Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
It did in Android 4.3

But iOS 8 and iPhone 6(+) has largely plugged the gap and to me, they're even again.

This quote sums up my feelings on both platforms as of 2014.

"At this point, both iOS and Android are equally powerful and sophisticated. It’s a question of “what philosophy suits you better?"

"iOS - “Inspire user delight.”
Android - “Facilitate user choice.""

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
Why all this insecure, faux "shame" about one's personal choice of a mobile phone? Utterly bizarre and without need. All these mind games and play acting like adolescents in school drama class... Ugh.

Everyone, like whatever you want and NEVER EVER feel the need to "defend" your choice of tech or device to a community that is jam packed with angry kids with little sense and big egos... Just enjoy your choices and be happy in life - your happiness doesn't pivot around or depend on the needs of other people's egos.

I love tech and God bless you all.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
iOS is a good OS. And the iPhone is a good phone. Nobody is disputing that.

But Android, and specific phone models have been surpassing iOS and iPhone for awhile, in many aspects.

I have to laugh reading things like this. The iPhone is great but Android offers so much more therefore the insinuation is its better. How patronising.

How about we respect both options suit people due to them being very very good? Not everybody is forced to buy an iPhone through peer pressure, brand awareness, and because they are thick. It's about time people stopped having these shallow views and woke up to the fact it's s good product and appeals. Android and iOS are hugely popular and certain aspects of both appeal to different people. It can't be proven either is better than the other because it is purely subjective. Yawn.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I have to laugh reading things like this. The iPhone is great but Android offers so much more therefore the insinuation is its better. How patronising.

How about we respect both options suit people due to them being very very good? Not everybody is forced to buy an iPhone through peer pressure, brand awareness, and because they are thick. It's about time people stopped having these shallow views and woke up to the fact it's s good product and appeals. Android and iOS are hugely popular and certain aspects of both appeal to different people. It can't be proven either is better than the other because it is purely subjective. Yawn.

How about allowing people to have an opinion without being defensive or thinking they are patronizing.

I gave no indication of wanting to force my views on anyone.

The whole "subjective" and "whatever suits you" statements are fine and dandy in real life, but this is a forum to discuss our opinions. None of us should feel the need to post a disclaimer every time we want to discuss something. Don't like it, then go somewhere else that caters to your own likeness. :rolleyes:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Has Android overtaken iOS?

How about allowing people to have an opinion without being defensive or thinking they are patronizing.

I gave no indication of wanting to force my views on anyone.

The whole "subjective" and "whatever suits you" statements are fine and dandy in real life, but this is a forum to discuss our opinions. None of us should feel the need to post a disclaimer every time we want to discuss something. Don't like it, then go somewhere else that caters to your own likeness. :rolleyes:

Fair enough then, you are wrong and I am right IMO.

The iPhone is the best phone on the market but Android is much better. Hopefully my opinion caters for all. Do yourself a favour and leave the advice on where others can post well out of it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Fair enough then, you are wrong and I am right IMO.

The iPhone is the best phone on the market but Android is much better. Hopefully my opinion caters for all. Do yourself a favour and leave the advice on where others can post well out of it.

Judging from your post history, you've been on an obvious crusade to defend the iPhone's honor no matter what issues or experiences other users had. You can't be taken seriously. Nice try in trying to make me out as the bias one. Now run along and defend Apple's honor. ;)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Has Android overtaken iOS?

Judging from your post history, you've been on an obvious crusade to defend the iPhone's honor no matter what issues or experiences other users had. You can't be taken seriously. Nice try in trying to make me out as the bias one. ;)

Judging by my post history? This is coming from a person who has an obvious agenda for belittling anybody who openly prefers the iPhone, and you think I can't be taken seriously? At least I am willing to accept both iOS and Android are equally good depending on user preference and that is more that can be said for what I have read from you. Yes you are biased but you attempt to cloak it by giving false credit to those who have chosen something different. Have a good weekend and no more post edits please. ;)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Judging by my post history? This is coming from a person who has an obvious agenda for belittling anybody who openly prefers the iPhone, and you think I can't be taken seriously?

Stop making stuff up. I'm the last person to belittle anyone for their preference.

It's users like you that feel the need to make a counter statement in iPhone's praise whenever someone claims an advantage of Android.

At least I am willing to accept both iOS and Android are equally good depending on user preference and that is more that can be said for what I have read from you. Yes you are biased but you attempt to cloak it by giving false credit to those who have chosen something different. Have a good weekend and no more post edits please. ;)

Cloaking??? False credit??? Post edits???

You should give your eyes a rest from the screen before you become completely mad.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Lollipop? Ice cream sandwich was the OS that overtook iOS. For me that OS brought so much improvement over Gingerbread.

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
I have a nexus 5 and now an iPhone 6+. Both operating systems are great for what ever you want in a phone imo.

