Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
Unless your extremely negligent with the device or bend it on purpose, no you cannot bend it through normal use. Now or years from now.

You're so full of it and have no idea what you're talking about. I was not "extremely negligent" with my phone. It bent fairly easily from being in my front pocket.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
lets pretend 10,000 phones have bent even though that sketchy site oneofnine onl has about 250 posts(some that are totally bogus)

that would be 0.1% of 10M phones and they have sold more than 10M phones

so how is this any evidence of an issue

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
You're so full of it and have no idea what you're talking about. I was not "extremely negligent" with my phone. It bent fairly easily from being in my front pocket.

Really? I can swear I own an iPhone 6 Plus and so do other people I know. We all keep them in our pockets since launch day and there not bent yet. I pay no extra special care to this phone than I did for any other iPhone I have owned.

----------

lets pretend 10,000 phones have bent even though that sketchy site oneofnine onl has about 250 posts(some that are totally bogus)

that would be 0.1% of 10M phones and they have sold more than 10M phones

so how is this any evidence of an issue

Bingo! Given how many iPhones are sold if this was the startling epidemic that it is being made out to be it would be a far, far greater deal.

The website is unverifiable evidence of nothing.

iceperson

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
Really? I can swear I own an iPhone 6 Plus and so do other people I know. We all keep them in our pockets since launch day and there not bent yet. I pay no extra special care to this phone than I did for any other iPhone I have owned.

If you carry it in your front jeans pocket then the question is not if your phone will bend or not, it's whether you'll be big enough to admit it here when it does or if you'll just crawl under a rock somewhere. I don't suppose it matters really... :D

BriOS

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Wow. Ok so let me break this down for the slow people. Its not baggy jeans and front pocket usage...

Its skinny jeans and back pocket usage. Think about it. You have an already tight pocket and you jam your iphone 6+ in there. Then your (assuming) 110lbs atleast body sits on said pocket/iphone combo and it flexes. Look at the pic below and tell me if you think the phone wont bend. Short of preteen girls, most everyone I know is over 70bs....

iPhone-6-Plus-Pocket-Selects.jpg
2378a86d-ab3e-4141-a2b2-28dac4cd04e5-1020x612.jpeg

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

Still on this?

Hey, normal usage can be anything. But just having your phone in your normal front pocket will not bend the phone.

Now...say you bumped your phone on a door/wall etc...which you didn't remember. Would that count as normal usage?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
It's not about being "more careful with it". You shouldn't have to think twice about sitting down with your iPhone in your SIDE POCKET. You shouldn't have to take it out of your pocket if you want to get in your car. Also, you could be extremely careful with it and still accidentally sit down or climb into a car with it in your pocket because we're conditioned to not have to worry about our phones being so weak that they'll break while doing the same things we've done for years.

I see what you did there, but I think he means "why should we have to remove it at all when we sit?" It's a mobile device, yet we're supposed to treat it like it's made to sit quietly on a desk without being used.

Sure, if I keep my iPhone face down on a table at all times, it's not going to bend, but I also want to be able to bring it with me because it's supposed to be convenient, not a burden.
I understand that it isn't as strong as some other phones, and it's fine that people are disappointed. But...you are still the person, right? Skynet hasn't taken over thought for you, yet? :eek: "Shouldn't have to think"?? You seriously want to be on record saying those words?

Many products are more or less fragile than other products. Treat them appropriately, up to and including not buying them if you can't handle "fragile". It's called maturity.

ps: My son's iPad Mini is bent. Not sure what he did, but it was something. Still works, glass didn't break, I think it's about a 10deg angle.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
Still on this?

Hey, normal usage can be anything. But just having your phone in your normal front pocket will not bend the phone. ?

Yes it does and if it hasn't happened to you yet it doesn't mean it can't in the future. I can't wait to hear about all these people that cry "You can't bend your phone that way..." when it does happen to them. I'm not saying it will happen to everyone. I'm saying it will happen to some. Why do I feel like someone trying to prove that grass is green? I am VERY CAREFUL with my phones and had no reasonable expectation that my phone would bend from keeping it in my front pocket when I got into my car, sat at my desk or did other normal day to day activities.

