Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doftin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Hi guys,
I have very interesting story to share with you and I need your suggestions.

I got brand new MacBook Pro Retina (Mid 2014) as a gift and it was base model. I went to nearest Apple store, I told them I got this as a gift and I want to change it with higher model, I also mentioned that, I didn't have any receipt or information about it, my uncle bought it from Craigslist and asked them what are my options. Apple store told me that, you are still in 14 days return period but you need to return it to Apple.com because it was bought from apple website and suggest me to call Apple care and they also gave me the Web order id. I called the AppleCare and explained everything, they told me no worries, it is still 14 days return period, they will issue me a gift card which would be $2070 when they get the computer and they sent my personal e-mail a return label.

After computer delivered back to Apple, nobody called or emailed and I started to call them everyday to get information about return status they put notes to account and They told me they would issue a gift card as soon as possible and I shouldn't worry about it. Today I finally wanted to talked manager and she told me that they will not send me a gift card because the computer that I returned was replacement and the person who sold it to us, should have returned it back to Apple.

Then I said, I took this computer Applestore and I also talked with costumer service like 3 times before I sent it back to Apple and I explained everything, why you didn't tell me tha till you got the computer, they said sorry we need to got it back and call your police department. I was like is this some kind of joke!!

Right now, I don't know what to do, we tried to reach the guy who sold it but no luck. My uncle paid it $1700, Basically Apple played with us very well at this point.

I need your suggestions guys?

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Hi guys,
I have very interesting story to share with you and I need your suggestions.

I got brand new MacBook Pro Retina (Mid 2014) as a gift and it was base model. I went to nearest Apple store, I told them I got this as a gift and I want to change it with higher model, I also mentioned that, I didn't have any receipt or information about it, my uncle bought it from Craigslist and asked them what are my options. Apple store told me that, you are still in 14 days return period but you need to return it to Apple.com because it was bought from apple website and suggest me to call Apple care and they also gave me the Web order id. I called the AppleCare and explained everything, they told me no worries, it is still 14 days return period, they will issue me a gift card which would be $2070 when they get the computer and they sent my personal e-mail a return label.

After computer delivered back to Apple, nobody called or emailed and I started to call them everyday to get information about return status they put notes to account and They told me they would issue a gift card as soon as possible and I shouldn't worry about it. Today I finally wanted to talked manager and she told me that they will not send me a gift card because the computer that I returned was replacement and the person who sold it to us, should have returned it back to Apple.

Then I said, I took this computer Applestore and I also talked with costumer service like 3 times before I sent it back to Apple and I explained everything, why you didn't tell me tha till you got the computer, they said sorry we need to got it back and call your police department. I was like is this some kind of joke!!

Right now, I don't know what to do, we tried to reach the guy who sold it but no luck. My uncle paid it $1700, Basically Apple played with us very well at this point.

I need your suggestions guys?

Do you have a tracking number for it, how was it shipped back? And I don't see why the Apple Store wouldn't take it back, Apple Stores always take returns on purchases... At least me local Apple Store does.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
damn! That is really screwed up! That is why when you purchase such high value items...always ask for the receipt! Dont you have the original seller's mobile number ?

doftin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Yes I do have tracking number, AppleCare sent prepaid shipping label to my personal e-mail. Computer delivered Apple on Wed 09/03 and I spoke customer service like 5 times after that and every time they were like oh don't worry don't worry it will take sometime to get your gift card . Finally Manager said that they already knew it had problems but they didn't tell me that till they got it. I was so clear on my side, and I never thought Apple would do such a thing like that. Who can think Apple would do. They really cheated on me, this computer wasn't stolen so why they didn't try to get money from the buyer rather than fooling me?
I also have seller mobile phone number but he doesn't answer nor respond texts.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
That's pretty slimy, I would be calling non stop and escalating this to get it resolved.

Why was a base model retina MBP $1700 on craigslist? Why wouldn't that guy return it himself instead of selling it for a $300 loss to your uncle?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
There's something missing here…
Uncle bought MBPro on Craigs list, then gave it to OP.
It's still very new (less than 14 days), so return for an upgrade.
Apple offers to provide a gift card for the return, so OP returns it.
Apple now discovers out that returned MBPro was an advance replacement, and the original owner should have returned it to Apple, and not sold it.
So, original owner sold a MBPro that actually belonged to Apple.
And, now Apple has it.
The original owner scammed you out of your (uncle's) money.

