Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Well I hope Game 1 is not an indication on what we will see with this series. Yikes re: the final score...

I hope it's a sweep but that's me in the minority. The little clips during the WS makes this look KC centric. America is getting behind them and now that they are down a key game 1 (nearly 2/3rds of WS winners get game 1), it's going to be a come from behind thing after a big 7-1 loss.

This was regular Mad Bum, but now there's no Lincecum (no hitter this year), Cain (Giants only perfect game), or Zito (longest Giants starter winning streak) to rely on so I don't expect lights out Giant pitching outside of Bumgarner. KC certainly has a chance to catch up with their amazing batters.

The only good thing about WS stress is that I don't hate KC and I didn't hate Texas or Detroit. With KC, they are like a pre-2004/2005 Red Sox and White Sox with a long period of not having won so you never feel bad when they win after a long time in the cold. I rooted for Texas when Giants or As weren't in the big series and they were a talent I felt were going to sew it up for that year. And it's been a long time for Detroit, too. Without Googling I don't recall if Texas ever won the WS and I couldn't remember a few weeks ago if KC won in all in the 80s or only got the AL pennant.

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Damn, complete domination by Baumgartner and the Giants last night. Hopefully the Royals have a better night in Game 2.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Damn, complete domination by Baumgartner and the Giants last night. Hopefully the Royals have a better night in Game 2.

I totally expect it. Not having Madbum on the mound for SF and being in KC, my guess is that this is when KC will strike. They had that long rest and cobwebs had formed. They will be much better tonight and may even win.

I expect tonight to be dominated by hitting on both sides.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
Well I hope Game 1 is not an indication on what we will see with this series. Yikes re: the final score...

Eh, kind of expected, at least Game 1. The Royals had 5 days to cool off. :( Sad my Cards aren't there, but honestly, I think this could still be a good series. Would love to see a 7 Game series.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Eh, kind of expected, at least Game 1. The Royals had 5 days to cool off. :( Sad my Cards aren't there, but honestly, I think this could still be a good series. Would love to see a 7 Game series.

I agree, I hope it isn't a sweep, unless of course the Royals are doing the sweeping! :D

But I do hope it goes all seven games and the games from here on out are a little closer.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
I hear ya. I was a bit shocked at the score, but expected a Giant's win. Totally agree that I hope the rest of the series, the games are a bit closer, or just have some awesome comeback/feel good wins.

ETA: Hopefully this loss brought the Royals back down to earth/reality, and they dig in in Game 2.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Ventura wasn't really that dominant IMO, but the Royals' big three bullpen guys were as advertised. The Giants' lesser bullpen lights, Machi and Strickland, lost the game. Bochy simply cannot call on either of those two again, which makes the injury to Tim Lincecum kind of a critical blow. Hope he can recover quick!

Can the Giants take Strickland off the roster due to a pulled brain muscle and replace him with George Kontos?

Still a long ways to go yet.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Let's do two things.

First let's win this in five, since sweep is off the table. But then take note of this Ventura guy as a possible person we could steal one day. Part of winning is playing well but unfortunately in the business, which is a business, stealing players is another one.

So far we haven't seen Brian Wilson win a WS with the Dodgers yet but it's a very strong possibility and Giants fans will curse the day we lost him for a long time to come if this happens. Wilson has already seen two postseasons with the Dodgers. I always throw it back at LA fans on this and tell them it's their highly esteemed Dodger Dusty Baker who brought the Giants back to MLB respectability with a winning spirit. Part of who Dusty raised under his wings helped make the 2010 run to glory possible under Bruce Bochy.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Wilson will not be a significant contributor to any future Dodger success. I'm sure they'll be splashing the cash on lots of bullpen help this winter, as their NLDS loss clearly exposed their weakness in this area. Sergio Romo is a free agent to be — hmmmmm. Best to not think about it.

I'd love the World Series win in 5, but it's not going to be that easy. Part of me is uncomfortably reminded of how things went down in the 2002 World Series. Bochy won't mismanage the bullpen like Dusty Baker did, will he? (Well, will he?)

I wouldn't mind "stealing" Lorenzo Cain, while we're at it. L Cain and M Cain.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Wilson will not be a significant contributor to any future Dodger success. I'm sure they'll be splashing the cash on lots of bullpen help this winter, as their NLDS loss clearly exposed their weakness in this area. Sergio Romo is a free agent to be — hmmmmm. Best to not think about it.

I'd love the World Series win in 5, but it's not going to be that easy. Part of me is uncomfortably reminded of how things went down in the 2002 World Series. Bochy won't mismanage the bullpen like Dusty Baker did, will he? (Well, will he?)

I wouldn't mind "stealing" Lorenzo Cain, while we're at it. L Cain and M Cain.

Romo to LA? No way!

We already have the rumors all over the Bay Area that Panda may go to the Red Sox. I guess in this sport you can never get too attached to any one player. Even if they stay on a team forever, their day comes to an end like Ripkin or Jeter.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I think it makes more sense for the Cubs, but the Dodgers has that tie in with Friedman going to the Dodgers.
The Red Sox were kicking the tires on Maddon 9 years ago, and Theo is in charge of the Cubs now. Most likely a deal is already in place otherwise Maddon doesn't opt out now.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'd give my left nut to see the Cardinals fire Matheny and hire Maddon.

Hell, I would be ecstatic if they fired Mathneny and replaced him with a red assed baboon.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
no *****!

;)

----------

KC looks like us with deep bullpen. Those guys are all like starters and short like Lincecum and similar in the way they are lights out. They don't look scary until they start pitching. We have to strike early and get runs before they deploy them in 5th or 6th innings. We can't play the steady and slow game like we did leading up to an sometimes in 2010 and 2012 series.

KC's newly minted star Brandon Finnegan, though new, looked great last night but his sloppiness tonight gave the Giants a two run lead that they only added on to as the night went on.

I don't expect a sloppy performance to be repeated from him though and don't expect KC's Shields to self-destruct either in his next outing tomorrow. It's probably going to be a close and very low scoring game 5 in SF.

The only way I see SF winning this series is if they continue to hit like they did tonight and not have it be an inconsistent thing. Pence, Sandoval, and Posey have to hit like they have in past big games in their career and not one of them can afford to slump in remaining games. If only two of them stay hot, then KC wins this World Series. They are unlike the other two teams we faced in recent years:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/10/21/daily-madden-its-hard-to-dislike-the-royals/

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Breaking News coming through the Twitter.
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...r-accident-in-the-dominican-republic/related/
We regret to bring you some very sad news on on this Sunday night: Cardinals outfielder Oscar Taveras and his girlfriend were killed in a car accident Saturday afternoon in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic. The report is confirmed by Dionisio Soldevila of ESPN Deportes and Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports. Taveras was 22.
Taveras made his major league debut on May 31. He entered the season rated as one of baseball’s top-three prospects and appeared to have a bright future with the Cardinals. The highlight of his career came in Game 2 of the NLCS against the Giants when he hit a pinch-hit solo home run off of Jean Machi.

We send our deepest condolences to the families of Taveras and his girlfriend, the Cardinals organization, and Cardinals fans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.