Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
This whole notification light thing is one giant :apple: conspiracy to get you to purchase an apple watch!!!!

"Never miss a notification again" - :apple: Watch.

:rolleyes:

You joke, but it's actually true. If you want to use an iPhone and miss your "blinky pay attention to me light", buy a smart watch and you will once again be soothed by the contact notification of a pending message of some sort.

But, even with the notification light, you STILL have to pick up the phone and press a button to see exactly what that light is really about. Was it an important missed call or just a run of the mill call? No idea, but at least your light told you, right?

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
The LED notification is incredibly useful. Apple is the only smartphone company (that I can think of at the moment) that hasn't implemented it. BB, Palm, Samsung, Motorola, HTC have it on all their phones. Competition should be good, but Apple knows it's got its fanboys hooked.

You need to stop drinking Apple juice, buddy!

I used to love the notification LED until I got my Moto X. Motorola's active display is absolutely awesome and kind of like an Apple answer to the LED. The OLED screen pulses the missed notifications (although you can set it not to do so over night).

I also love the fact that as you move to the phone, the screen comes alive and allows you to swipe to unlock - no need to press the button to wake the screen first.

But, even with the notification light, you STILL have to pick up the phone and press a button to see exactly what that light is really about.

Not with the Moto X. Instead of an LED you can see the text/call/email/whatsapp or whatever icon pulsing on the screen. Hold the icon and it'll show you a preview of the notification, swipe up and it'll wake the phone and allow you to answer it, swipe left and it'll cancel the notification.

Awesome.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It is just the classic denial syndrome brought about by the deficiencies in iphone.

Deficiencies you seem to care about more than the people who actually own an iPhone. Why the hell would it even bother you? Let's face it you are pretty angry about this, if this thread is anything to go by. I can't imagine being angry about features or lack of certain features on an Android phone? I just wouldn't buy it and not give it a second thought.

I get notifications through Tapatalk for this thread (no light obviously) and there sure is a lot of heat considering this topic is about as important as what ring tone people choose lol. How do you expect this matter to be settled, what are you hoping for?

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
I used to love the notification LED until I got my Moto X. Motorola's active display is absolutely awesome and kind of like an Apple answer to the LED. The OLED screen pulses the missed notifications (although you can set it not to do so over night).

I also love the fact that as you move to the phone, the screen comes alive and allows you to swipe to unlock - no need to press the button to wake the screen first.

Not with the Moto X. Instead of an LED you can see the text/call/email/whatsapp or whatever icon pulsing on the screen. Hold the icon and it'll show you a preview of the notification, swipe up and it'll wake the phone and allow you to answer it, swipe left and it'll cancel the notification.

Awesome.

I agree. I think that's a much better option than a blinking light. But, if that's only on the Moto X, that's pretty limited. You would think Google would try and bake that into the OS itself.
I'd rather have the Moto X way of doing things, or Apple's way of doing things, then some light that just blinks without telling me ANYTHING.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I agree. I think that's a much better option than a blinking light. But, if that's only on the Moto X, that's pretty limited. You would think Google would try and bake that into the OS itself.
I'd rather have the Moto X way of doing things, or Apple's way of doing things, then some light that just blinks without telling me ANYTHING.

I think it's more to do with the OLED screen. If it was just an LCD screen, lighting the whole screen would drain the battery. As it's OLED it only lights a few pixels so it's very battery efficient.

To be fair, the blinking light can tell you a lot as you're able to change the colour and frequency. So blue for emails, red for missed calls, green for texts etc. And it's totally configurable, so even Android's basic LED is incredibly useful and a great battery saver.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
You joke, but it's actually true. If you want to use an iPhone and miss your "blinky pay attention to me light", buy a smart watch and you will once again be soothed by the contact notification of a pending message of some sort.

But, even with the notification light, you STILL have to pick up the phone and press a button to see exactly what that light is really about. Was it an important missed call or just a run of the mill call? No idea, but at least your light told you, right?

Well with some phones the light is very programmable. Plus you can have colors and patterns. You might be surprised what you can discern from a simple flashing light. For instance, I can quickly know if I have a VM from someone in a particular group of contacts. The thinking here is very closed minded and unimaginative.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Desktop and laptop computers have: email, VoIP voicemail, IM, chat, facebook, Twitter, etc.

