Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Fortunately I have him and his cohorts (alternate accounts) on ignore. What's funny is there are about 5 users (or 1 user with 5 accounts) who spend most of their time responding to these bend posts and without them the posts would most likely drop off the front page. What I don't think he/they get is that his/their posts do more harm to Apple than the people with bent phones asking questions ever will. My friends all think I'm an "Apple fanboy" because every computer, tablet, phone in my house is an Apple product, but I come here and get attacked as a Samsung shill by the likes of Surf Monkey. Imagine what someone who isn't married to the Apple ecosystem thinks when they read his posts...

I've never accused you or anyone else of being a Samsung shill. Please refrain from making false accusations.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
Not if there was a quality control problem affecting only some batches of iPhones. It's entirely possible that most phones won't bend, while a number of them are defective and will deform.

I find it bizarre that some people refuse to acknowledge this possibility.

Of course it is a possibility. But a high probability? Unlikely.

A defect that is related to an electronic component such as an accelerometer makes more sense that there is a bad batch and would have a higher probability of systemic failures within a batch. But here we are talking about a phone deforming.

But in these threads, people point out that the way the screws were installed may put stress and bend the phone, or that the fundamental design is wrong, or that something something about not having the right frame.

The design flaw of the 4 antenna affected millions.

Besides, if we are talking about a batch of defective aluminum (which people here have), how big is that batch? Given the scale of 10s of millions of production, I would expect a run of cases in a batch may be in the 10s of thousands. Not the hundreds that are alleged.

Occam's Razor.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
To your own admission , you're only telling us that water is wet. So what's the point of your posts? You're cluttering these threads, while we're trying to understand the real problem.

Please stop posting if all you have to contribute is accusations, insults, and stating the obvious. At this point, it is harassment.
When one person complains about you, I could understand how you think something is wrong with that person, but we're at a point where dozen of posters here complaining about your posts. Please go away.

From where I sit it looks more like I'm the one being harassed by the likes of you. I'm sorry you don't like the idea of being asked how your phone got bent, but asking that question doesn't make me a bad guy.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
To your own admission , you're only telling us that water is wet. So what's the point of your posts? You're cluttering these threads, while we're trying to understand the real problem.

Please stop posting if all you have to contribute is accusations, insults, and stating the obvious. At this point, it is harassment.
When one person complains about you, I could understand how you think something is wrong with that person, but we're at a point where dozen of posters here complaining about your posts. Please go away.

He won't stop, he can't he's a child. Just put him on ignore like a lot of us have which btw when he's quoted its not ignored which is annoying.

I'm surprised he hasn't claimed to be the victim here yet unless no one has quoted that post.

sleepyking

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
It seems the answer here is that since phones don't bend on their own, putting them in front pockets daily with minimal crouching or sitting is equal to an abnormal activity that caused the bend.

So there's the answer. Intentional or not, we are guilty of doing something extraordinary to our phones ( those of us who experienced bending). By the way I check my replacement daily for bending and if happens to be bent again in a week, two, etc, then that will be the definitive conclusion that the phone is weak. And yes I still only put it in my front pocket, never sit on it, never bang it

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I don't mind getting a refurb. I've never had problems with refurbs in the past.

After reading this post, I thought to myself, "If this is the kind of attitude this guy has, he'll have a great experience at the Apple Store". And sure enough-

Quick Update. As always, I had a great experience with Apple customer service. And it's one of the reasons why I buy Apple products. They replaced my phone no questions asked. I didn't have to convince them or anything.

Hopefully everyone that has this problem can get their phones replaced.

When you act mature and respect others, people are more likely to help you. I suspect that even though some people simply got a bad Genius, many of the posters on this forum with bent iPhones that were denied a replacement phone were turned down due to their awful attitudes. I say that simply based on the belligerence and disrespect they exhibited to the users here.

You, on the other hand, are a class act. Glad your situation was resolved, I wish you better luck this time around!

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
The phone doesn't bend on its own. Something happens in every one of these cases that causes the bend. That fact doesn't make me an annoying person. By your logic I could just as reasonably argue that everyone here who posts statements like you just did (the phone bends, accept it) are more annoying because they fail to recognize THE critical factor: user interaction with the device. No one is claiming that objects can't be bent. The question is HOW are they being bent? If you can't grasp why this is a critical question that's on you, not me.

