Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyespii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Thinking about getting the following rMBP - am I getting a good deal?

- late 2013 15.4" retina MBP, opened but never used. With box/accessories.
- 2.6ghz i7, 16gb ram, 512gb SSD
- GT750m video card
- applecare through early 2017

price: $1650 cash

Anything I need to verify before the purchase? Thanks!!

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Based of the refurb model from Apple (2.3GHz version), they have it prices around $2000 + tax. The fact that it is 1650 tax free + extended apple care, I would say its a pretty good deal. Make sure it is not password protected, check for any dents and scratches, verify the applecare coverage via Apple's website using the serial number, make sure the hardware specs match, their proof of purchase and/or box is a plus, and if anyone has anything else to suggest?

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
Buying from Craigslist should raise some red flags. Ask to meet someplace where you can test it out.

eyespii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Yeah, I am planning to meet somewhere public, like at the mall/starbucks to test everything out. Will definitely power the thing up and double check the specs. I checked the SN he gave me and the applecare warranty matches with what he said too.

ano0oj

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
honestly, i would have them meet you at an Apple store and have one of the guys run tests on it and make sure it isn't reported stolen OR if it belongs to someone else other than the seller.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
It's raising serious red flags for me.

Unfortunately you can't check if it's been bought on credit.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
Before buying it make a list of what you need to check out to make sure the laptop is working 101%

do a screen test, check if theres a firmware password, test the wifi and bluetooth, test all the keys, etc2x

meet at a public place
meet at a place that has both power and wifi
take your time in testing the laptop, seriously, dont rush it.

$1650 isnt any small amount. and it seems like a good deal with warranty.

good luck!

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Just curious what makes it raise red flags?

It doesn't raise any red flags. Many on here are Craigslist phobic and because it is on Craigslist, it raises a red flag. Are there scammers on CL? Sure, but if the serial number matches, meet the person at a Starbucks, test everything out and if it's good, then you've found a deal. No one selling a machine on CL is going to take the time to meet you at an Apple store and wait while test are performed on the machine.

It's Craigslist, there is always a degree of risk but the reward is, it usually saves you a good bit of money. If you aren't willing to take the slight risk that Craigslist presents, then I would recommend spending more and ordering from Apple.

nobodyjustwalks

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
It's too cheap.

You know what they say about something that looks like it's too good to be true?

+1

Iʻve sold many an old computer on Craigslist. But I have to agree, the price seems a bit low for a high end configuration. With Apple Care, and without a student discount, or sale pricing, youʻd have to shell out $2848.00, and the only difference is 0.1 GHz in processor speed when compared to the 2014 models.

Unless the seller is desperate for cash, why sell a new laptop that easily is $2600-$2900 brand new, for $1600?? Doesnʻt make sense.

Hope it works out for you and he/she just needed the cash or received it as a present and is selling it.

luckyfoot15

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
Remember those used car commercials where they're like "new interior" ... it means the old interior was damaged and needed to be repaired or replaced.

There's a listing on Ebay right now that is similarly misleading. Seller states "It still runs great, and is in GREAT condition (Even Apple Store employees have said so when I've had them look at it!)."

I got suspicious and asked why it was taken in to the store...turns out it had warranty repair work performed. You don't see that in the description...

Always follow your intuition.

Last edited:

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Yeah, I am planning to meet somewhere public, like at the mall/starbucks to test everything out. Will definitely power the thing up and double check the specs. I checked the SN he gave me and the applecare warranty matches with what he said too.

No, bring it to Police Dept... If the seller refuses then it is a stolen. :apple:

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Bought a $3000 cMBP in 2013 for $1450 - it was 5 months old. Selling it two years later for $1400 (hopefully)

:)

I like CL

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Sometimes "sellers" that want to rob you at gunpoint will sell something expensive so you'll arrive with lots of cash. Always say you want to meet in a Starbucks or similar, if they don't want to, forgettaboutit.

I rather get a new MBP or refurb.

StockDC2

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
Meet at the Apple Store. With iCloud being able to lock computers remotely, you may end up with a paper weight if the device is stolen.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
I'm very surprised no one mentioned to ask to see his purchase receipt?

There are many scams out there like this one: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1772567/

I'd also ask to see the AppleCare receipt.

If the seller can't produce the receipts in his name (check his license), I'd walk away.

Last edited:

eyespii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Meet at the Apple Store. With iCloud being able to lock computers remotely, you may end up with a paper weight if the device is stolen.

If the computer has been wiped and factory restored, can they still invoke iCloud to do a remote lock??

