Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
when the phone that offers less costs more, it's overpaying. Doesn't matter whether you personally use the added features of the less priced more configurable device. You're still paying more for less. But you are right that such a move may be of value to you simply because of the OS. It's your money.

I agree on the Apple point. Their brilliance in marketing is connecting the experience of the user to the phone, that connection to humanity as you call it. They masterfully do brainwash the consumer that their product offers a superior experience. Kinda like selling ice to an Eskimo.

I don't think the iphone does less, it does more than android in total. If you take the apps, accessories, and customer support into account. IN addition apple phones look nicer and android equivalents. I really like this handoff and the ability to make and receive calls on your other ios devices. I don't know if android has hand-off but it's really cool.

As far as the commercials go, your insinuation that apple is trying to hypnotize the masses through it's commercials while google is being altruistic and providing information in it's commercials is just ridiculous. If apple is trying to sell ice cream to an eskimo, then google is trying to sell ice to the same person.

At least Timmy public stated that apple does not view us as the product, we are the customer. He is absolutely right, with google we are not the customer, we are the product. I like that line of thinking and apples views on privacy.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I can't use Android for a significant period of time, because when I spend an hour with it at the store, I realize I don't like the O/S. So why would I even get an android device, when an IOS running device is more suited to me?

You wouldn't. Which is fine. The real question here is why, after using the OS in a store, would you then post your ad-hoc anecdotal opinions on a forum as though they were facts? Especially when what you're claiming clearly isn't true.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
when the phone that offers less costs more, it's overpaying. Doesn't matter whether you personally use the added features of the less priced more configurable device. You're still paying more for less. But you are right that such a move may be of value to you simply because of the OS. It's your money.

Less of what? Ultimately what we are measuring is the experience, the pleasure and use one gets from a device. So if someone really prefers OS, no matter how stripped down its functionality may be, surely you can see that they are getting more when buying an iPhone? More - for them!

I agree on the Apple point. Their brilliance in marketing is connecting the experience of the user to the phone, that connection to humanity as you call it. They masterfully do brainwash the consumer that their product offers a superior experience. Kinda like selling ice to an Eskimo.

Who the hell doesn't push their own product and tout it as the best among the competition? Google does it too - by underlining their diversity.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I don't think the iphone does less, it does more than android in total. If you take the apps, accessories, and customer support into account. IN addition apple phones look nicer and android equivalents. I really like this handoff and the ability to make and receive calls on your other ios devices. I don't know if android has hand-off but it's really cool.

We don't need to debate which phone or OS does more any further. That's a urinary Olympic event already run here many times over. Everyone knows which platforms excels in capabilities. You fill in your blank, I'll fill in mine.

As far as the commercials go, your insinuation that apple is trying to hypnotize the masses while google is being altruistic and providing information is just ridiculous.

I'm not insinuating it, it's a fact. Apple hypnotizes the masses. Do people really need to wait in line for an iPhone? No way, but they still do it. That cult following is brilliance in marketing. You don't get that by offering a cool well formed widget. You get that through manipulating the public.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX

As far as the commercials go, your insinuation that apple is trying to hypnotize the masses while google is being altruistic and providing information is just ridiculous.

Exactly. The tired argument that Apple "tricks" the masses into buying their products, while Google somehow just offers a product that everyone wants to buy, is ridiculous.
To me, this is the argument at tells me that the person claiming it really has no idea why people pick Apple over another company, and thus must claim that it's simply because people are mindless. Otherwise, they would buy the product that they ("a smarter, more well informed consumer" - notice the sarcastic quotes) purchased.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You wouldn't. Which is fine. The real question here is why, after using the OS in a store, would you then post your ad-hoc anecdotal opinions on a forum as though they were facts? Especially when what you're claiming clearly isn't true.

So I have to actually own an android device to post in this forum?

I'm not insinuating it, it's a fact. Apple hypnotizes the masses. Do people really need to wait in line for an iPhone? No way, but they still do it. That cult following is brilliance in marketing. You don't get that by offering a cool well formed widget. You get that through manipulating the public.

That's fine if you don't want to wait on line, I don't either and we agree on that. But you post shows a huge amount of narrow-mindedness when you impose your views because another human being wants to wait on line to buy something he or she wants; and then you claim they are manipulated by advertising. Sorry that thinking is just off that charts, in a negative way. IMO.

Last edited:

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Less of what? Ultimately what we are measuring is the experience, the pleasure and use one gets from a device.

Yes/no. Some measure the experience others here are speaking of sheer capabilities. The experience is driven by the owners.

