Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
If you didn't see the warnings and updated to 10.10.2, how do you restore the efi in order to boot your Mac again. I have a Mac Pro 2,1. Was going to attempt a time machine restore, but can't boot from usb when holding the option key. I was previously using 10.10.1 without issues.

Do you have a second Mac that you can use?

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware
Looks like I need a firewire 800 to 800 wire. I have the other one. I wish there was another way. Hopefully I can get to a store before they close today. Crap.

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware
If you have a SATA to USB adapter you can use that or you can burn your USB installer to a DVD and boot from that on the MacPro.

Duh! Why didn't I think about the SATA to USB Adapter? SMH Thank you so much. Would you mind giving me the exact directions so I don't mess this up? I know I need to re-download either the grey or black EFI file. Is it really as simple as going to the appropriate directory and copying the file there?

Thanks

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Works great, made a USB manually. On the third install.

1) First install went smooth, got all apps loaded. However, failed to boot after I swapped it into the ODD Sata bay. SSD could not be repaired via Disk Utility attached to another Mac. Had to format and restart over again.

2) Second install failed. Stuck on your computer is now restarting.

3) Installed and seems to work.

Any other things I have to do for 10.10.1 final post-install not mentioned in the guide?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Works great, made a USB manually. On the third install.

1) First install went smooth, got all apps loaded. However, failed to boot after I swapped it into the ODD Sata bay. SSD could not be repaired via Disk Utility attached to another Mac. Had to format and restart over again.

2) Second install failed. Stuck on your computer is now restarting.

3) Installed and seems to work.

Any other things I have to do for 10.10.1 final post-install not mentioned in the guide?

You will want to follow the instructions in post #1584. The upcoming 10.10.2 update does replace the boot.efi files. The instructions in that post will prevent it from being a problem.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
This is a bit of an odd request but does anyone who added a pioneer bdr drive to their Mac Pro still have the drive tray faceplate? I don't know what I did with mine and would be interested in buying one if anyone has it. The drive I have is specifically the BDR-206.

Not any more I’m afraid.
This is off topic so I’ll be very brief.
I had one of those back in the day and it prevented my Mac from sleeping.
If I left a disk in the drive for too long, (3 - 4 hours idle), I couldn’t get it to eject. Had to reboot the system.

You seen these issues?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Not any more I’m afraid.

This is off topic so I’ll be very brief.

I had one of those back in the day and it prevented my Mac from sleeping.

If I left a disk in the drive for too long, (3 - 4 hours idle), I couldn’t get it to eject. Had to reboot the system.

You seen these issues?

Nope no issues with the drive.

BigMacSmall

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2014
If you have access to another Mac that is Yosemite "legit" get ahold of an SSD or any 2.5" drive and a $5 USB adapter. Run the install on the other Mac, then migrate anything you need from that Mac. Restart from other drive on the other Mac and place the boot.efi files, repair permissions and YOU ARE DONE.

Move the drive to unsupported Mac and enjoy! If you want or need it on 3.5" drive use Restore.

It really is a whole lot easier than hacking the installer. I have 2 unsupported Macs running via this method. Worked the first time and I moved on to other things. If it has become a major endeavor you are doing it wrong.

Good advice, after some struggle with USB-installers I choose this method and it worked (Mac Pro 1,1). So much easier this way.

I also did it like that for my white MacBook 4,1, it has 64-bit EFI but different challenges. Didn't work at first, then I noticed for some reason it was booting from the recovery partition so I had to modify the supported list to that one too.

Why this model isn't supported is the graphics. Found drivers for audio and GMA X3100, the machine is pretty usable with them but no OpenGL. And I don't do much with a machne without it. Maybe should try Mountain Lion with 32-bit kernel.

But I'm happy for the Mac Pro, will make some donation for the Pike guy!