----------

I'm very surprised no one mentioned to ask to see his purchase receipt?

There are many scams out there like this one: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1772567/

I'd also ask to see the AppleCare receipt.

If the seller can't produce the receipts in his name (check his license), I'd walk away.

If i verify the AppleCare status on the apple support site via the S/N, would that be enough? The website Confirms that the warranty is valid and good.

----------

Before buying it make a list of what you need to check out to make sure the laptop is working 101%

do a screen test, check if theres a firmware password, test the wifi and bluetooth, test all the keys, etc2x

meet at a public place
meet at a place that has both power and wifi
take your time in testing the laptop, seriously, dont rush it.

$1650 isnt any small amount. and it seems like a good deal with warranty.

good luck!

How do you test if there is a firmware password?

stagmeister

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2004
Go ahead... buy it. If there is a problem, you can always sell it on Craigs List

That's horrible advice.

Make sure to meet in a public place to test out the computer. Starbucks is good, but even better is an Apple Store. You can set up a Genius Bar appointment in advance to have them do diagnostics on the computer. Make sure to check:

- That there is no firmware password (or you can set one yourself) - you want full control of the hardware.

- That it is not stolen (based on serial number, and checking with Apple to see proof of purchase). If the computer is already "second hand" (i.e. the person you are buying from got it from someone else), don't get it no matter how good the price is.

- That it is in good working order. This means that it will have the same specs as what the seller claims, and that it works well. You may want to run diagnostic tests such as from Tech Tools Pro to see the state of the SSD, memory, screen, etc.

If you do end up getting the computer, make sure you get full documentation of the sale (a real receipt with date, purchase price, seller's information - driver's license, date of birth, address, etc.) as well as the seller's documentation (their receipt from when they purchased it from Apple).

eyespii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
That's horrible advice.

Make sure to meet in a public place to test out the computer. Starbucks is good, but even better is an Apple Store. You can set up a Genius Bar appointment in advance to have them do diagnostics on the computer. Make sure to check:

- That there is no firmware password (or you can set one yourself) - you want full control of the hardware.

- That it is not stolen (based on serial number, and checking with Apple to see proof of purchase). If the computer is already "second hand" (i.e. the person you are buying from got it from someone else), don't get it no matter how good the price is.

- That it is in good working order. This means that it will have the same specs as what the seller claims, and that it works well. You may want to run diagnostic tests such as from Tech Tools Pro to see the state of the SSD, memory, screen, etc.

If you do end up getting the computer, make sure you get full documentation of the sale (a real receipt with date, purchase price, seller's information - driver's license, date of birth, address, etc.) as well as the seller's documentation (their receipt from when they purchased it from Apple).

How do you check/disable the firmware password?

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
how does someone have a '13 rMBP that has never been used and they are selling it for a huge discount? My guess is it is stolen but that is just odd.

and with it having applecare to early '17, that means someone has had it for 6 months or so and never used it?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
How do you check/disable the firmware password?

Hold down the Option/Alt key on the keyboard during the startup chime. If there is a firmware password, the screen would be the same as the one in the image I attached. If it asks you to type in the EFI password, force the seller to type it in, boot into the Recovery Partition, and from there, navigate to Utilities → Firmware Password Utility and turn it off.

And also make sure that there is no iCloud lock password on it. I've come across some poor chap when the ******* he purchased it from used iCloud to remotely lock the MBP and forced the purchaser to pay up more to get it unlocked.

The easiest way to do this is upon successful startup and login, immediately do a clean install. Make sure the Mac is not connected to the internet at all via wifi or Ethernet. Take it totally off the grid. Use a second Mac to download Yosemite off the Mac App Store. Then, use DiskMaker X to build a bootable Yosemite OS X installer onto an external USB stick. Then, plug the USB stick into the first Mac (the one purchased off CL) and hold down Option upon startup. Select the external USB stick and boot from it.

Then from there, select Disk Utility and erase the internal SSD. After that, install a fresh copy of Yosemite onto it.

Attachments

• 298957_532108983479978_2136714225_n.jpg
    298957_532108983479978_2136714225_n.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 11.47.20 am.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 11.47.20 am.png
    500.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
That's horrible advice.

Holy moly ... If it were me selling a MBP on CL, and any potential buyer asked to see my driver's license, DOB, etc., then I'd refuse. I don't give a lot of that stuff on credit card apps, and certainly don't provide ALL of it, so there is no way I would give it to a stranger that contacted me as a result of an ad I had placed on CL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.