Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Not sure. I know in my case I had my iPad active on tmobile (it is a tmobile iPad). Then I tricked Verizon with the IMEI provided above to activate a new SIM and now it all works good.

Didn't work completely for me :(. I used the IEMI number from this thread and was able to order a sim over the phone from Verizon (1GB $20) . I put the sim in my rMini and connected to Verizon and was able to use the LTE. I then went to settings -> view account and it gave me a "Cannot Activate Your iPad" message. I called the Verizon activation phone number and was told the sim is activated and that I needed to access account settings via my device. After that failed, I attempted to go to verizonwireless.com to see what I could do. I don't have an account there so I tried to make one.

They ask you
1) Phone number -> got it from sim.
2) Device type -> clicked on tablet.
3) IEMI to see if you qualify -> used the one from this thread.
4) 20 digit code from the sim card -> entered it.
5) Plan type -> clicked prepaid

Finally got to the registration page for a new account.

I filled in everything, hit the submit button, and nothing happened.
I switched browsers and the same thing happened (i.e. nothing).

Did all of you who got it working already have a Verizon wireless plan for some other device (phone etc.) ?

chazfarote

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
I'm sorry, did you say you got LTE? That is what we are trying to achieve!

It's been posted that the "view account" does NOT work from the iPad, you have to use the website.

I was on the More Everything plan, again, no idea how prepaid would work.

Now, if you got LTE, what more do you want?

roobydoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2014
They ask you
1) Phone number -> got it from sim.
2) Device type -> clicked on tablet.
3) IEMI to see if you qualify -> used the one from this thread.
4) 20 digit code from the sim card -> entered it.
5) Plan type -> clicked prepaid

Finally got to the registration page for a new account.

I filled in everything, hit the submit button, and nothing happened.
I switched browsers and the same thing happened (i.e. nothing).

Did all of you who got it working already have a Verizon wireless plan for some other device (phone etc.) ?

Go back to the "Register" link.Read how it says that they send you a registration pin through text to your phone number.Did you get a text on your ipad?For me with the verizon ipad mini the text popped up on my screen.If you're not getting the text,you may have to call them.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I'm sorry, did you say you got LTE? That is what we are trying to achieve!

It's been posted that the "view account" does NOT work from the iPad, you have to use the website.

I was on the More Everything plan, again, no idea how prepaid would work.

Now, if you got LTE, what more do you want?

I got LTE and could connect. I'm just unable to create an account on the website with an AT&T rMini. Without an account, I'm unable to add data or even setup a monthly account.

Go back to the "Register" link.Read how it says that they send you a registration pin through text to your phone number.Did you get a text on your ipad?For me with the verizon ipad mini the text popped up on my screen.If you're not getting the text,you may have to call them.

My rMini is AT&T so I will not get a text message and Verizon support will not help (not a Verizon iPad). I figure that the last option I have is to find someone at work with a Verizon iPhone5/6 and ask them to let me put my sim in their iPhone for 5-10 minutes. I could then receive the pin, complete the registration online and have my sim linked to my account. It would then list my iPad as a generic device but, I could add minutes when needed. Otherwise, once the data I have expires, the sim is useless since I can never add data.

***** Important for those people who want to put a Verizon sim in an AT&T rMini ****

You really need to have a Verizon account before you call Verizon and order the Sim card. Verizon will send you a sim card without a Verizon account but, you can not create a Verizon account on a non-Verizon rMini (may not be an issue with the Mini 3 since there is only one version). You can also not create an account online since Verizon is unable to text a non Verizon rMini the pin code. Without an account, you are unable to add data to a sim.

Last edited:

roobydoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2014
Plutonius,did you try calling verizon prepaid?They were very helpful when I had problems.They couldn't fix the problem,but they certainly were trying.

Dudefoxlive

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2014
NO
Problem

i was trying to get the video off of my phone but the thing is i have to render it and that takes time but i will pm you when it is uploaded so i can show you what i am talking about

chazfarote

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
Oh I see now. Maybe try it with any Verizon device, not just iPhone. If I knew you I'd hand you my phone to get it done.

roobydoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2014
i was trying to get the video off of my phone but the thing is i have to render it and that takes time but i will pm you when it is uploaded so i can show you what i am talking about

No problem.Hopefully we can get this thing working.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
iPad: 4th
Model: A1459
iOS: 8.1
Any other information you need just let me know.:)
Not gonna work. The AT&T iPad 4th gen does not have CDMA hardware nor the necessary LTE bands required by Verizon.

