Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Apple Pay shifts the costs from the merchant to the bank so merchants are saving 1% to 3% of the sale. That's some open ended big bucks for an equipment upgrade.

Again, they could offer incentives but the 1% to 3% is already pretty attractive to business. And those business may offer the cash discounts some already offer to Apple Pay when those fees go away (yeah, right. Wipes tears of laughter from eyes).

And... it's attractive to me as someone who has used their credit card at three companies that were breached in the past 18 months.

Sorry, I consider posts that are this much work to potentially be a prank but I will be more thoughtful next time.

You're misinformed. Apple collects an additional fee from the banks when Apple Pay is used. The merchant still has to pay the normal credit card processing fees.

----------

Apple Pay isn't dead and there ARE promotions: https://www.wellsfargo.com/jump/credit-cards/credit-apple-pay

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Despite the fact that Apple Pay isn't a creditor, they do profit. I don't see it is incredibly absurd thought to give something like iTunes gift cards away to early adopters, or creating some sort of points system where you can earn them. Apple stands to make boatloads of money if they can get all of their iPhone 6 and 6 Plus users paying exclusively with Apple Pay.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Google Wallet does support tokenization, but it's cloud-based rather than device-based so that introduces other security risks.

However Google Wallet is still more secure than standard mag strip credit cards. Not quite as secure as Apple Pay, but I use my Google Wallet card at any place that doesn't offer NFC.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Wells Fargo is giving $10 for debit and $20 for credit.

----------

Who covers the 1.5% and 10 cent visa charges ?

Apple Pay is not a new card. It's the same card with the same rules as before.

----------

It never took off, as was the case with MP3 players, tablets, touchscreen phones, fingerprint scanner, etc. Sometimes it takes Apple to get people to adopt the new technology en mass.

People keep saying every Apple tech is going to be the next "Newton" or "Newsstand app"

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
It's been clearly established that the merchant doesn't incur a cost per transaction. The merchant also is not going to incur a cost to upgrade the equipment for Apple Pay. They are going to have to upgrade anyways. Next year all cards are going to have to be chip and pin so they have to upgrade regardless if they accept Apple Pay or not.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Apple pay isnt dead, its at the same stage as google wallet. People know about it but dont use it. The only ones making hype about it were people on macrumors. Other people just use their credit cards or cash and go on with their lives.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Apple pay isnt dead, its at the same stage as google wallet. People know about it but dont use it. The only ones making hype about it were people on macrumors. Other people just use their credit cards or cash and go on with their lives.

Agreed. 95% of shoppers have never even heard of Apple Pay and yet the Apple Fans expect the whole world to stop and change to Apple Pay!

It will be years before this all shakes down and Apple will have a lot of competition as there is money to be made or saved here.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Whatever happened to full and complete sentences? Statements or arguments with enough information so that the reader has a CLUE what you are talking about?

Yikes!

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
The only thing "killing" Apple Pay for me is that neither of my cards support it. :(

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The only thing "killing" Apple Pay for me is that neither of my cards support it. :(

There are plenty of major banks that support it and that's within your control (as you can change banks or simply get a non-bank-issued Amex card). The limiting factor remains the number of retailers that can take Apple Pay.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
There are plenty of major banks that support it and that's within your control (as you can change banks or simply get a non-bank-issued Amex card). The limiting factor remains the number of retailers that can take Apple Pay.

Ha, I'm not changing my bank just to be able to use Apple Pay a few months sooner. Swiping a card is not that big of inconvenience for me.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's been clearly established that the merchant doesn't incur a cost per transaction. The merchant also is not going to incur a cost to upgrade the equipment for Apple Pay. They are going to have to upgrade anyways. Next year all cards are going to have to be chip and pin so they have to upgrade regardless if they accept Apple Pay or not.

Chip and pin machines don't necessarily support nfc...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
True, but new terminals will also include NFC (Verifone has included NFC in all its new POS machines since 2011) so hopefully more retailers will enable it.

Target just swapped to chip and pin. No nfc. Walmart did the same (though not quite as recently).

I agree it would be ice, but I don't think it will be ubiquitous for a while.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Target just swapped to chip and pin. No nfc. Walmart did the same (though not quite as recently).

I agree it would be ice, but I don't think it will be ubiquitous for a while.

The difference is they specifically disabled NFC on the NFC- and chip and pin-capable terminals. Other non-MCX retailers won't have an agenda to do so like Target and Walmart.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
As mentioned it's apparently turned off. The terminals are spec'd to have it built in.

I'm pretty sure my nearest Target has the mx925's but they might be mx915's. I didn't measure the screen specifically but recall it seemed pretty big.
http://global.verifone.com/media/4300549/mx925_ds_ltr.pdf
http://global.verifone.com/media/4300550/mx915_ds-ltr.pdf

If it's Verifone, they've included NFC in all its POS machines since 2011 so it doesn't matter what model it is unless it's made before 2011.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
If it's Verifone, they've included NFC in all its POS machines since 2011 so it doesn't matter what model it is unless it's made before 2011.

So I've heard as well, but I figured citing the actual spec sheets might be helpful. :cool:

The Trader Joes near me has the 925 but NFC didn't seem to be active.

The one Subway I've been in had the VX820 and it worked fine; told the cashier to hit "credit" and all was good.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
So I've heard as well, but I figured citing the actual spec sheets might be helpful. :cool:

The Trader Joes near me has the 925 but NFC didn't seem to be active.

The one Subway I've been in had the VX820 and it worked fine; told the cashier to hit "credit" and all was good.

Good to know. I haven't been to Subway to use Apple pay yet, but which part of that terminal did you tap? I assume the touchscreen part?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Good to know. I haven't been to Subway to use Apple pay yet, but which part of that terminal did you tap? I assume the touchscreen part?

Yep, held my phone over the NFC logo / four-dots that displayed on the screen after the cashier pressed credit on the POS terminal.

The VX820 is not a large unit so I doubt it'd be very finicky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.