Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepyking

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Dang Monkey you really are in all the bend threads just to try to find out a conclusive and definitive reason as to how the phones are bending.

In all honesty as someone pointed out, it is nearly impossible to answer how it was bent if the user did not do anything out of the norm other than daily front pocket use. Much like mine, I cannot tell you if it was bent right out the box, or if it occurred within that week. Seeing as to more and more are experiencing this with the same use I had, I think it's really a certain batch that is somewhat defective and weak. Phones cannot and should not bend period. And if they do, it doesn't have to mean that the user MUST have done something extreme enough to cause the bend. It can really be as simple as the phone is weak and bent under minimal circumstances as sitting up and down while having it in the front pocket for 5 days.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Whether or not it's true, your posts make you look like you have that agenda. The fact that people react negatively to your constantly aggressive defense of Apple should be a hint.

Not really. It just shows that people are highly defensive. Of everyone here I'm far from the most vocal questioner of these bend cases.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
Bent iPhone 4/4s were rare I have never seen one in person the bent 5/5s were much more common. What was apple repose to the 5/5S bending? lets make it even weaker, the 5/5s is almost 100% less resistant to bending (70 lbs vs 130lbs).

People are bending these phone, nothing will bend by itself. One would expect with Apples "it just works philosophy" people would not have to worry about pant pockets. If I had an iPhone 6, I can tell you it would not bend! I would put the most rigid case available.

Bendgate is no about phones bending but rather what "normal use" is.

Good point regarding Apple's "it just works philosophy". Apple should have determined the reasonable maximum force a phone of "x" length would encounter in the variety of locations the iPhone would be carried in and designed the 6/6+ to meet that force level. If they had designed the phone to endure ~ 130 lb force (using Consumer Magazine's test rig) bendgate would not exists.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Not really. It just shows that people are highly defensive. Of everyone here I'm far from the most vocal questioner of these bend cases.

Many of your past posts on this issue (here and in other threads) have been accusatory or unreasonable in tone. People will, and have, reacted badly to that, even if this is not your intent. Saying that this is other peoples' problem is not realistic.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Many of your past posts on this issue (here and in other threads) have been accusatory or unreasonable in tone. People will, and have, reacted badly to that, even if this is not your intent. Saying that this is other peoples' problem is not realistic.

Not at all. Quite the opposite, actually. All I've done is pointed out the obvious: things don't bend on their own. I've simply asked what the owner did that caused the bend. That you and others read that as an accusation is on you, not me. Because it isn't an accusation. It's a reasonable question. One that I (and others) would like to know the answer to so that we can get to the bottom of the issue. If I were to use the tactics of those replying to my posts I might start accusing you of trying to obfuscate the facts by trying to suppress any reasonable attempt to examine these cases critically, but I'm not about to do that because unlike many people here my first reaction to every post isn't emotional.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Not at all. Quite the opposite, actually. All I've done is pointed out the obvious: things don't bend on their own. I've simply asked what the owner did that caused the bend.

The question in of itself presumes that it's the owner's fault. That's why people interpret your statements as accusatory.

I don't own an iPhone 6, or Apple stock, or anything Apple other than my iPhone 5, so I think I'm pretty objective on this subject.

wermy

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
The question in of itself presumes that it's the owner's fault. That's why people interpret your statements as accusatory.

I don't own an iPhone 6, or Apple stock, or anything Apple other than my iPhone 5, so I think I'm pretty objective on this subject.

Exactly. Asking "What did you do?" rather than "Do you know what caused it?" strongly (and intentionally, in my opinion) implies the user did something abnormal with the phone and is therefore at fault. More than enough people have come forward saying they did nothing but carry it in their front pocket, and I don't care what anyone says, that is not abnormal.

Edit: clarity

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
I didn't think it would happen...signs of bending

Because it isn't an accusation. It's a reasonable question. One that I (and others) would like to know the answer to

I think it's more reasonable to ask: "are you aware of any reason the phone might have bent?"

That is a question that doesn't imply fault of the owner. Some people said they think overly tight cases might have been a contributing factor.

That being said, only engineers at Apple who have access to all the data and returned phones are going to be able to find out what is really happening. I don't think we'll find answers on Macrumors forum, because we don't have the data, devices, and instruments with which to draw a reasonable scientific conclusion.

sleepyking

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012

I own stock and even I admit there's something wrong with these phones, at least a batch of them. Hate it but it's true, it's happened, and it's not all due to a user doing something extraordinary to it

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I think it's more reasonable to ask: "are you aware of any reason the phone might have bent?"

That is a question that doesn't imply fault of the owner. Some people said they think overly tight cases might have been a contributing factor.

That being said, only engineers at Apple who have access to all the data and returned phones are going to be able to find out what is really happening. I don't think we'll find answers on Macrumors forum, because we don't have the data, devices, and instruments with which to draw a reasonable scientific conclusion.

Taking issue with the exact way I framed my question is one thing. Using your preconceptions as a springboard to assassinate my character is quite another. I'm pleased to see that you've backed away from character assassination.

bendmygate

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
I don't think it's possible to know what the real numbers are at this point, although I understand some peoples need to defend their fruit master at all costs to objectivity. What I do know is that I've NEVER heard of this happening to another phone.

Well first, no other phone has the market saturation of the iPhone, so statistically EVERYTHING that it does it should do far more than any other phone.

Second, didn't Consumer Reports conclude that the HTC One bent easier?

Third, what phone cannot be bent? I would like to see it so I could bend it and disprove it.

Finally, the iPhone is, and always will be, held to a higher standard by it's users because they are inherently picky. Look at all the posts about screen warmth, and scuffs, and whatnot.