How much more proof do people need before they believe phones are bending like this? I seriously feel sorry for how naive people are. Maybe naive isn't even the right word. I guess some are but others are going out of their way to try to discredit and attack others because they have bent phones. Why? What's the point? Your phones not bent then good for you. If you don't believe they can bend then go bury your head in the sand and enjoy life.

Last edited:

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.

----------

Bingo! Given how many iPhones are sold if this was the startling epidemic that it is being made out to be it would be a far, far greater deal.

The website is unverifiable evidence of nothing.

So if this 21 g heavier 6+ story is true; why would Apple incur all the cost and the hit to their reputation as a company that only designs, tests, and manufactures quality products for just 10,000 phones that people bent by abusing them?

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
So if this 21 g heavier 6+ story is true; why would Apple incur all the cost and the hit to their reputation as a company that only designs, tests, and manufactures quality products for just 10,000 phones that people bent by abusing them?

Exactly! If I dropped my phone and cracked my screen, Apple will replace it, for a fee. I bent my phone and Apple replaced it for free. Can they naysayers explain that one?

Attachments

• apple work order.JPG
    apple work order.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 83

iceperson

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
Exactly! If I dropped my phone and cracked my screen, Apple will replace it, for a fee. I bent my phone and Apple replaced it for free. Can they naysayers explain that one?

What's funny is your join date is too early for them to use their favorite retort. It's a little sad when the deniers have to try to use logic. The best they can come up with is "don't sit on it"...

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Yes it does and if it hasn't happened to you yet it doesn't mean it can't in the future. I can't wait to hear about all these people that cry "You can't bend your phone that way..." when it does happen to them. I'm not saying it will happen to everyone. I'm saying it will happen to some. Why do I feel like someone trying to prove that grass is green? I am VERY CAREFUL with my phones and had no reasonable expectation that my phone would bend from keeping it in my front pocket when I got into my car, sat at my desk or did other normal day to day activities.

How much more proof do people need before they believe phones are bending like this? I seriously feel sorry for how naive people are. Maybe naive isn't even the right word. I guess some are but others are going out of their way to try to discredit and attack others because they have bent phones. Why? What's the point? Your phones not bent then good for you. If you don't believe they can bend then go bury your head in the sand and enjoy life.

That is the problem. There hasn't been any proof to justify saying there is a defect.

Just because you bent your phone doesn't mean that a lot of other people will have the same issue. I am just crunching the numbers from phones sold versus 'quasi reports of bending' which don't scream design defect.

And who was attacked?

Not sure how you can get that from my comments.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I understand that it isn't as strong as some other phones, and it's fine that people are disappointed. But...you are still the person, right? Skynet hasn't taken over thought for you, yet? :eek: "Shouldn't have to think"?? You seriously want to be on record saying those words?

Many products are more or less fragile than other products. Treat them appropriately, up to and including not buying them if you can't handle "fragile". It's called maturity.

ps: My son's iPad Mini is bent. Not sure what he did, but it was something. Still works, glass didn't break, I think it's about a 10deg angle.

What about people who don't follow Apple news? They may not know that they are supposed to keep this version of the iPhone OUT of their pocket.

There's nothing on the packaging that says this device should not be placed inside pockets if you're sitting or bending down.

It's a mobile device and everyone is GOING TO PUT IT IN THEIR POCKETS. That's what you do with cell phones.

I shouldn't have to worry about getting into my car and being like "oh crap! I haven't taken my phone out of my pocket yet! I hope it didn't bend!" That's not the way I want to live.

----------

Odd comment to make. But to each his own.

Now back on topic.....

I still haven't seen any proof that carrying your phone in your front pocket will cause bending.

Seems to me that anyone really wanting to prove this is true could design a test that would put the average phone under stress testing to see if and when bending will occur and go from there.

The only 3rd party test that has been done was by Consumer Reports which concluded that all the phones tested were pretty tough.

Just looking at the facts.

At which point did the phone NOT spring back to it's original shape? My phone was twisted slightly and it STAYED THAT WAY.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
What about people who don't follow Apple news? They may not know that they are supposed to keep this version of the iPhone OUT of their pocket.