With the extremely short time in multiple transactions, I seriously think that's not Apple's fault. They may have not had any way to find out about a missing return until the OP shipped the missing MBPro back to them.

A scam selling stolen (misappropriated/whatever) goods on craig's list. Never heard of that happening before… <sarcasm>

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Apple now discovers out that returned MBPro was an advance replacement, and the original owner should have returned it to Apple, and not sold it.
And, now Apple has it.

With the extremely short time in multiple transactions, I seriously think that's not Apple's fault. They may have not had any way to find out about a missing return until the OP shipped the missing MBPro back to them.

A scam selling stolen (misappropriated/whatever) goods on craig's list. Never heard of that happening before… <sarcasm>

I agree. The OP's beef is not with Apple, but with the scumbag who sold what amounts to a stolen MBP to his uncle.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
And, now Apple has it.

So are you saying that the guy requested a replacement, received a new one and sold his old one?

What makes no sense is why was this not found out at the Apple store when they ran the serial number? They said it was within the 14 days.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
There’s got to be more to the story.

The only thing I can see that happened is the craigslist guy bought a computer within 14 days ago, and then called Apple for a replacement saying it was damaged.

I guess he was shipped a new computer and was expected to return the old one, but instead he sold it on craigslist.

If it was theft Apple has this guys details and everything. He basically stole from Apple and OP, so they will care.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
The only thing I can see that happened is the craigslist guy bought a computer within 14 days ago, and then called Apple for a replacement saying it was damaged.

I guess he was shipped a new computer and was expected to return the old one, but instead he sold it on craigslist.

If it was theft Apple has this guys details and everything. He basically stole from Apple and OP, so they will care.

If that’s really what happened (I'm skeptical), then shame on Apple for not getting a credit card or some other form of security or guarantee before shipping a $2000+ computer to anyone.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
If that’s really what happened (I'm skeptical), then shame on Apple for not getting a credit card or some other form of security or guarantee before shipping a $2000+ computer to anyone.

I'm skeptical too, although unless he's smart Apple might have info on the guy, never know.

Also wouldn't Apple wait until they received the old one from the buyer until shipping a replacement to someone? To prevent the old one from getting stolen?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That was my first thought as well. But in OP's words it was a "replacement" not a loaner computer.

Also why wasn't this discovered at the Apple store when he first went in?

possible scenario: Original owner requested to return a new MBPro. Apple shipped out an advanced replacement MBPro. Original owner sold the first MBPro on Craig's list - so has both a new MBPro, and the OP's (uncle's) money.
Now, Apple would exercise care when offering to return a unit (that belongs to them anyway), and would not likely tell the OP that the unit was likely stolen, and maybe Apple cannot tell the caller that a unit is stolen, unless they can prove that they are the rightful owner, and the OP can't say that.
Anyway, those points fit the scenario, IMHO.
And, with apparently less than 14 days total, perhaps the store's systems don't get updated that quickly.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I'm skeptical too, although unless he's smart Apple might have info on the guy, never know.

Also wouldn't Apple wait until they received the old one from the buyer until shipping a replacement to someone? To prevent the old one from getting stolen?

That was my point. I've done some of these "cross shipment" exchanges with companies in the past. They ALWAYS a require a credit card. And the run a hold against my credit line to protect themselves. They typically release the hold when they receive their product.

doftin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013

This is very good point which I don't understand. And also why Applestore and AppleCare didn't mentioned that this is a replacement and they can't offer any refunds and this needs to be sent back to Apple? Both checked the serials and as I said manager admitted that they knew the situation before they got the computer.But they didn't share it till they have it. I don't even wanna talk about that cheap a.hole who sold this computer to my uncle.
And my other question, Apple has all of his information and why they don't try to get their money back from that guy rather than fooling me like that ? So this guy had new computer from Apple and money from my uncle and he is safe. Apple knew the situation but they will not do anything because somehow they had their computer back ? This is really ridiculous

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
This is very good point which I don't understand. And also why Applestore and AppleCare didn't mentioned that this is a replacement and they can't offer any refunds and this needs to be sent back to Apple? Both checked the serials and as I said manager admitted that they knew the situation before they got the computer.But they didn't share it till they have it. I don't even wanna talk about that cheap a.hole who sold this computer to my uncle.
And my other question, Apple has all of his information and why they don't try to get their money back from that guy rather than fooling me like that ? So this guy had new computer from Apple and money from my uncle and he is safe. Apple knew the situation but they will not do anything because somehow they had their computer back ? This is really ridiculous