I went back to iPhone after many years with android because I liked the way iPhones , macs and iPads are now truly multiple platform , you do something in one device and you can pick up were you left off on the other without really thinking about it, I would also say apps are more beatiful and rich on the iOS platform and don't bog down the system .its a phase I used to hate but everything does just seem to work on the iPhone, you get what you get and performance doesn't really go down .

I still have and use and love my nexus 5 though and the new operating system looks beautiful , one thing I miss is the applications draw because for me in iOS having all the apps on the Home screens just looks cluttered and not really beautiful. I also miss Google now because it's far better than Siri in the way it perfoms and integrates with your life.

One problem I did have with android and its to do with the biggest difference between iOS and android , is the fact some apps I downloaded on android effected the performance in the device due to much more access to the system. And it was hard to find the apps that did effect performance. However those differences made some apps far surprise to iOS counterparts.

Either way it's great having this much competition.

I do love the new iPhones though , Touch ID and hopefully when Apple pay takes off in Australia , well it will make it a lot harder for me to go back to android full time . I know Google has had wallet for years but I could never use it like most people in the world , and the fact you have Touch ID working in conjunction with it , will make the functionality and the each of use and the safety of use much better than anything before.

The new android though does looks stunning though I must admit , even more stunning than iOS due to the clutter you get when you have many apps on your home screen of an iOS device because it ends up being a huge multicoloured app mess or screens filled with folders. As appose to your most used apps on your home screen customised to how you want it , then all the rest in the app draw ready to be accessed.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Guys, away from iOS vs. Android one also has to consider that Apple just has very few phone designs, Android devices are plenty out there.

You get a whole zoo of sizes. You get multi-SIM, SD cards. You get some technology advances such as AMOLED, wireless charging. And the biggest point is of course the price. Some Android phones start at just about $100 contract free. The good enough Moto G is still well below $200. Price is still an important factor for many.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
Guys, away from iOS vs. Android one also has to consider that Apple just has very few phone designs, Android devices are plenty out there.

You get a whole zoo of sizes. You get multi-SIM, SD cards. You get some technology advances such as AMOLED, wireless charging. And the biggest point is of course the price. Some Android phones start at just about $100 contract free. The good enough Moto G is still well below $200. Price is still an important factor for many.
If price is a factor to some people, then they aren't really caring about the OS that's on the phone, are they? It could be Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Blackberry, etc, and they would still buy it, simply because it hits the price phone they want.
Not aimed at you, but I find it rather funny how some people simply assume that the people looking for price are using Android because they picked that over any other OS, when in reality they just wanted a $100 phone.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I find iOS to be way ahead of Android. Android tries to be a full blown OS in your pocket, which is entirely the wrong approach for a smartphone and tablet. Apple have taken the right approach of treating smartphones and tablets as consumer appliances.

Said by someone who has clearly never used an Android devices for a significant period of time.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
this is very nicely put. apples marketing tactic is very successful in persuading people that ios is perfect and everything else is crap. it seems though most people are willing to accept shortcomings of ios by claiming:

- nobody needs this feature
- i dont use it

etc. i have an iphone 4s but i could never use it as a daily driver. its really mind boggling what you can do on a decent android smartphone, a real smartphone. automation, file system access, customization ...

iOS is easy to use as long as you do a very small set of restricted tasks in the way Apple designed them. Anything else is either impossible or complicated. iTunes is a massive usability pain.

Android can be overwhelming because nearly everything can be customized. But choice doesn't mean complexity, which is what Apple believes.

In fact I think if you took a new user who's never used a smartphone, gave him Android and iPhone, and asked her to do a list of basic tasks, it'd be the same on both, Android is not harder in any way. And many tasks, e.g. add a file and share it, would be impossible on the iPhone.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
this is very nicely put. apples marketing tactic is very successful in persuading people that ios is perfect and everything else is crap. it seems though most people are willing to accept shortcomings of ios by claiming:

- i dont use it

etc. i have an iphone 4s but i could never use it as a daily driver. its really mind boggling what you can do on a decent android smartphone, a real smartphone. automation, file system access, customization ...

I think the problem stems from some users thinking that everyone wants to do the same things with their smartphones.

It's an incredibly egotistical frame of mind.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
If price is a factor to some people, then they aren't really caring about the OS that's on the phone, are they? It could be Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Blackberry, etc, and they would still buy it, simply because it hits the price phone they want.

So people buy on price not value or most bang for the buck? What I see Android and the slew of phone choices offers just that. An opportunity to get decent bang for the buck in a smart phone. By those phones selling it speaks volumes about the segment of the population that doesn't want to overpay for the others.

when in reality they just wanted a $100 phone.

nothing wrong with that. I'm not about to spend $650 to replace my son's 4s with another iPhone if I can find an Android that will offer more for far less. He's interested in the Sony Z3 Compact right now.

----------

Not aimed at you, but I find it rather funny how some people simply assume that the people looking for price are using Android because they picked that over any other OS, when in reality they just wanted a $100 phone.

I think the problem stems from some users thinking that everyone wants to do the same things with their smartphones.