For both the iPad 3rd and 4th gen:

Verizon iPad -> works on AT&T 3G/HSPA but not on LTE

AT&T iPad -> does NOT work at all on Verizon

Dudefoxlive

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2014
NO
Incorrect

One person has activated a at&t ipad on Verizon and I k of that it is possible but that only thing is that you will only get 3g it may say LTE but it is only 3g because they share 3g bands.

chazfarote

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
I know this works for sure for iPad Air and iPad mini with retina and above.

Don't know about older models but it makes sense they would not work because of CDMA.

mbaran

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
Just to be clear, if I have a Verizon 4G LTE SIM in my iPad Mini 1 right now, I can just pop it into an AT&T iPad Mini 2 and it will work?

The SIM is part of a business account and is provisioned as a MiFi device. I have never been able to manage the service via the iPad, as it's registered as a MiFi.

Last edited:

chazfarote

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
Just to be clear, if I have a Verizon 4G LTE SIM in my iPad Mini 1 right now, I can just pop it into an AT&T iPad Mini 2 and it will work?

The SIM is part of a business account and is provisioned as a MiFi device. I have never been able to manage the service via the iPad, as it's registered as a MiFi.

For a mini 1 I don't know. I know for a mini retina it is a yes.

mbaran

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
For a mini 1 I don't know. I know for a mini retina it is a yes.

They're both nanosim, I had to cut it down manually from the MiFi.

I assume the SIM is pre-activated so it should just go.

I wish apple refurb had verizon tablets available.

roobydoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2014

Yes.The activated Verizon sim will work fully in the AT&T mini 2.Can you access the MiFi account online?Verizon recently updated their software and now I can manage my prepaid tablet data plan online,where as prior to the update,I could not.

mbaran

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
Yes.The activated Verizon sim will work fully in the AT&T mini 2.Can you access the MiFi account online?Verizon recently updated their software and now I can manage my prepaid tablet data plan online,where as prior to the update,I could not.

My work pays for it, so I don't usually try to get in there to see the status. I think it's just a large shared bucket of data for al of our MiFi's.

I didn't need to change anything when I put it in the Verizon Mini 1, it just told me that since it was a pre-configured SIM, I couldn't see any details from the iPad itself.

I keep the MiFi as a backup to use on occasion.

roobydoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2014
My work pays for it, so I don't usually try to get in there to see the status. I think it's just a large shared bucket of data for al of our MiFi's.

I didn't need to change anything when I put it in the Verizon Mini 1, it just told me that since it was a pre-configured SIM, I couldn't see any details from the iPad itself.

I keep the MiFi as a backup to use on occasion.

I'm not sure if the MiFi sim can do it,but with the Verizon tablet sim,you can use the personal hotspot.If you could use the hotspot,you wouldn't have to bother with the MiFi.

mbaran

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
I'm not sure if the MiFi sim can do it,but with the Verizon tablet sim,you can use the personal hotspot.If you could use the hotspot,you wouldn't have to bother with the MiFi.

Oh yeah, I use the iPad all the time as my personal hotspot. The SIM doesn't seem to care because it's already provisioned for bulk data, so it works great.

I keep the MiFi for just when I want to travel without the iPad and have WiFi.

Dudefoxlive

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2014
NO
OK well if i cant do that then is there a way that i can hide my data usage for verizon or can i not if so can someone please tell me how because then that would help a lot i dont want to be stuck with 3 GB or 4 GB a month i will go over that in like 1 or 2 hours.

roobydoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2014
Oh yeah, I use the iPad all the time as my personal hotspot. The SIM doesn't seem to care because it's already provisioned for bulk data, so it works great.

I keep the MiFi for just when I want to travel without the iPad and have WiFi.

Yeah,I just got a verizon iphone 5s and I'm running my prepaid AT&T tablet sim in it right now.When my AT&T data is up at the end of the month,I will put data on my verizon prepaid tablet data sim and put that in the iphone.The hotspot should work with the iphone.I will only need a gig a month for now.So,$20 a month for a cell phone isn't too bad at all.I use google hangouts for my phone calls.

Dudefoxlive

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2014
NO
Cool i use a verizon galaxy nexus running Cyanogenmod 11 and it is good but it is a pain because the battery dies to fast makes me want to go back to my galaxy stellar so yea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.