Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I doubt many people would be interested in this, but one never knows.

After probably about 16 hours of work (with some sleep involved too), I finally got a working VM of Linux Gentoo running. Thank God for Snapshots in VMware. I took several several Snapshots at key points during the build and they came in quite useful when I'd screwed something up.

Late last night when I got to the part where I had to build and compile the kernel and then wait, I ended up falling asleep on the couch until I awoke at 3am. Then I went to bed and picked up work today around 10am. Now it's all done.

I don't really know what I will do with it. I only built it to see if I could and to practice on Linux and learn some command line stuff. That's why I chose Gentoo because it's all command line, and tough for a newbie like me.

Now, I wonder if I can copy the VM, made in Fusion 7 to my VSphere environment at the office...
Screen Shot 2014-11-08 at 1.30.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-08 at 1.31.02 PM.png

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I do have one issue that I need to figure out. Because it's in a VM and you have to press Control + Command to release the cursor from Linux back to OS X, when pressing the Command button Linux displays a bunch of info and I don't know how to get back to a working prompt. I can type stuff in but nothing happens.

The only way to get back is to reboot it either by pressing control + alt + delete or restart from VMware controls.

I didn't have this issue throughout the install process at all on the LiveCD (or actually ISO). Just when I am booted into the final product does this happen.
Screen Shot 2014-11-08 at 1.41.07 PM.png

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Gentoo is a good distro. I'd use it myself, but just never had the time for compiling and didn't really care enough to sit through it. I do like that they use init scripts instead of the systemd abomination that Arch and others use now. One of these days Gentoo will replace Arch on my MBP.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Gentoo is a good distro. I'd use it myself, but just never had the time for compiling and didn't really care enough to sit through it. I do like that they use init scripts instead of the systemd abomination that Arch and others use now. One of these days Gentoo will replace Arch on my MBP.

I mostly don't know what I'm doing in Linux distros like Gentoo, but that's partly why I did this - so I could learn something.

I'm so glad I have VMware now and can do this in a VM. Several years ago I tried loading it onto an old HP PC and never accomplished it. I could get far past the partitioning of the disk - I don't really know why though anymore.

But with the VM, it's so easy to run and build and backup with snapshots and such that working on it is a breeze in comparison to a regular PC.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Good job! Gentoo is not easy but it does get easier once you've done it a couple times. Gentoo is one of the most flexible distros out there time to see what it can do :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What issues were you running into? I haven't done it recently, but in the past, I've installed both Fedora and Ubunutu in VMware. Both worked fairly seamlessly though video acceleration was not enabled, i.e., the VMware video drivers were not compatible.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
What issues were you running into? I haven't done it recently, but in the past, I've installed both Fedora and Ubunutu in VMware. Both worked fairly seamlessly though video acceleration was not enabled, i.e., the VMware video drivers were not compatible.

The only issue I have so far is in post #2. Pressing the Command button makes the OS display odd stuff and I can't get back to a useable prompt - have to reboot it.

I press the command button + control to release the cursor back to OS X.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
hehe, that's just it. I don't know what to do with it now... :p

emerge is what you do! :p

It's one of a couple distro's do not enforce dependency versions, software will build on the lib you have installed. The only reason I switched away from Gentoo is I don't want to build everything from source. There are things particularly A/V stuff that runs noticeably better when built from source but I don't really care much if firefox or libreoffice for example are binary or source.

Welcome to the dark side of the force :eek:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The only issue I have so far is in post #2. Pressing the Command button makes the OS display odd stuff and I can't get back to a useable prompt - have to reboot it.

Did you try installing the VMware tools for Linux. I was able to do that for Ubuntu and that removed the need to hit the cmd key. I'm not sure if the distro you're using will be compatible with the vmware tools.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Did you try installing the VMware tools for Linux. I was able to do that for Ubuntu and that removed the need to hit the cmd key. I'm not sure if the distro you're using will be compatible with the vmware tools.

I have not tried that yet, for the same reason; I'm not sure if it will work or not. But, I will give it a whirl and see what happens.

I did update VMware the other day to the latest version and there were some updates for Linux included.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

I'm not really sure how to do this in Gentoo.
Screen Shot 2014-11-10 at 9.17.10 AM.png

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I do have one issue that I need to figure out. Because it's in a VM and you have to press Control + Command to release the cursor from Linux back to OS X, when pressing the Command button Linux displays a bunch of info and I don't know how to get back to a working prompt. I can type stuff in but nothing happens.

Did you try pressing enter?

If that doesn't work just bring up a different TTY. Use f1 - f6 to change between them.

mac8867

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL

I run several gentoos (for database servers) in VMWF7. First rule, never run the console in full screen, just leave it as a window. When you navigate away, it usually goes dark. To get back in, click in the window, giving "focus" to the VM, then hit return, you can also hit ctrl-d, which is a "non-killing" unix stop command.

If you want a new challenge, install Oracle on your gentoo vm... then, install an Oracle rac cluster on a pair of them -- good stuff! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.