If you buy a sports car that corners like an ice skate better than it's competition, yet you never use that capability, it doesn't reduce your overall experience if that's how you use the car/drive. However, it doesn't negate the fact that said car corners better than the competition.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

And this is where you're exaggerating just as much.

Neither of these OSs does more than the other in a general sense. They simply each do more for those who prefer that OS.

Why can't you guys just see both Android and iOS as parts of the same whole and stop bickering about which is better? There is no general, one-size-fits-all answer to that question. It always comes down to personal experience, what we like and prefer.

It seems that almost everyone on this forum is prone to getting sucked into this total identification and side-choosing. Take the high road guys, and...

Think different!

Be together, not the same!

(Sorry getting a bit cheesy towards the end there but you kind of deserve it tbh :p)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yes/no. Some measure the experience others here are speaking of sheer capabilities. The experience is driven by the owners.

If you buy a sports car that corners like an ice skate better than it's competition, yet you never use that capability, it doesn't reduce your overall experience if that's how you use the car/drive. However, it doesn't negate the fact that said car corners better than the competition.

Right and if you buy a car that corners almost as good, but is much more comfortable to drive and the difference would only be noted on the track going in excess of 150 and uses less gas and you tout that, said car is better because you bought it. No matter what the mags think, the manufacturer has your money.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
you post shows a huge amount of narrow-mindedness when you impose your views because another human being wants to wait on line to buy something he or she wants; and then you claim they are manipulated by advertising. Sorry that thinking is just off that charts, in a negative way. IMO.

it's not off the charts in a negative way. have you ever watch the news clips where they interview why some dude camps out for 3 days? listening to their answers is actually depressing because these people actually vote for our elected officials. they are influenced into it through marketing, hype, peer pressure, etc. but there's hardly much of any common sense involved IMO. But hey, perhaps it's just dudes bonding over candy bars, pop and iphones. LOL Apple :apple:

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And this is where you're exaggerating just as much.

Neither of these OSs does more than the other in a general sense. They simply each do more for those who prefer that OS.

Why can't you guys just see both Android and iOS as parts of the same whole and stop bickering about which is better? There is no general, one-size-fits-all answer to that question. It always comes down to personal experience, what we like and prefer.

It seems that almost everyone on this forum is prone to getting sucked into this total identification and side-choosing. Take the high road guys, and...

Think different!

Be together, not the same!

(Sorry getting a bit cheesy towards the end there but you kind of deserve it tbh :p)

There is no high road here. :eek: A high road would not be viewing apple customers as hypnotized masses who buy overpriced electronics that runs an inferior operating system on under performing hardware that has no method of customization.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Right and if you buy a car that corners almost as good, but is much more comfortable to drive and the difference would only be noted on the track going in excess of 150 and uses less gas and you tout that, said car is better because you bought it. No matter what the mags think, the manufacturer has your money.

it's not better because I bought it, it's better because I make use of the better performance and know how to use it. same as with my phone. you said you don't own an Android so you don't know what you don't know because it sounds as if you've not regularly worked with a properly configured one whereby it's performance and capabilities would lead to a more pleasing overall experience than what an iPhone offers. Sorry to imply assumptions but for the masses this is true. I see it everyday at work when people are amazed at what they can't do on iOS or often what they have to do in order to accomplish simliar things. yet those same people enjoy their choice overall. Hey, a hamburger is good when you're hungry. I prefer a nice steak though.

----------

A high road would not be viewing apple customers as hypnotized masses who buy overpriced electronics that runs an inferior operating system on under performing hardware that has no method of customization.

there's no low road to the above either....unless you're some hippie liberal that believes in a more socialized view of everything needs to be fair and equal for all even if it's not or they haven't earned it.

in the end, Android runs on way more devices with way more specialized functions, a many to many offering vs iPhones which are run on basically the same small number of devices with nearly identical offerings, essentially a one to many offering. but there's nothing wrong with a society of people walking around in the same uniform. uniformity exists for a reason.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
There is no high road here. :eek: A high road would not be viewing apple customers as hypnotized masses who buy overpriced electronics that runs an inferior operating system on under performing hardware that has no method of customization.

Do you need any help getting off that high horse?
Just because you don't like or agree with the way that Apple does business, doesn't mean that people that do, are instantly mindless. This is why Android users and evangelists such as yourself, are seen as the new Apple cult. Stop being such an a** when it comes to the OS that people choose to use on a daily basis and realize that not everyone is the same.
Once you do that, you'll live a much better life.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
it's not better because I bought it, it's better because I make use of the better performance and know how to use it. same as with my phone. you said you don't own an Android so you don't know what you don't know because it sounds as if you've not regularly worked with a properly configured one whereby it's performance and capabilities would lead to a more pleasing overall experience than what an iPhone offers. Sorry to imply assumptions but for the masses this is true. I see it everyday at work when people are amazed at what they can't do on iOS or often what they have to do in order to accomplish simliar things. yet those same people enjoy their choice overall. Hey, a hamburger is good when you're hungry. I prefer a nice steak though.

