Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Vanilla bourbon county stout was one of the best beers I have ever had. I'm glad they are bringing it back this year although it is slightly altered.

Dark lord aged in bourbon barrels with vanilla bean probably IS the best beer I have ever had. So good.

Perhaps I just like vanilla.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I've always been a bit weary of flavored dark beers, but perhaps I'll take your recommendation on this one. Hmmmm, come to think of it I'll be in San Diego soon...

Trust me on this one. If you like the regular stone porter, you will like this one. The flavor is by no means overpowering and it is very very subtle!! To me it is that good.

If you like stone beer you will like this.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Trust me on this one. If you like the regular stone porter, you will like this one. The flavor is by no means overpowering and it is very very subtle!! To me it is that good.

If you like stone beer you will like this.

Okay okay, I'll try it!

Not that I really need that much convincing. ;)

I don't suppose you know the San Diego area and could recommend places downtown (or accessible via public transit from downtown) with good beer selections?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Okay okay, I'll try it!

Not that I really need that much convincing. ;)

I don't suppose you know the San Diego area and could recommend places downtown (or accessible via public transit from downtown) with good beer selections?

I like the following places, mainly in the gas lamp district:

Bubs at the Ball Park
The Local Eatery & Drinking Hole
Triple Crown Pub
Tilted Kilt (They have a pretty good rotation of beer on tap and in bottle, food is just ok.)
Hooters (yeah I know...)
Filippi's Pizza Grotto
Hennessey's Taveron

There a bunch of taverons and pubs on the main street of the gaslamp district and if you go east or west on the streets you will find more.

Club:
Double Deuce (They have a mechanical bull, fun to watch people ride it)
Whiskey Girl

Some places I have on my yelp list booked marked but have not been:
Urge American Gastro Pub

I don't know if public transportation will get you there, might have to use a taxi, as opposed to using the train or buses, but Stone actually has a brew house/restaurant in San Diego

Stone World Bistro & Gardens.

We go to San Diego ever year for a little convention that deals in comic books. And since she likes beer also, we try to hit a new spot here and there. Some of the places change their names during the convention based on if someone is using the place and sponsoring an event.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I like the following places, mainly in the gas lamp district:

Bubs at the Ball Park
The Local Eatery & Drinking Hole
Triple Crown Pub
Tilted Kilt (They have a pretty good rotation of beer on tap and in bottle, food is just ok.)
Hooters (yeah I know...)
Filippi's Pizza Grotto
Hennessey's Taveron

There a bunch of taverons and pubs on the main street of the gaslamp district and if you go east or west on the streets you will find more.

Club:
Double Deuce (They have a mechanical bull, fun to watch people ride it)
Whiskey Girl

Some places I have on my yelp list booked marked but have not been:
Urge American Gastro Pub

I don't know if public transportation will get you there, might have to use a taxi, as opposed to using the train or buses, but Stone actually has a brew house/restaurant in San Diego

Stone World Bistro & Gardens.

We go to San Diego ever year for a little convention that deals in comic books. And since she likes beer also, we try to hit a new spot here and there. Some of the places change their names during the convention based on if someone is using the place and sponsoring an event.

Cheers, that ought to come in handy in a few weeks!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Once again into beer Nirvana at the ABC :D

Unibroue - Maudite Belgian Strong Dark Ale
Founders Brewery - Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale
Brouwerij Van Steenberge - Gulden Draak Dark Triple
Left Hand Brewing - Milk Stout Nitro
Samuel Smith - Organic Chocolate Stout
Weyerbacher - Imperial Pumpkin Ale

(The amazing-best-pumpkin-beer-ever Weybach Pumkpin Ale is a repeat from last week !)

Crazy selection, amazing BA scores in the mid/upper BA %, chilling now :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_6376.JPG
    IMG_6376.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 150

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Once again into beer Nirvana at the ABC :D

Unibroue - Maudite Belgian Strong Dark Ale
Founders Brewery - Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale
Brouwerij Van Steenberge - Gulden Draak Dark Triple
Left Hand Brewing - Milk Stout Nitro
Samuel Smith - Organic Chocolate Stout
Weyerbacher - Imperial Pumpkin Ale

(The amazing-best-pumpkin-beer-ever Weybach Pumkpin Ale is a repeat from last week !)

Crazy selection, amazing BA scores in the mid/upper BA %, chilling now :cool:

Love me some Gulden Draak...... I really like Unibroue "end of the world" beer. I have not had this one yet.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Just to give you all the difference in price between domestic beer prices and imported prices.

I just wonder if it’s the same in the USA.

Local supermarket.

Stones Anchor IPA 35,5ml €2,59

Gulden Draak Triple 33ml €1,06

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Just to give you all the difference in price between domestic beer prices and imported prices.

Local supermarket.

I think for the US, at least in the area where I live, a lot depends on where you get the beer.

Total wine for example:

Stones Anchor IPA 6 pack: $7.99
http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product/anchor-ipa/137870126

Gulden Draak (granted it comes with a glass): $29.99
http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product/gulden-draak-6pk-w-glass/133307817

But if you were to go to your local liquor store, those prices would most likely be a little to a lot higher.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Local supermarket.

