Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Haha I'm just glad more and more people are reporting them bending. Mine is slightly bent and I don't care but it seems like there are a ton of fanboys on this forum, plus other Apple forums, that refuse to believe it.

As soon as somebody says they bent their phone the response is always "you shouldn't have sat on it."

I don't think anyone "refuses to believe it." Rather, I think we're just trying to figure out exactly what's happening so that we can avoid it ourselves. Problem is, if you ask any questions you get branded an "Apple fanboi who refuses to believe it" or worse an idiot or a troll.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
My friend keeps hers in her purse. Hers bent as well and had it replaced.

wow! These phones bend by just putting them in a purse.

Why the heck isn't this in the news? pursegate!

My wife once had some potato chips fall out in her purse, and when she took them out, they UNBROKEN!

So these phones are less solid than a potato chip! (At least in a purse).

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I have to say, I hope all the naysayers end up with bent iPhones. Can't wait to see the "I doubted the bending issue and now mine is bent" threads.

People think it can't happen and then it happens.

My iPhone was slightly twisted, so I twisted it back, but it was way too easy to do that. I can certainly understand how a pocket can put enought pressure on it to bend it out of shape.

I think baggy pants are worse because the iPhone can go fully sideways and your leg can act as a pivot point and as the jeans tighten from squatting down, the phone will try to wrap itself around your thigh.

----------

I don't think anyone "refuses to believe it." Rather, I think we're just trying to figure out exactly what's happening so that we can avoid it ourselves. Problem is, if you ask any questions you get branded an "Apple fanboi who refuses to believe it" or worse an idiot or a troll.

We constantly tell you how it happens. Use your head. Use logic. When we say it was in our pocket (that means the iPhone was placed inside our front pants pocket) and normal use means walking, sitting, doing everyday activities that we've all done with all of our previous phones.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
for the life of me I cannot understand why there are naysayers about bendgate.

as a customer.. wouldn't you want to have 0 doubt that there's any defect with your product?

if there is even 1 report of BMW caught on fire, I would MUCH RATHER BMW to recall it all and fix it than for BMW to cover it up.

can someone please explain me the logic??

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
We constantly tell you how it happens. Use your head. Use logic. When we say it was in our pocket (that means the iPhone was placed inside our front pants pocket) and normal use means walking, sitting, doing everyday activities that we've all done with all of our previous phones.

I am using logic. Are you? You've listed a range of possibilities but no specifics. That's the sticking point because we have just as many examples of people doing that same range of activities and not bending their phones. Without specifics it's impossible to say exactly what's happening. Your theory about pressure and pant material has some weight to it, but it begs the question as to why one wouldn't take their phone out of their pocket if they were putting that much force on it.

Lacking any valid rebuttal to that point you will now proceed to call me an idiot, a troll, an Apple apologist, likely on the Apple payroll and proceed to crow about putting me on ignore. Yawn.

Last edited:

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Under normal use the phone shouldn't bend. If you have it in a really tight pocket and it's uncomfortable or it's pressing hard against something then yeah it might been put under normal use it should be fine

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014

I would guess by this time, Apple Engineering (the entire team has probably been chained in the lab since this whole thing started) at this point knows exactly what is going on, and has several proposed fixes on the table. I wouldn't be surprised in the plan is already in motion to get these fixes out ASAP.

I would guess the fixes are:

1. Dope up the Al alloy a bit to stiffen it - shaves a few pennies off the profit margin but this is a drastic situation.

2. Get rid of the cutout for the logo - not sure they are going to do this because then non-bendy phones would be easily identifiable and everyone would be clamoring for an exchange, costing them a ton of money.

If they do #1 only, then they can just start putting those out immediately, leave the bendy phones out there, and then just replace bent ones as they come in. Probably only 20% of those (wild guess) will end up being brought in by customers within the warranty period - which is probably less than the number of return demands and the PR disaster that would happen if people started demanding replacements with the stronger phone because it was obvious which was which.

lichen86

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
These phones most definitely bend. I didn't believe it either. After 30 days I noticed my 6+ was very slightly bent. I never subjected my phone to abnormal use. I did carry it in my front pocket just as I carried my 3g, 4 and 5 without a single issue. All of these phones withstood normal day to day use in a pocket. Thankfully Apple agreed to replace it for me at no cost, and no I don't have Applecare. I can't say for sure how mine bent, but the only force of any consequence it endured was in my pocket. The same pockets that held my previous iPhones without issues. And no I don't wear tight clothes. I predict we will see a response from Apple within the next few months on this as we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg now.

YodasMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Mine has also bent. When placing my 6+ face downon a flat surface it can be rocked back and fourth between the top right and bottom left corners.

I agree with those that say it happens when the phone shifts sideways in your pocket causing your pants to put pressure on it while it wraps around your leg. This can happen while bending over to pick something up, getting into a car, tying your shoe etc.

Ive had every iPhone since the first iPhone and this is the first time I have had any issues like this.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
So, are you going to change your usage or get a different phone? Because the 6/6+ in your pocket isn't going to change.

Some people need multiple broken phones to learn this, apparently. Some can learn by glancing at a pic online, thinking to themselves, 'hmm, it's thin, maybe I need to be more careful with it'. It is what it is, if it isn't working for you, change something.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
So, are you going to change your usage or get a different phone? Because the 6/6+ in your pocket isn't going to change.

