Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puercaeli

macrumors regular
May 10, 2008
Coming from iPad4

Like: light, fast charging(on 12W), great display, extremely powerful, great camera

No like: included adaptor only 10W, feels less sturdy(especially front glass is very thin - but it has been like this since air), rotation lock(but getting used to it), occassionally gets uncomfortably hot

Arline

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
What I don't like about the Air 2 is lack of front-facing speakers. Come on Apple. You're gonna do it sooner or later, so do it sooner. I also would have liked to have a 3x screen resolution, which will also happen sooner or later. Other than that everything seems perfect.

Oh yeah, lack of the mute/rotation lock button is a huge pain.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
You know, a lot of issues get overblown on MR... But I had a chance to check it out at the Apple Store today and you guys aren't kidding about the vibrations and screen distortions. The distortions seem to vary in intensity from one display model to the next but they all had them and they are quite noticeable. That's a bit concerning in terms of whether the pressure can damage the display over time or not.

As for the sound vibrations, holy crap! :eek: I really didn't expect it to be that bad... While trying out both the Air and Air 2 side by side, it's just insane how much the body is picking up the vibrations from the speakers on the 2. To the point it feels uncomfortable. And since I couldn't stay too long, I forgot to check how it is in landscape mode. Is it just as bad a feeling or less?

Damnit! I have an iPad 4 and skipped the Air because I was waiting for the RAM upgrade and Touch ID... and the Air 2 was what I was waiting for, but now I'm not as excited. I still want it for the speed boost, lightness and the RAM upgrade... but can I overlook these 2 issues? Dunno...

This is the first Apple product refresh I was waiting for that I've hesitated to jump on immediately.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
The speaker "vibration" is just over-used low-frequencies.. think subwoofer.. I think it's a bit excessive but I bet Apple will tone this back in a future update.. EQ adjustment is in order here.

randymac88

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Damnit! I have an iPad 4 and skipped the Air because I was waiting for the RAM upgrade and Touch ID... and the Air 2 was what I was waiting for, but now I'm not as excited. I still want it for the speed boost, lightness and the RAM upgrade... but can I overlook these 2 issues? Dunno...

This is the first Apple product refresh I was waiting for that I've hesitated to jump on immediately.

I have an Air 2 and don't even know what these issues are. I can't speak to what you've seen in the Apple Store, but believe me this iPad is going to blow the doors off your ipad 4. I think that within about a month after buying, any issue that you might think you have, if you have one at all, won't be an issue.

I upgraded from an iPad 3 and am in a different and amazingly more-awesome iPad world.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
What I don't like about the Air 2 is lack of front-facing speakers. Come on Apple. You're gonna do it sooner or later, so do it sooner. I also would have liked to have a 3x screen resolution, which will also happen sooner or later. Other than that everything seems perfect.

Oh yeah, lack of the mute/rotation lock button is a huge pain.

I see no point in 3x res when it's already retina. Your eyes won't beable to tell a difference. Just like its getting rediculus with 4k screens on phones. It's just a specs game at this point.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
First Impressions From Air 2 Owners TODAY

I received my iPad Air 2 Cellular Gold 128GB model yesterday afternoon as promised by Apple. Out of the box I could tell the difference in reduced weight VS my iPad Air 1. I still can't get over just how thin and light the Air 2 is now.....
The restore process was really quick with this one as it only took about 2 hours to load my apps, videos and pictures. As far as speed goes I really didn't notice how much faster it is compared to the iPad Air 1 until after the restore process was completed. The speed of web browsing is amazing and it's great to now be able to load up multiple tabs within the browser at a time and not one of them refresh or crash on me....
The new Touch ID for the iPad works well out of the box. I set up 4 fingers and they all unlock my Air 2 on the first try.......
The reduce glare screen is really nice for reading in direct sunlight as tested through reading iBooks outside. I noticed that the screen on my Air 2 is a much brighter White with more natural color tones compared to the iPad Air 1. Also, the Black text seems more Bold to me which is nicer when reading and browsing in Safari........
The Volume on the Air 2 is much louder than my Air 1 and almost feels like surround sound when watching a Movie within NetFlix. I see a lot of talk on the web about vibration and so far I can honestly say it is no different than my Air 1 and certainly not distracting in the least when watching videos....
As far as the WiFi speed goes it doesn't seem to be any different than my Air 1. However, the improved LTE speed on AT&T's network is truly remarkable. This thing is lightning quick and if I still had an unlimited iPad data plan I would be using LTE over my WiFi connection all the time......
As far as the camera goes, I haven't taken any picture as yet, but considering the camera is now 8MP, I believe the pictures will be much improved.
Battery life on my Air 2 seems to be about the same as what I got on my Air 1 which was 12 hours of usage time.