Why no lights on them?

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Since there is not an LED, what do you use for notification of urgent items?

You said it. LED lets you know so you don't have to aimlessly turn on the screen or ask siri.

The difference is the light is persistent until you check your notification not just flash one time like the iPhone implementation.

I think you are confused. The blinky light theory you suggest as useful, really serves no purpose other than an alert. It doesn't tell you if that alert is important. It just suggests that all alerts are important or why would you get them. It treats all alerts the same. Not the case with an iPhone. My phone screen turns itself on and tells me about the alert. I don't even need to ask Siri or touch my phone, though that is an option.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I think you are confused. The blinky light theory you suggest as useful, really serves no purpose other than an alert. It doesn't tell you if that alert is important. It just suggests that all alerts are important or why would you get them. It treats all alerts the same. Not the case with an iPhone. My phone screen turns itself on and tells me about the alert. I don't even need to ask Siri or touch my phone, though that is an option.

Wait... you must not have known you can customize the LED. I can set LED to light up for missed call/sms from predefined contacts only or light up for essential apps like whatsapp. I can color-code the notification. I can also set the active period.

Talking about turning on the screen...one major IOS pain is that the screen turn on for all notifications that come in. It is quite irritating to have the screen turned on for something like FB feed notifications which you get a lot.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Wait... you must not have known you can customize the LED. I can set LED to light up for missed call/sms from predefined contacts only or light up for essential apps like whatsapp. I can color-code the notification. I can also set the active period.

Talking about turning on the screen...one major IOS pain is that the screen turn on for all notifications that come in. It is quite irritating to have the screen turned on for something like FB feed notifications which you get a lot.

Can you customize a blinky light to read your alert out loud?

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Can you customize a blinky light to read your alert out loud?

I think your counter argument is degenerating to irrational. :p

btw: do you know can activate voice command on android without needing to wake the phone or have the phone plug-in (i.e. always listening mode). On iphone you need to plug-in to power outlet before it works..which is really stupid.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
I think your counter argument is degenerating to irrational. :p

btw: do you know can activate voice command on android without needing to wake the phone or have the phone plug-in (i.e. always listening mode). On iphone you need to plug-in to power outlet before it works..which is really stupid.

This really isn't about Android OS.

And why are you deflecting from the question? As someone who has a visually handicapped parent, their siblings, and face a strong chance of also being legally at some point, I find your lack of compassion infuriating. A blinky light does me no good, regardless of the pattern, color, intensity or good intention.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
This really isn't about Android OS.

And why are you deflecting from the question? As someone who has a visually handicapped parent, their siblings, and face a strong chance of also being legally at some point, I find your lack of compassion infuriating. A blinky light does me no good, regardless of the pattern, color, intensity or good intention.

I never knew you were talking about usage by physically challenged people. In that case Android (as in my Note4) has a far MORE accessibility options.

- You can have the camera LED Flashlight comes on just like IOS.
- You can answer a call by pressing the Home button (or end call with power button) - no need to find the slider
- You can activate "Talkback" which give voice feedback when navigating UI
- Video playback supports subtitle
- Use gesture/motion - like turn the phone over to mute or use palm motion to on screen or move forward/backward
- Use smart-stay to keep screen on when you are still looking at the screen
- You can use the built-in voice command to do most of anything like sending sms/calling/reading your message/read out name of incoming caller etc. AND it does NOT need to access the network like SIRI to achieve this. It is all localized.
- have a floating assistant menu which contains essential apps, "back", "home", etc.
- Google Now / S-Voice (in always listening mode) can be activated without manually waking up the device. Cannot be done with iphone unless it is plugged in to power outlet.

Last edited:

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR

You do know you can turn off alerts and use banners or none instead right? Not every notification needs to be an alert.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
What if you go to asleep and you get a notification and the phone is nearby on a nightstand out of reach and you have trouble sleeping because of the flashing light?

Normally it would just vibrate and be done with it but now its overly obtrusive and keeps flashing in the dark and affecting your ability to fall asleep...

There are apps for that.

----------

Tom Brokaw has no need for LED lights.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I never knew you were talking about usage by physically challenged people. In that case Android (as in my Note4) has a far SUPERIOR accessibility options.

That's cute that you think that. But I guess you haven't spent much time researching iOS accessibility features very much.

