Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bounou

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
I pre-ordered this thing during E3 when the game was supposed to be for Mac and PC, the copy i just received is pc only... wondering if i will be able to play on Mac when the game is released for it or if i will need to buy it again?

Anyone know?

Ainze

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
It's a Steam key in the box, correct? Just register the key into your Steam account and you'll be able to download the Mac (and Linux) version when released. Definitely. No doubt.

bounou

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
It's a Steam key in the box, correct? Just register the key into your Steam account and you'll be able to download the Mac (and Linux) version when released. Definitely. No doubt.

Avoiding opening the box before i know lol

Makes sense but it's been forever since i bought a physical copy of a computer game, only did it with this one because i was getting 25% off with all my PS4 and XBOX one pre-orders.

Is the steam code a given for a 2K game?

Ainze

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
On the back of the box, does it say anything about Steam or requiring you to agree to Steam's policies?

I'm pretty sure that Steam is the only way this game is distributed on PC, even the boxed version.

This same thing happened with Civ V. I bought it for PC before a Mac version was even announced. I thought it would be at least a year or two for a Mac version. Then Aspyr released the Mac version a few months later and there it was for free. You'll be fine, don't worry.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006

Typical of the steam ethos, this is one of the reasons I really dislike steam and what it stands for.

When a game I want releases on steam I sit back and wait, if it does not appear anywhere else DRM free then I cross it from my list.

Just when will people wise up to steam and its business ethos.

Ainze

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Typical of the steam ethos, this is one of the reasons I really dislike steam and what it stands for.

When a game I want releases on steam I sit back and wait, if it does not appear anywhere else DRM free then I cross it from my list.

The DRM? Yeah, I'm not a fan either. But SteamPlay? One of the best things ever.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012

sorry, what is typical of the steam ethos?

Ainze

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
http://store.steampowered.com/app/65980/

It looks like it will run under Windows. If you buy it and the Mac version won't run, you could still use Boot Camp to play.

That's only because the Mac version isn't out yet. It's a SteamPlay game, so once the Mac version is out you get it on Steam along with the Windows version you already have.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20202760/

Beyond Earth will be Steamplay when we release our version this holiday. One copy will give you access to all three platforms (Mac/PC/Linux).

Ainze

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
That's only because the Mac version isn't out yet. It's a SteamPlay game, so once the Mac version is out you get it on Steam along with the Windows version you already have.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20202760/

No, I'm talking about his graphics card. A 2012 MBP has an HD4000, which isn't supported in the Mac release of the game (Intel Iris or greater), but is supported in the Windows version (HD3000 or greater).

Unless I've made an incorrect assumption?

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
No, I'm talking about his graphics card. A 2012 MBP has an HD4000, which isn't supported in the Mac release of the game (Intel Iris or greater), but is supported in the Windows version (HD3000 or greater).

Unless I've made an incorrect assumption?

Oh excuse me, although I believe if that that GPU will run it on Windows it should do okay in OS X as well.

You advice to check the Match my Mac is useful, but it only looks at the printed requirements as all. Since the Mac version isn't out yet, I think it's hard to tell if it'll run the game or not just yet.

Ainze

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Oh excuse me, although I believe if that that GPU will run it on Windows it should do okay in OS X as well.

You advice to check the Match my Mac is useful, but it only looks at the printed requirements as all. Since the Mac version isn't out yet, I think it's hard to tell if it'll run the game or not just yet.

Just to add to what you're saying, those are the requirements as set by Aspyr, who are developing and testing the Mac version right now. So they'll know what works and what doesn't.

And a GPU working on Windows software doesn't always mean that Mac version will run too. There's all kinds of software overhead, Direct X to OpenGL calls, sometimes just bad porting. At best some Mac games can actually run better than their Windows counterparts, but most run a little worse, and some - a few pitiful examples - are absolutely terrible.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

Maybe, depends on the game. Most games suffer at least a small performance decrease in OS X.

AspyrBlair on IMG did say that they went a little conservative with the specs, so there's a chance they could come down a bit. But I wouldn't count on it.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Just to add to what you're saying, those are the requirements as set by Aspyr, who are developing and testing the Mac version right now. So they'll know what works and what doesn't.

Oh certainly, although in the case of Modern Warfare 2 and 3 people were able to play despite the GPU's not being supported. Although performance was not the best.

The advantage with Civ is that it's turn based a performance drop isn't always too bad or noticeable.
It's why I stated that although the specs are listed, a person won't really know of sure until the game is out.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
If you have it for Steam.. I'd wait to register and play it until you can on the Mac... if you do it now and play on Windows, then switch to Mac later, the Mac developer will never get any money from your purchase.