The amount of petty "problems" the iPhone has is already off the charts in comparisons to other phones. "bendgate" is just another example of this. It's literally a fraction of a fraction of the millions of users. Even the site dedicated to the "problem" has less than 200 documented cases.

Out of millions of phones? Problem? Notsomuch

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Well first, no other phone has the market saturation of the iPhone, so statistically EVERYTHING that it does it should do far more than any other phone.

Second, didn't Consumer Reports conclude that the HTC One bent easier?

Third, what phone cannot be bent? I would like to see it so I could bend it and disprove it.

Finally, the iPhone is, and always will be, held to a higher standard by it's users because they are inherently picky. Look at all the posts about screen warmth, and scuffs, and whatnot.

The amount of petty "problems" the iPhone has is already off the charts in comparisons to other phones. "bendgate" is just another example of this. It's literally a fraction of a fraction of the millions of users. Even the site dedicated to the "problem" has less than 200 documented cases.

Out of millions of phones? Problem? Notsomuch

Not a problem until it happens to you. And I say this as someone it has not happened to.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I wonder which one of these users bendmygate is:

AFDoc
KdParker
McDaddio
saab9573
Surf Monkey

What a pathetic accusation to make. The admins of the board can easily check IPs. Duplicate accounts are against the rules and will be banned. Only a fool with a ban-wish would do something like that. Maybe try to avoid the character assassinations in the future?

iceperson

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
Not a problem until it happens to you. And I say this as someone it has not happened to.

Exactly. Also, a fraction of a fraction of problems get posted online. If 200 people posted pics you can bet there are many more that haven't. Heck, I certainly don't remember this many reports of people getting refused service for water damage, but Apple still settled for $53 million for that...

Decathlon

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2011
suf monkey

Damn you are one annoying person.

I am following the post about bending before buying the phone, and i am actually holding back on buying because of it.

I really can't see any of your post here being very productive.

Accept it.....the phone bends, and the problem is kinda stupid having in 2014.

Last edited:

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Damn you are one annoying person.

I am following the post about bending before buying the phone, and i am actually holding back on buying because of it.

I really can't see any of your post here being very productive.

Accept it.....the phone bends, and the problem is kinda stupid having in 2014.

The phone doesn't bend on its own. Something happens in every one of these cases that causes the bend. That fact doesn't make me an annoying person. By your logic I could just as reasonably argue that everyone here who posts statements like you just did (the phone bends, accept it) are more annoying because they fail to recognize THE critical factor: user interaction with the device. No one is claiming that objects can't be bent. The question is HOW are they being bent? If you can't grasp why this is a critical question that's on you, not me.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
Exactly. Asking "What did you do?" rather than "Do you know what caused it?" strongly (and intentionally, in my opinion) implies the user did something abnormal with the phone and is therefore at fault.

Of course they did something abnormal with the phone.
If phones bent from normal activity, there would be a line of several million people outside of the Apple Store. That would be a long line.

mailboxbetacoin

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2014
The phone doesn't bend on its own. Something happens in every one of these cases that causes the bend. That fact doesn't make me an annoying person. By your logic I could just as reasonably argue that everyone here who posts statements like you just did (the phone bends, accept it) are more annoying because they fail to recognize THE critical factor: user interaction with the device. No one is claiming that objects can't be bent. The question is HOW are they being bent? If you can't grasp why this is a critical question that's on you, not me.

To your own admission
All I've done is pointed out the obvious
, you're only telling us that water is wet. So what's the point of your posts? You're cluttering these threads, while we're trying to understand the real problem.

Please stop posting if all you have to contribute is accusations, insults, and stating the obvious. At this point, it is harassment.
When one person complains about you, I could understand how you think something is wrong with that person, but we're at a point where dozen of posters here complaining about your posts. Please go away.

iceperson

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
To your own admission , you're only telling us that water is wet. So what's the point of your posts? You're cluttering these threads, while we're trying to understand the real problem.

Please stop posting if all you have to contribute is accusations, insults, and stating the obvious. At this point, it is harassment.
When one person complains about you, I could understand how you think something is wrong with that person, but we're at a point where dozen of posters here complaining about your posts. Please go away.

Fortunately I have him and his cohorts (alternate accounts) on ignore. What's funny is there are about 5 users (or 1 user with 5 accounts) who spend most of their time responding to these bend posts and without them the posts would most likely drop off the front page. What I don't think he/they get is that his/their posts do more harm to Apple than the people with bent phones asking questions ever will. My friends all think I'm an "Apple fanboy" because every computer, tablet, phone in my house is an Apple product, but I come here and get attacked as a Samsung shill by the likes of Surf Monkey. Imagine what someone who isn't married to the Apple ecosystem thinks when they read his posts...

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Taking issue with the exact way I framed my question is one thing. Using your preconceptions as a springboard to assassinate my character is quite another. I'm pleased to see that you've backed away from character assassination.

Just to be clear, I don't think you are trolling, and I don't think you are deliberately trying to get people.

I do think that the way you questioned people makes them think that you blame them. Many of these people are Apple fans and upset that their new phone appears to have damage. Several used cases to prevent damage. People who care about their phones and take care of them are going to be upset if they think they are being blamed for damage, especially since most don't know what could have caused that damage.

I hope this can defuse the situation here on Macrumors.

----------

Of course they did something abnormal with the phone.

If phones bent from normal activity, there would be a line of several million people outside of the Apple Store. That would be a long line.

Not if there was a quality control problem affecting only some batches of iPhones. It's entirely possible that most phones won't bend, while a number of them are defective and will deform.

I find it bizarre that some people refuse to acknowledge this possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.