- You can have the camera LED Flashlight comes on just like IOS.

So that's not better. Just equal.

- You can answer a call by pressing the Home button (or end call with power button) - no need to find the slider

You can use Assistive Touch on iOS to define any gesture you like for this and other actions. You can also add the Dynamic Controls iPortal app to further enhance gestures and via movements, head motion, or using assistive accessories.

- You can activate "Talkback" which give voice feedback when navigating UI

iOS users call that VoiceOver.

- Video playback supports subtitle

Same on iOS. Subtitles are customizable as well.

- Use gesture/motion - like turn the phone over to mute or use palm motion to on screen or move forward/backward

Again, user defined gestures in iOS make this and other actions possible. There's also the rotor.

- Use smart-stay to keep screen on when you are still looking at the screen

This and other gestures can be enabled using the front facing camera and enabling Switch Control. Assistive control accessories can also be purchased that can interface with iOS beyond the stock configuration, if that makes it easier for a particular individual to control it.

Can the Note interface with a braille display? What about braille screen input?

- You can use the built-in voice command to do most of anything like sending sms/calling/reading your message/read out name of incoming caller etc. AND it does NOT need to access the network like SIRI to achieve this. It is all localized.

Core non-network functionality also exists on iPhones by turning Siri off and using the phone in basic voice control mode. Though let's be honest here: if you don't have network functionality, you're not going to be able to receive or send an SMS, or send or receive calls.

- have a floating assistant menu which contains essential apps, "back", "home", etc.

Yeah, again, Rotor takes care of this, as does the assistive touch menu.

- Google Now / S-Voice (in always listening mode) can be activated without manually waking up the device. Cannot be done with iphone unless it is plugged in to power outlet.

Probably the only valid difference in this whole post.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Going back to the main argument:

All great, but this still doesn't tell me key information: the blinky light can't tell me what notifications are urgent and which are not.

So, I can have the blinky light show me a different color from whatsapp as opposed to e-mails or text messages or Facebook alerts. Great. So, where do I configure the blinky light to alert, say, orange if I get an e-mail or text message that a server at work has gone down, as opposed to say, green if it's from a family member just telling me they have new pictures of their cat? Or say, purple if someone at home has taken ill as opposed to blue if they're just reminding me to pick up milk when I leave work? Or Red if and only if the e-mail I've received is to alert me of a death in the family?

Color coding is an admirable attempt at diversifying the LED alert, and it's great I guess if you can somehow manage to have everyone and everything ONLY alert you from certain apps if it's urgent, and never alert you from the same apps if it's not. But if you can't do that, then you're still stuck in the same conundrum: every alert is an alert that you must now unlock your phone and check to see if it's important.

Or, I can just hit my home button, glance at the screen and see in a few lines if there's something that needs my attention, if it's all things that can wait, or if nothing at all is going on. Or wait for the next alert if I don't want to hit my button. Again, being a guy who has all this info coming at you that needs to be parsed, new alerts can't be few and far between.

(Which brings me to another point: if you're THAT heavily tethered to your device you have to be kept up-to-the-second notified on actionable alerts, then it's a foregone conclusion that downtime periods with no alerts is a rare thing.)

That can be dealt with very easily.

aUsYPfb.png

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
That's cute that you think that. But I guess you haven't spent much time researching iOS accessibility features very much.

So that's not better. Just equal.

You are forgetting the color-coded LED notification for persistence notification. :)

You can use Assistive Touch on iOS to define any gesture you like for this and other actions. You can also add the Dynamic Controls iPortal app to further enhance gestures and via movements, head motion, or using assistive accessories.

This is using 3rd party customized solution.

OK. If you are talking about tailored assessibility options thru apps/hardware customizations, then anything goes on both platforms.

iOS users call that VoiceOver.

Equal for this point.

Same on iOS. Subtitles are customizable as well.

But not using external subtitle files.

Again, user defined gestures in iOS make this and other actions possible. There's also the rotor.

ditto.

This and other gestures can be enabled using the front facing camera and enabling Switch Control. Assistive control accessories can also be purchased that can interface with iOS beyond the stock configuration, if that makes it easier for a particular individual to control it.

Can the Note interface with a braille display? What about braille screen input?

ditto.