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Having an issue with my Xserve where it won't boot into Yosemite when I have a PCIe graphics card installed. I have tried with both my Yosemite install on an internal hard disk as well as a SFOTT key, and it just hangs or reboots itself depending on which card I use. I don't suppose anyone else is running into this issue, or whether anyone else has even installed Yosemite on their Xserve?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X Yosemite

Hey all,

I am going to be parting out my Mac Pro if anyone is interested in some of the parts. Here is a list of what I have:

2 - x5365 Xeon Processors - Quad Core @ 3.0GHz

1 - 4 port USB 3.0 PCIe card with 24" sleeved molex extension cable

4 - 2GB OWC ram with heat sinks

1 - MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III gpu with two power cables

1 - Power Supply (part no. 614-0383)

Last edited:

THORNiCUS

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
Hey all,

I am going to be parting out my Mac Pro if anyone is interested in some of the parts. Here is a list of what I have:

2 - x5365 Xeon Processors - Quad Core @ 3.0GHz
2 - x5150 Xeon Processors - Dual Core @ 2.66GHz
1 - Pioneer BD-RE data drive with molex to SATA splitter and SATA cable
1 - Pioneer DVD-RW
1 - 4 port USB 3.0 PCIe card with 24" sleeved molex extension cable
4 - 512MB OWC ram with heat sinks
4 - 2GB OWC ram with heat sinks
1 - MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III gpu with two power cables
2 - Power Supplies (part no. 614-0383)

Also available are all of the other small pieces like the drive sleds and the RAM riser boards. If someone wants to buy the complete computer I can also do that but warning the shipping will be expensive because of the weight. I tried replacing the power supply with a used/tested one and the computer still wouldn't boot so I think the logic board is shot and I am just going to build something new. The GTX 570 won't be available till January when I build the new computer an buy a new GPU.

Is that DVD-RW the same as the 'SuperDrive' in a MacPro 2,1? Mine is no good and won't let me use the external usb apple one (won't even show up) to use boot camp and install windows.

Also, is that the graphics card the fastest you can get that will work with hacked Yosemite MacPro 2,1?

Thanks!

----------

If you have access to another Mac that is Yosemite "legit" get ahold of an SSD or any 2.5" drive and a $5 USB adapter. Run the install on the other Mac, then migrate anything you need from that Mac. Restart from other drive on the other Mac and place the boot.efi files, repair permissions and YOU ARE DONE.

Move the drive to unsupported Mac and enjoy! If you want or need it on 3.5" drive use Restore.

It really is a whole lot easier than hacking the installer. I have 2 unsupported Macs running via this method. Worked the first time and I moved on to other things. If it has become a major endeavor you are doing it wrong.

Brilliant solution and by far the easiest if you have access to another yosemite Mac and an external drive. I just made an image of that installed copy and then have that as backup if things go to hell and hand basket.

Even fixed the kernel panic issues I was having using the hacked installer!

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Is that DVD-RW the same as the 'SuperDrive' in a MacPro 2,1? Mine is no good and won't let me use the external usb apple one (won't even show up) to use boot camp and install windows.

Also, is that the graphics card the fastest you can get that will work with hacked Yosemite MacPro 2,1?

Thanks![

It is not the original SuperDrive that came with the Mac, that one went bad.

The GTX 570 is no longer the fastest GPU now that the 970 and 980 are out which also only need two 6pin power cables.

bunts

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
UK
You need the adapter. Check my post before this one...#1874.

I have a 1,1. The card and adapter combo replaces your existing airport extreme card. Your existing BT card is not needed. There are 4 jacks on the new card. Jack 3 (J3) is where you plug the BT antenna. J0 and J1 is where you plug the two antennas from your old airport extreme card. There is also an unused airport antenna that I plugged into J2.

With the card (jacks) facing you the jacks are ordered: J2 J3 J1 J0.

I got my Wifi and Bluetooth card today, but removing the old card is becoming a real headache. Wondering if anyone else had problems unscrewing the screws?

I've stopped now before I strip the screws anymore, but the screws won't budge. I have the right size screwdriver, but they ain't playing!

Any advice from anyone who has removed an old wifi card from a mac pro 1,1?

And any advice on how to remove tough screws?

Thought removing the screws would be the least of my problems getting this to work!

Appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.