Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
One more (Hat Trick!), this was a killer combo the other night:

Attachments

• IMG_6395.jpg
    IMG_6395.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 150

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I like the following places, mainly in the gas lamp district:

Bubs at the Ball Park
The Local Eatery & Drinking Hole
Triple Crown Pub
Tilted Kilt (They have a pretty good rotation of beer on tap and in bottle, food is just ok.)
Hooters (yeah I know...)
Filippi's Pizza Grotto
Hennessey's Taveron

There a bunch of taverons and pubs on the main street of the gaslamp district and if you go east or west on the streets you will find more.

Club:
Double Deuce (They have a mechanical bull, fun to watch people ride it)
Whiskey Girl

Some places I have on my yelp list booked marked but have not been:
Urge American Gastro Pub

I don't know if public transportation will get you there, might have to use a taxi, as opposed to using the train or buses, but Stone actually has a brew house/restaurant in San Diego

Stone World Bistro & Gardens.

We go to San Diego ever year for a little convention that deals in comic books. And since she likes beer also, we try to hit a new spot here and there. Some of the places change their names during the convention based on if someone is using the place and sponsoring an event.

I'll just note that the gastropub "Neighborhood" (8th and G) has an excellent selection of beers. I had a few pints of Russian River Brewing Co. Blind Pig there the other day.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just sampling a new Belgian beer which goes by the name of 'Grand Cru Rodenbach', after which I shall revert to the more familiar (and rich, robust) Trappist beers, which I find I seem to prefer.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My [beer] scores (also had other non-beer supplies):

22+ oz options - they also do mix and match of “non-singles", but these were interesting, and great to split with the wife :) the I&G is a limited edition that was boxed :cool:

What was the Innis & Gunn like, and what specific limited edition is it (I cannot read the writing on the label)? That is a range I like a lot, but have had difficulty laying hands on some of the limited editions.

A local liquor store I hadn’t been to in a while, expanded their already pretty decent selection - now it’s fantastic. This is like 15 minutes away vs. the other place I’ve been buying from that’s like 45+

They have 8-10 “doors” in the main cooler, a small row in front of that, two racks near the cellar, which is a nice, big walk in chiller (I needed a coat, I was in there for like an hour :D )

Now, that is what I call a proper beer section of a shop; very nice indeed, and I'm sure you really enjoy browsing there.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I was going to post in the espresso thread, I noted your absence, wanted to make sure you were OK! Hopefully you were on an adventure of some sort :D

What was the Innis & Gunn like, and what specific limited edition is it (I cannot read the writing on the label)? That is a range I like a lot, but have had difficulty laying hands on some of the limited editions.

You know, we haven’t tried it yet :) The other two were fabulous.

Here’s the I&G product:

http://innisandgunn.com/keep-discovering/blog/innis-gunn-bourbon-stout

This Innis & Gunn Red Stout has been brewed using rye crystal malt to give it its deep mahogany colour. The Whitbread Golding hops complement the sweet biscuity malt with a soft hop bitterness. We then matured this new brew for days over Bourbon-infused oak which gives it its mellow vanilla flavour and a nice warming Bourbon kick.

Red stouts are unusual these days but are produced in a similar way to darker stouts, only the malts are roasted more lightly which gives the final brew a lighter, fruitier character and of course a signature red color.

Now, that is what I call a proper beer section of a shop; very nice indeed, and I'm sure you really enjoy browsing there.

I did! I dropped off the girls at a Girlscout [Halloween] event, and planned on spending about 30 minutes perusing the beer, and about 1-1/2 hours at a bookstore doing a little work (took my Mac), but I wound up spending about 30 minutes at the bookstore :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I was going to post in the espresso thread, I noted your absence, wanted to make sure you were OK! Hopefully you were on an adventure of some sort :D

You know, we haven’t tried it yet :) The other two were fabulous.

Here’s the I&G product:

http://innisandgunn.com/keep-discovering/blog/innis-gunn-bourbon-stout

I did! I dropped off the girls at a Girlscout [Halloween] event, and planned on spending about 30 minutes perusing the beer, and about 1-1/2 hours at a bookstore doing a little work (took my Mac), but I wound up spending about 30 minutes at the bookstore :D

Yes, I was fine, thank you kindly for asking, and yes, I was indeed, most certainly 'on an adventure' in the Balkans, Bosnia, drinking coffee, thinking about history and observing elections……

Thank you for the link describing the Innis & Gunn limited special edition beer; it seems that this will make an appearance in the 'special Christmas box' (a few of which I managed to lay hands on two years ago - the exact contents differ from year to year); I look forward to your tasting notes when you finally drink the beer.

But your craft beer emporium, now, that does impress me………a very nice, appealing, attractive, well stocked spot. Indeed, I can well imagine spending an enjoyable half and hour or more - and I, too, am a lover of good and welcoming bookshops…….

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Three floyds finally bottled their previously tap only beer ' blot out the sun'. It's an imperial stout that i like better than dark lord. I have a bottle of A barrel aged version but glad to see the regular. Very pleased how it poured from the bottle.

View attachment 506382

You lucky SOB.... I have been trying to get my hands on a bottle of Dark Lord ever since I read about. I always thought it as a fabled beer, didn't really exist. It was talked about by those mythical folks from the midwest! And yet here is a picture of it actually existing. Color me jealous!

