Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FiremanMike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
I've never really paid attention in the past, was in store iPhone availability this bad for this long with the previous launches?

Just wondering, no reason for flaming..

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yes, for the most part. Inventory was constrained through November in prior releases.

Nipommu

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
i think nothing will top the iphone 4 and the 6. i remember waiting in line (not over night) for over 3 hours for the 4 having turned around because they ran out. visited around 4 malls for the apple store. i didn't get it until the 2 month mark after release. i am guessing it'll be the same thing for this if not worse. but many say its going to be after christmas to get your hands on the 6+ which i doubt...

just follow the istocknow or ashbalu if u r in canada. i just saw the 64 plus available in the eaton center here in toronto.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Definitely seems worse if your trying to get a 6 plus. I finally got mine a couple of days ago, longest time I ever had to wait from launch. Usually I would get thee the night of the launch or the next day and maybe at most wait 30-45 min in line (the 4s I got the day after launch while on my lunch break, no one in line). This year there was just not stock and every time I checked they sold out almost immediately.

FiremanMike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Rofl, this thread may have been my good luck charm.. Thanks to istocknow, I'm now holding my new iPhone 6.. :)

themyst

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
out of the past few iOS devices:

iPad 2 was pretty bad
iPad 3/4 not bad at all
iPhone 5 was awful
iPhone 5S wasn't horrible unless you wanted Gold

IMO, the iPhone 6 Plus availability is the worst I've seen in any iPhone release, particularly 64GB.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
It's just the Apple Stores from what I can tell. All the local stores I went to today had plenty in stock

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
In Los Angeles inventory seems to be improving. There was a time when the 6 plus nowhere to be found on T-Mobile on Apple.com now there everywhere.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
i think nothing will top the iphone 4 and the 6. i remember waiting in line (not over night) for over 3 hours for the 4 having turned around because they ran out. visited around 4 malls for the apple store. i didn't get it until the 2 month mark after release. i am guessing it'll be the same thing for this if not worse. but many say its going to be after christmas to get your hands on the 6+ which i doubt...

just follow the istocknow or ashbalu if u r in canada. i just saw the 64 plus available in the eaton center here in toronto.

Yup, I found it quite difficult to find the 4 in December 2010. It was pretty easy to get the 5s (16gb) last December, though my dad couldn't find a 32gb model for a few weeks.

JobsGang

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2013
Took me over a month to get an iPhone 5 and I ordered just before Halloween that year.

spiderpumpkin

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2014
Was iPhone availability this bad with previous launches?

A lot of scalpers buying iPhones at my local Apple Store. They get in line, buy and then return to line and buy again. Repeat many times and also have their whole family with them doing the same thing.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
A lot of scalpers buying iPhones at my local Apple Store. They get in line, buy and then return to line and buy again. Repeat many times and also have their whole family with them doing the same thing.

This angers me to no end. Apple needs to grow a pair and do something about this.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
Yes this year was horrible for me. I've had to wait til the 3rd day to get my 6+. No, but really, I've been one lucky guy.

3G can't remember when but I didn't wait whenever it was
4 the day of launch
5 the day of launch
6+ two days after launch

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
The 4 was the worst for me. Took months to get one on contract. 5 was terrible as well. By the time 6 came around I knew the ropes and preordered.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I suppose I have bad memory. I pre-ordered the 5 and then was disappointed only to find out, one could easily walk in almost any Apple Store and buy any variation. That's why this year I didn't bother pre-ordering. Turns out, I'm glad I waited bc I don't think I would have pre-ordered the plus.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I've never really paid attention in the past, was in store iPhone availability this bad for this long with the previous launches?

Just wondering, no reason for flaming..

Yes. It was worse in some ways with the 5s. No preorders.

It was also rough with the 4. No white at launch because of manufacturing issues.

----------

out of the past few iOS devices:

iPad 2 was pretty bad
iPad 3/4 not bad at all
iPhone 5 was awful
iPhone 5S wasn't horrible unless you wanted Gold

IMO, the iPhone 6 Plus availability is the worst I've seen in any iPhone release, particularly 64GB.

5s was bad on launch day because silver AND gold were hard to find and there were no preorders.

64GB is like the 32GB now. Which means they are not producing as many of them. 16 and 128 are bigger sellers.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
people are already shopping for the holidays. Supply of the 6+ seems lean &mean at best. Face it Apple came out with 2 great iPhones and people really want them not to mention that the carriers have some good plans which is pushing sales as well.

Gryfter

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
what made the 6/6+ release bad this year was online pre-order technical issues... that and ordering online for people with AT&T NEXT was/is a nightmare...

for the 4, I went to an Apple store after work on launch day, waited 2-3 hours and got one... thats in NYC...

the 5, I was able to pre-order at 3:01am on their pre-order launch...

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I remember waiting in line for about an hour to get my 3G. Stood in front of an AT&T store and made friends with the other people in line. Walked in, no reservations, just asked for a black 3G and had it set up and was on my way. That was the last time I went to a physical store for the iPhone on launch day.

I did go to a T-Mobile store to get a 5S, but it was a few weeks after launch. I just called around to some local stores to see who had any stock, and found a place right near me with a 32 GB space grey. Swung by and picked it up, it was the only one they had. I got lucky on that one.

For the 6 Plus, I pre-ordered. Stayed up half the night waiting for T-Mobile's site to work because I wanted to use their financing plan. Ended up calling when customer service opened, and lucked out and got my phone the Monday after launch. After that experience though, I learned to get it from Apple or wait until there's stock in stores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.