Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
Just kind of stupid if you do this like 30x a day and 28x out of those you got a negative response.

Do you walk away from your phone for 30 minutes at a time 30 times a day? If that's the case, why do you even have a smartphone?
At most, you ask Siri 2x a day, because otherwise you would have your phone with you.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Do you walk away from your phone for 30 minutes at a time 30 times a day? If that's the case, why do you even have a smartphone?
At most, you ask Siri 2x a day, because otherwise you would have your phone with you.

At home I have a Panasonic wireless Bluetooth phone system. My phone is paired with it as soon as I walk in. Other times I always have my phone on me.
Even if the phone is with you all day..but the unsettling feelings that you may have missed something will inadvertently makes you want to turn the screen on or ask siri.

LED gives you a definitive confirmation whether you have notification or not. Anyone arguing against the usefulness of LED are either too blinded to see or too thick headed to concede.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
It's pointless trying to convince people here that the iPhone could be made better somehow. They will argue ad nauseam about how some useful feature is not needed. Then, if / when Apple adds said feature, they will praise it and say Apple did it right. Rinse, repeat. All you have to do is look at NFC as the latest example.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
Even if the phone is with you all day..but the unsettling feelings that you may have missed something will inadvertently makes you want to turn the screen on or ask siri.

LED gives you a definitive confirmation whether you have notification or not. Anyone arguing against the usefulness of LED are either too blinded to see or too thick headed to concede.

Exactly.

They're stuck in this mentality of "if apple hasn't done it, I have no use for it" but once apple does it "omg greatest feature!! So useful. Yoooo how do I make it blink the rainbow??????"

Would be nice to see the Touch ID ring light up.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Talk about blinded or thick headed. You keep missing the point as is the case in every one of these threads. A notification light is not a must have feature for me (and I guess some others). What you find mandatory, others find optional.

If I need to see something I'll pick up my phone, no biggie.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
It's pointless trying to convince people here that the iPhone could be made better somehow. They will argue ad nauseam about how some useful feature is not needed. Then, if / when Apple adds said feature, they will praise it and say Apple did it right. Rinse, repeat. All you have to do is look at NFC as the latest example.

And larger screens. People were telling me "just go buy an iPad"

Lol.. Bunch of idiots.

Now i tell them "just go buy an iPod touch" -- same thing right?

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Here's another question I have. What does this LED show you?

Does it flash for Facebook updates? New RSS feed additions? UPS tracking info updates? Instant Messages in 3rd party apps that aren't texts?

Like, can you set the thing to work with any app, or is it just texts and phone calls?

I'm just trying to figure out how this thing works.

I have a note 3 now and I didn't have to install any extra apps for my led to show notifications. In my WhatsApp app settings, I can choose the colour the led can flash for messages. I can even pick another color for group messages in whatsapp.

My led can flash red when low on battery too.

Also, every smartphone I have owned has had led notifications (nexus s, nexus 4, note 2, note 3)

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Talk about blinded or thick headed. You keep missing the point as is the case in every one of these threads. A notification light is not a must have feature for me (and I guess some others). What you find mandatory, others find optional.

If I need to see something I'll pick up my phone, no biggie.
Who is saying it is mandatory to have? You won't die without it. If you are satisfied with turning on the screen (or ask siri) many times a day so be it.

But if someone says the LED is not useful or its function can be easily replicated by other means within iphone then my previous assessment would stand.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Would be nice to see the Touch ID ring light up.

Only one problem: The Touch ID ring needs to be conductive metal to complete a circuit and signal when it should be scanning fingerprints. Turning it into a flashy LED would disable its primary reason for existing.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Who is saying it is mandatory to have? You won't die without it. If you are satisfied with turning on the screen (or ask siri) many times a day so be it.