There's nothing on the packaging that says this device should not be placed inside pockets if you're sitting or bending down.

It's a mobile device and everyone is GOING TO PUT IT IN THEIR POCKETS. That's what you do with cell phones.

I shouldn't have to worry about getting into my car and being like "oh crap! I haven't taken my phone out of my pocket yet! I hope it didn't bend!" That's not the way I want to live..

I posted this earlier... When antenna-gate happened you heard "You're holding it wrong" and yet I haven't heard Apple say "Don't put it in your pocket." I wonder why... Maybe that's an unreasonable expectation and Apple would rather replace bent phones (for free) quietly and maybe work on fixing the issue on their end, rather than freak people the F out by saying they didn't do the best job of designing a phone to stand up to normal usage and expectations of their customers.

Again I challenge anyone who says phones are not bending due to "normal" usage to answer this question. Why is Apple replacing them for free if the damage is done from reckless or abusive use? See my repair work order a few posts up. I do not have Apple Care and my phone was replaced for free. Why would they do that? Do they feel sorry for me? If I cracked my screen would they do the same? The answer is no. They are replacing them because they know they shouldn't bend and yet they are bending.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
Odd comment to make. But to each his own.

Now back on topic.....

I still haven't seen any proof that carrying your phone in your front pocket will cause bending.

Just looking at the facts.

I have not seen proof that hitting a pothole with my car will cause the front end to be misaligned. However, when I notice uneven tread wear on my front tires indicating my front end is misaligned, I make an educated inference that the accumulative effect of hitting many potholes, or one large one, caused the damage.

Now if I drive a HUMMER H1/H2, I have an expectation that I shouldn't have to worry about running over potholes. Similarly, when I buy the most expensive (and arguably the highest quality) phone on the planet, I shouldn't have to worry about carrying the phone in my pocket.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
hey guys
i have been using my iPhone 6 for 3 weeks now and it's straight as hell...no signs of any deformation. And yes, it's been in my front pocket most of the time.
I'm starting to wonder how anyone could bend their iPhone 6 under normal usage. To be honest, I can't think of any way how this could possibly happen

You can't.
Period.

----------

If the phone slides at an angle (or worse case sideways) in your front pocket and you bend down. Your thigh becomes the fulcrum point and the pants material on each end apply the force. With a phone as long as the 6/6+, baggy pants become a liability; tight pants may be better as the phone probably won't turn sideways.

You would feel that uncomfortable pressure before start damaging the phone itself...

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I have not seen proof that hitting a pothole with my car will cause the front end to be misaligned. However, when I notice uneven tread wear on my front tires indicating my front end is misaligned, I make an educated inference that the accumulative effect of hitting many potholes, or one large one, caused the damage.

Now if I drive a HUMMER H1/H2, I have an expectation that I shouldn't have to worry about running over potholes. Similarly, when I buy the most expensive (and arguably the highest quality) phone on the planet, I shouldn't have to worry about carrying the phone in my pocket.

And you don't have to worry about putting the iPhone 6 in in your pocket.
Like I said, there is no proof that carrying the phone in your pocket causes bending.

Since you want to play the car analogy game, there have been several tests and studies don't on the the effects of potholes on cars. It is not just hearsay. And by your own admission you are saying that you hit one or many pot holes which are not normal driving conditions. So that kinda defeats your point.

btw - If you want to reply to my comment, leave the comment unedited.

And can we stay on topic with the comments.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
It happened to my brothers phone, developed a slight wobble. Normal use, no abuse. Happened to my 6+. I didn't think it would seeing how sturdy the phone feels, but again, developed a wobble and I've kept it in a Apple leather case since day one. I have no idea how it happened, but it's there.

No INTENTIONALLY abuse...

----------

Sure, if you make up your own definition of "normal usage" you can justify any amount of manufacturer's defect. The Ford Pinto didn't explode under "normal usage" either, it was only when rear ended. That doesn't mean Ford didn't payout a boatload of cash in damages and repairs. In most markets manufacturers can't just say "Well don't get in a car wreck and our cars won't explode." Can you imagine Apple trying to explain that if users didn't put a cell phone in their pocket then it wouldn't get bent to a judge/jury? That would be funny to watch...

