Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lowmaser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2014
I would like to share you my recent iPhone 6 Problem:

Recently I found a little trace on the edge of my iPhone 6. Very small, at the bottom edge of the display glass.

I could hardly make it out, but it was visible enough to catch the eye.

Since my iPhone 6 has never dropped or bumped in any way, I addressed this issue to AppleCare support (germany), and sent them the device.

The upshot: Diagnostics of the technician’s is: broken glass!

Warranty coverage: DENIED!

This damage comes from improper usage or is an accidental damage.

The AppleCare adviser also confirmed on phone that this device also is not qualified for any further warranty claim, because of the broken display. (See Appels warranty conditions).

Apple returned my phone unrepaired. The sim tray was missing, and a note in the return package said, that warranty repair was denied and that I can buy a new device at apple store.

For me it is OBVIOUSLY a PRODUCTION ERROR by the manufacturer, and has to be fixed for free within the warranty.

I made pictures of this problem so you can see what I mean.

Please let me know what you think and if someone had success with the same problem.

I can only recommend to anyone urgently, to carry a 10x loupe (preferably illuminated) to the store, if you are going to buy an iphone 6 or 6 plus.

Otherwise, if you catch a device with chipped edges on the glass you are out of warranty.

I have made 2 photos, so you can see what I'm telling about.

Please notice that the complete bottom edge has marks of broken and chipped glass!

I think the whole construction with the round edges is the problem. The glass is simply too thin at the edges.

There could be more iPhones out, suffering the same problem.

Btw: The glass surface on top is perfectly intact. The broken pieces are on the bottom!

You can feel nothing unless you take the display element apart.

However, I set up a mail with my lawyer and am waiting how Apple will respond.

iPhone 6 and 6plus problems: Display Glass Chipped, broken edges

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For me it is OBVIOUSLY a PRODUCTION ERROR by the manufacturer, and has to be fixed for free within the warranty.
Not to sound harsh but why did you come to the conclusion that its a manufacturing defect and not due to usage?

I think if you put on a screen protector, this will hide the issue and minimize it from occurring further.

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
If as you said this is "OBVIOUSLY a PRODUCTION ERROR"..........How do you explain for massive amount of Iphones that don't have this, (what did you call it) oh yeah, an "OBVIOUSLY a PRODUCTION ERROR"

Looks to me from what I can access from the pictures, that chips in the glass that could have been caused by anything.

Zenton

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
But you didn't notice this flaw immediately after unboxing? Then how did you come to the conclusion that you didn't do that yourself accidentally?

Tobias Funke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2012
My 5 had a tiny tiny chip on the glass when I unboxed it.

It still has the chip now 2 years later but it's been a great phone! :D

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
But you didn't notice this flaw immediately after unboxing? Then how did you come to the conclusion that you didn't do that yourself accidentally?

Agreed. It could have been the OP just as easily as a manufacturing defect.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
You should've bend it and send it back to Apple for warranty, they would replace it and that little glass problem would go away unnoticed ;)

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX

Recently I found a little trace on the edge of my iPhone 6. Very small, at the bottom edge of the display glass.

Since my iPhone 6 has never dropped or bumped in any way, I addressed this issue to AppleCare support (germany), and sent them the device.

The AppleCare adviser also confirmed on phone that this device also is not qualified for any further warranty claim, because of the broken display. (See Appels warranty conditions).

Apple returned my phone unrepaired. The sim tray was missing, and a note in the return package said, that warranty repair was denied and that I can buy a new device at apple store.

Please let me know what you think and if someone had success with the same problem.

I can only recommend to anyone urgently, to carry a 10x loupe (preferably illuminated) to the store, if you are going to buy an iphone 6 or 6 plus.

Otherwise, if you catch a device with chipped edges on the glass you are out of warranty.

Please notice that the complete bottom edge has marks of broken and chipped glass!

I think the whole construction with the round edges is the problem. The glass is simply too thin at the edges.

Btw: The glass surface on top is perfectly intact. The broken pieces are on the bottom!

You want us, and Apple, to assume that a chip in the glass is due to a production issue and not you being careless with the phone and accidentally damaging it? I mean, it could have happened at any time. The fact that you didn't notice it as soon as you took it out of the box (visible to the eye, you say?), makes it seem unlikely that it came to you that way.
Either fight it out with Apple support if you did not damage it, or pay the replacement fee for a new iPhone.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
This is why you need to make sure to give your phone a really good once over when you first get it. I can understand why they would deny a warranty claim on a damaged screen if you've been using the device for any real amount of time.

Good luck with your lawyer, but you're going to spend a lot more time and money trying to prove it came defective (which will be nearly impossible) than you would just buying a new screen. And if you've taken the device apart, which it sounds like you may have, it will be that much more difficult to prove that you didn't cause the damage.

Last edited:

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Not to sound harsh but why did you come to the conclusion that its a manufacturing defect and not due to usage?

I think if you put on a screen protector, this will hide the issue and minimize it from occurring further.

Actually, a screen protector won't do anything in those spots, but a case with a slightly raised edge (such as a Power Support Air Jacket and no doubt many others) will hide it and prevent more.

It is interesting that the defects seem to coincide exactly with the headphone jack and the antenna strip in one of the photos, but odd that the two photos seem to show different degrees of damage- were they taken at the same time?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If as you said this is "OBVIOUSLY a PRODUCTION ERROR"..........How do you explain for massive amount of Iphones that don't have this, (what did you call it) oh yeah, an "OBVIOUSLY a PRODUCTION ERROR".

Relax. If the glass were chipped during assembly of the phone, that would still be called a production error.

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
Do you think the OP was suggesting that all iPhones came with chipped glass or that his iPhone came with chipped glass?

No. I think the OP is insinuating that his chip is one out of others, ( that in his words ) is OBVIOUSLY a defect without having any evidence supporting that info. I don't know where you get all iphones from.

How is it an OBVIOUS defect? That chip could have come from a number of ways. How do we know the OP didn't had a accident that cause the phone chip? OBVIOUSLY what can I can say is its OBVIOUS that we don't know what happen for sure, isn't that OBVIOUS?

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
Do you think the OP was suggesting that all iPhones came with chipped glass or that his iPhone came with chipped glass?
They all come with chipped glass. It's one of the standard production features that keeps you from noticing the 45* bend that they all have when removing them from the boxes. If you cannot find the chip, or bend in yours you are either in denial or perhaps you have a Samsung or other brand of phone. There are no exceptions so quit pretending there are.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
So first post by OP. Claims the broken glass is a PRODUCTION ERROR, does not have applecare, apple denies claim, and notified a lawyer. So by the time the OP gets done paying a lawyer and ultimately losing, he/she could have got the screen replaced for $129 at least 10 times over.

meeks

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005

Alright I had the EXACT same issue as you did with my Plus. It came out of the box that way with a tiny tiny chip on the bottom of the screen. I took it to my local Apple Store and told them. The guy agreed it wasn't from mishandling but a production issue. They would have swapped it for a brand new one in store but they didn't have any stock. I had to call the 1800 number to get it replaced. Apple sent me shipping label and I send the defective phone back. 2 days later my brand new Plus arrived perfect out of the box. I'm very happy the way they handled the issue. Hope this helps anyone out there who has the same problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.