But if someone says the LED is not useful or its function can be replicated by other means then my previous assessment would stand.

i think an led notification light is useful and whose function can be replicated by custom vibrating tones. The act of notification is mandatory, method of delivery can be debated.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I have a feeling if Apple introduced a notification LED they would be accused of following the competition and being late to the table. Just look at the reaction when they made bigger screens. It was demanded for a couple of years and when they produced them they were heavily criticised. I don't get it at all.

Maybe it's because Apple started these accusations of copying with the lawsuits regarding rounded corners on icons and phones, rubber bounce scrolling, etc.

When you make a big deal about other people copying you, don't be surprised when others call you out when you copy them.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Since there is not an LED, what do you use for notification of urgent items?

An LED just lets you know that a notification is definitely there. You still need to touch your phone to find out what it is or if it is a false alarm.

----------

But if someone says the LED is not useful or its function can be easily replicated by other means within iphone then my previous assessment would stand.

The iPhone does have a useful notification system that includes an LED, if desired. The last notification I set to the lock screen appeared without me touching the phone and stayed there until I physically made it go away. It for all esthetic purposes served the same function of a blinky light.

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
An LED just lets you know that a notification is definitely there. You still need to touch your phone to find out what it is or if it is a false alarm.

----------

The iPhone does have a useful notification system that includes an LED, if desired.
You said it. LED lets you know so you don't have to aimlessly turn on the screen or ask siri.

The difference is the light is persistent until you check your notification not just flash one time like the iPhone implementation.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I just went to the extreme and set it to ping me 10 times until I respond. It vibrates and Quacks like a duck for 5 seconds every few minutes for a total of ten times until I open or acknowledge the text message... It’s doing it right now but I'm too busy typing this to acknowledge the message... and my wife is looking at me like something fishy is going on... she is wishing that an LED was blinking and the ringer was muted instead. Bummer.Oh well

Coming from Blackberry, no doubt the iPhone lacks the options it has. Blackberry has the most extensive and customizable notification system of any phone. It was nice to be able to look across the room and see if you had mail or a text message or even a calendar event. Oh well been with Apple for a while now as my 9900 units died long ago and my employees got tired of replacing them.

Beware, as some Apple users will not take kindly to you pointing out this or any short coming. They think that what even Apple gives you is good enough and it is near blasphemy to criticize or want more.

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
i think an led notification light is useful and whose function can be replicated by custom vibrating tones. The act of notification is mandatory, method of delivery can be debated.
All your methods are just notification at a point in time. None are persistent until you act on the notifications.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Beware, as some Apple users will not take kindly to you pointing out this or any short coming. They think that what even Apple gives you is good enough and it is near blasphemy to criticize or want more.

Except the irony here is that the above BS is just as snottily detached from reality as the kind of posts you're complaining about. In fact, yours is worse because it's begging to pick a fight.

Notifications are a touchy subject, evidently. No idea why. Apparently some are unhappy unless their phone is constantly bothering them. Oh well.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
people here can act as high and mighty about NOT wanting a notification light as they want.

but the second Apple announces it, it will be "MUST HAVE" and "HOW DID I EVER LIVE WITHOUT IT".

Happens all the time, just think back when people saying phatphones are a fad

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Maybe it's because Apple started these accusations of copying with the lawsuits regarding rounded corners on icons and phones, rubber bounce scrolling, etc.

When you make a big deal about other people copying you, don't be surprised when others call you out when you copy them.

They haven't even mentioned having a notification light? These companies are all as bad as each other for levelling accusations at each other and filing lawsuits. Let's not join in with the childishness by saying 'but they said na na na na naaa'. We are just consumers at the end of the day, it's not worth getting worked up over.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
people here can act as high and mighty about NOT wanting a notification light as they want.

but the second Apple announces it, it will be "MUST HAVE" and "HOW DID I EVER LIVE WITHOUT IT".

Thank goodness you have it all figured out.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

It is just the classic denial syndrome brought about by the deficiencies in iphone.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
This whole notification light thing is one giant :apple: conspiracy to get you to purchase an apple watch!!!!

"Never miss a notification again" - :apple: Watch.

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.