----------

there's no low road to the above either....unless you're some hippie liberal that believes in a more socialized view of everything needs to be fair and equal for all even if it's not or they haven't earned it.

in the end, Android runs on way more devices with way more specialized functions, a many to many offering vs iPhones which are run on basically the same small number of devices with nearly identical offerings, essentially a one to many offering. but there's nothing wrong with a society of people walking around in the same uniform. uniformity exists for a reason.

Hippie liberals don't believe in owning iphones, so let's take that out of the equation.

I agree with you and in my mind see millions of mindless minions running an android operating system. There is nothing wrong with a society of people wearing the same undergarments.

As far as the bolded in the top part, more hyperbole. Nothing to back it up. I could say the same thing about android and cite some examples, but so what?

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

Are you taking the pity road now saying the iPhone supporters are repressed lot?

You think Android users are better off when being asked to accept intangible and unfathomable craziness like eco system, user experience and great overall package being reasons their phone is inferior.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Hippie liberals don't believe in owning iphones, so let's take that out of the equation.

Northern Cali/Oregon area much? You know I'm right...and they typically drive Subi's or Prius sleds.

I could say the same thing about android and cite some examples, but so what?

no thanks....that Olympic even has already has had a winner proven in several other threads.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

It's difficult to define 'more' in the greater sense and make it applicable for everybody, especially if we want to draw the same conclusion. More overall features don't translate as more for everybody and if an iPhone or Android phone lacks a key feature for somebody, then it falls short. A car can be packed with features but still not be as nice to drive as another in somebody's opinion. Personal taste is always going to be something a manufacturer will struggle to satisfy for everybody. It's not s bad thing because it invites more choice.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Do you need any help getting off that high horse?
Just because you don't like or agree with the way that Apple does business, doesn't mean that people that do, are instantly mindless. This is why Android users and evangelists such as yourself, are seen as the new Apple cult. Stop being such an a** when it comes to the OS that people choose to use on a daily basis and realize that not everyone is the same.
Once you do that, you'll live a much better life.

What? Did you even read the threads? Obviously not.

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
I think the problem stems from some users thinking that everyone wants to do the same things with their smartphones.

It's an incredibly egotistical frame of mind.

The problem comes from Apple dictating what you *should* be able to do and making everything else impossible, and people then defending this as 'perfect'.

Everyone has different needs, I should be able to what *I* want, not what someone else tells me is allowed, and its incredibly patronizing for iPhone fans and Apple to tell others that a feature is lacking because its not needed.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Northern Cali/Oregon area much? You know I'm right...and they typically drive Subi's or Prius sleds.

no thanks....that Olympic even has already has had a winner proven in several other threads.

Yep. You are correct. [/sarcasm] :cool:

edit: You're good at snarky remarks, much less so than having a cogent discussion of the topic on hand.

Last edited:

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
edit: You're good at snarky remarks, much less so than having a cogent discussion of the topic on hand.

feel free to keep bringing them. haven't backed down from one yet. it always helps though when the person I'm debating with actually owns the device though.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
The problem comes from Apple dictating what you *should* be able to do and making everything else impossible, and people then defending this as 'perfect'.

Everyone has different needs, I should be able to what *I* want, not what someone else tells me is allowed, and its incredibly patronizing for iPhone fans and Apple to tell others that a feature is lacking because its not needed.
Just as it is incredibly patronizing for an Android fan to tell me that my choice is the wrong choice, when they don't know me and simply generalize what I do.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I think the problem stems from some users thinking that everyone wants to do the same things with their smartphones.

It's an incredibly egotistical frame of mind.

Basically this is the long and short of it.

Anyway I'm outta here, better to leave people to their eternal sandbox kiddy fight since they seem to be enjoying it so much. :D

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Just as it is incredibly patronizing for an Android fan to tell me that my choice is the wrong choice, when they don't know me and simply generalize what I do.

the irony is that at least you have a choice. apple's walled garden approach is far from offering as open of choices as Android. besides, no one here is telling you your choice is wrong. it's just pretty much the same as other iphone users because you all really have limited choices. but hey, that's not a problem if iphones users are good with it. Apple's twisted version of Stockholm syndrome ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.