Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nafizur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Hi guys,

I need your help deciding if I should buy the iPad air 2. I currently have iPad 4th gen cellular 32gb. I got it for $379 in April at a clearance price from Rogers. Now, I only use my iPad to surf really and share it with my wife. She also uses it to surf the net and browse through her Pinterest. I don't have a separate sim for the iPad becuse it's always at home. And if I ever do take it out (rarely) I tether with my iPhone. We don't take pictures or play any games on it. We don't use photsostrema or anything. I have a guy who's eilling to buy it for $400. Is it worth me selling it and paying $220 extra to get the iPad air 2? All I'd be getting is Touch ID really. I already have a six plus. The only thing I would benefit from is preparing myself for iOS 9. I'm pretty sure when that gets release, my current iPad will fall in performance. So I'm not sure if it's worth spending the money just to get the "latest" iPad or should I wait it out till next year since all I ever use the iPad for is to surf the net.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
If you have the means.

Also you really should go to a store and look at one.

But, no none of us really need these things.

New Apple

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2012
Kristinestad
Hi guys,

I need your help deciding if I should buy the iPad air 2. I currently have iPad 4th gen cellular 32gb. I got it for $379 in April at a clearance price from Rogers. Now, I only use my iPad to surf really and share it with my wife. She also uses it to surf the net and browse through her Pinterest. I don't have a separate sim for the iPad becuse it's always at home. And if I ever do take it out (rarely) I tether with my iPhone. We don't take pictures or play any games on it. We don't use photsostrema or anything. I have a guy who's eilling to buy it for $400. Is it worth me selling it and paying $220 extra to get the iPad air 2? All I'd be getting is Touch ID really. I already have a six plus. The only thing I would benefit from is preparing myself for iOS 9. I'm pretty sure when that gets release, my current iPad will fall in performance. So I'm not sure if it's worth spending the money just to get the "latest" iPad or should I wait it out till next year since all I ever use the iPad for is to surf the net.

it looks like u dont do much with the ipad to do un 'up-waste-grade'

save your money, my 3rd gen ipad still runs nicely.
there might be times when you cannot afford a new ipad.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Hmmm since $600 next year isnt equal to $300 this year when you factor in time value of money and you have an offer on the table, i'd probably take it. There is no guarantee iPad 4 will be sellable next year. Secondly you could use it to buy an iPad Air at cost and its just a wash in terms of how much cash you need to put out.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Good deal does not come very often. I'd say take a stab at that deal and sell your iPad 4. Then get the new Air 2 and continue with your daily surfing activity. If you really only use for surfing and others basic activities, you don't need to wait for next year's iPad.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What does the iPad Air 2 do that your iPad 4 doesn't? Depending on your answer, are you willing to buy a new iPad for that new functionality.

nafizur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
the main reason would be to be future proof for Ios9. I hate it when a device is slow and lags. I know for sure when ios9 hits, it will be slow on the ipad 4. And given the new one has 2gb ram, i'm sure it will be good for at least 3-4 years.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
the main reason would be to be future proof for Ios9. I hate it when a device is slow and lags. I know for sure when ios9 hits, it will be slow on the ipad 4. And given the new one has 2gb ram, i'm sure it will be good for at least 3-4 years.

I wouldn't say you know for sure that anything will lag on your iPad 4. You can't predict that. I feel the 4 is a very solid device and still quite current. My wife's is cranking right along with the latest iOS updates.

Your use case does NOT support buying the Air 2, IMO.

Techwriter

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010

From this post I think you already know you would like to upgrade and are simply hesitating. The entire point of an iPad is the user experience. Sooner or later, the iPad 4 will begin to lag. Even though you're an occasional iPad user, your enjoyment in the device will suffer and you'll find yourself reaching it for it less often. As others have said, if you have the disposable income and an eager buy for your iPad 4, do it.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
If you want the iPad Air 2, and can find a way to afford it, then get it. If you don't want it and/or can't afford it, don't get it. There will always be a better, newer model next year.

This goes for anybody.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

So just get the iPad Air 3 (or whatever it ends up being called) when iOS 9 drops next year. It makes no sense to spend money this year on something that you aren't going to need until next year.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Hmmm since $600 next year isnt equal to $300 this year when you factor in time value of money and you have an offer on the table, i'd probably take it. There is no guarantee iPad 4 will be sellable next year. Secondly you could use it to buy an iPad Air at cost and its just a wash in terms of how much cash you need to put out.

Ditto this! If I could get $400 for the 4 cellular, I'd sell it in a heartbeat and pick up, at a minimum, a wifi only Air (since you say you don't use the cellular). You can get a refurbished Air from Apple (with 1 year warranty) for $389 (32GB) or $439 (64GB). Newer, lighter, faster than the 4 for essentially an even swap!

nafizur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
It has been done guys. I sold the iPad 4 for $400 and placed the order for the wifi gold air 2. Should arrive by 24-28th.

Last edited:

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Good deal! I also have an iPad 4. I thought about selling it but my kids are going to get it instead. $400.00 is a good deal and it didn't cost you much more to upgrade. You'll be getting more than just Touch ID. From what I've read, it's a lot faster than last year's iPad so the speed difference when compared to an iPad 4 should be like going from a Honda Accord to a Ferrari.

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
It has been done guys. I sold the iPad 4 for $400 and placed the order for the wifi gold air 2. Should arrive by 24-28th.

You might want to remove your address from that screenshot, don't want anyone trying to intercept it as they know the address, recipient and estimated delivery date!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.