Ironically that's exactly what Apple pushes though. Thus why I keep going back to a brilliant Android campaign that notes "be together not the same"

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

The problem is when someone is confronted with obvious inferior specs of their beloved device against the competitors, the retort that is used always is cop out with this "what I want is different from you".

But when their device has an advantage like a win in single core benchmark score, they will sing praises like that is the only thing that matters.

Btw: I may not be referring to you.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Said by someone who has clearly never used an Android devices for a significant period of time.

I can't use Android for a significant period of time, because when I spend an hour with it at the store, I realize I don't like the O/S. So why would I even get an android device, when an IOS running device is more suited to me?

----------

- i dont use it

This is the old, exceedingly tired, overblown discussions that Americans are fat, lazy and stupid, look at too much TV and are mesmerized by commercials. I find it interesting the this bs is still used.

I find it amusing that you think the 10 million people who ponied up to by the I6 on launch day, because you did use the word "most", are aware of the "shortcomings" of IOS, but got the phone anyway because of apples' advertising.

Reminds me of enthusiast car forums where BMW is bashed regularly for its' shortcomings compared to the competitors. When BMW sales(their 3 series sells twice as much as #2) are brought up, invariably people believe BMW hypnotized the masses to walk into their showroom even though BMW, by all accounts from BMW bashers, is a sub-par car.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Ironically that's exactly what Apple pushes though. Thus why I keep going back to a brilliant Android campaign that notes "be together not the same"

I agree that that's a brilliant slogan. Even more so when seen from a wider perspective. All available mobile devices and OSs represent a Whole, from which we can all choose what we like and prefer.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So people buy on price not value or most bang for the buck? What I see Android and the slew of phone choices offers just that. An opportunity to get decent bang for the buck in a smart phone. By those phones selling it speaks volumes about the segment of the population that doesn't want to overpay for the others.

nothing wrong with that. I'm not about to spend $650 to replace my son's 4s with another iPhone if I can find an Android that will offer more for far less. He's interested in the Sony Z3 Compact right now.

----------

Overpay. That's certainly a value judgment. What's overpay to you is value to others. In this context value refers to "usefulness" or "importance". For me android devices aren't very useful, because I don't like them and I have the wherewithal to have a choice.

If I bought an note 4 for example, I would overpay because the value is not there for me. It is too big and don't like the O/S.

Edit: Android has point push a marketing campaign that lumps everybody together, while apple pushes a marketing campaign that portrays the uniqueness amongst humanity. Interesting.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Reminds me of enthusiast car forums where BMW is bashed regularly for its' shortcomings compared to the competitors. When BMW sales(their 3 series sells twice as much as #2) are brought up, invariably people believe BMW hypnotized the masses to walk into their showroom even though BMW, by all accounts from BMW bashers, is a sub-par car.

BMW incentives their leases way more than their competitors. They have to because value wise, they are over priced. Their sales have little to do with how the car performs vs the competition.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
BMW incentives their leases way more than their competitors. They have to because value wise, they are over priced. Their sales have little to do with how the car performs vs the competition.

Ah, thank you. That is the other argument from BMW "bashers". BMW doesn't care about this petty internet bickering. Take a look at their financials.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Overpay. That's certainly a value judgment. What's overpay to you is value to others.

when the phone that offers less costs more, it's overpaying. Doesn't matter whether you personally use the added features of the less priced more configurable device. You're still paying more for less. But you are right that such a move may be of value to you simply because of the OS. It's your money.

Edit: Android has point push a marketing campaign that lumps everybody together, while apple pushes a marketing campaign that portrays the uniqueness amongst humanity. Interesting.

I agree on the Apple point. Their brilliance in marketing is connecting the experience of the user to the phone, that connection to humanity as you call it. They masterfully do brainwash the consumer that their product offers a superior experience. Kinda like selling ice to an Eskimo.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
I agree that that's a brilliant slogan. Even more so when seen from a wider perspective. All available mobile devices and OSs represent a Whole, from which we can all choose what we like and prefer.
Then, why can't you understand that not everyone wants Android? Some people like the iPhone and iOS. I find it funny that Android users claim "choice" but really mean "choice, so long as it's Android only".

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Ah, thank you. That is the other argument from BMW "bashers". BMW doesn't care about this petty internet bickering. Take a look at their financials.

Financials of a car company like BMW don't mean a thing to me as a consumer. Are they going under? No. Is all that wealth benefiting me as a consumer of their products? No. They are overpricing their cars and using the profits to buy-down the leases and thus creating the appearance of greater financial value in the market to sell more sleds. Toyota did that in the late 90's too.

No different than Apple today...their phones are flying off the shelves with zero incentives, thus why would they not price them high and forgo any incentives? Consumers are paying more willingly and thus robbing themselves of their own money for a phone and all those profits Apple has that people here brag about....aren't doing anything to directly benefit the consumer other than helping Apple milk them for even more. Beautiful success story really.

Side note: I grew up in the car business and know it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.