Except you are not going to bend any iPhone just by keeping it in your pocket.
So wrong useless example...

----------

the issue is.. 70-90lb of force is NOT hard to achieve. How Apple engineer didn't see this is absolutely pathetic.

iPhone 5 was able to withstand twice the force and so are majority of other phones. I predict 6S will be redesigned (at least internally) to withstand more forces

What do you know about "the majority of other phones"??? Only five models were tested, and the one considered "sturdy", the HTC M8, required exactly the same force of iPhone 6 to bend.

----------

You can say all that stuff. But there's probably tens of millions of people holding off and deciding against iPhone6/6+ until Apple addresses the issue. Even little kids and old people know now that iPhone bends.

Like it or not, iPhones are selling like hot cakes.
Bend discussions are just fuel for forum's nerd flames.
The real people out there are enjoying their iPhones.

----------

I sit down with my phone in my pocket. It's now bent.

My friend keeps hers in her purse. Hers bent as well and had it replaced.

It's a thin piece of aluminuum. This isn't rocket science.

So are you really saying that your friend's phone magically bent by itself in her pursue? Seriously?
Please read again your post.....

----------

I apologize if I derailed your same circular argument. But what is the point if you can't understand that the phone bends in pockets for some people? No one can PROVE it bends in their pockets. They put it in unbent, they went about their day standing up and sitting down, it came out bent. If you can't understand that, it is on you ;)

Just show me one video showing an iPhone bent by putting in a pocket. Just one video.....

dels

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
While I do not see the phone bending by JUST putting it in a front pants pocket, I can see a scenario where it could happen by just sitting in a chair.

For instance, if your pants are loose and the pockets are large enough, the phone could end up resting toward the side of your leg when you take a seat.

If you happen to sit in a chair with armrest supports that line up perpendicularly to the phone then there is a chance that leaning toward/on the armrest could put pressure on the phone.

This scenario happens to me everyday at the office. Fortunately for me, I find the phone sitting on the side of my leg uncomfortable, so I almost always shift it back up to the top of my leg right away.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
But mine is bent very slightly from pulling it out of its case

Even better.... Are you saying you bent an iPhone just by pulling it out of its case?
This thread is amazing

----------

I have to say, I hope all the naysayers end up with bent iPhones. Can't wait to see the "I doubted the bending issue and now mine is bent" threads.

People think it can't happen and then it happens.

My iPhone was slightly twisted, so I twisted it back, but it was way too easy to do that. I can certainly understand how a pocket can put enought pressure on it to bend it out of shape.

I think baggy pants are worse because the iPhone can go fully sideways and your leg can act as a pivot point and as the jeans tighten from squatting down, the phone will try to wrap itself around your thigh.

----------

We constantly tell you how it happens. Use your head. Use logic. When we say it was in our pocket (that means the iPhone was placed inside our front pants pocket) and normal use means walking, sitting, doing everyday activities that we've all done with all of our previous phones.

I just saw people saying "my iPhone bent and I don't know why".
Not a single, even vague demonstration it bent because it was defective....

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

I dunno, maybe they could look at it?

Clearly, we have fundamental differences about how to approach life. My iPhone 4 has zero scratches on either glass (all original), pretty sure my 6 will be the same throughout my ownership of it, as well.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
for the life of me I cannot understand why there are naysayers about bendgate.

as a customer.. wouldn't you want to have 0 doubt that there's any defect with your product?

if there is even 1 report of BMW caught on fire, I would MUCH RATHER BMW to recall it all and fix it than for BMW to cover it up.

can someone please explain me the logic??
The logic is: we use the iPhone 6, we can touch it every day, and we know it can't bend by itself.
The day someone will show me an iPhone bending in a pocket, I will change my opinion....

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun
The logic is: we use the iPhone 6, we can touch it every day, and we know it can't bend by itself.
The day someone will show me an iPhone bending in a pocket, I will change my opinion....

And how is someone going to show you that exactly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.