You are correct, something is bending the phone and everything bends. Is the iPhone 6 bending more than other iPhones in the past? The iPhone 5/5s takes almost 100% more force to bend, that is a fact. Question is, did APPLE sacrifice the iphone 6/6+ structural forgiveness(strength) for the sake of thinness?

Obviously you do not think so because you would like them to make it even thinner. You do not care about the strength of the device and would even accept the next version to be thinner. Most of the people in the bend threads think that apple might have compromised too much. So why do you keep crapping threads when you do not care for a solution, you just want apple to double down next time.

Would you accept the next iPhone design to bend with 50 lbs of force? What is your personal limit to the minimum force required to bend a phone?

The iPhone 6/6+ are much less forgiving and as time goes by, it will not get better.

Tuttle05

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
I post in the bent phone thread with great hesitation, but I thought this was somewhat fun. A company which makes structural simulation software virtually bent an iPhone 6+ as a demonstration of their software, which can be found here. The point I thought was interesting is they didn't note much difference between aluminum and steel as material options for the case.

Please don't take this as anything but passing amusement, as we don't know how thorough or accurate their model is, or what other assumptions they have made (for instance what reinforcement the guts of the phone might provide).

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
How is it a lie? Feel free to prove otherwise.

Every post I've ever made here that's critical of Apple (and there have been many) proves it. Your comment is only intended to insult.

----------

You are correct, something is bending the phone and everything bends. Is the iPhone 6 bending more than other iPhones in the past? The iPhone 5/5s takes almost 100% more force to bend, that is a fact. Question is, did APPLE sacrifice the iphone 6/6+ structural forgiveness(strength) for the sake of thinness?

Obviously you do not think so because you would like them to make it even thinner. You do not care about the strength of the device and would even accept the next version to be thinner. Most of the people in the bend threads think that apple might have compromised too much. So why do you keep crapping threads when you do not care for a solution, you just want apple to double down next time.

Would you accept the next iPhone design to bend with 50 lbs of force? What is your personal limit to the minimum force required to bend a phone?

The iPhone 6/6+ are much less forgiving and as time goes by, it will not get better.

Why exactly are you attributing all of these opinions that I never expressed to me? I have no doubt in my mind that given the right materials and engineering Apple or any company for that matter could make an even thinner phone with more structural integrity than even the 5 series. I've never said otherwise.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Kind of a strange thing to say. It's your phone. You're the one who owns and interacts with it. If anyone is in a position to engage in informed speculation as to what happened to it, it would be you. Why are you reticent to do so?

Lol normally you are reasonable but this is just ridiculous. OP doesn't know. Unless he takes it out of his case every time he does something with his phone to establish whether it is or is not bent, how would he know? You need to back off, this isn't the Spanish inquisition.

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
Maybe in some phones something inside is making them warp? Maybe a faulty battery that warps itself with heath and the the phone bends with it?

I dunno, just some thoughts.

mailboxbetacoin

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2014
From where I sit it looks more like I'm the one being harassed by the likes of you. I'm sorry you don't like the idea of being asked how your phone got bent, but asking that question doesn't make me a bad guy.

sure monkey, sure... you're the poor baby that just asks how the phone "got bent", not the guy that accused half of the posters (including me) of having an agenda (I am still waiting for you to retract your comments about my agenda btw, or to quote me on it)

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Every post I've ever made here that's critical of Apple (and there have been many) proves it. Your comment is only intended to insult.

----------

Why exactly are you attributing all of these opinions that I never expressed to me? I have no doubt in my mind that given the right materials and engineering Apple or any company for that matter could make an even thinner phone with more structural integrity than even the 5 series. I've never said otherwise.

Should the iPhone 7 be thinner?

your answer

"It should absolutely be thinner"

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1806793/

I agree that Apple can make a phone thinner than the 6 series and stronger than the 5 series, Apple track record has been diminishing strength since the iPhone 4 series. The FACT is the 5 series is almost 100% more resistant to bending than the iPhone 6 (130 lbs vs 70 lbs)

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
Besides, if we are talking about a batch of defective aluminum (which people here have), how big is that batch? Given the scale of 10s of millions of production, I would expect a run of cases in a batch may be in the 10s of thousands. Not the hundreds that are alleged.
Hundreds? That's how many you think have bent so far? There's almost two hundred just on oneofthenine.com. Do you really think that 1) every consumer with a bent phone notices, and 2) they all go directly to macrumors or oneofthenine to complain?