If you have decided this is a theft I would report it to Apple. They would have information on this guy if they trusted him with the new computer before receiving his old one (which he sold to you instead), which is exactly why they would have credit info on him.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
does apple even do advance replacement? i have RMA my macbook pro before and they only ship out my new mbp when they receive my old one.

and if they do advance replacement, wouldn't they have that guy's credit card information on file first? this is industry standard practice, there has to be more story than that.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
That was my point. I've done some of these "cross shipment" exchanges with companies in the past. They ALWAYS a require a credit card. And the run a hold against my credit line to protect themselves. They typically release the hold when they receive their product.

Guy uses a stolen/fake card? Never heard of that before....

You can't turn this around on Apple, this was a scam, square and simple. Given it is a deliberate scam then its hardly surprising someone gets duped, in this case OP's uncle but very nearly Apple.

Of course from Apple's point of view it was a unit out for return, and someone is trying to return it....can't explain the gift card thing but it would only take a small out-of step stock note coupled with a helpful CSR saying what he believed would happen given the story he was being presented with....

RianT

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2014
Maybe you could call again, this time record the call and ask to talk to a manager. This is why I record all calls to any company... if you had the recording of the conversation where the manager admitted that Apple knew beforehand and still told you to send it back, it would be different...

Does your uncle even have the seller's phone number or anything at all? If you don't... well, as I see it now, both the guy and Apple are safe, you and your uncle get screwed, royally.

This seems like quite an elaborate scam... If the credit card info Apple has on the guy was bogus too, then, wow.

You could always try to call corporate, and file a complaint with Better Business Bureau...

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
In what world does one expect a company to refund a 3rd party for returned merchandise?

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
In what world does one expect a company to refund a 3rd party for returned merchandise?

Give it a rest. Apple is also out of a Macbook they were expecting to be returned, that is a theft from Apple as well as they were expecting it. This will most likely be escalated, who knows will happen.

Have some compassion for someone who is out $1700.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I have to agree with the posters above, it seems highly likely that your uncle has been scammed. I don't see Apple at fault here. I think you should contact Apple and ask for the best way to proceed. There is a chance that the scammer can be found and prosecuted.

RianT

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2014
Give it a rest. Apple is also out of a Macbook they were expecting to be returned, that is a theft from Apple as well as they were expecting it. This will most likely be escalated, who knows will happen.

Have some compassion for someone who is out $1700.

If you look at it again, Apple actually doesn't lose anything in this...
If I understand correctly, the douchebag who sold OP's uncle this laptop bought Lappie #1.
He called Apple and asked for Lappie #2 to replace Lappie #1.
Apple for some reason sent Lappie #2 to him.
He sold Lappie #2 to OP's uncle for $1,700.
OP sent Lappie #2 back to Apple expecting a refund.
Apple now has Lappie #2, seller has Lappie #1 AND $1,700, OP and uncle have nothing.
So as I said, Apple swiftly recovered their loss. Don't expect a big company to lose in this sort of thing lol

And talking about escalating, well I think the douchebag actually had it all figured out. The laptop Apple sent to him was recovered by Apple. He had paid for the original laptop. His deal with OP's uncle could not be proven. Apple loses nothing in this, why escalate?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Do you have a tracking number for it, how was it shipped back? And I don't see why the Apple Store wouldn't take it back, Apple Stores always take returns on purchases... At least me local Apple Store does.

Not always. CTOs are not returnable. Perhaps this one was such case (minor).

That stated, never buy anything that is over $400 off Craigslist without a receipt.

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
I do sympathize with the OP, getting taken for 1700 bucks isn't fun

but the only complaint I can see is that the system at Apples end didn't flag up the problem on initial visit to a store (presumably because the unit was still in a grace period for its expected return).

However if it had flagged up the issue there and then, the only change in outcome would have been when Apple relieved the OP of the machine; cos in that scenario I don't see them having had anymore chance of being allowed to walk back out of the store with that particular computer than a display model lifted off the counter.

In either scenario the cash had already been handed over (and lost) to a scammer long gone :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.