Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liquorice

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2012
Surrey
Coming from an ipad 2, what can I say loving it though I do miss the solid feel of the ipad 2 I will get used to it:)
Won't be upgrading for at least 3 years so hope it lasts as well as the ipad 2.
Have a cover on it already not into naked iPads, my woman yes but not the iPad :D

Last edited:

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
It feels much smaller than my iPad 2 (obviously) and it's crazy thin without sacrificing ergonomics.

The screen in particular is great, everything looks "closer" and really vibrant.

The speed is insane though. Everything is just so responsive, even compared to the original Air.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Upgraded from Air 1 for laminated screen and thinner and lighter design. Air 2 delivers all this plus a suprisingly noticeable speed increase. Well worth the upgrade! Also nice that last year's Smart Cover still fits perfectly. With the Air 2, the slick new iPhones, the 5K iMac, Apple Pay and the upcoming Watch, right now :apple: is just totally on fire. :cool:

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
So does anyone else's get warm doing the simplest things, like just browsing the web?

Its on the right side, about halfway up on the back of the device. I assume one of the processors/graphics chips is in that location. It's not uncomfortable to hold, but annoying. I can understand gaming, but just regular browsing of the web should not heat it up this much IMO.

Stick it in an Apple smart case then no probs!

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Just got my Air 2, and it is amazing. I'm used to the display issues that pop up (book spine, light bleed, color shift, dead pixels, etc.), and thankfully my Air 2 display is basically perfect. Overall, it's really, really, crazy fast.

I do have a question for other people though- is the device supposed have a gentle curve from the top to the bottom? There isn't a specific point where it bends, but when looking at the long side of it, there appears to be a slight concave curve along the device.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just got my Air 2, and it is amazing. I'm used to the display issues that pop up (book spine, light bleed, color shift, dead pixels, etc.), and thankfully my Air 2 display is basically perfect. Overall, it's really, really, crazy fast.

I do have a question for other people though- is the device supposed have a gentle curve from the top to the bottom? There isn't a specific point where it bends, but when looking at the long side of it, there appears to be a slight concave curve along the device.

I noticed the slight curve last night, but then sighted down my Air 1. The Air 1 has a much greater curve, and I never noticed it. Not an issue now. ;)

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
Really happy that nobody is complaining about their WiFi signal dropping.

Still waiting for them to release it in Thailand. IPhone will be here Oct. 31.

I'm getting it Gray. Black. As it should be. Screen and WiFi issues pending I'm getting one. It'll be my laptop replacement

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Battery life is the only downside for me. It is noticeably draining faster than my previous Air. Will give it a good cycle and see how it fairs over the weekend.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
Battery life is the only downside for me. It is noticeably draining faster than my previous Air. Will give it a good cycle and see how it fairs over the weekend.

It is more powerful and has a smaller battery. The only claim is that it will last at least 10 hours of use.

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
I'm quite happy with mine. It's fast, light and feels comfortable to use.

Minor quibbles thus far: as above, battery life seems a bit lower than I'd hoped though it's still very early. It gets quite warm when in use and the Touch ID doesn't seem quite as co-operative as it is on my iPhone.

Admittedly, I'm just nit-picking. :)

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
Came from a 4.

Screen is awesome! Very thin, any thinner would be a mistake I think.

It's quite overwhelming holding in it to be honest!

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I noticed the slight curve last night, but then sighted down my Air 1. The Air 1 has a much greater curve, and I never noticed it. Not an issue now. ;)

That's all I need. Thanks for the report! I think a lot of people are a little more aware of this kind of thing ever since the crap with the 6 Plus.

ttNB

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Nor' Jersey & New York (Twi-State)
Screen resembles that of the 6+, in clarity and in rich color (64GB SG, Wi-Fi)
Start up times are super quick, and switching between apps is a breeze without any lag.
My only 2 gripes are the vibration is really strong when the volume exceeds a certain point, and the battery life is noticeably different. Still good, but my wife took my 1st Gen Air, and I can be at 100%, and she won't, and I'll catch up to her %, through out browsing and watching videos.
Other than that, I love the new Air 2, and like everything else in life there are strengths and weaknesses to everything.:apple:;)

----------

I'm divorcing my iPad 3.

You too? That was my work iPad. I loved that thing, but someone else has it now, and they are enjoying it. I still have the 1st Gen iPad, that my wife uses for a backup. She notices the difference now when she uses it, after being on the 1st generation Air.