Core non-network functionality also exists on iPhones by turning Siri off and using the phone in basic voice control mode. Though let's be honest here: if you don't have network functionality, you're not going to be able to receive or send an SMS, or send or receive calls.

I am refering to data network part not turning off everything.

Yeah, again, Rotor takes care of this, as does the assistive touch menu.

ditto.

====================

It is just a fact that Galaxy Android has far more of these misc utilities/shortcuts/alternatives/assessibility options built-in than the Iphone.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It is just the classic denial syndrome brought about by the deficiencies in iphone.

I think you're overthinking it. For starters, at this point I for one don't care either way if a future iPhone has a notification LED or not, so long as I can turn it off and never have to use it. I might even welcome it, because it'll finally shut people like you up, and put an end to 2+ year old threads being dug out and revived constantly to pointless rehash this same issue, over and over.

That said, what you see as "denial about deficiencies in iPhone" is actually just people questioning what we see as a deeply flawed user experience paradigm, and our intrigue at how some people cling to such a deeply-flawed paradigm and think it's the best thing in the world.

I experienced the LED notification light, back when I had numerous pre-iPhone smartphones: from the Treo 600, 650 and 700P, to various Blackberries ranging from the original 950, to the 7280, 7130e and 8703e. Ultimately, I tried them but disabled them off when I could. I saw little point in a blinking light that would nag me every time to interact with my device to clear my new messages so the light would stop blinking... only to start blinking again minutes or seconds later with something new. And if I ignored it, it would just keep blinking... not providing me with any new meaningful information.

I came to realize that the light simply fed negative, addictive behavior, even to the point where it would distract and exclude me from engaging in more meaningful activities. And I firmly believe that the pro-LED crowd on here attacking anyone who dares disagree as being "in denial" is pure proof of that... negative, manipulative behavior to force others to get on the defensive for simply having a different viewpoint.

Interactive, meaningful notifications on a screen are a different animal though. They aren't demands for action. They provide information, and you make the call as to whether you want to do something about it. If not, no biggie... and the phone isn't precluded from giving me new information if I choose not to act on previous events. To me, that's infinitely more useful and the interaction is more constructive than destructive. So much so that the "bother" of having to tap a sleep button now and then to see if I missed anything is worth the added benefit.

Anyway, I hope Apple appeases you soon so you can stop bashing others just because they don't share your addiction. But I'm not holding my breath. Apple tends to be more about interfaces that provide potential for positive user experiences, not negative or ambiguous ones.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
You are forgetting the color-coded LED notification for persistence notification. :)

I've addressed this in another post.

This is using 3rd party customized solution.

The first option was built-in. The second option was a third party app. And what's wrong with a third party app? I think having multiple options, including augments from third parties, to be a positive, not a negative.

OK. If you are talking about tailored assessibility options thru apps/hardware customizations, then anything goes on both platforms.

I guess that might be a problem for you, if you see this as some kind of contest. I think it's great that both platforms have rich accessibility options. I don't see one as being "SUPERIOR" to the other, as you put it. Diversity is a good thing.

Equal for this point.

I wasn't the one saying one was "SUPERIOR" over the other. That was all you. :)

But not using external subtitle files.

So now we're adding requirements after the fact? Fine. Multiple apps exist that permit merging of srt subtitles to the mp4 file, making this moot really. We can debate whether or not that's an acceptable workflow. Or I could take the position that separate subtitle files are cumbersome and problematic. Your call on that.

I am refering to data network part not turning off everything.

And you can still use voice control without the data network. You just don't get Siri's sass, which some people don't care for much anyway.

It is just a fact that Galaxy Android has far more of these misc utilities/shortcuts/alternatives/assessibility options built-in than the Iphone.

Well, considering we've gone back and forth and you've responded with "ditto" for most of these things, this doesn't actually seem to be a "fact" at all. In fact, the real "fact" appears to be that both Android and iOS are pretty much on par with each other in terms of accessibility.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Going back to the main argument:

All great, but this still doesn't tell me key information: the blinky light can't tell me what notifications are urgent and which are not.

It is not suppose to. It is used to complement existing notification.