The pictures of the Gold do not do it justice as the new Gold color on the iPad really is sharp looking.

bu5u6u8e.jpg

4azuzaha.jpg

u8usahug.jpg

te5y5a5u.jpg

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida

Don't listen, the gold is a gorgeous color on a Apple device.

----------

You know, a lot of issues get overblown on MR... But I had a chance to check it out at the Apple Store today and you guys aren't kidding about the vibrations and screen distortions. The distortions seem to vary in intensity from one display model to the next but they all had them and they are quite noticeable. That's a bit concerning in terms of whether the pressure can damage the display over time or not.

As for the sound vibrations, holy crap! :eek: I really didn't expect it to be that bad... While trying out both the Air and Air 2 side by side, it's just insane how much the body is picking up the vibrations from the speakers on the 2. To the point it feels uncomfortable. And since I couldn't stay too long, I forgot to check how it is in landscape mode. Is it just as bad a feeling or less?

I get the feeling Apple thought the added "bassy" sound was wanted by the community.. When listening to music through the speakers its not too bad it makes the iPad sound like a bigger sound system than it's size can produce but for everything else it's toooooooo much.. I hope they will tune the built-in default EQ with an update.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
I received my iPad Air 2 Cellular Gold 128GB model yesterday afternoon as promised by Apple. Out of the box I could tell the difference in reduced weight VS my iPad Air 1. I still can't get over just how thin and light the Air 2 is now.....
The restore process was really quick with this one as it only took about 2 hours to load my apps, videos and pictures. As far as speed goes I really didn't notice how much faster it is compared to the iPad Air 1 until after the restore process was completed. The speed of web browsing is amazing and it's great to now be able to load up multiple tabs within the browser at a time and not one of them refresh or crash on me....
The new Touch ID for the iPad works well out of the box. I set up 4 fingers and they all unlock my Air 2 on the first try.......
The reduce glare screen is really nice for reading in direct sunlight as tested through reading iBooks outside. I noticed that the screen on my Air 2 is a much brighter White with more natural color tones compared to the iPad Air 1. Also, the Black text seems more Bold to me which is nicer when reading and browsing in Safari........
The Volume on the Air 2 is much louder than my Air 1 and almost feels like surround sound when watching a Movie within NetFlix. I see a lot of talk on the web about vibration and so far I can honestly say it is no different than my Air 1 and certainly not distracting in the least when watching videos....
As far as the WiFi speed goes it doesn't seem to be any different than my Air 1. However, the improved LTE speed on AT&T's network is truly remarkable. This thing is lightning quick and if I still had an unlimited iPad data plan I would be using LTE over my WiFi connection all the time......
As far as the camera goes, I haven't taken any picture as yet, but considering the camera is now 8MP, I believe the pictures will be much improved.
Battery life on my Air 2 seems to be about the same as what I got on my Air 1 which was 12 hours of usage time.

The pictures of the Gold do not do it justice as the new Gold color on the iPad really is sharp looking.

Distortion while holding it?

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
So no weird right hand screen distorting from picking it up or holding it right handed? This is the only thing I've heard that worries me.

None for me either.

Just watched a movie on my iPad and decided the speaker vibration is worth it for the better sound. Very loud, clear, and nice bass for a tablet.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Here's some bat life info. I let it run down to 1%, then fully charged it. Then ran it again...

air2bata.png

That was with 75% screen brightness.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
None for me either.

Just watched a movie on my iPad and decided the speaker vibration is worth it for the better sound. Very loud, clear, and nice bass for a tablet.
Wow. This is interesting.

I wish Apple read these forums. From people reporting no issues to people saying every single iPad in the store does it.

I am shocked this isn't as big as bendgate

teahupo'o

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
The display is perfect. I looked for flaws, hard. It's perfection!

The processor is incredible, but at this point only pixlmator and other photo apps can really use the power

My biggest issue is deciding whether to keep it safe in its case or let people see the beauty of all gold errythang

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
The display is perfect. I looked for flaws, hard. It's perfection!

The processor is incredible, but at this point only pixlmator and other photo apps can really use the power

My biggest issue is deciding whether to keep it safe in its case or let people see the beauty of all gold errythang
I hope one user like you will make a video of the screen NOT warping when holding it to show it isn't ALL the Air 2s that have this issue.

teahupo'o

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
First Impressions From Air 2 Owners TODAY

Phones
iPhone 8GB OG
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 3GS 16GB
iPhone 4 32GB
Galaxy S4 32GB (became an alcoholic)
iPhone 5s 16GB (got sober)

Ipadlvr I would be happy to make a video if I wasn't busy enjoying my tablet ;)

----------

You guys complain about vibrations, had they put in crappy speakers would it be better? The thing has a volume control, AND a headphone jack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.