I was showing the wife your reply to my previous pics about the Gulden, etc. while we were shopping ... I said, “I bet my beer buddy from overseas doesn’t pay this much for Gulden” :D

Gulden Draak (granted it comes with a glass): $29.99
But if you were to go to your local liquor store, those prices would most likely be a little to a lot higher.

Our ABCs have pretty outstanding prices. The 4-pack of Gulden was “only” $17.99, and we get like 10-15% off on make-your-own-6-packs (I believe they were ~$5/ea singles). I don’t know if I mentioned it, but ABC let’s you bust up 4/6-packs and buy singles which is very cool, you can get a nice sampler, then go back and buy a full pack. :cool:

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

Local supermarket.

I really hope you meant 33cl! Otherwise that is some extremely expensive beer. ;)

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I really hope you meant 33cl! Otherwise that is some extremely expensive beer. ;)
Yes you are correct
IMG_1040_zps89692478.jpg

Sent original message with iPhone, not good with touch screen:eek:

----------

I was showing the wife your reply to my previous pics about the Gulden, etc. while we were shopping ... I said, “I bet my beer buddy from overseas doesn’t pay this much for Gulden” :D

Actually It's 10 cents cheaper because you have a refund bottle.:D

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008

Our ABCs have pretty outstanding prices. The 4-pack of Gulden was “only” $17.99, and we get like 10-15% off on make-your-own-6-packs (I believe they were ~$5/ea singles). I don’t know if I mentioned it, but ABC let’s you bust up 4/6-packs and buy singles which is very cool, you can get a nice sampler, then go back and buy a full pack. :cool:

There are a couple of places that do that around here also. It is cool, and like you said, if you like it you can go back and get a full six pack etc of it! :D

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
There something about imports, Belgians in particular, that's doesn't sit well with my stomach. I think it has to be the yeast. Even the highly touted westy 12 wasn't for me. Hopefully I acquire a taste. People seem to love them and I just can't do it.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
There something about imports, Belgians in particular, that's doesn't sit well with my stomach. I think it has to be the yeast. Even the highly touted westy 12 wasn't for me. Hopefully I acquire a taste. People seem to love them and I just can't do it.

I don’t want to sound like I’m trying to be superior, but I have maybe a tip or two for drinking Belgium beers.
I will say it although I expect you already do it, make sure your glasses are absolutely clean, make sure your beer is served at the recommended temperature.

First off always drink Belgium beers after they have stood for a while, most high yeast beers don’t travel very well. I normally leave my own stock 4 to 6 months before I serve and drink.

Second when you do pour the beer, try to pour in one continuous motion slowly, and just before the last drop, as that liquid enters the bulge in the neck, stop. If you have done it right there should be a very small amount of liquid in the bottom of the bottle, just covering the soul of the bottle.

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
I don’t want to sound like I’m trying to be superior, but I have maybe a tip or two for drinking Belgium beers.

I will say it although I expect you already do it, make sure your glasses are absolutely clean, make sure your beer is served at the recommended temperature.

First off always drink Belgium beers after they have stood for a while, most high yeast beers don’t travel very well. I normally leave my own stock 4 to 6 months before I serve and drink.

Second when you do pour the beer, try to pour in one continuous motion slowly, and just before the last drop, as that liquid enters the bulge in the neck, stop. If you have done it right there should be a very small amount of liquid in the bottom of the bottle, just covering the soul of the bottle.

Im always up for suggestions. I don't know if I have ever had one sit that long. So I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the tip.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Chilkoot Lager from Yukon Brewing Company, Canada is excellent! :)

View attachment 504903

:D

Anytime I drink a canadian beer, I don't know why, but it throws me into canadian mode....lol Quotes and Flash backs from "Strange Brew" always seem to appear also.

The only Canadian beer that I know is Labatt, I remember the small spike in sales here of Labatt beer when Pamela Anderson was shown wearing a tee shirt.:p
This would have been around 1990.
zJ_QNL8MIkyhU_AK5VQqVw2_zps2c802e9b.jpg

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Three floyds finally bottled their previously tap only beer ' blot out the sun'. It's an imperial stout that i like better than dark lord. I have a bottle of A barrel aged version but glad to see the regular. Very pleased how it poured from the bottle.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413748289.549387.jpg

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
A local liquor store I hadn’t been to in a while, expanded their already pretty decent selection - now it’s fantastic. This is like 15 minutes away vs. the other place I’ve been buying from that’s like 45+

They have 8-10 “doors” in the main cooler, a small row in front of that, two racks near the cellar, which is a nice, big walk in chiller (I needed a coat, I was in there for like an hour :D )

Attachments

• IMG_6402.jpg
    IMG_6402.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_6404.jpg
    IMG_6404.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 129

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
My [beer] scores (also had other non-beer supplies):

22+ oz options - they also do mix and match of “non-singles", but these were interesting, and great to split with the wife :) the I&G is a limited edition that was boxed :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_6409_cropped.jpg
    IMG_6409_cropped.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 141
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.