So, I can have the blinky light show me a different color from whatsapp as opposed to e-mails or text messages or Facebook alerts. Great. So, where do I configure the blinky light to alert, say, orange if I get an e-mail or text message that a server at work has gone down, as opposed to say, green if it's from a family member just telling me they have new pictures of their cat? Or say, purple if someone at home has taken ill as opposed to blue if they're just reminding me to pick up milk when I leave work? Or Red if and only if the e-mail I've received is to alert me of a death in the family?

Why are you over-complicating the LED lights by lumping in usage scenarios which the LED notification is not designed for?

The main point is the LED gives you a continous and persistence notifications which the other kind cannot.

Color coding is an admirable attempt at diversifying the LED alert, and it's great I guess if you can somehow manage to have everyone and everything ONLY alert you from certain apps if it's urgent, and never alert you from the same apps if it's not. But if you can't do that, then you're still stuck in the same conundrum: every alert is an alert that you must now unlock your phone and check to see if it's important.

ditto..

Or, I can just hit my home button, glance at the screen and see in a few lines if there's something that needs my attention, if it's all things that can wait, or if nothing at all is going on. Or wait for the next alert if I don't want to hit my button. Again, being a guy who has all this info coming at you that needs to be parsed, new alerts can't be few and far between.

(Which brings me to another point: if you're THAT heavily tethered to your device you have to be kept up-to-the-second notified on actionable alerts, then it's a foregone conclusion that downtime periods with no alerts is a rare thing.)

That can be dealt with very easily.

[/quote]

Once again the LED makes this step more efficient - that is you dont go and on the screen when it is not necessary. Not sure why it is so difficult to understand. Don't use it if you like to turn on your screen unnecessarily.

I think you're overthinking it. For starters, at this point I for one don't care either way if a future iPhone has a notification LED or not, so long as I can turn it off and never have to use it. I might even welcome it, because it'll finally shut people like you up, and put an end to 2+ year old threads being dug out and revived constantly to pointless rehash this same issue, over and over.

That said, what you see as "denial about deficiencies in iPhone" is actually just people questioning what we see as a deeply flawed user experience paradigm, and our intrigue at how some people cling to such a deeply-flawed paradigm and think it's the best thing in the world.

I experienced the LED notification light, back when I had numerous pre-iPhone smartphones: from the Treo 600, 650 and 700P, to various Blackberries ranging from the original 950, to the 7280, 7130e and 8703e. Ultimately, I tried them but disabled them off when I could. I saw little point in a blinking light that would nag me every time to interact with my device to clear my new messages so the light would stop blinking... only to start blinking again minutes or seconds later with something new. And if I ignored it, it would just keep blinking... not providing me with any new meaningful information.

I came to realize that the light simply fed negative, addictive behavior, even to the point where it would distract and exclude me from engaging in more meaningful activities. And I firmly believe that the pro-LED crowd on here attacking anyone who dares disagree as being "in denial" is pure proof of that... negative, manipulative behavior to force others to get on the defensive for simply having a different viewpoint.

Interactive, meaningful notifications on a screen are a different animal though. They aren't demands for action. They provide information, and you make the call as to whether you want to do something about it. If not, no biggie... and the phone isn't precluded from giving me new information if I choose not to act on previous events. To me, that's infinitely more useful and the interaction is more constructive than destructive. So much so that the "bother" of having to tap a sleep button now and then to see if I missed anything is worth the added benefit.

Anyway, I hope Apple appeases you soon so you can stop bashing others just because they don't share your addiction. But I'm not holding my breath. Apple tends to be more about interfaces that provide potential for positive user experiences, not negative or ambiguous ones.

Hmmm...I got the impression you think that LED notification is the MOTHER of all notifications that can replace all other types of notification.

It has been mentioned many times LED notification is to complement the existing ones, not to replace. I don't know why every LED notification detractor has to go around in big circle or throwing in lots of non-related reasons why the LED notification should not be there.

----------

I've addressed this in another post.

I guess that might be a problem for you, if you see this as some kind of contest. I think it's great that both platforms have rich accessibility options. I don't see one as being "SUPERIOR" to the other, as you put it. Diversity is a good thing.

I wasn't the one saying one was "SUPERIOR" over the other. That was all you. :)

OK. Fine. Maybe "superior" is a wrong choice of word. Let me modify that to "More".

ifanme

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2014
macforums
I constant check latest notifications by pressing power button or sometimes install tweaks to notify by time. Like bitesms for sms alerts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.