Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
This is an increasingly frequent question, so I'll lay it out in detail below.

Here is how it works when buying a game on Steam:

The sale defaults to whatever platform you've purchased on. Then a calculation occurs that tracks which platform you play most in the first 7 days after that purchase. If more play time occurs on a different platform, then the sale shifts over to the most played platform. Its a really smart/fair system. Note: mobile purchases always default to Windows if the game is not played in the first 7 days.

So to recap if you want to support Mac and Linux with your purchase on Steam:

1. Buy the game through your Mac or Linux Steam client.
2. Dont play it on any other platform in the first 7 days after your purchase.
3. If you bought it on your phone, play it on Mac or Linux within 7 days of purchase.

Or you can simply buy it on GameAgent, and don't worry about any of the above since all GameAgent sales benefit Aspyr directly :)

This is also the case for ANY other retailer. Example: if you buy the Windows version from say Amazon, you are supporting Windows regardless of whether you actually launch the game on that platform. Steam (and Humble Bundle) are currently the ONLY outlets that have platform detection.

thanks blair. does it have to be listed as steamplay when i buy it?

one thing that often happens for example is,

i see a game on sale on steam which is pc only. i buy it, maybe because ive seen on the steam database thread on insidemacgames that its coming out for mac, maybe ive just bought it because it looks good but dont get around to installing it yet.

or to be more pertinent to this thread, say i purchase civ beyond earth, which we know is coming out for mac but isnt yet.

at a later stage, maybe only a few weeks later, maybe 6 months later it changes to steam play, and i install it and only play it for mac.

in that case would you get anything?

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I always wait for the official Mac release/Steamplay designation. And I always buy through the Steam Mac client. However, there are plenty of times when I might pick up something on sale or even not and then not get to it for months. So the sale happens via the Mac client and the game ultimately only gets played in OS X. However, this does not necessarily happen within seven days.

Do Aspyr and Feral still get paid in that scenario?

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
So... to be clear from what I read here...

If you buy a boxed version, or buy it in Steam on Windows... then you do NOT play the game for 2 months... then you play it for the first time, and only, on a Mac from that point... the money goes to the Mac developer, or is there some time limit between purchase and the first 7 days of playing? I realize you already commented on Mobile purchases.

No. The sale defaults to the purchasing platform. If you buy the game on Windows, Windows gets credit UNLESS you happen to play it on a Mac more in the first 7 days.

----------

Wow, really? Not even Greenmangaming? If I get a steam code from there and activate it on Steam for OS X and play it right away, that doesn't get you anything? That seems crazy...

GMG is actually one of my accounts. You just have to make sure you are buying the Mac version from them.

Although for BE specifically, GMG will not get Mac codes until we launch.

----------

thanks blair. does it have to be listed as steamplay when i buy it?

one thing that often happens for example is,

i see a game on sale on steam which is pc only. i buy it, maybe because ive seen on the steam database thread on insidemacgames that its coming out for mac, maybe ive just bought it because it looks good but dont get around to installing it yet.

or to be more pertinent to this thread, say i purchase civ beyond earth, which we know is coming out for mac but isnt yet.

at a later stage, maybe only a few weeks later, maybe 6 months later it changes to steam play, and i install it and only play it for mac.

in that case would you get anything?

This is a very good question and its a bit complicated. In the specific case of BE, Valve did pay us for pre-orders even through the Mac/Linux icons were not present.

That said, you should wait until you see the icon if you want to be SURE you $ goes to the Mac developer.

----------

I always wait for the official Mac release/Steamplay designation. And I always buy through the Steam Mac client. However, there are plenty of times when I might pick up something on sale or even not and then not get to it for months. So the sale happens via the Mac client and the game ultimately only gets played in OS X. However, this does not necessarily happen within seven days.

Do Aspyr and Feral still get paid in that scenario?

If you are purchasing on the Mac client, you are golden as the sale ALWAYS defaults to the purchasing client (mobile being the exception.)

Funny enough...this actually swings both ways. Sometimes, gamers purchase on the Mac client (at work for example) but they are really PC gamers. We get paid for that sale. Its rare, but it shows up in our reporting as a PC sale, so it always makes us chuckle a bit :apple:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
GMG is actually one of my accounts. You just have to make sure you are buying the Mac version from them.

Although for BE specifically, GMG will not get Mac codes until we launch.

I see. I didn't realize GMG had separate "Mac versions" since you just get a Steam key.

BTW, what happens if you buy a game via the web browser in OS X, but don't play it for a while? I never bought anything via the client because the in-Steam browser has always been a bit wonky.

Laucian Nailor

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
UK
Funny enough...this actually swings both ways. Sometimes, gamers purchase on the Mac client (at work for example) but they are really PC gamers. We get paid for that sale. Its rare, but it shows up in our reporting as a PC sale, so it always makes us chuckle a bit :apple:

Now this is one of those oddly ironic things that would really make me smile :D

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
I see. I didn't realize GMG had separate "Mac versions" since you just get a Steam key.

BTW, what happens if you buy a game via the web browser in OS X, but don't play it for a while? I never bought anything via the client because the in-Steam browser has always been a bit wonky.

Great question Cougar, the client and the web browser track in the exact same way. So anything purchased via OSX on the web would credit the Mac developer.

I too prefer to purchase on the web, and agree the client is wonky sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.