the 6+ is borderline hilarious in some of the threads.
You could *give* me that thing and I would just sell it and happily go back to my 5s.
Absolutely no desire for a phone that size. (or the 6 I just sold actually either)

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
Well, the phone is old. Just like the Galaxy S3 would be considered old. Just like the HTC Evo would be considered old. Does that mean the phones don't work anymore? Of course not. They're just not current generation phones. The PS3 and Xbox 360 are considered old. Again they still work but they're simply not current generation consoles. The 5C works just fine. In terms of sheer specs, of course the 6 and especially the 6 plus have the better. Dont see how anybody can dispute that. That's like comparing the Galaxy S3 to the Galaxy S5. But again that doesn't mean the 5C is some horrible piece of crap mobile phone. For some people, the 5C works. Nothing wrong with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.