Ainze

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
If you have it for Steam.. I'd wait to register and play it until you can on the Mac... if you do it now and play on Windows, then switch to Mac later, the Mac developer will never get any money from your purchase.

I could be wrong, but I think there's more to it than just time. If the code was bought from a PC-only retailer, it still just goes to the PC dev. A boxed copy is PC-only, so if what I read was correct, Aspyr won't get anything from it anyway.

Of course, I (or my source article) could be wrong.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012

maybe blair can confirm, but i thought from one of edwin's feral posts, you need to buy it when there is a steamplay version on sale. buying a pc version will mean the money goes to the pc developer. by buying a steamplay version, if you play more than one version in the first month it gets split, if not it goes to the version you played.

Laucian Nailor

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
UK
I've preordered direct from Aspyr through GameAgent so I can be sure they get my cash ;) they supply the steam code on launch.

I'm happy to wait a couple of months to play to ensure great game development continues for years to come from the likes of Aspyr & Feral :apple:

Last edited:

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013

If that ever happens, the market is going to collapse, and you will be left with nothing.

Of course, it would also means no more threads and posts by you complaining, so it wouldn't be all bad.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

I don't understand your hatred against Steam. Sure, it's DRM. But it is that flexible and cross-compatible that I really don't notice the difference between it and a non-DRM game, other than you need a copy of Steam installed. That is literally the only difference.

But whatever. Differed strokes for different folks. For me, Steam means freedom to play my games on whatever system, with my saves and settings downloaded automatically for me.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
maybe blair can confirm, but i thought from one of edwin's feral posts, you need to buy it when there is a steamplay version on sale. buying a pc version will mean the money goes to the pc developer. by buying a steamplay version, if you play more than one version in the first month it gets split, if not it goes to the version you played.

This is an increasingly frequent question, so I'll lay it out in detail below.

Here is how it works when buying a game on Steam:

The sale defaults to whatever platform you've purchased on. Then a calculation occurs that tracks which platform you play most in the first 7 days after that purchase. If more play time occurs on a different platform, then the sale shifts over to the most played platform. Its a really smart/fair system. Note: mobile purchases always default to Windows if the game is not played in the first 7 days.

So to recap if you want to support Mac and Linux with your purchase on Steam:

1. Buy the game through your Mac or Linux Steam client.
2. Dont play it on any other platform in the first 7 days after your purchase.
3. If you bought it on your phone, play it on Mac or Linux within 7 days of purchase.

Or you can simply buy it on GameAgent, and don't worry about any of the above since all GameAgent sales benefit Aspyr directly :)

This is also the case for ANY other retailer. Example: if you buy the Windows version from say Amazon, you are supporting Windows regardless of whether you actually launch the game on that platform. Steam (and Humble Bundle) are currently the ONLY outlets that have platform detection.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
This is an increasingly frequent question, so I'll lay it out in detail below.

Here is how it works when buying a game on Steam:

The sale defaults to whatever platform you've purchased on. Then a calculation occurs that tracks which platform you play most in the first 7 days after that purchase. If more play time occurs on a different platform, then the sale shifts over to the most played platform. Its a really smart/fair system. Note: mobile purchases always default to Windows if the game is not played in the first 7 days.

So to recap if you want to support Mac and Linux with your purchase on Steam:

1. Buy the game through your Mac or Linux Steam client.
2. Dont play it on any other platform in the first 7 days after your purchase.
3. If you bought it on your phone, play it on Mac or Linux within 7 days of purchase.

Or you can simply buy it on GameAgent, and don't worry about any of the above since all GameAgent sales benefit Aspyr directly :)

This is also the case for ANY other retailer. Example: if you buy the Windows version from say Amazon, you are supporting Windows regardless of whether you actually launch the game on that platform. Steam (and Humble Bundle) are currently the ONLY outlets that have platform detection.

So... to be clear from what I read here...

If you buy a boxed version, or buy it in Steam on Windows... then you do NOT play the game for 2 months... then you play it for the first time, and only, on a Mac from that point... the money goes to the Mac developer, or is there some time limit between purchase and the first 7 days of playing? I realize you already commented on Mobile purchases.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Steam (and Humble Bundle) are currently the ONLY outlets that have platform detection.

Wow, really? Not even Greenmangaming? If I get a steam code from there and activate it on Steam for OS X and play it right away, that doesn't get you anything? That seems crazy...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.