I have yet to find any of their beer in sunny california. Heck they won't even ship it out here. Grrrrrrrrr.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Nice!!!!!!!!!!

I also hit up the Stone Brewing Tap Room near the baseball stadium. Excellent pints. My favorite was the pale ale brewed with El Dorado hops, but I also had a special (and very strong, 13% ABV) stout with a somewhat silly name: Woot Stout 2.0. In spite of the name is was delicious.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I also hit up the Stone Brewing Tap Room near the baseball stadium. Excellent pints. My favorite was the pale ale brewed with El Dorado hops, but I also had a special (and very strong, 13% ABV) stout with a somewhat silly name: Woot Stout 2.0. In spite of the name is was delicious.

Woot Stout is Will Wheatons colab beer with Stone. Tell me it isn't good! I was able to attend the uncorking party!!! Picked myself up two bottles. I was able to have it on cask!!! God it is good!!!!!!!

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Woot Stout is Will Wheatons colab beer with Stone. Tell me it isn't good! I was able to attend the uncorking party!!! Picked myself up two bottles. I was able to have it on cask!!! God it is good!!!!!!!

Spectacular, and I'm not much of a stout drinker. :D And yeah, I noticed Wesley Crusher Will Wheaton mentioned!

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Wine and Beer Enthusiasts

You lucky SOB.... I have been trying to get my hands on a bottle of Dark Lord ever since I read about. I always thought it as a fabled beer, didn't really exist. It was talked about by those mythical folks from the midwest! And yet here is a picture of it actually existing. Color me jealous!

I have yet to find any of their beer in sunny california. Heck they won't even ship it out here. Grrrrrrrrr.

That's actually blot out the sun. Dark lord does exist though. I do have a 5 year vertical of dark lord going. It's a good beer. But there are better. The hype and exclusivity outweigh the taste. The vanilla bean bourbon barrel one however might of been the best beer I have ever had. I won the scratch off at dark lord day to be able to buy one.

I'm going to Vegas to see phish on Halloween and I am bringing my only other barrel aged dark lord. It's done in moscatel barrels. It's gonna be super sweet since dark lord is naturally sweet.

Good luck tracking one down. I would suggest early May to try finding a trade. There's 20,000 bottles floating around then. And if you can get Russian river a trade should be pretty easy.

----------

I was down in New Orleans this week. Tried a lot of different abita beers that I haven't seen around me. None were must haves. But all were solid offerings.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have to say that I am really impressed firstly, at the emergence of the whole artisan craft and microbrewery scene over the past decade, and secondly, at the wonderful beers which fellow MR members here have been willing to recommend and post comments about.

Must say that I have learned a lot, (and sampled quite a few wonderful new discoveries, too!) Very enjoyable thread.

Cancelled
May 21, 2014
The god potion. Any soulmates who love this?

Attachments

• Duvel_Tripel_Hop_9002.jpg
    Duvel_Tripel_Hop_9002.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 117

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The god potion. Any soulmates who love this?

Ah, that looks wonderful; no, I have not had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of that particular Duvel - though I'll not pass it up, should an opportunity to do so arise…….

Meanwhile, any thoughts, or tasting notes which you can offer will be most gratefully read……..and salivated over…..

I have not had the pleasure of that Duvel,

But I can recommend this

What a handsome beer. Does this delightful looking beverage match the divine standards of the wonderful Trappist beers you wrote about earlier in this thread (several of which I have sampled since then)?

Cancelled
May 21, 2014
Ah, that looks wonderful; no, I have not had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of that particular Duvel - though I'll not pass it up, should an opportunity to do so arise…….
Smell brings pears, lemons, honey and herbs into mind... Fruity, hoppy taste with a light herby zing to it. Rich texture, medium carbonation.

Last edited:

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
What a handsome beer. Does this delightful looking beverage match the divine standards of the wonderful Trappist beers you wrote about earlier in this thread (several of which I have sampled since then)?

It's a wonderful taste of Hoppy goodness it's got quite a dry taste, and is ideal for long summer evenings with a meal, as it taste doesn't over take the taste of the food, it complements it. Great with Cheese tables.

My wife likes the rouge. Never seen that one before.

It's new it only was on general sale here this year. Sales have been reasonable so it should be around for some time.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Smell brings pears, lemons, honey and herbs into mind... Fruity, hoppy taste with a light herby zing to it. Rich texture, medium carbonation.

Why, thank you.

What a wonderful review; it makes me want to source it and try it. Indeed, I must note it in my 'Best of Beer' page to track down……..

It's a wonderful taste of Hoppy goodness it's got quite a dry taste, and is ideal for long summer evenings with a meal, as it taste doesn't over take the taste of the food, it complements it. Great with Cheese tables.

It's new it only was on general sale here this year. Sales have been reasonable so it should be around for some time.

How simply wonderful.

Actually, in a tasting note for beer, any sentence which reads 'great with cheese tables' has me won over immediately, instantly, and permanently. Anything (wine or beer) that is 'greta with cheese tables' is assured of a warm, and lasting welcome from me…..

I must make a point of tracking this one down, too, and trying it out (with the inevitable cheese board….)

I really shouldn't visit this thread during work hours. ;)

Heh, heh.

Yes, I know precisely what you mean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.