----------

Battery life seems to be the main issue. :confused:
I know it takes a few cycles to get the battery % synced with the real battery level, but I think the speed of this device is using those extra points that we no longer have on the battery.:apple:

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Got a flawless one except for the ATT LTE signal is horrible. I get 5 bars in the office with my iphone 6 and original air and 1 to 2 on the Air 2. Did a speed test and get 1-2 mbps vs 17 on the other devices. Either mine is defective or something is wrong with the design.

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
First iPad and it's flawless. I mean I don't like the vibrating when the speakers are being used but I doubt I'll use them that much so it doesn't really bother me.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
Got a flawless one except for the ATT LTE signal is horrible. I get 5 bars in the office with my iphone 6 and original air and 1 to 2 on the Air 2. Did a speed test and get 1-2 mbps vs 17 on the other devices. Either mine is defective or something is wrong with the design.

Restart a few times. Maybe a reset and erase. This happened to my iPhone 4 years ago.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
The screen is unreal. The laminated display makes everything look great. Apple SIM is pretty cool and they have updated the way you can view your cellular data plan information. I got the gold version and I like it. Not too in your face but it will stand out in a crowd.

HowlinAl

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
I'm moving from a 64GB iPad 4 to a 128GB Air 2, wifi. Here's what I've noticed.

So light, so comfortable to hold. Feels solid. I got the gold one, it's so sexy and cool.

Fast. Safari performance is dramatically improved. Everything else seems just a little quicker and smoother, and Safari is way, way better.

I'll take the experts word that the battery drains faster. I haven't noticed it yet. Curious to see how quickly it recharges.

The vibration thing is a non-issue. Yes it vibrates with bass heavy stuff. But it actually has bass! The audio quality is way better than my iPad 4. It's not too comfortable to type while blasting music. But hold the iPad about halfway up and you barely feel the vibration at all. This is way overblown.

The screen looks great, but I don't see the big improvement I was expecting over my old iPad 4. It looked looks better, I guess, but it's not blowing my mind or anything.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Coming from an iPad 2 all I can say is Damn. It's amazingly fast, and noticably light. Glad I bought this year as I'll have to wait till the iPad Air 7 or whatever to purchase my next one ;)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Thanks for all the feedback, it should help folks deciding if they want to give the Air 2 a go. I know there is a thread with some folks upgrading from the first Air, I want to keep up with that. Maybe some weren't going to in the first place but when they weighed the differences it was enough to push them over the fence.

I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming trying it most of the day and really liking it. The pinch hurt so I wasn't dreaming and nothing has changed, this thing is GODZILLA!! :)

Battery charged from 35% to 100% in two hours. I think that is more than acceptable to me personally. Generally it will be overnight for me but I wanted to give it some more juice so I can play with it the rest of the night.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
I would like to reiterate some others: Sound vibrations are prominent. It doesn't bother me though. The Display is absolutely beautiful! The moment I turned it on, I had the feeling like it was a Retina HD display! The colors are reproduced brilliantly, the sharpness and crispiness is excellent. The glass cover is still a fingerprint magnet.

While the old Smart Covers work fine, the previous Smart Cases work too but have a very little play and the volume rockers don't line up.

Right now I'm calibrating the battery by draining it to zero. Usage showed 11 hours 23 mins from 100%. Overall highly satisfied!

Scotth48

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
East tn
I'm moving from a 64GB iPad 4 to a 128GB Air 2, wifi. Here's what I've noticed.

So light, so comfortable to hold. Feels solid. I got the gold one, it's so sexy and cool.

Fast. Safari performance is dramatically improved. Everything else seems just a little quicker and smoother, and Safari is way, way better.

I'll take the experts word that the battery drains faster. I haven't noticed it yet. Curious to see how quickly it recharges.

The vibration thing is a non-issue. Yes it vibrates with bass heavy stuff. But it actually has bass! The audio quality is way better than my iPad 4. It's not too comfortable to type while blasting music. But hold the iPad about halfway up and you barely feel the vibration at all. This is way overblown.

The screen looks great, but I don't see the big improvement I was expecting over my old iPad 4. It looked looks better, I guess, but it's not blowing my mind or anything.
yeah that vibration really doesn't bother me at all the sound on this is really improved so far I'm very happy screen looks great everything good#

veryangrybirds

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
very happy

coming from an ipad 4, my new ipad air 2 wifi-cellular is amazing.

setup was a breeze. transferring my unlimited att data plan was quick.

did bleed and dead pixel test, screen is perfect!

the vibration does not bother me at all, it shouldn't be an issue. the sound is amazing.

the red smart cover looks amazing with the gold ipad!

very happy camper here. highly recommend the ipad air 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.