Some people need multiple broken phones to learn this, apparently. Some can learn by glancing at a pic online, thinking to themselves, 'hmm, it's thin, maybe I need to be more careful with it'. It is what it is, if it isn't working for you, change something.

It's not about being "more careful with it". You shouldn't have to think twice about sitting down with your iPhone in your SIDE POCKET. You shouldn't have to take it out of your pocket if you want to get in your car. Also, you could be extremely careful with it and still accidentally sit down or climb into a car with it in your pocket because we're conditioned to not have to worry about our phones being so weak that they'll break while doing the same things we've done for years.

Kinda depends on HOW you remove it, right?

I see what you did there, but I think he means "why should we have to remove it at all when we sit?" It's a mobile device, yet we're supposed to treat it like it's made to sit quietly on a desk without being used.

Sure, if I keep my iPhone face down on a table at all times, it's not going to bend, but I also want to be able to bring it with me because it's supposed to be convenient, not a burden.

DillonCawthon

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2014
Here's another, in this one I just sat my knife on the level so it would raise the other end showing that the back of the phone is not flat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 67

DillonCawthon

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2014
Take it to your closest Apple store and tell them your story. I just don't understand why people feel the need to tell the story on a 3rd party website and not get it replaced.

The closest Apple store to me is over an hour away, and I don't think they are getting many 128gb 6 pluses still. Like I've said before though, the slight bend doesn't bother me right now. I still like the phone.

I first noticed mine was bent about 10 days after I got it so I don't really see a point of getting it replaced if it's just going to do it again.

The reason I share my story is to try to convince some people on here that it happens. It's proving to be pretty difficult haha.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
The reason I share my story is to try to convince some people on here that it happens. It's proving to be pretty difficult haha.

Too many people walking around with their head in the sand. "No, I saw the video... It takes to much pressure at a single point to bend. That would never happen in your pants pocket...." I don't think anyone who has said their phone bent in their pants pocket is claiming to have bent it as far as the ones in the original bend-gate videos. It bends a little bit and can be something you can live with (for now) if it's inconvenient to replace at this time. For me, I wasn't happy and wanted a new one. I'm trying to change how I handle this phone but my expectations going forward with new phones won't change. I expect them to stay straight during normal day to day use.

The fact of the matter is millions of people carry cell phones in their pants pockets. It's not unreasonable to expect any phone that fits in your pocket to go in and come out straight, just like cell phones have been doing for 15-20 years. The iPhone 6+ is failing to do that. I'm not saying anything bad about the phone or Apple. I'm stating facts.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
The closest Apple store to me is over an hour away, and I don't think they are getting many 128gb 6 pluses still. Like I've said before though, the slight bend doesn't bother me right now. I still like the phone.

I first noticed mine was bent about 10 days after I got it so I don't really see a point of getting it replaced if it's just going to do it again.

No one is debating that bending isn't happening. What I think we are debating is the "I didn't do anything. The phone just bent on it's own."

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
3 weeks out of next 2 years, give it time.

how can it bend? just like how any thinly piece of aluminum would. I almost bend mine last night when I accidentally feel asleep on it. Thank god I don't weight a lot and am a light sleeper.

Lol. How do you know you almost bent it? It either bent or it did not. You would have no idea how close you were to causing a bend.

dels

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
So the claim is that:

The phone was straight to begin with.

The user put the phone in a pocket, like they would with any mobile device.

Conducted their normal daily activities which may include repeated sitting/standing/crouching/moving and removing the phone from the pocket over a period of time.

After that time, the phone was not straight.

There is no recollection of any bumping, prying or impacts that may have cause the deformation.

shp4brains

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
Take it to your closest Apple store and tell them your story. I just don't understand why people feel the need to tell the story on a 3rd party website and not get it replaced.

The same reason people feel the need to tell the people who should be telling the 2nd party but chose to come here and tell the 3rd party that they shouldn't tell the 3rd party their story.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
http://www.oneofthenine.com/

Ask any of these people.. List of reported cases getting bigger daily. These are reported so you know how that goes, always more not reported. Mine bent just being in my front pocket with me kneeling down in my loose work pants. Of course I have been called a liar many times over but hey whatever. Keep track of that website it's kind of crazy.

That website only has less than 300 examples out of 20+ million iPhones sold, which is statistically insignificant. Also these are not "reported" cases - in most cases the site admin combs social media (twitter, facebook, reddit, etc.) to find cases of bent phones and posts them on their site themselves.

I'm not saying that they don't bend (because there is enough photographic evidence to support they can regardless of circumstances), but I would think oneofthenine.com would be able to find a lot more examples in this social media age we live in if it was that widespread an issue.

My bigger concern is that Apple seems to be inconsistent with people whether they will replace bent phones under warranty or not. Some have reported they were replaced without a fuss, but others are being told they need to pay for an OOW replacement.

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
hey guys
i have been using my iPhone 6 for 3 weeks now and it's straight as hell...no signs of any deformation. And yes, it's been in my front pocket most of the time.
I'm starting to wonder how anyone could bend their iPhone 6 under normal usage. To be honest, I can't think of any way how this could possibly happen

Unless your extremely negligent with the device or bend it on purpose, no you cannot bend it through normal use. Now or years from now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.