Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyd409

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
How do you secure your personal information, that is information of a financial nature and or information that contains sensitive identity information like social security number (on tax forms) and the like?

Like most people I need to get serious about safeguarding personal info.

I am considering secure DMG's and letting them just propagate into my normal backup process, which involves Time Machine and main HD cloning.

Any other suggestions?

TIA

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
When I get a new machine, the first thing I do is turn on FileVault. I make sure that Time Machine backups are similarly encrypted.

A.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I recommend you use OS X's FileVault 2, which will encrypt your entire drive. This will protect your data in the event your computer is stolen.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
If you're not interested in encrypting the entire drive and only wish to encrypt certain files and folders, you can use gpgtools to do so. It's an open-source encryption suite based on the ultra-secure PGP encryption standard almost once classified as a weapon by the US Congress in the 1990's.

I use it to encrypt a few things that I store in Dropbox.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Similar to what SandboxGeneral mentioned, is Knox by AgileBits, the maker of 1Password. I've never tried Knox, so I can't say how good it is personally, but just wanted to throw that out there. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.