For every complaint that gets publicized somehow, there are probably 100+ more that quietly get replaced under warranty or just ignored.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Should the iPhone 7 be thinner?

your answer

"It should absolutely be thinner"

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1806793/

I agree that Apple can make a phone thinner than the 6 series and stronger than the 5 series, Apple track record has been diminishing strength since the iPhone 4 series. The FACT is the 5 series is almost 100% more resistant to bending than the iPhone 6 (130 lbs vs 70 lbs)

I vote for the ultra thin iPhone 7. Flexible plastic circuits like the carbon traces on the membrane keyboards. Make the back out of colored tarp material, and the screen out of plastic 6 mill plastic visqueen. Then we can wrap it around our wrists if we want, roll it up like a fruit roll up, or sit on it as much as we like with no damage.

The best part, is Apple will be able to sell one design to multiple markets. A true smart watch, that is light, thin, and able to make phone calls.

I vote for the iWrap, come on Apple, I know you can do it. :cool:

----------

Hundreds? That's how many you think have bent so far? There's almost two hundred just on oneofthenine.com. Do you really think that 1) every consumer with a bent phone notices, and 2) they all go directly to macrumors or oneofthenine to complain?

For every complaint that gets publicized somehow, there are probably 100+ more that quietly get replaced under warranty or just ignored.

Shhh.... we don't speak of those... :D

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I vote for the ultra thin iPhone 7. Flexible plastic circuits like the carbon traces on the membrane keyboards. Make the back out of colored tarp material, and the screen out of plastic 6 mill plastic visqueen. Then we can wrap it around our wrists if we want, roll it up like a fruit roll up, or sit on it as much as we like with no damage.

The best part, is Apple will be able to sell one design to multiple markets. A true smart watch, that is light, thin, and able to make phone calls.

I vote for the iWrap, come on Apple, I know you can do it. :cool:

----------

Shhh.... we don't speak of those... :D

Google missed the boat, they could have had Android 2.0 Fruit Roll Up (FRU)

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Google missed the boat, they could have had Android 2.0 Fruit Roll Up (FRU)

Yeah, they should have jumped on that... would have been a good follow up for Ice Cream Sandwich....

Well, they still have a shot... Android 6 "Apple Turnover".... and, Android 7 "Skeleton Key", when Apple releases iOS 9 "Ball and Chain"

----------

Whether or not this was an intentional apple/fruit joke, I lol'd. :)

You're quick :D

Timmeh8604

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2014
If the problem is partially using a hard/soft case combo then I could see the stress of pulling the phone out bending over time. I paid close attention to how I take my case off to clean about once a week, and I did put pressure on it that could, over time, cause bending. Since then, I take the phone out from one side instead of bottom to top. Then I'm not putting as much leverage on the phone. Plus it seems to come out of the case easier that way. Just a thought.

betterthanhalf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
If the problem is partially using a hard/soft case combo then I could see the stress of pulling the phone out bending over time. I paid close attention to how I take my case off to clean about once a week, and I did put pressure on it that could, over time, cause bending. Since then, I take the phone out from one side instead of bottom to top. Then I'm not putting as much leverage on the phone. Plus it seems to come out of the case easier that way. Just a thought.

Not in my case. I put the silicon case on day 1 and only removed it yesterday. I also remove it from the bottom corner because its much easier.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
Hundreds? That's how many you think have bent so far? There's almost two hundred just on oneofthenine.com.

Meh.
Sites that include pictures of phones that were purposely bent in the store doesn't really mean much.

So are you talking about how many were bent, including purposely bent, or bent from normal, everyday usage?

"Probably 100"? Where did you get that from? How do you know it probably isn't 1? or 1000? or 1,000,000? You are just guessing how many more are out there and given that millions and millions of phones are used in "normal usage", if "normal usage" caused a problem, we would see millions of returns - even if only 20% of people even noticed after all the PR about this in the first weeks of launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.