Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tritron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
There is not hype about apple pay is because there is no promotions. softcard gives out amazon gift cards, american express gives out $50 a month with softcard. Apple pay sells same old credit cards with same fees and it requires stores to spend tons of money on new equipment. Why apple being a business does not offer incentives to other businesses. I think apple could get credit companies to offer discount if apple pay is more secure. Someone can still your credit card but no one can use your apple pay.

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
There is not hype about apple pay is because there is no promotions. softcard gives out amazon gift cards, american express gives out $50 a month with softcard. Apple pay sells same old credit cards with same fees and it requires stores to spend tons of money on new equipment. Why apple being a business does not offer incentives to other businesses.

What are you talking about? Apple Pay is not a card issuer.

BL.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Just because someone is misinformed or misguided isn't a reason to report a thread. Otherwise, a good number of posts here would get reported.

That's fair. Since nobody else has given a good complete ;) answer here's mine.

First, I consider the title to be a troll title. Apple Pay wasn't killed.

There is not hype about apple pay is because there is no promotions. softcard gives out amazon gift cards, american express gives out $50 a month with softcard.

I don't disagree. What they are saying is that Apple could do promotions and cited credit cards as an example. Maybe Apples and oranges, ;) but this sentence is not claiming that Apple issues credit cards.

Apple pay sells same old credit cards

Oopsies. Apple pay uses your existing credit card accounts, it doesn't sell credit cards.

with same fees and it requires stores to spend tons of money on new equipment.

Apple Pay shifts the costs from the merchant to the bank so merchants are saving 1% to 3% of the sale. That's some open ended big bucks for an equipment upgrade.

Why apple being a business does not offer incentives to other businesses.

Again, they could offer incentives but the 1% to 3% is already pretty attractive to business. And those business may offer the cash discounts some already offer to Apple Pay when those fees go away (yeah, right. Wipes tears of laughter from eyes).

And... it's attractive to me as someone who has used their credit card at three companies that were breached in the past 18 months.

Sorry, I consider posts that are this much work to potentially be a prank but I will be more thoughtful next time.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
What they are saying is that Apple could do promotions and cited credit cards as an example.
To be specific, OP said there are no promotions. Since Wells Fargo is offering a promotion to customers to try ApplePay, OP's first sentence is incorrect.

Apple Pay shifts the costs from the merchant to the bank so merchants are saving 1% to 3% of the sale.
Please expand on where this savings is coming from for the merchants. I'm not aware of them realizing any discount on their credit card processing fees for Apple Pay transactions vs card-swipe transactions today (or EMV chip+sign in a year).

tritron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
I did not know about wells fargo 20$,but so far I received 300$ from american express serve and free stuff from vending machines for using soft card.
Ihope apple pay can have promotions that will generate buzz on slickdeals or fatwallet forum more and more people will use it. I don't think banks would eat fees on apple pay because they could not afford to provide free checking accounts those visa fees are paying for not ach. If apple would subsidized fees
then walmart would be joining apple pay. Last year sales where 466 billion that is 1.5 billion a day so 1% of that is 150 million in fee. I am sure if walmart did not have to pay 1.5% 225 million a day they would be all over it.
even saving of 75 million .5% will get Walmart on board this will give walmart
profit boost by few billion of dollars. I think apple should push to replace wallets with iphones. If we could take picture for passport or drivers license and have it uploaded to iphone would be very cool. Having insurance card and drivers license on iphone would be cool. nfc could be used at bars night clubs.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I don't think banks would eat fees on apple pay because they could not afford to provide free checking accounts those visa fees are paying for not ach. If apple would subsidized fees
then walmart would be joining apple pay.

Again, you're misinformed. The banks are already subsidizing the fee and it comes out of the transaction fees that they already charge the merchants. The merchants do not pay any extra fees. The idea is Apple Pay will reduce fraud (through tokenization) so it'll be cheaper for the banks in the long run.

tritron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
That is interesting, what is the cost of transaction to the merchants, Ihave iphone 5s 6 and 6 plusand ipad mini. so I am not trolling here at all. As a customer I recognize the security of apple pay over using my credit card. I think if there were great promotions I would be more inclined to try it. Does apple pay stores recipts ? i am looking forward to the day we have iwallets

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
That is interesting, what is the cost of transaction to the merchants, Ihave iphone 5s 6 and 6 plusand ipad mini. so I am not trolling here at all. As a customer I recognize the security of apple pay over using my credit card. I think if there were great promotions I would be more inclined to try it. Does apple pay stores recipts ? i am looking forward to the day we have iwallets

The merchant pays no extra fees. I believe it stores a record of your transactions.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
I think the average Joe will be inclined to know of Apple Pay more than competing services like Google Wallet. Anything Apple releases is hyped compared to the competition, save for maybe Samsung.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I don't need giveaways or promotions to want to use Apple Pay. I just want to use a secure, easy payment system. What a silly concept.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

The bank (not the merchant) pays Apple 0.15% and it comes out of the transaction fees (typically 2-3%) that the bank already charges the merchant.

Apple Pay is basically self-promoting for the built-in security and ease of use. If you don't get this, you don't get it.

Last edited:

tritron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
I get that but google wallet offers the same security and where it is now ?

CoilTap

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
Apple Pay shifts the costs from the merchant to the bank so merchants are saving 1% to 3% of the sale. That's some open ended big bucks for an equipment upgrade.

This is not true. Merchants pay the same fees they always have. Apple charges an extra 0.15% to the bank on the backend. The merchant never sees that charge and just continues paying whatever fee they pay for the type of card you used.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
What are you talking about? Apple Pay is not a card issuer.

BL.

True. It's just a secure way of linking your phone to a credit card. It's up to the banks to join in and for businesses to adopt and have the point of sale hardware installed. So far I've only used it at McDonalds and it works just as advertised. I wish it would become universal as the extra layers of security are most welcome and would have prevented the kinds of large scale security breaches that have occurred at Home Depot and other retailers.

aggiesrwe03

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
TEXAS
Apple Pay isn't meant for the consumer so much as it is the merchant and the card companies. There are other solutions that are geared more toward the consumer; coin, Plastc, and loop to name a few. Not to say that the consumer doesn't benefit via security and convenience, but the end goal with apple pay is cold hard cash... I'm ok with that, however, I find it still years away from being adopted by local, and regional banks, therefore as excited as I was it is currently useless to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.