Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I think Apple got enough problem with the new Ipad series not selling so they work harder to save the tablet market more than trying to draw kids to buy new Ipod touch.

If you feel 16GB is enough then it is obviously a better deal to get the 1st mini. However, i believe they would take it out of the store early 2015.

5 Ipad models are way too much.

Apple should have released a 5.5" iPod touch and marketed it as an ipad nano. Thing would have sold like hot cakes. Just sayin.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I hope you're right and I hope it's not a pig. Am I the only one that wishes the iPod Nano ran iOS?

I'm excited for this. pretty sure that the Touch 5 and the iPad Mini 1 will get iOS 9, meaning there is a chance that the iPad 2 will get one more upgrade :D:D:apple::apple:

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
I'm excited for this. pretty sure that the Touch 5 and the iPad Mini 1 will get iOS 9, meaning there is a chance that the iPad 2 will get one more upgrade :D:D:apple::apple:

god we have to upload so many icons and splash screens.

they really need to drop non-retina devices

headsh0t95

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Netherlands

Stop being lazy and complaining about too many icons / splash screens and RAM. Become a pro dev and know the drill of developing for iOS and its consequences

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

NOO!!!

With 29% of the installed base on the iPad 2 and 20% on the iPad Mini 1, thats half the iPad installed base on Non Retina devices. They're not being dropped in the immediate future.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
As much as I loved my ipod touch 5th gen, I will be selling it and getting a Moto G $179 and using it over WiFi. Sad to see Apple not update the ipod touch.

I have a spare Moto G, and god it's an awful device, why would you want it? Just cause it's cheap?

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Now why would Apple announce a new iPod touch at an event not geared towards the iPod or music? This was the wrong event people. Wait for a more music based event for a new iPod touch.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Now why would Apple announce a new iPod touch at an event not geared towards the iPod or music? This was the wrong event people. Wait for a more music based event for a new iPod touch.

Will there even be a music event this year...? Tim had just announced that the iPad event was the last event closing out the year...

rotation

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I thought the touch was basically the iOS device you got for kids who can't be trusted not to break the thing?

But we have the iPad mini for that now

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA
I didn't think I'd be able to deal with Apple not announcing a new IPT this year, but I'm fine not having one. I totally understand their reasoning behind this decision and I wouldn't be surprised if the next update is marginal at best. The IPT still sells for Apple, however, they have products that sell better. From a business standpoint, this is a smart move. Who knows, they may move this product update to a three year updating cycle like they do with other products (Mac Mini... Etc.).

At first I was a bit miffed like most of the ppl in this forum, especially since the IPT is my new toy I buy for myself for Christmas. But now, I'm going to treat myself to the new Nexus 9 tablet instead. If they do a significant update to the IPT next year, we'll see. But, I'm ok moving on... If I'm forced to do so.

J

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I didn't think I'd be able to deal with Apple not announcing a new IPT this year, but I'm fine not having one. I totally understand their reasoning behind this decision and I wouldn't be surprised if the next update is marginal at best. The IPT still sells for Apple, however, they have products that sell better. From a business standpoint, this is a smart move. Who knows, they may move this product update to a three year updating cycle like they do with other products (Mac Mini... Etc.).

At first I was a bit miffed like most of the ppl in this forum, especially since the IPT is my new toy I buy for myself for Christmas. But now, I'm going to treat myself to the new Nexus 9 tablet instead. If they do a significant update to the IPT next year, we'll see. But, I'm ok moving on... If I'm forced to do so.

J

My priority was an iPad Mini 3 or a Touch 6 if it had a bigger screen but I ended up getting a refurb AT&T 64GB iPad Mini 2. I wasn't upset about the Touch 6 since my Touch 5 works fine but, I was bummed I had to go through the refurb store since a new iPad Mini 2 now only comes with 16/32GB. Pricewise though, it was a great deal. Enjoy your Nexus 9.

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA
My priority was an iPad Mini 3 or a Touch 6 if it had a bigger screen but I ended up getting a refurb AT&T 64GB iPad Mini 2. I wasn't upset about the Touch 6 since my Touch 5 works fine but, I was bummed I had to go through the refurb store since a new iPad Mini 2 now only comes with 16/32GB. Pricewise though, it was a great deal. Enjoy your Nexus 9.

Thanks Plutonius! Trust me, if the IPT was updated this year, I'd be sticking with the Apple camp. Can't even imagine using a different music store than iTunes but I guess I don't have much of a choice. Good luck with everyone waiting for an update. I don't think the IPT is dead yet, but you may have to wait until next year (around this time) for the next update.

J

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I've just bought a mini 2. I had been holding out for the mini 3 but it wasn't enough of an upgrade so I went for the mini 2.

headsh0t95

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Netherlands
I have a spare Moto G, and god it's an awful device, why would you want it? Just cause it's cheap?

What's awful about it?
Screen is good compared to other low-end smartphones, speed is very decent, no bloatware (sorry sam***g), latest Android with 5.0 upgrade coming in november
The only thing I can imagine is the camera. That's not really a great one IMO.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
What's awful about it?
Screen is good compared to other low-end smartphones, speed is very decent, no bloatware (sorry sam***g), latest Android with 5.0 upgrade coming in november
The only thing I can imagine is the camera. That's not really a great one IMO.

It's a competent budget phone - I still use mine sometimes - but nowhere near the level of better specced Android devices. You get what you pay for.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Well if the iPT has truly come to an end, which I highly doubt as it would just be plain weird in a world of iPods to no longer have anything called an iPod, then I'm going to be snapping them up when they go on sale and sell them at triple the price on eBay etc. Just like they do with the iPod Nano 6th gen or the Apple TV 2nd gen.

But seriously, if the iPod as we know it has come to an end then I would buy a couple of 64gb iPT's for myself.
But you never know, if Apple does discontinue iPods then perhaps the price of iPhones will drop considerably, perhaps they'll halve in price. One could only hope. I mean if Apple are purely focusing on the iPhone in the realm of music playing devices then they're going to have to look at reducing the cost. Otherwise they're going to end up losing a lot of iTunes customers. The App Store will be impacted too. App sales will plummet.

$1000 for a 64gb iPhone 6 - no thank you! :(
$340 for a 64gb iPod Touch - yes please! :)

And another way to look at it is that if you spend less on the iDevice then you have more money to spend in iTunes and the App Store, or you could use it to buy an iPad Air or Mini 2. :) :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.